Why Not Just Design The Joes In Classic Uniforms?

Lady Jaye

Why doesn't hasbro give us the Joes and Cobras we know and love in classic uniforms, but with the new style bodies??? I mean who here would love to have Snake Eyes version II in a new updated body???? How about a simpler Storm Shadow, in hsi classic white uniform???? I would love to see that, and would get back into GI JOE collecting headfirst!!!!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think those original ideas were great for the 80's, but wouldn't leave the pegs today. True, some of them, like the ninjas, would still sell well. The ninja thing really doesn't get old. But if you tried to give me the original Rock N Roll, there's no way I would buy that. I know some collectors would go ga-ga over that idea, but Hasbro has to cater to the younger collectors that want the new updated stuff. In order to give the collectors some nostalgia, I think Hasbro is doing well with the comic packs. They may not have new body styles, but I know collectors are loving them. Me, personally, I could take or leave them.

Personally, I think those original ideas were great for the 80's, but wouldn't leave the pegs today.  True, some of them, like the ninjas, would still sell well.  The ninja thing really doesn't get old.  But if you tried to give me the original Rock N Roll, there's no way I would buy that.  I know some collectors would go ga-ga over that idea, but Hasbro has to cater to the younger collectors that want the new updated stuff.  In order to give the collectors some nostalgia, I think Hasbro is doing well with the comic packs.  They may not have new body styles, but I know collectors are loving them.  Me, personally, I could take or leave them.

True but not all of the designs have to be updated. I mean I liked the Rock N Roll version two with the double barrel cannons on his shoulders, a whole lot better than the original.

I mean come on, who wouldn't kill for a Tomax and Xamot in their classic uniforms, just update the hair a bit!!!! @smilepunch@ And you have a winner!!!!! Just look at your avatar!!!! @loll@

Ooooh, that's below the belt. @loll@ But very true. I actually use the older Twins in my Joeverse ( can't say that word without feeling nerdy). They really screwed up on them with JvC. I forgive them, though. They did at least acknowledge them. I'm not 100% sold on the new type figures. I think they still need some work, and wouldn't hold the nostalgia of the original style if they redid some of the same ideas.

I actually use the older Twins in my Joeverse

I display the original twins in my collection as well. The only way I would buy a new version of them, is if they were made available in the comic 3-packs. Same body, just a new head sculpt.

And get the scar right this time. The RAH Collecter's editions from 2000 had a scar on both Tomax and Xamot, and the Spy Troops version of Xamot had his scar crossing down, over his eye (kinda like Snake-eyes's scar)

I knew I could make you see my way of thinking. Just imagine a new Two pack of the Cirmson Guard Commanders, with classic style outfits, new styled hair, but with an awesome new body instead of the old one??

How about a Flint, with his old beret, and outfit, including the bandoliers full of shot guns bullets!!!!! Oh to dream!!!! @loll@

Well the main reason why before now has been Hasbro's reluctence to admit adults were collecting like we are. Now they are aware of it and we should start to see some classic designed figs soon. Meaning close and very reminiscent of the old RAH favs. And Snake Eyes next year is so close to v2 RAH you all will be blown away. A lot of guys here have seen him so they will know the greatness I mention!

Draven

Personally, I think those original ideas were great for the 80's, but wouldn't leave the pegs today. True, some of them, like the ninjas, would still sell well. The ninja thing really doesn't get old. But if you tried to give me the original Rock N Roll, there's no way I would buy that. I know some collectors would go ga-ga over that idea, but Hasbro has to cater to the younger collectors that want the new updated stuff. In order to give the collectors some nostalgia, I think Hasbro is doing well with the comic packs. They may not have new body styles, but I know collectors are loving them. Me, personally, I could take or leave them.

I think you're wrong... What is not cool about the old designs? We're talking about military figures here... The only thing I figure would look outdated is the uniform (ie: not camo). Otherwise, the designs are better than I've seen in a long while.

I don't collect any of the GI Joes that Hasbro is currently selling, but I'm seriously thinking about picking up the comic 3-packs that are out (if I can find them, that is). This is the direction Hasbro should be taking!

Really?? Are there pics or links to the new Snake Eyes????

Sadly no, Hasbro showed it at the con and no pics were aloud.

Draven

If the figure is close to the V2 figure, you think there is a chance we might also get a new sculpt Timber? One that actually looks like Timber, not Sandstorm (Dusty's coyote that was repainted to be Timber in the DVD set)

I would also like to see him with a newly sculpted sword, that resembles the sword that came with V2. The one with the eagle head on the hilt.

