Going Backwards Hasbro?

Superduperninja

I love the comic packs precisely because of the way they look. With the new headsculpts, paint details, and (mostly) really good weapons these are my favorite new figures. Sure, some figures like Clutch and Steeler are not as good as others, but figures like Stalker are the best version yet.

As far as the softer plastic, I actually prefer it to the older hard plastic. If any hands are too loose, I've had no problem fixing them without any drastic work. With all the broken thumbs I've had over the years, I much prefer a little time spent bending to the alternative.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok. Sorry. My real problem is that the material looks cheap

And to save letters, call me SDN :D

snakeeyes20_large.jpg

One thing I do agree with SDN on is the quality of the figures of the figures...one in particular. Which is Snake Eyes. If we are supposed to be getting new heads for the figures then of all people ole SE should have got one. He looks really out of place with the same dated face mask we have seen a kajillion times. Same thing goes for the Cobra troops. other than that the figures are great.

I'm only 14 too, and to go back to rah style would be the best thing Hasbro did. I think they're definitely headed in the right direction with these comic 3's. I do wish that they didnt re release snake eyes in 2 comic 3's though. It is awesome that we're getting figures in the rah style that were never released back in the 80's(quinn, etc.) . As far as figure quality goes, the original 1982 joes were not as high quality as the, say, 1985 joes. So, when you release a remold 82 snake eyes with a bulky grunt, the remold will tend to look out of place.

RAH RULES!!

-saboteur

It is awesome that we're getting figures in the rah style that were never released back in the 80's(quinn, etc.) . As far as figure quality goes, the original 1982 joes were not as high quality as the, say, 1985 joes. So, when you release a remold 82 snake eyes with a bulky grunt, the remold will tend to look out of place.

RAH RULES!!

-saboteur

Good points about the quality, totally agree- RAH rules!!!

I can understand where he's coming from since he's 14. He doesn't know what RAH really is. lol But as much as I love the comic figs they still are flawed. BUt I have heard they got better with 4 and 5.

Draven

Well, people have been saying that V3 Wave 4 has returned to the harder plastic.  Maybe that means the comic waves are as well?

I have heard they have. Hasbro was aware of the distaste on the softer plastic. That and pin heads. So hopefully the pinhead problem is been worked out and we'll see that in effect in a wave or two.

Draven

Hasbro, more than likely, has known about fan's dissatisfaction with the softer plastic for [going on] years now. It's no new revelation of theirs. Yet it continues on, maybe not every wave, maybe not every figure, but it'll still happen for toys to come.

I mean, look back at all the threads, it's always, "Hasbro's finally got it right this time". Then it's back to, "what's up with this soft plastic sh!t?!?". Then back again, yada, yada. They flip-flop more times than Storm Shadow changes allegiances.

I don't know what's been going on with JvC, but RAH has seen times like this. Check out NF2 and the Cobra Infantry 6-pack, both have that high-gloss finish. Now look at the AV team and Urban Strike, they look dull and lack finish. Not that they have to be all glossy and all, but still. And if anything, the last 2 TRU 6-packs [AV team & Urban Strike] have gotten more sloppy when it comes to paint apps [also fustrating].

It seems that hot items get more stellar [if you could call it that] treatment [thereby insuring even more sales], while lukewarm stuff gets shoved out the door as quickly as possible with minimal cost just in case it busts. It's understandable, I guess, but annoying as hell. It's a good bet that a potentially runaway hit like the Ninja Strike team is gonna be of better quality.

Anyway, that's what I always think when I read the phrase "it's gotten better" on here.

Finding a good copy of the Anti-Venom set took me FOREVER. The Urban set wasn't as bad, but I did have to search through several sets. Infact, I've had problems with every 6-Pack since the Python Patrol.

I've also had alot of trouble with Comic Pack #1. I've bought 3 of it, and all 3 had some sort of trouble. A Baroness from one set didn't have a painted thigh and the Cobra Soldier had chipped flesh paint. 2 of the sets I bought didn't have Cobra Commander's yellow stripe painted on his right leg. Another set had a Cobra Soldier with a poorly molded leg. All of the figures had at least minor paint flaws.

