He Is The One To Bring Balance To The Force????

JayC

This is what they said Anakin was destined to do, but what does it really mean??? Was it just a cleaver line Lucas used to make Anakin sound important? Did it mean he would wip out most the Jedi so that the numbers between the light and dark side were even? Maybe but doesnt seem like something the Jedi would want to see happen.

So what does it mean? I have often thought about this and I think I have come up with the answer.

Another question I had was why did Obi Wan and Yoda go into hinding? Just so they could train Luke? That doesnt make sence. Obi-Wan or Yoda could probably have taken Vader out on their own or the 2 together surely could have. But could have either or even both been able to take out the Emperor???? Im thinking maybe not. Luke took Vader down no problem but the Emperor would have killed Luke if it hadn't been for Vader, this is where the balance comes in.

Anakin would not have been able to stop the Emperor anymore than any of the other Jedi would have, it was only cause the Emperor didnt precieve Vader as a threat that Vader was able to get close enought to throw him over the side.

The reason the Emperor didn't precieve Vader as a threat cause he was part of the Dark Side, but he killed the Emperor and saved Luke cause he was part of the Light side to, hence the balance.

Now the reason Luke was so important was cause he was the only one in the Universe who could possibly reach the light side of Vader. If Obi-Wan or Yoda had been the one getting fried by the Emperor the most likely Vader would have just sat there and watched.

So basically the balance in reality was a way of saying that Vader was the perfect double agent to get close enough to the Emperor to destroy him.

This is what they said Anakin was destined to do, but what does it really mean??? Was it just a cleaver line Lucas used to make Anakin sound important? Did it mean he would wip out most the Jedi so that the numbers between the light and dark side were even? Maybe but doesnt seem like something the Jedi would want to see happen.

So what does it mean? I have often thought about this and I think I have come up with the answer.

Maybe they thought Anikan was so powerful that they needed someone on the good side of the force to help the Jedi because they were being overrun by the separatist forces. Maybe the balance meant adding one dude who could woop some Trade Federation booty. They probably did not expect him to turn to the dark side when they said that.

I'm assuming this will be answered in E3. Maybe the twins (or at least Luke) inherited their father's strength in the Force; and Yoda and Obi-Wan are waiting until the right time to use it. I thnk it probably has more to do with this, then appealing to Anakin's ''family ties' (Obi-Wan's response to Luke's "There is still good in him")

Around the time of TPM, a friend of mine looked around the net and found info* on the prophesy; it's from "The Journal of the Whills" The prophesy Mace refers to, goes something like this...

"..in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns."

Note the 'suns', a reference to Tatooine's twin suns ;)

The question is, will E3 go into more detail?

There's also an interesting discsssion on the TF.N's boards about bringing a balance between the 'living' force and the 'unifying' force; I forget the specifics, but, iirc, one deals with the ''here and now' and one deals with looking ahead. I think this is probably to complicated for the movies though. <_>

*This page deals w/ fan fiction, but, I believe it's based on actual early draft details

Who's to say he full fills the prophecy? Personally I think Luke fits that better than Anakin.So the agrument may be that he creates Luke who brings balance back to the force after Anakin destroys it. Now my question is was it destined to be this way or was the temptation of the dark side what changed fate?

In Episode I we learn that Anakin would supposedly be the one to bring balance back to the Force. Why was the Force out of balance? Palpatine. No one knew that during the events of Episode I, and no one really knew what the prophesy meant. Now all of us knew the whole story, how Palpatine was the one causing all of the trouble, and in the end Anakin was the one to kill the Emperor, which indeed indeed did bring the Force back into balance, thereby fullfilling the prophecy by destroying the "phantom menace". And perhaps since Yoda and Obi-Wan knew how all-powerfull and unstoppable Vader and Palpatine would be as a duo, the galaxy's only hope would be the double, equally Force-talented twins, Luke and Leia. And it's cool to note how Luke goes along with Vader and Palpatine, long enough to mess with Palpatine's mind a little and unexpectedly appeal to Anakin's still-present good side. Even looking back as a kid I remember when I saw ROTJ in the theater I was compelled by such an unexpected twist in the story, how you see Luke and Vader interacting as father and son, even on a strained level, and how Luke flirted with the Dark Side when bringing down the Emperor. Heavy stuff, and I still remember how ominous I thought that part of the story was/is.

I can't remember where or when I heard this, but I remember a discussion saying that the Jedi Council was wrong - it was Luke, not Anakin, that brought balance to the Force. This would seem to fit with the notion that Luke is not the last of the old Jedi, but the first of the new.

I've heard two speculations as to what "bringing balanceto the Force" means.

1. By wiping out all the Jedi but 2 there is a balance between Jedi and Sith.

Jedi - Obi-Wan and Yoda

Sith - Vader and Sidious

2. The Dark Side is like a sort of "cancer" on the Force that shouldn't be there and by destroying the Emperor in ROTJ he kills off the last of the Sith.

I don't see how that would destroy the Dark Side however.