I think you're wrong... What is not cool about the old designs? We're talking about military figures here... The only thing I figure would look outdated is the uniform (ie: not camo). Otherwise, the designs are better than I've seen in a long while.

I don't collect any of the GI Joes that Hasbro is currently selling, but I'm seriously thinking about picking up the comic 3-packs that are out (if I can find them, that is). This is the direction Hasbro should be taking!

I really don't think you could pass some of the old uniforms today. Camo or not. Duke walking around in his button up just doesn't work for me. Snake Eyes with his sun glasses from V1 looks very dated by today's standards (or even by V2 standards). To try and classify G.I. Joe as a military line is really reaching. They're more sci-fi with military elements mixed in. The original 13 may have been made to be military all the way, but after that, it was fair game. I like them less militaristic. And that's coming from someone who is also in the military.

#US1#

The original 13 may have been made to be military all the way, but after that, it was fair game. I like them less militaristic. And that's coming from someone who is also in the military.

#US1#

I have always looked at GI Joe as a group of characters, who many of which are in the military. But not all of them. Depending on what is needed for a particular situation, you have Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Navy Seals, SWAT Team, Police officers, doctors, paramedics, computer techs, computer hackers, communications experts, mechanics, martial arts experts, weapons experts, sharpshooters, etc.

Hell, there are even animal handlers and a vetrinarian.

Why doesn't hasbro give us the Joes and Cobras we know and love in classic uniforms, but with the new style bodies??? I mean who here would love to have Snake Eyes version II in a new updated body???? How about a simpler Storm Shadow, in hsi classic white uniform???? I would love to see that, and would get back into GI JOE collecting headfirst!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly. I'd buy them. Maybe Hasbro could do something like the Star Wars Vintage OTC line. Give them as much articulation as possible (Microman style) and put them on reproduction vintage cardbacks.

See, I don't think there need to be exact retro-update sculpts to make the characters accessible to nostalgia-seeking adults.

Like the new He-Man line, you just have to make them immediately recognizable. Many, but not all, the GvC guys were done this way.

Duke: Duke should always be in a tan shirt with sleeves cuffed halfway up his forearms, and od green pants. Once you take him out of this basic set-up, he can be any blone Joe. The blue vest and tan pants in VvV just don't make any sense for the character. If, however, he was hearing a black flak vest over the basic Duke uniform, you'd know for certain it was him. The Wave 4 was close, but with the tan shirt (a t-shirt, not a ress shirt) overpowered by the vest, and the camo pants, it could easily have been a Hawk figure. Also, Duke has a crew-cut,not a flat-top. the Flat-top is Hawk's hairstyle.

Scarlett 2002 is a perfect example of how you can play with the design, so long as the basic tan bodysuit and blue/black top-piece stays in place. No one mistook 2002 Scarlett for another character. The braided ponytail wasn't asthetically pleasing, but it was much truer to the character than the bangs-to-tail style of VvV.

Stalker works, so long as he has facial hair (a mustcahe alone would be better, since Roadblock has a goatee), and a beret. I'd vote for tiger-camo on his basic uniform, with any add-ons (like his now-trademark jacket) in black or solid green.

Snake-Eyes needs the visor. V2 from 1985 is a really boring uniform design, but the face is lgendary. Any black outfit, with the armored visor, is Snake-Eyes without any fear of mistaken identity.

Gung-Ho needs a bare chest with the tattoo. That defines him. Why Hasbro could give Leatherneck a bare chest in the Defense Mech pack, but not GH in Wave 4, I just don't know. The long handlebar mustache is also key, but the goatee has asserted itself in the new line, so either could work.

Personally, having heard very good things about the 2005 Snake-Eyes, I'm thinking Hasbro's people (sans Andrew Frankel) are getting back to a GvC state-of-mind. And hopefully with the new arm construction, and the willingness to restore the extra articulation of 2003/03, we'll be seeing a much moe cohesive and recognizable Joe team in 2005.

And hope against hope, a new Flint.

some of the new figures, like has been said before, are actually pretty reminisent of the old ones. like the snow serpents, wild weasle, cobra commander 2, barroness, snake eyes etc. Some of them obviously arent, but there is enough variety that you can customize them how you want (or not buy the ones you dont like)

By all accounts, Frankel was he guy who Ok-ed the VvV concept, taking the realistic-military fantasy of GvC, and pulling it directly into the sci-fi range. He also made the call to brighten up the color schemes that prevailed in the early waves of VvV.

It's also possible that he made a call, or cast a deciding vote on removing the progressive new articulation we'd seen on so many figures in 2003. Most acknowledge that only the small pocket of purists, some who are/were part of the Steel Brigade fanclub, were actually adamantly against the new articulation. In 2005, the GvC experiment will be revisited, with ankles, wrists, and such returning.