Don't get me wrong, every set has had paint problems, but some, at least some the more recent ones for me, were damn near depressing in their numerous flaws. However, these are things you have some control over. It's almost a given, you know?

But things you don't have any control over at all, like plastic quality (being too soft) and painted flesh are rotating in and out all the time.

One of the main things they have to do is get rid of the rubber bands around the hands.

You see, the first time we said no to action poses meant nothing.

but what does that have to do with rubberbands? Are you saying they did this because he wanted action poses? if so that does not mean they need to put those rubberbands on their hands. (if this is what you refering to?)

Wish this set came out during the target sale....cause all i want is the snake eyes and i don't wanna pay $10 for it :( (because i dont collect the 3 packs really, but i want the snake eyes cause i dont have a V1 snake eyes mold :))

Send em to me then Creeper! #US1#

I actually was worried about this set when I saw the prototype at the con, but now Zap looks alot better. This will be a must have for my collection. My complaints are two fold: lack of original accessories, and absence of helmets. Some figs just need helmets like Rock N Roll.

I actually was worried about this set when I saw the prototype at the con, but now Zap looks alot better. This will be a must have for my collection. My complaints are two fold: lack of original accessories, and absence of helmets. Some figs just need helmets like Rock N Roll.

agreed on the weapons choices. They need to be more in line with what the original RAH figures came with. Someone mentioned that the green accessory pack helmets from back in the day are close matches to the green of the uniforms on these guys. I haven't tried it myself since I am too lazy to dig throught my stuff to get to them right now - but thats an option at least.

One of the main things they have to do is get rid of the rubber bands around the hands.

but what does that have to do with rubberbands? Are you saying they did this because he wanted action poses? if so that does not mean they need to put those rubberbands on their hands. (if this is what you refering to?)

If by rubberbands you mean like what they did to the figures that came with the recent VAMP, then we are talking about the same thing. The driver for the VAMP and the operator for the Whirlwind had their hands rubberbanded (:D) to the steering wheel and control sticks, respectively. I consider that "action poses".

I would also lump this in with the 2-packs that came out years ago with weapons in hand [also apparent with these comic packs]. With or without rubberbands, "action poses" stink!

as for as them going backwards... well they are useing the old to please the fans of the old. I think the 3packs aren't the best, but i would like the october Gaurd, i love what they are doing, i just would like to see it in new sculpt style, and by new sclupt i mean jvc, NOT VVV, but at this point, becouse of trying to go 8 directions, hasbro will never be able to please everybody and i really wouldn't try and worry about having all your favs in the same style and looking perfect standing next to each other. Toss size aside and just pretend, like a little kid, they fit together a little better than they do, or your gonna miss out on some cool stuff from one group or the other.

My complaints are two fold: lack of original accessories, and absence of helmets. Some figs just need helmets like Rock N Roll.

They're probably arming them with what their characters were using in the comic as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any of them... yet, so I don't know for sure. From what I've seen so far, the weapons that they did get are pretty decent, at the very least. Alot better than what alot of the figures in the TRU 6-packs have gotten.

What would be nice is if they included both the original (some are these figures are all-new, freshly Franken-Joe'd, so there ain't much in the way of "original accessories" to go by, SE here is an obviously exception), and comic accessories, but for $10 bucks, it'd be a steal for all that plus the figures and a comic book.

Well, like I said, the comic 3-packs are not part of the main line and are intended to appeal, mainly, to us older collectors.

These are the only GI Joe figures out there right now that I want. Where can you get them? I've never seen them anywhere!

I think a straight-up GI Joe reissue line (in original colours), kind of like what they're doing with Transformers, is a good idea, too!

If by rubberbands you mean like what they did to the figures that came with the recent VAMP, then we are talking about the same thing. The driver for the VAMP and the operator for the Whirlwind had their hands rubberbanded (:D) to the steering wheel and control sticks, respectively. I consider that "action poses".

