Why Do You Collect The New Stuff???

Lady Jaye

when jvc first came out, it was an easy way to recapture my youth, cheap, and fun. Both had their flaws as far as porpotions go, and i figured it would be easier to stick with the new ones. I do hate that vvv changed the scale again, ARRGHHH! but i still like some of em.

I play with em, in my room, i'm 20. My family hated my toy collecting sense i was 12, i  quit from 14 till, whenever jvc came out and i just had to get back in.  Yeah sound effects and battle scenes at all, i'm quite possibly crazy, but not for this reason! it's just plan fun, it's like a low budget video game (then again thinking about buying a video game would be soo much cheaper loL)  that you have more control over. Did i get it all covered Lol?

C'mon revSears, we're looked down upon here. Let's go back to playing while the "Gown Ups" do boring stuff like displaying and paying bills. @smilepunch@

lol, if only i could shove my bills off on someone else lol.

Silly revSears! That's what welfare is for! @smilepunch@

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I don't play I just display. Second I love the new series just as much as I did RAH, almost anyway. The detail is so much better on the new figs and as much as I hate pin heads the RAH guys have mellon heads. Neither is perfect scale wise, so I just sit back, relax and enjoy them. Whether it is the best Storm Shadow ever(VvV wave4) or the wicked cool Stalker comic pack figure. And another reason I collect VvV is like others have said I have every RAH figure I could ever want.

Draven

You said what I would have Draven..nice response...

It depends on what you consider "playing" with them. For the most part, I only display them, but I can never just leave them in one place for to long. So I "play" with them, move them around, set them up in new poses, and yes, even grab Snake-eyes and Storm Shadow every once in a while for some Ninja Smackdown action.

Also, you will find that alot of folks on this board put up dio-stories, where they take their figures (Yes, even outside) and set them up. They take pictures of them in different poses, and create a storyline. I would consider this "Playing" with them as well.

And why not? I am 30 years old, and if I want to play with my friggin' toys, then damnit, I'm gonna play with my friggin toys. I quit worrying about what people would think if they knew a looooong time ago. If they don't like, that's their problem.

I have never lost any friends because they thought my toys were lame. Most my friends collect their own toys, and play with them as well.

When I was in High School (circa 1989) I had a couple of friends who were major GI Joe collectors (They are the ones who got me started) They had a room in their garage that held all their large vehicles and playsets (GI Joe HQ, Terrordrome, Flagg) as well as having all their planes and helicopters hanging from strings from the ceiling.

They weren't just set up in random order either. Everything was set up to appear like a diorama. GI Joe HQ had the Checkpoint Alpha, as well as watch towers, etc. Cobra Bunkers surrounded the Terrordrome.

On weekends, we used to go to their house, and have WW3 in their garage. Man, those were the good ol' days.

As for why I like the new stuff, several reasons. Updated looks, a chance to get characters that I never could before, and new characters.

I play and display, when my nephew comes over I play with him and it brings back lots of memories. As far as displaying them right now I have all of the new series on top of my computer desk :) Today I was really enjoying them by setting up a mini dio (which came out pretty killer). Collecting GIJOE once again and then going to the con in 2003 and 2004, meeing other collectors and talking with them has brought back a happiness in my life. It is a great hobby and nothing bring me more joy then to see my nephew when he comes over and asks to play GIJOE. I know it is a soft spot, but it is the truth. Also nothing makes my blood rush then going into a TRU or a TARGET and finding more figures as well as when I get a email that my order shipped! I collect GIJOE because it is fun as well as makes me feel good. As far as my family they are cool with it too, heck they went with me to the con this year and my mom went with me last year. My friends come over and all they say is, I used to have that when I was younger, cool! This is why I collect the old stuff and the new stuff too.

First I don't play I just display. Second I love the new series just as much as I did RAH, almost anyway. The detail is so much better on the new figs and as much as I hate pin heads the RAH guys have mellon heads. Neither is perfect scale wise, so I just sit back, relax and enjoy them. Whether it is the best Storm Shadow ever(VvV wave4) or the wicked cool Stalker comic pack figure. And another reason I collect VvV is like others have said I have every RAH figure I could ever want. 

Draven

You said what I would have Draven..nice response...

Thanks man.

Draven

Draven

You recompleted your RAH collection already?

