Whose Collection Is Better?

TheCasualOblivion

I'm kinda wondering if I've finally reached the point where I can consider my collection superior to one of a friend of mine. His collection is still a lot larger than mine, but I think I've closed the gap by having a lot more quality figures than he has. That and the fact that I collect G1 and he doesn't. Here are some descriptions:

my collection:

Takara Reissues #0-#15 Have them all

Other Japanes Reissues- Have Ultra Magnus, God Ginrai, Sixshot, Non-anime Starscream, Landcross, the four keychain mini-bots

Hasbro Reissues have all reissues not in the Takara Collection Series, plus the Hasbro Hot Rod, 9 total.

G1 originals

98% complete Devastator in good condition

Complete Sideswipe

Soundwave w/ Buzzsaw and Ravage

Slag

Sludge

Mirage

Topspin and Twintwist

Ominbot Overdrive

9 E-Hobby exclusives, including Black Rodimus, Crystal Rodimus, Sunstorm, Hauler, Anime Bluestreak, Silver Skids, Gold Jazz, Anime Astrotrain, Desert Hound

The full set of 16 wave 1 and 2 World's Smallest Transformers including chases.

Japanese BW Galvatron, Starscream and BB

RiD-Megatron, Optimus, Magnus, Scourge, Wal-Mart Landfill and Ruination

Armada K-Mart Gold Optimus, Jetfire, Megatron, Tidal Wave, Unicron, Wheeljack, Hoist, Bendy Prime

Energon- 17 figures, including 2 Superlink figures, Magma-Type Dinobot and Forest-Type Chromehorn. Working on getting at least one of each orignal Energon mold.

Alternators and Binaltech--All 5 Alternators so far, and Binaltech Yellow Tracks.

Others of note-KB toys Universe Defensor, Takara MP Convoy, OTFCC Roulette/Shadow Striker.

His collection is simpler to explain--

He has

Beast Wars-complete set

Beast Machines-complete set

RiD-Complete set

Armada-Complete set

Energon-Complete set of everything we've seen(everything up to Bulkhead, which we haven't seen)

Alternators- All five so far

Universe- Everything released in stores so far(haven't seen Nemesis Prime yet)

Hasbro 20th Anniv Prime

Has a few odds and ends other than these sets, RiD Brave Maximus, Big Convoy, Lio Convoy, BW Galvatron, 3 of the four Japanese BW Cyberbeasts, all BW figures released in Japan but not the US, Gen-2 Megatron, and G1 Rodimus Prime, his only G1 figure.

My collection is a lot smaller, a little less than half the size of his. I do have a large collection of G1 reissues and originals, and a lot of collectors pieces and imports, like Black Rodimus, Sunstorm, my Smallest TFs, ect. I have most of the big pieces from the last three series. I have all the good stuff. He on the other hand has a bigger collection and complete sets, but doesn't collect G1(isn't even remotely interested), or pursue the rarer exclusives and imports as much as I do.

You decide.

Well - I would have to say that since his only G1 representative is Rodimus Prime (of all things...one of the suckiest G1 molds when considering the importance of the character), that he has too much of a "newbie" collection. :D

I am sure the quantity of transformers is incredible, but all that newer stuff gets pretty bland with all the repaints in there. (Not to mention a vast amount of early Beast Wars molds flat out sucked).

While one can always favor the person who creates the post (TheCasualObivion) over the person they are referring to (your friend), I would say that you legitly have the superior collection.

The E-hobby exclusives definitely add spark to your collection - they represent items that most collectors don't have. Your friend has a lot of "me too!" stuff - meaning that he has a lot of things that tf collectors can get easily.

I am sure his collection is impressive, but I would go with yours.

All the same - why even talk about it? Are the two of you trying to beat each other down by having one finally get the other to yield to the Transformer Master Collector?

My reason I can explain with a story.

I started collecting mostly because of the fact that he did. That's where I got the idea, wanting to start a G1 collection. I started seriously collecting during Armada, and he already had a monster collection, while I had trouble covering one shelf, as I started with next to nothing. I've spent all the meantime looking up at his collection, which despite being newbie stuff had a size I just couldn't match. I'm starting to feel that I don't have to do that anymore.

More than anything, I'm asking whether or not I've reached that point. Whether mine is in the same league or not as his, or if I have indeed surpassed it.

I can't really say who's is better.G1's don't matter you see,its all on the collector,whatever he feels is superior,we all have different opinions and as collectors its all on what we like and what we find worthy of collecting,that's what makes your collection better than the next man's.I love G1 TF's but don't collect them cause IMO they're just not good toys,I had most of them as a kid but appreciate the newer TF's more.

I can't tell whos' is better cause they are all from different series!

I don't think it matters to be honest - if you like your collection, that's all that matters :)

In my case, I don't have $500 plus TF's - in fact, I don't even have 70...But I love my collection because they're all sealed and I have some nice sealed originals to mix with my reissues...

I agree with Screamer - you can't really compare collections and most importantly, it depends on whether you're proud of them or not

Yeah - I guess in my answer, I was really saying which one I liked better more than which one IS better.

So I'll just go with what everyone else said. @loll@