I would also lump this in with the 2-packs that came out years ago with weapons in hand [also apparent with these comic packs]. With or without rubberbands, "action poses" stink!

Yup that is what I meant, rubberbands on everything (for their hands), I do not like that approach, I hope that in future packs they will take away the rubberbands. You are right about the action poses, but if they DID what to do them it is cool, but do not mess up the figures by putting rubberbands around their hands.

It is awesome that we're getting figures in the rah style that were never released back in  the 80's(quinn, etc.) . As far as figure quality goes, the original 1982 joes were not as high quality as the, say, 1985 joes. So, when you release a remold 82 snake eyes with a bulky grunt, the remold will tend to look out of place.

RAH RULES!!

-saboteur

I disagree because the Zap, Stalker and the Hawk molds dont look out of place at all. And they are the exact same mold as Snake Eyes, but the only difference is they have new heads. It takes the smallest thing to make a figure look new and the head is it in this case.

It is awesome that we're getting figures in the rah style that were never released back in  the 80's(quinn, etc.) . As far as figure quality goes, the original 1982 joes were not as high quality as the, say, 1985 joes. So, when you release a remold 82 snake eyes with a bulky grunt, the remold will tend to look out of place.

RAH RULES!!

-saboteur

I disagree because the Zap, Stalker and the Hawk molds dont look out of place at all. And they are the exact same mold as Snake Eyes, but the only difference is they have new heads. It takes the smallest thing to make a figure look new and the head is it in this case.

I disagree with # 3 because of the colors they use, since they are not the same as the color of RAH, this is why i agree that RAH rules as well when you release a remold 82 snake eyes with a bulky grunt, the remold will tend to look out of place. I agree they have/tried match the colors of the comic but the colors IMO look like VvsV color figures and not RAH figures. HASBRO has done great with these packs and I am getting them all, I just do not agree with # 3 because of the colors IMO.

I'm 22 and grew up reading the G.I. Joe comic, hell, I was born the same year as RAH.

While I have never bought any RAH re-issues, I did pick up the three comic packs. Like ANY toys, you need to look for a descent paint job, but that's normal. While I cannot speak of the quality of plastic of the figures(I'm keeping these MOC.), the appeal for fans of the comic is great.

I love looking at them on my wall, and they just made me want to re-read the issues all over again. While ideally I'd love them to make a three pack for EVERY issue, I can be happy with what they're planning to do after the initial releases.

Hell, we sold out of these faster then we did Wave 2 two packs at the Target I work at. That's got to tell you something. =)

I'm 22 and grew up reading the G.I. Joe comic, hell, I was born the same year as RAH.

While I have never bought any RAH re-issues, I did pick up the three comic packs. Like ANY toys, you need to look for a descent paint job, but that's normal. While I cannot speak of the quality of plastic of the figures(I'm keeping these MOC.), the appeal for fans of the comic is great.

I love looking at them on my wall, and they just made me want to re-read the issues all over again. While ideally I'd love them to make a three pack for EVERY issue, I can be happy with what they're planning to do after the initial releases.

Hell, we sold out of these faster then we did Wave 2 two packs at the Target I work at. That's got to tell you something. =)

I hear you there, I have scene the comic # 3 pack like once or twice since they have come out.

Don't get me wrong, every set has had paint problems, but some, at least some the more recent ones for me, were damn near depressing in their numerous flaws. However, these are things you have some control over. It's almost a given, you know?

But things you don't have any control over at all, like plastic quality (being too soft) and painted flesh are rotating in and out all the time.

It's funny, because I've been bolstering my RAH collection of Ebay and it is interesting to compare a 20 year old figure with a figure I just got this year. The buckles and straps are obvious, on say Falcon, compared to Hard Drive, for example, who looks like they got a blind guy to do the detailing. And, of course, who could forget Lady Jaye's flesh-colored hair? I've never really noticed those kinds of problems with real RAH stuff (and no it isn't RAH sentimentality).

Just makes me kinda wonder why they would change the way they detailed the figures after having it done the same way for 15 years, especially since the new work is inferior to the old way.