Well there still are a few I have not gotten back but what I really meant, was i'm happy with what I have RAH (over 200 figs) and if another never was released my set would still be great in my eyes. Now like I said if a repaint rocks i'm out to grab it asap. I like both worlds, classic and new.

Draven

Quote the Draven, nevermore. Got to agree with you too. I just like enjoying the hobby of collecting, and I only collect the stuff that I think is cool. If it appeals to me, I buy it. I still collect the RAH, but only the ones that I liked as a kid. I'm not a completist, so I feel OK if I just buy what I want. Just keep supporting Habro, so they keep making Joes.

What a great thread. Anyway...I just love being able to walk into stores/go online and buy new Joes and Cobras. It's exciting. It reminds me of great times I had with my stuff as a kid. And it's fun to look for new characters as well as updated old ones. I pick and choose from the new stuff and just grab what I like. Now the old RAH stuff is a different matter; whenever I get a "new" vintage MOC figure, it's a total time warp. I'm currently on a mission to rebuild a classic RAH collection. That's my main focus right now, but there's a ton of stuff out now that I'd love to have, namely Wave 4, the Ice Sabre, and Jungle Strike, just to name a few things I want badly...

And Blackjack...I could have replaced your name with mine in that post dude. Sounds exactly like my good 'ol days, agewise and everything...

Quote the Draven, nevermore. Got to agree with you too. I just like enjoying the hobby of collecting, and I only collect the stuff that I think is cool. If it appeals to me, I buy it. I still collect the RAH, but only the ones that I liked as a kid. I'm not a completist, so I feel OK if I just buy what I want. Just keep supporting Habro, so they keep making Joes.

Great minds think alike! :D

Draven

I guess there's nothing wrong witha grown man or woman playing with toys!!!! @smilepunch@

YOU MEAN THERES OTHER REASONS TO BUY JOES THAN TO PLAY WITH THEM????

IM 30 AND I PLAY WITH MINE AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK ..........

MY NEPHEW (HES 10 AND HIS DAD IS A ASSH**E) AND I HAVE A LONG ON GOING STORY LINE ...........SOME TIME WE USE IT SOME TIMES WE JUST PLAY WITH THE NEW TOYS OF THE WEEK!!!!!

I LOVE PLAYING WITH MY JOES--------MY WIFE THINKS IM CRAZY SO DO MY FRIENDS............

BUT JOES ARE MY THEREPY.........THEY KEEP ME AWAY FROM THE "BOTTLE"

ALEAST 5 DAYS A WEEK!!!!! AND IM AM SERIOUS!!!!!

WOULD BE A RAGING DRUNK IF I DIDNT HAVE MY JOES!!!!!!

DOC

Hey just like your namesake, Doc!!! @smilepunch@ But whatever gets you through the week, I guess it's ok. Oh and since you;re married and all, that's cool. Ya just gotta look out for those single guys still living at home, they are truly sad!!!!

.I'm sure I offended someone here!!!! @loll@

Hey do you guys just collect the new stuff, or the re-hashed 80's stuff as well????? Do you mix and match, or old stuff and old looking stuff over there, and new figures over there!!!!

I have all the old RAH stuff that I want. I would have kept getting them if the line had not stopped.

A few years later when I saw the TRU figures I got some of them.

When I saw the prototype pictures for JvC I felt like a kid again. I could not wait to get them. I HAD to.

Even though wave 1 sucked and wave 2 was not much better I stayed with it. So far this year I am glad I did.

I am going to be 29 the end of this month and do not plan on stopping just because of my age.

I mix both collections together also and do not play with my Joes any longer. Maybe someday if I have kids we will play with them together.

I like to play with my toys thank you! Also, I often buy new verisions of the character if they look better than the old ones, or arrre just easier to get than the old ones. It's also nice to just be able to walse down a store and pick so up!

Agreed it is nice to go the store and pick up some figures. I have been doing more pre orders however lately to make sure I get these awesome packs that have been coming out.

SUPPORT

I'm completly convinced that if the new line were to disappear that we would never see any classic reissues ever released. I buy them and they stay on card. I don't "play" with them. However there is absolutly nothing wrong with playing with.

I'm also considering the possibility of my next DIO making use of New sculpts, just to help preserve my classic collection. I guess DIO making could be considered playing with them too. So yes, I play with them and I'm proud.

