Why Not Just Design The Joes In Classic Uniforms?

Lady Jaye

yeah 04 was a HUGE step backwards, it nearly had me quiting joe, and i bleiver several people around here did, so hopefully next year will be better.

I would have to disagree with this year being a step back, sure some of the figures were not painted that great but for the most part there were some good figures in VvsV. I applaud HASBRO for trying to do something different. As far a step back; given that we got 6 waves this year (some AA and some not), comic packs, re-issues (anti venom, cobra urban, cobra troop pack), jungle stike hummer, sting radier, ice sabre, adder, quickstrike, some awesome repaints with wave 4.5 and finally a freaking awesome SS I would have to say this year has been awesome! I can only hope that next year will be even better. All the stuff that is coming out is great and the crimson sabotague coming out shortly is enough for me to conclude that HASBRO are in the right direction. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So every indication is that the 2005 line (BAT Uprising) will keep in line with the repaints seen in VvV Waves 4-6 (IE, realistic, military-appropriate).  Plus, with Hasbro unveiling the new arm articulation at the Joe con, it's proof that the 'Bro is moving against the "purist" view that you have to produce a figure as close to vintage as possible, and concerning themselves more with making a solid, good looking toy that's enjoyable by both kids and adults.

We took a giant step backward in 2004.  2005, hopefully, will be a giant leap forward.

Really I read that the next story line is NOT rise of the Bats:

as posted on steelbrigade.com:

HASBRO has previously confirmed that the Valor vs. Venom theme continues through the Summer of 2005. However, the only information they will reveal at this time - is that the new theme starting in the Fall is not titled "Rise of the B.A.T.S."!

Don't trust everything that comes from them. The next theme is Bats. Now whether its called Rise of the Bats or not, who knows.

Draven

True, and I do not, I am only trying to post what I find on the web and so far all the stuff "just about" has been confirmed when product hits the shelves.

yeah 04 was a HUGE step backwards, it nearly had me quiting joe, and i bleiver several people around here did, so hopefully next year will be better.

I would have to disagree with this year being a step back, sure some of the figures were not painted that great but for the most part there were some good figures in VvsV. I applaud HASBRO for trying to do something different. As far a step back; given that we got 6 waves this year (some AA and some not), comic packs, re-issues (anti venom, cobra urban, cobra troop pack), jungle stike hummer, sting radier, ice sabre, adder, quickstrike, some awesome repaints with wave 4.5 and finally a freaking awesome SS I would have to say this year has been awesome! I can only hope that next year will be even better. All the stuff that is coming out is great and the crimson sabotague coming out shortly is enough for me to conclude that HASBRO are in the right direction. :)

I'm going to have to agree with ya Tazz. The year started out bad but its turned out to rock. A hell of a lot better than any year since RAH glory days. And I have a feeling next year will be even better!

Draven

So every indication is that the 2005 line (BAT Uprising) will keep in line with the repaints seen in VvV Waves 4-6 (IE, realistic, military-appropriate).  Plus, with Hasbro unveiling the new arm articulation at the Joe con, it's proof that the 'Bro is moving against the "purist" view that you have to produce a figure as close to vintage as possible, and concerning themselves more with making a solid, good looking toy that's enjoyable by both kids and adults.

We took a giant step backward in 2004.  2005, hopefully, will be a giant leap forward.

HASBRO has previously confirmed that the Valor vs. Venom theme continues through the Summer of 2005. However, the only information they will reveal at this time - is that the new theme starting in the Fall is not titled "Rise of the B.A.T.S."!

Don't trust everything that comes from them. The next theme is Bats. Now whether its called Rise of the Bats or not, who knows.

Draven

True, and I do not, I am only trying to post what I find on the web and so far all the stuff "just about" has been confirmed when product hits the shelves.

I know man. And they may be right. It may not be Rise of the Bats but Bats that Rise. @loll@ ;)

Draven

Draven

I know man. And they may be right. It may not be Rise of the Bats but Bats that Rise. @loll@ ;)

Draven

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@ good one!

I really don't think you could pass some of the old uniforms today. Camo or not. Duke walking around in his button up just doesn't work for me. Snake Eyes with his sun glasses from V1 looks very dated by today's standards (or even by V2 standards). To try and classify G.I. Joe as a military line is really reaching. They're more sci-fi with military elements mixed in. The original 13 may have been made to be military all the way, but after that, it was fair game. I like them less militaristic. And that's coming from someone who is also in the military.

You're right - the first characters do look dated. I was talking more about '84-'87... when it was a military line. The only time sci-fi really came into play was when the movie came out. Hey, that was about the time GI Joe lost its popularity, wasn't it?

Anyway, I guess I prefer them to be more militaristic. If you want sci-fi collect Star Wars figures. And that's coming from soneone in the military, too!

.... comic packs, re-issues (anti venom, cobra urban, cobra troop pack), ...

I'll agree with that. RAH reissues and repaints were stellar this year. Add to that current Whirlwind reissue and the upcoming Ninja Striker Team and ASP, this year is gonna go out strong. I hope to see more of this next year.

I'll agree with that. RAH reissues and repaints were stellar this year. Add to that current Whirlwind reissue and the upcoming Ninja Striker Team and ASP, this year is gonna go out strong. I hope to see more of this next year.

To be honest, I'd like a straight-up, classic colour reissue series, like Hasbro and Takara are doing with Transformers. '80s rule!

.... comic packs, re-issues (anti venom, cobra urban, cobra troop pack), ...

opps, @loll@ for got about the ninja sets!!!! Sorry I am looking forward to those too :)

Steel Brigade's quote only states a specific TITLE, not the STORY LINE. careful not to confuse the two.

