The Batman Vs. Batman The Animated Series

LiquidMetal

Yeah....I've had this one on my mind for a couple of days....

really hope this topic hasn't already been discussed before...

Batman The Animated Series was really good....

the plots, the dialogue, the action and so on was all pretty sharp and well-put-together....the only problem might have been his (Bat's) really (oversized) big chin :P ...

The Batman?? It's okay so far, IMO....rather good, actually....

like the new looks they've given to (most of) Batman's Rogues Gallery....

Joker with his bare feet, long hippy hair, new clothes, crazy red eyes, etc @firedevil@

Bane's skin is red now...Whoa!!! :o

The Batman's (new) series seems very, very promising in my estimation...

but the old Batman the Animated Series was pretty outstanding, too, IMO

So, what do you guys say??

WHICH SERIES IS BETTER?

@hmmm@ I guess it's a little too early to ask this comparison question but what the heck, right?? :P

What do YOU think, at the moment??

#US1#

Everyone has already whined and complained about how they don't like "The Batman," but yet they'll still watch it just so they have something to complain about. Standards are too high around here. I like "The Batman" but The Animated Series has it beat hands down. Does that make "The Batman" unwatchable? Apparently to most short sighted people around here who refuse to accept anything new.

way to ealy in the life of the show to make this type of comparison,,, and you also have to take into consideration that most people think that batman tas started and laid down the basis for most all of the other great shows such as: superman tas, justice leauge, and justice leauge unlimited and one most dont count but i love batman beyond

The Batman can't even compete on the same league.

BTAS is up there, along the shows of the likes of JLU

Agreed. I will watch "The Batman" because I am a die-hard (same reason I bought that lame ass Punisher DVD). I doubt it will ever come close to BTAS....but you never know whats around the corner.

Everyone has already whined and complained about how they don't like "The Batman," but yet they'll still watch it just so they have something to complain about.

Weren't you complaining in another thread about people not giving this new show a chance? And now, since they are giving it somewhat of a chance and /still/ aren't really liking what they see, that's no good for you either?

Make up your mind, please.

Standards are too high around here.  I like "The Batman" but The Animated Series has it beat hands down.

And that would be why the standards are, as you say, "too high around here." When a show fails to live up to at least its predecessor's standards, then people tend to feel a bit cheated.

Does that make "The Batman" unwatchable?

Just because something isn't good doesn't make in "unwatchable." I don't recall anyone making that claim. I could be wrong on that, though.

Apparently to most short sighted people around here who refuse to accept anything new.

I suppose anyone who's not immediately enthralled by a new show simply by virtue of it being new is "short-sighted," eh? Even if that show really is of lower quality when compared to its predecessor?

What you call "short-sighted," I call "critical."

It apple and oranges...as they are entirely different shows...Which is good because they did BTAS already and I want something different. But it's far to early to tell which is better seeing "The Batman" aired 2 episodes. Still so far I liked the stories of BTAS more, as I'm not a big fan of the whole hip thing. But I do like the animation of "The Batman" better then BTAS, but not as much as TNBA or JL. I always found BTAS was to inconsistant...as they made Batman and Bruce look bloated in certain scenes then the next they looked in shape. I still like the streamlined look of TNBA & JL more, but I do like the new look of "The Batman" alot.

PJ

Vending Machine, you obviously haven't been around enough to know that everyone complains about everything around here. There are a few positive minded people like myself and, oh...Night Creeper I guess. There is no sense in constantly b!tching like that about everything. People need to understand that the stuff that was around when we were younger is always going to seem better to us now than the new stuff. Back then we were alot less critical (and from that statement someone is immediately going to make a post saying they were always critical) about our toys. They seemed a little more magical to us. Now after growing up we look at things in a jaded way because of the affect the world and growing up has had on us. However, all of that stuff we grew up with is still great because over the years we've considered it great so long that it will always be that way. I mean, 99% of the time when we say something is great around here, it absolutely is. However the stuff that's out now is marketed towards kids. Not us, unless it's Marvel Legends (which is sort of a tweener line between kids and adults), DC Direct (which is mostly for the collector), or a few other lines or products. THere is no sense in constantly harping on something.

Honestly, it isn't right to compare the two shows. They have very little in common except for the basic concepts and the characters.

Bottom line: The negativity around here is a big freaking bring down.

PJ and Hamstreboy said it right its apples and oranges and its an aquired taste...Just give the show a chance...so what they rush the stories ( so does JLU) and they changed the characters look alittle (ok get over it people didnt like Picaso's work either) i think this show will definatly be a show to watch just give it a shot

I finally saw some The Batman after my firend downloaded it (Kids WB doesn't come on here). I didn't much care for the first episode and really hated the second. I don't think I'll be bothering with it any more. I watched some TAS episodes on DVD yesterday and there is no comparison. Why can't we just have more TAS?