My wife thinks they're great and just like Doc, when I didn't have my Joes, I went clubbing constantly and participated in way to much substance abuse.

I collect them cause I just cant stop... I'm starting to think they're laced with crack or somethin... :wacko:

I just keep buying more and more, hoarding them in my basement...

no... honestly, I originally started collecting the new sculpt cause it reminded me when I was a kid and I got rid of most my joes when I was a kid or the ones I had left were waaaay too loose and played with to display(yet alone stand on their own).

I wasn't happy with some of the proportions, like Flint and Beach Head being one of my favs...I was really unhappy when I saw the figs, but I then got back into customizing, so now when I do see a figure that I'm not too happy with, well, I guess it's up to me to make it so that I am happy :)

I dont play with my figures either, well, besides when I just open them and check them out, arm them up and make the machine gun noises with my mouth... but other than that, they either get thrown in a bin for customs, put on wht little shelf space I have or get boxed up in the "to be displayed" boxes that keep on growing :huh:

My wife thinks they're great and just like Doc, when I didn't have my Joes, I went clubbing constantly and participated in way to much substance abuse.

I'm sure if you tried really hard, you'd find a way to do both! ;) Imagine what drunken Joes battles would be like?

Unless you're talking about the other kind of substance abuse, then it's "wow, these weapons really do shoot..." .... when in reality, they aren't even spring-loaded.

Wow what a topic! :) Okay, I collect them now simply because I am a toy collector, + I had about 7 or 8 Joes as a kid that were handed down from my two older brothers, that I would spend HOURS by the bedside creating all sorts of adventures for. SO my collecting now is very much a tribute of back then...I guess theres just lots of nostalgic reasons and what not.

I collect both RAH and JVC, VVV--everything. Obviously the VVV/JVC is easier to get, but often whenever I can i grab up anything RAH that suits my interest, i.e. looks cool.

I only display mine, and I am fortunate enough to have a huge "bonus" room or 'FROG'--Finished Room Over Garage--where I display all my GIJOE, MOTU, Marvel Legends, Tortured Souls, Mcfarlane, Spawn, Movie Maniacs, comics, exclusives, posters, original Nintendo--whatever. I should get in there and move it all around a bit, but I just never have time working about an hour away from my home, trying to spend time with the wife, now trying to get a part time job, etc.

If i had the time and didnt care, i probably would get in there and play with my Joes. It made such good memories as a kid and I had great fun, with the Crimson twins, Crystall Ball (YES HE ROCKS!), Ace, Zarana, Grunt, Sgt Slaughter--thats about all I remember, and is probably about the extent of what I had. Now I have ARMIES at my disposal and it would just kick 10 kinds of ass if I could use them all, but again I just dont have time and of course am a bit shy about it. My wife (and dog) would give me all kinds of crap if I did 'play' with them.

But jsut give me a digital camera and o yeah, its on, as I plans to someday actually make some DIOS...just a minor goal that will probably never materialize but who knows...

You know, I am wanting to get back in, but don't know what line to stay with??? See I have a llot of old Joes some mine, some I collected again, and instead of quitting that, and going into the VvV line, I might get into the RAH repaints, but don't know yet. I don't want to get into both. I like that they have some of the old ships, like the Mobile Command Center!!!! But the old figures, re-painted just don't look right!!!!

What do y'all think??? Remember if I can, I can only delve into one line!!!!!

Do you think the new line will continue to release awesome figures like the new Torch andBazooka???? Or go back to gimicky figures like Tunnel Rat with water hose action!!!

You know, I am wanting to get back in, but don't know what line to stay with??? See I have a llot of old Joes some mine, some I collected again, and instead of quitting that, and going into the VvV line, I might get into the RAH repaints, but don't know yet. I don't want to get into both. I like that they have some of the old ships, like the Mobile Command Center!!!! But the old figures, re-painted just don't look right!!!!

What do y'all think??? Remember if I can, I can only delve into one line!!!!!

Well, it is entirely up to you. Are you basing your opinion on what to buy on what others say?

If you can only afford one line, go with what YOU like. Most RAH figures and vehicles are available online in some capacity - if that is for what you are looking.

I do suggest though that if you haven't picked up any of the new sculpt JvC figures, it might be a good idea to pick up a pack or two to see if you like them or not.