While I'm thinking about, when the Emperor is thrown in that pit on the second Death Star all this energy comes shooting up. I always just assumed it was something technical that had happen after his body slammed into something down there. But now I am thinking Palpatine/Sidious was so powerful that all that energy was the Dark Side energy. What say you?

Pretty good idea there Pit Viper on the Emperor's death.

And my belief is that Luke was trully the "one". Without him Vader would never have down what he did. And I think Luke could have taken Vader without the Emperor in tow at that point.

Draven

I've heard two speculations as to what "bringing balanceto the Force" means.

1. By wiping out all the Jedi but 2 there is a balance between Jedi and Sith.

Jedi - Obi-Wan and Yoda

Sith - Vader and Sidious

You know......despite what Lucas says, this one has always made the most sense to me.

I can't remember where or when I heard this, but I remember a discussion saying that the Jedi Council was wrong - it was Luke, not Anakin, that brought balance to the Force. This would seem to fit with the notion that Luke is not the last of the old Jedi, but the first of the new.

That theory would indeed go along with the fact that at the time Anakin was discovered and thought to be "the one", the Jedi Council's judgement in the Force was clouded by the Dark Side. That would make sense. But there's one small detail: Anakin was said to have been conceived by the Force itself, thereby making him "the one" the prophecy speaks of. In my mind it's very clear Anakin is the one to bring the Force back into balance, no matter how much Luke may have helped him along. I think maybe there was already a struggle deep down inside Anakin between his good and dark side. Perhaps that's why his search for Luke became so obsessive.

After reading about the Emperor dying here, I am wondering why he did not just levatate back up the shaft. If he were that powerful he should have been able to stop himself from falling.

It always seemed to me that it was too easy to kill him.

I can't remember where or when I heard this, but I remember a discussion saying that the Jedi Council was wrong - it was Luke, not Anakin, that brought balance to the Force.  This would seem to fit with the notion that Luke is not the last of the old Jedi, but the first of the new.

That theory would indeed go along with the fact that at the time Anakin was discovered and thought to be "the one", the Jedi Council's judgement in the Force was clouded by the Dark Side. That would make sense. But there's one small detail: Anakin was said to have been conceived by the Force itself, thereby making him "the one" the prophecy speaks of. In my mind it's very clear Anakin is the one to bring the Force back into balance, no matter how much Luke may have helped him along. I think maybe there was already a struggle deep down inside Anakin between his good and dark side. Perhaps that's why his search for Luke became so obsessive.

Two things about Anakin's conception...

First, I believe that in Episode 3 we will find out that this was, in fact, false, and that Anakin's mother was raped by a Sith Lord (possibly Tyrannus, possibly Sidious himself...who knows). At least, this would be a more interesting revelation than the ones we got in Episode 2 (why should I care about who trained whom?).

Second, if Anakin /was indeed/ conceived by the Force, then that would mean that he is the balance between Force and...um...humanity...I guess...since he is both Force and man. Therefore, the idea of "balance" can work on many levels indeed.

I however believe that the former is most likely the case, as the latter would be too close to Christian Spirituality for Lucas's tastes (he has said in the past that the Force is not based on any one religion).

When I heard the "balance" prophesy it was my assumption that "balance" meant wiping out the Jedi, as there was a much greater force of light over dark.

The reason this was misinterpreted by the Jedi councel was that it is prophesy, and therefore open to interpretation.

He brought balance:

Emperor and Vader- Dark Side

Yoda and Obi-Wan- Light Side

I don't think there will be any revelation about the true father of Anakin. I think that whole idea stems from fans being too obsessed with the original trilogy and the whole "Luke I am your father." line.

Besides if Sidious or Tyrannus were the father the coincidence that they (Qui-Gon, Jar Jar, Padme, etc.) would end up on Tattoine after escaping Naboo and just happen to run into Anakin would be too far of a stretch for me. At least with the original trilogy Princess Leia was DELIBERETLY trying to get to Obi-Wan and THAT is why her path crossed with Luke (who was on the same planet as Obi-Wan becasue Obi-Wan obviously put him there).

I don't think there will be any revelation about the true father of Anakin. I think that whole idea stems from fans being too obsessed with the original trilogy and the whole "Luke I am your father." line.

Actually, I'm basing this on the fact that Lucas has said before that his mythos is not based on any tangible form of Christian Spirituality. Anakin's conception at the hands of the Force, however, is very reminiscent of the Virgin birth.

Besides if Sidious or Tyrannus were the father the coincidence that they (Qui-Gon, Jar Jar, Padme, etc.) would end up on Tattoine after escaping Naboo and just happen to run into Anakin would be too far of a stretch for me.

Ah, but there's another part to it...

If I remember correctly, when Obi-Wan lands on Kamino and finds out about the clone army, he discovers that a jedi named "Sypher Dios" ordered them to be made. He also finds out that this jedi trained Qui-Gon. Now, if you take into account a slight variation on the name "Sypher Dios," you get "Sidious." If this is true, then that would mean that Sidious trained Qui-Gon...and that he perhaps organized the whole meeting on Tatooine through Qui-Gon. This theory can be further expounded by the fact that Qui-Gon didn't disappear at the end of his life (because, to some extent, he was thrown in with the Dark Side). Of course, this theory can also be completely wrong.