I think it might be a little too early to tell... but Im really diggin The Batman

I think I'm gonna wait till the entire 1st season is done & then speak my mind on whether it's gonna be on the same level w/BTAS. In all honesty, I do remember BTAS having some early stinkers as well. "The underdwellers" &" I have Batman in my basement" come to mind. That being said, the DCAU of Bruce Timm will always be my favorite when it comes to Batman.

It is kind of unfair to compare them this early on, as "The Batman" is just getting its feet wet so far. Personally, I enjoy both of the shows. Batman: The Animated Series is probably the best animated series (specifically superhero series) of all time, and I really enjoy that show. "The Batman" is a different take on things, which I think is fine. If they were just going to "re-do" B:TAS, they just as well have put that show back on the air. I personally have enjoyed the first couple of episodes, and hope that it continues to improve each week. I guess I'm just glad that Batman has his own show on again. In the end, I don't think that (as a majority) "The Batman" will be looked up on as fondly as B:TAS, but that would be asking a lot anyways. They are two different shows, and hopefully there will be a place for both of them in the Batman universe.

Vending Machine, you obviously haven't been around enough to know that everyone complains about everything around here.

I've been around since 2001. Way to be smarmy.

Is it still complaining when the points are valid?

There are a few positive minded people like myself and, oh...Night Creeper I guess. There is no sense in constantly b!tching like that about everything.

Everything? I would hardly consider "The Batman" to be everything, dear sir or madam.

People need to understand that the stuff that was around when we were younger is always going to seem better to us now than the new stuff.[./QUOTE]

This is true, to a certain degree. While we will always have some sort of fondness for the things that we had as children, quality never factors into that fondness.

Take "Masters of the Universe," for instance. While I loved the old Lou Schiemer Productions series, I'm not going to say that I hate the new series (may it rest in peace) simply by virtue of it being new. Obviously, although I love the old show, I can't make the claim that the new one isn't superior on a great many levels.

In this same regard, I am finding that "The Batman" is, thus far, of lower quality than BtAS.

Back then we were alot less critical (and from that statement someone is immediately going to make a post saying they were always critical) about our toys.

I'm not arguing about toys, here. I'm arguing about one show vs. the other. In the case of Mattel Batman toys vs. Kenner/Hasbro Batman toys, I can't possibly argue ANYTHING, since I don't own any "The Batman" toys as of this moment.

They seemed a little more magical to us. Now after growing up we look at things in a jaded way because of the affect the world and growing up has had on us.

Jaded? Perhaps, but I don't think that this is the case as it pertains to this particular instance.

However, all of that stuff we grew up with is still great because over the years we've considered it great so long that it will always be that way. I mean, 99% of the time when we say something is great around here, it absolutely is.

I suppose I can agree with that statement.

However the stuff that's out now is marketed towards kids. Not us, unless it's Marvel Legends (which is sort of a tweener line between kids and adults), DC Direct (which is mostly for the collector), or a few other lines or products. THere is no sense in constantly harping on something.

Ah, this is where you're mistaken. While you are right that today's shows/toys/games are marketed towards children, you forget that this was pretty much always the case; BtAS was as much a show for kids as "The Batman." The only difference is the quality (Bruce Timm's vision of DC vs. a Jackie Chan Adventures/hip-hop gangsta approach) and the execution (Again, a dark, subtley unsettling environment vs. a vibrant, campy, gangstafied atmosphere).

And it's not that the latter is a bad thing...indeed, a completely different show might actually be good under such conditions. But, tell me this...is "The Batman," as you've seen it, really what Batman (and the human archetype that he embodies) is all about? At its core, is that show a truly honest and accurate representation of what Batman has come to represent (not to mention an accurate representation of the characters and such)?

Honestly, it isn't right to compare the two shows. They have very little in common except for the basic concepts and the characters.

Which, again, begs the question...is it truly Batman? Bruce Timm's vision was darkly sophisticated, gritty, and sometimes very psychological...just as the comic is. Also, Bruce Timm's characters were recognizable as Batman and his Rogues Gallery in both design and in action/attitude. Is that the case with this show? I tend to think that, thus far, it is not. That, then, is the reason why I do not like the new show as much as the Bruce Timm version, not something as petty as "I grew up with it." We're not all gibbering gits; I would appreciate it if you do not treat me as such.

Bottom line: The negativity around here is a big freaking bring down.

Then start a facist nation, because until you do, there will be people who disagree with you. It's a fact of life, kid. Get used to it.

VM, I didn't say around long enough, I said enough. You've been around longer than my but I have 50 times as many posts as you. That means I'm here everyday making my points and discussing things and paying attention to what's going on. You, at best, are a lurker who contributes next to nothing. That doesn't mean your opinions aren't as valid as mine by any means. What that means, if you would have read the statement correctly, is that you simply aren't around enough. (I know, I know, you work and have very little time. Right, right, I gotcha.)