Steel Brigade's quote only states a specific TITLE, not the STORY LINE. careful not to confuse the two.

Correct and I am not confusing the two, thanks for the FYI though. I am sure it is going to be something with BATS for the next theme.

Look at the customs in the other thread, those are so remeniscint of the classic Joes, but updated just a tad, and they look so sweeeeeet!!! That and they aren't as wide shouldered as the Hasbro figures are!!!!

Man why can't Hasbro hire these guys, and not the buffoons they have now!!!! @firedevil@

Snake Eyes with his sun glasses from V1 looks very dated by today's standards (or even by V2 standards).

not really. the VvV Snake Eyes is pretty much wearing sunglasses and many people swear that this version is one of the best of the character. the 89 Snake Eyes is also wearing what could be classified as sunglasses as well, which the VvV SE's resembles in more than several ways, and the mold tends to be another favorite.

I wasn't saying that having sunglasses makes you dated, simply that the ones the first version had made him appear dated. I wouldn't try to pass a V1 Snake Eyes off in my Joeverse if you paid me. He just looks too awkward, and his uniform really looks like something old. It wouldn't work today. Maybe for someone trying to relive their memories of the ol' days, but Hasbro is geared towards selling this stuff to the kids of today, and they're not going to want some lame looking ninja dude.

Also, as for 2004 being a bad year, I think the sentence was taken out of context. It was stated that the dude that started the VvV really began to hurt the wave. So far, almost everything that people said they liked came from Wave 4 or after. And that was when the dude had left. So, the point was made that because of this guys ideas to change the progress made in 2003, that 2004 was a step back. That is true. Now, near the end of the year, they are making a turn towards the right direction. But, it was looking bad at the beginning of the year. I remember all the gripes and complaints before the Con. It was ugly. So many people were saying that they were quiting collecting because of VvV. Now, with the turn around, everyone is loving what Hasbro is doing. 2004 started off bad, but it's rebounded nicely.

To be honest, I'd like a straight-up, classic colour reissue series, like Hasbro and Takara are doing with Transformers. '80s rule!

I would agree on some of the older years figures, that their colors are perfect. But some of the original's funky colors and late 90's neon crazy can stay in the past. It's all subjective, I guess.

I very much like Takara/Hasbro's approach on TF. I do pick up the Takara versions of the G1 stuff once in a while. I do wish Takara would do the Dinobots already.

One deisgn feature from the 80's I would really like to see brought back is Storm Shadow's original back pack sheath for his swords. The swords came out from the same side, rather than either side like the 'X' design of todays figs. I realize the 'X' might be more practical ninja action-wise, but I still really liked that style and would like to see it updated.

I don't see why they couldn't do more "classic" looking figures with new sculpts. Some they did (Lady Jaye, Eel), others they did not (Leatherneck, Backblast) and others look BETTER than the originals (Slip Stream, Bazooka).

That's what is going to suck about Spirit. He'll be in that boring black outifit instead of his RAH look.

I don't see why they couldn't do more "classic" looking figures with new sculpts. Some they did (Lady Jaye, Eel), others they did not (Leatherneck, Backblast) and others look BETTER than the originals (Slip Stream, Bazooka).

That's what is going to suck about Spirit. He'll be in that boring black outifit instead of his RAH look.

You do realize how popular that look on him is though? Don't get me wrong i'd love a more classic update but this look is still sweet. I like his hair better unbraided too, so i'm digging this potemtial mold.

DRaven

What I want to know is why in the hell do they keem making my namesake wear a freakin hat???? She needs to lose that hat, and the sking tight jammies, and go back to her camo pants, and opened up army shirt, like in the cartoon and the comic!!! She would so much better!!!!! But they give this ugly skin tight outfit, looks like nothing the army would issue, and a hat. Soften her up guys, she's supposed to be the hot one of the group!!!! Am I right, or am I right????

What I want to know is why in the hell do they keem making my namesake wear a freakin hat???? She needs to lose that hat, and the sking tight jammies, and go back to her camo pants, and opened up army shirt, like in the cartoon and the comic!!! She would so much better!!!!! But they give this ugly skin tight outfit, looks like nothing the army would issue, and a hat. Soften her up guys, she's supposed to be the hot one of the group!!!! Am I right, or am I right????

No, I think Scarlett's supposed to be the hot one of the group. Lady Jaye's second fiddle to the lady in red.

Oh you are so worng sir, Lady Jaye is the hottest one of the group, she has that sultry voice, the great brunette hair, and her ourfit was better too. Oh and she had the manliest of mans, Flint to call her own!!!!

No, I think Scarlett's supposed to be the hot one of the group. Lady Jaye's second fiddle to the lady in red.

Covergirl was supposed to be the hotty, that everyone wanted, but no one came close. She was the #1 by default.

Scarlett was the fiery one with nice body that a few guys had their eyes on. She was #2 because she was banging the boss man (at least in the cartoon).

Lady Jaye, now that was my secret favorite. I agree that she had the voice (although after seeing the voice actor, I have a scarred image), and she had the looks, too. But she was more like the one that no one noticed, but was a closet hotty. I got to admit, in the episode where she had to dress up to seduce that millionare before the Baroness (or some crazy thing like that), she really looked like she could have been #1 on the list.

Man, how can I say all this without sound like a psycho?

#US1#

How bout the fan pack coming out?!

I thinkmost of us chose Bazooka/torch because

A.) Torch would help complete some 'Noks

B.) Bazooka HAD AN ORIGINAL UNIFORM THAT WAS COLORFUL AND COOL!!!!!! the figure they are giving us looks like a generic BBI figure. Which isnt a bad thing but I think we were all hoping for the football jerseyed Bazooka!