At least with the original trilogy Princess Leia was DELIBERETLY trying to get to Obi-Wan and THAT is why her path crossed with  Luke (who was on the same planet as Obi-Wan becasue Obi-Wan obviously put him there).

This is true. However, if the above theory is correct...

Besides if Sidious or Tyrannus were the father the coincidence that they (Qui-Gon, Jar Jar, Padme, etc.) would end up on Tattoine after escaping Naboo and just happen to run into Anakin would be too far of a stretch for me.  At least with the original trilogy Princess Leia was DELIBERETLY trying to get to Obi-Wan and THAT is why her path crossed with  Luke (who was on the same planet as Obi-Wan becasue Obi-Wan obviously put him there).

I like this theory and never thought of it that way...i mean as it may seem it looks like Padme took Leia and the Jedi took Luke

Mod edit:

Possible Episode 3 spoiler... (Obi-Wan: "We must be cautious." ;))

*...but i remember someone saying that Padme dies givin birth to Luke and Leia is that true?

Edited by Bespin refugee

I think Anakin did bring balance when he chucked the Emperor down the core. There is enough darkness in the universe without the Emperor, so the rise of Luke and the demise of the Emperor brought balance. That's the way I see it.

And Yoda and Obi-Wan went into hiding because the entire Republic/Imperial navy/army was after them. In the novels the Jedi purge is a long process with the young Empire hunting down rogue Jedi. Jedi are strong, but they can be overwhelmed, especially with Vader around.

<<If this is true, then that would mean that Sidious trained Qui-Gon...and that he perhaps organized the whole meeting on Tatooine through Qui-Gon. This theory can be further expounded by the fact that Qui-Gon didn't disappear at the end of his life (because, to some extent, he was thrown in with the Dark Side). Of course, this theory can also be completely wrong.>>

It is wrong. It was NEVER stated that Syfo-Dias trained Qui-Gon. Dooku said that HE trained Qui-Gon.

In AOTC Syfo-Dias was said to be a member of the Jedi Council who was killed 10 years ago. Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Mace all confirmed this on screen. There is no way that Sidious was a Sith Lord, senator AND a member of the Jedi Council. The Jedi Council members would have recognonized him if not when he was a senator, when he became Chancellor.

Keep in mind again that we KNOW Syfo-Dias was a member of the Jedi Council. Now seeing as how he supposedly died there are really only a few options here as to who ordered the clones:

1. Syfo-Dias is really alive and working for Palpatine/Sidious.

2. Someone working for Palpatine/Sidious stole the identity of Syfo-Dias since he was dead.

3. Sidious himself pretended to be Syfo-Dias.

Even if #3 is correct it has nothing to do with Qui-Gon Ginn and the 'true father' of Anakin. people have made way to big of a deal out of the Syfo-Dias thing.

They say the Dark Side clouds everything...if Syfo-Dias is as powerful as they say its possible the council cannot see...they didnt know about Palpatine being the sith lord until Dooku told Obi-wan

I'm wondering about how much Padme is involved in the upbringing of the twins, or at least Leia, because remember in ROTJ Luke asks Leia if she remembers her real mother, to which she replied, "A little bit...she died when I was very young." Luke further asks her what exactly she remembered, and she went on to say, "Just images really...feelings; she was very beautiful, kind, but...sad." I doubt Lucas would have included that scene had Leia been raised exclusively by the Organas. So we know Padme had to survive beyond Episode III surely, long enough for Leia to remember the "images" and "feelings" she remembers. That is, considering during the course of Episode III there's some jumping ahead in time if you will to a slightly older age when the twins are separated; also remember that Dagobah seemed strangely familiar to Luke, and if he had been a newborn as Kenobi may have dropped Yoda off on Dagobah or even just passed by on his way to Tatooine with him, he couldn't have remembered it in any way. My theory is that the twins are slightly older by the time Epsiode III ends, even if they may be split up immediately upon birth. Perhaps they are accidentallly separated somewhere along the way. Geeze, the speculation's killing me!! Can't wait to see Episode III.

They say the Dark Side clouds everything...if Syfo-Dias is as powerful as they say its possible the council cannot see...they didnt know about Palpatine being the sith lord until Dooku told Obi-wan

Who says? The fans? Folks the movie made it clear that Syfo-Dias was a member of the Jedi Council. There is no mystery. There is no debate. For the sake of argument let's just say he was the Q-Tip headed dude in Episode I and get over it. Why do people insist he is some as of yet not seen Sith Lord? Watch AOTC they say who he was! The only mysetry is who was pretending to be him and for it to be anyone other than Sidious, Dooku or possibly even Maul would be silly.

P.S. - The Jedi don't know Palpatine is a Sith Lord either! Dooku didn't name any names just told them the Senate was under the control of the Dark Lord of the Sith. . . . and they didn't believe him.