This statement is proven by you when you say "How is 'The Batman' everything?" If you were around enough you'd know that there is constant complaining about everything on this board. Granted, no one is happy 100% of the time, but there is an unwillingness to accept new things here. If you were around enough you'd know that. Also, for the record, it's sir. Tommy is a boys name. Most people know that.

I have one more mistake to point out. You said I was trying to act smarmy. Smarmy means hpocritically, complacently, or effusively earnest (yes I did look it up to get the correct definition for reference). I wasn't being smarmy. If anything I was portraying myself as an elitist. I in no way intended to come across that way. Of course, you didn't read the statement correctly to begin with.

VM, I didn't say around long enough, I said enough.  You've been around longer than my but I have 50 times as many posts as you.  That means I'm here everyday making my points and discussing things and paying attention to what's going on.

Just because a person would rather keep to themselves does not mean that they pay any less attention than the person who frequently speaks up. To tell the truth, this is really the first issue (aside from Hasbro's initial mishandling of Joe vs. Cobra and Mattel's frequent mishandling of MOTU) that has interested me enough to actually say something. So, I suppose you're partially correct; I don't pay attention to each and every thread I see, simply because only certain topics interest me. Last time I checked, that was a normal practice among most people.

You, at best, are a lurker who contributes next to nothing.

Wow. I commend you; it's one thing to be smarmy (there's that word again...I'll get to that shortly), but to be so even in your concessions...now that takes practice. Bravo.

That doesn't mean your opinions aren't as valid as mine by any means. What that means, if you would have read the statement correctly, is that you simply aren't around enough.

Oh no, I read it correctly. I think you made that point completely clear, complete with a rather arrogant undertone to it. But, really, that fact has next to nothing to do with the issue of BtAS vs. The Batman and the human response that is criticism...so, if you don't mind, let us return to the topic.

(I know, I know, you work and have very little time.  Right, right, I gotcha.)

That's partially correct. While I do have other commitments to which I must attend (which you apparently do not have, seeing as you so readily pointed mine out), the above still applies. I only respond to threads that interest me. I fail to see the problem with that.

This statement is proven by you when you say "How is 'The Batman' everything?"  If you were around enough you'd know that there is constant complaining about everything on this board.  Granted, no one is happy 100% of the time, but there is an unwillingness to accept new things here.

That's probably because most new things are of really low quality, such as the prequel Star Wars trilogy and, oh dear me, "The Batman." It would not be such a big deal, really, if it were not for the fact that their predecessors were of such high quality (as I've said). High quality tends to raise the bar a bit. The same, oddly enough, was true when Hasbro first began re-introducing GI Joe as "Joe vs. Cobra." The figures sucked and sucked HARD, not because they were new, but because they were obviously not of comparable quality to "Real American Hero." The same is true of shows. Didn't I make this point already?

That brings up an odd point...you have yet to comment on whether or not you truly believe "The Batman" to be an equal or better representation of the Batman mythos than the Bruce Timm series. While this would, of course, be based on only the first two episodes of "The Batman," an opinion can still be garnered. Just pick either the two weakest (or strongest, depending upon your opinion of the new show) episodes of the Timm series and place them against the first two eps of "The Batman."

If you were around enough you'd know that.

You mean to say, "If you posted more often, you'd know that," right? Because, according to what you've said, a person's understanding of a subject depends solely upon how much they speak up about it. And if I'm isinterpretting that...well, then you need to communicate more clearly, my friend.

Also, for the record, it's sir.  Tommy is a boys name.  Most people know that.

Of course. There's no such name as "Thomasina," now is there? Of course there isn't. That, and no one ever lies on the internet.

I have one more mistake to point out.  You said I was trying to act smarmy.  Smarmy means hpocritically, complacently, or effusively earnest (yes I did look it up to get the correct definition for reference).  I wasn't being smarmy.  If anything I was portraying myself as an elitist.

TommyGoth, if you're going to correct someone, at least make sure you are in a position to do so. It's obvious that you got that definition from dictionary.com, and you left out a great deal of it (including its uses in context). One of these just so happens to be:

To act with "smarmy self-importance."

An elitist does in fact believe himself to be somewhat self-important; if he did not, what sort of an elitist would he be? Not a very good one.

Odd how you still won't respond to the points actually made about the two shows as they relate to the Batman mythos. Odd...or convenient.

I in no way intended to come across that way.  Of course, you didn't read the statement correctly to begin with.

That's possible. However, the more likely option is that you are purposefully trying to save face while throwing small jabs at me in the process. Too bad I can see them coming, eh?

Enough red herrings. Let's stay on the topic at hand.

OK guys i let this little spat go on long enough...you guys can do this over PMs or E-mails...but this is sort of starting to stray from the topic...and i dont want to lock a thread you both have tossed in your 2 cents and it has been read and heard...if ya'll have not sorted this out by now finish it through PMs please...thank you for your cooperation guys!