Frankel left Hasbro (most fans with close ties to Hasbro figure he was asked to leave, but Hasbro would never disgrace him by admitting that) in late 2003, after the first three waves had been green-lit. Wave 4 was taken over by the new director of Joe-toys, and the more military, duller color schemes you see on Wave 4 are a direct result of Frankel leaving.

Earlier this year, fans were up in arms about the return to 1993. Frankel was largely responsible for this. So every indication is that the 2005 line (BAT Uprising) will keep in line with the repaints seen in VvV Waves 4-6 (IE, realistic, military-appropriate). Plus, with Hasbro unveiling the new arm articulation at the Joe con, it's proof that the 'Bro is moving against the "purist" view that you have to produce a figure as close to vintage as possible, and concerning themselves more with making a solid, good looking toy that's enjoyable by both kids and adults.

We took a giant step backward in 2004. 2005, hopefully, will be a giant leap forward.

Personally, I think those original ideas were great for the 80's, but wouldn't leave the pegs today.  True, some of them, like the ninjas, would still sell well.  The ninja thing really doesn't get old.  But if you tried to give me the original Rock N Roll, there's no way I would buy that.  I know some collectors would go ga-ga over that idea, but Hasbro has to cater to the younger collectors that want the new updated stuff.  In order to give the collectors some nostalgia, I think Hasbro is doing well with the comic packs.  They may not have new body styles, but I know collectors are loving them.  Me, personally, I could take or leave them.

True but not all of the designs have to be updated. I mean I liked the Rock N Roll version two with the double barrel cannons on his shoulders, a whole lot better than the original.

I mean come on, who wouldn't kill for a Tomax and Xamot in their classic uniforms, just update the hair a bit!!!! @smilepunch@ And you have a winner!!!!! Just look at your avatar!!!! @loll@

I agree Lady Jaye. I am definitely all about seeing the Twins updated with their original uniforms.

Seems like hasbro has tried to give SOME of the Joes to us in their original uniforms, but now that you mention it it isnt often.

Really?? Are there pics or links to the new Snake Eyes????

Sadly no, Hasbro showed it at the con and no pics were aloud.

Draven

If the figure is close to the V2 figure, you think there is a chance we might also get a new sculpt Timber? One that actually looks like Timber, not Sandstorm (Dusty's coyote that was repainted to be Timber in the DVD set)

I would also like to see him with a newly sculpted sword, that resembles the sword that came with V2. The one with the eagle head on the hilt.

Well since no one else has chimmed in, yes there is a new sculpt Timber. He was shown at the con too. As was a new Junkyard. But none were aloud to have pics taken.

Draven

yeah 04 was a HUGE step backwards, it nearly had me quiting joe, and i bleiver several people around here did, so hopefully next year will be better.

So every indication is that the 2005 line (BAT Uprising) will keep in line with the repaints seen in VvV Waves 4-6 (IE, realistic, military-appropriate). Plus, with Hasbro unveiling the new arm articulation at the Joe con, it's proof that the 'Bro is moving against the "purist" view that you have to produce a figure as close to vintage as possible, and concerning themselves more with making a solid, good looking toy that's enjoyable by both kids and adults.

We took a giant step backward in 2004. 2005, hopefully, will be a giant leap forward.

Really I read that the next story line is NOT rise of the Bats:

as posted on steelbrigade.com:

HASBRO has previously confirmed that the Valor vs. Venom theme continues through the Summer of 2005. However, the only information they will reveal at this time - is that the new theme starting in the Fall is not titled "Rise of the B.A.T.S."!

So every indication is that the 2005 line (BAT Uprising) will keep in line with the repaints seen in VvV Waves 4-6 (IE, realistic, military-appropriate).  Plus, with Hasbro unveiling the new arm articulation at the Joe con, it's proof that the 'Bro is moving against the "purist" view that you have to produce a figure as close to vintage as possible, and concerning themselves more with making a solid, good looking toy that's enjoyable by both kids and adults.

We took a giant step backward in 2004.  2005, hopefully, will be a giant leap forward.

Really I read that the next story line is NOT rise of the Bats:

as posted on steelbrigade.com:

HASBRO has previously confirmed that the Valor vs. Venom theme continues through the Summer of 2005. However, the only information they will reveal at this time - is that the new theme starting in the Fall is not titled "Rise of the B.A.T.S."!

Don't trust everything that comes from them. The next theme is Bats. Now whether its called Rise of the Bats or not, who knows.

Draven