The Welcomed Return Of Awesome Vocals...

DarthJoe

For those of you who don't know, real rock may still have a chance when it comes to our music industry that is saturated with pop icons like Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera. I'm talking about powerful vocals, melodic choruses, insightful lyrics, GUITAR SOLOS :P , and hard-driving riffs. Who is this hope, you ask?

ALTERBRIDGE, my friend.

In case you're wondering, Alterbridge is basically Creed, minus Scott Stapp, with a brilliant vocalist named Myles Kennedy. I don't know where this guy came from, but he has the vocal range to rival Soundgarden/Audioslave's Chris Cornell. With a voice like that, and Tremonti's awesome guitar work, this makes for a killer sound.

The main reason I'm so excited about this group, is the fact that Creed proved time, and time again, that they had what it took to force themselves into mainstream music, and stay there. However, I lost interest in Stapps vocals and lyrics due to their repetitiveness. Kennedy brings a new flavor to the band, and combines with Tremonti's mastery of the fret board that creates a sound somewhere in between 80's rock like Van Halen, and early 90's grunge. Plus we get to hear some guitar solos again! @lol@ Hopefully this is the kick in the pants that the music industry needs to start moving in the direction of the rock guitar once more...it's long overdue.

If you haven't checked them out yet, and long for some real rock, GO BUY THIS CD. There isn't a song on the album that I dislike.

Not my cup of tea but to each his own. I hated Creed and I've heard these guys and wasn't impressed. Reminds me too much of Creed still.

If you dig them then that's cool, but are you serious about how you think these guys are here to save rock and roll or whatever?? You should try out some other modern bands like The Trews, The Music, Velvet Revolver, The Hives, Billy Talent, Alexisonfire, The Strokes, The Vines, The Darkness, or Jet. I'm not saying you'll like all of these bands, but at least check them out before you start recomending Alterbridge as "real rock". Hell, go back and listen to the greats like Hendrix, Led Zeplin, Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, Metallica, Kiss and all the others. Now those are some cats who know how to rock the guitar. And just so you know I'm not trying to be a dick here, just offering some suggestions to a fellow rock fan.

Okay...first off, read my original post before you start trying to tell me about rock.

Secondly:

If you dig them then that's cool, but are you serious about how you think these guys are here to save rock and roll or whatever??

My original point, in case you didn't read my post, was that Creed proved they have what it takes to push their way into mainstream music and stay there. That given, the fact that Tremonti is one of the very, very few guitarists left who actually does any soloing, and actually plays lead guitar...not just the catch riff...brings some hope to what has been dead in rock for nearly 10 years. That, coupled with Alterbridge's lead singer's awesome vocals is what this music industry needs to possibly push mainstream music back towards rock again.

You should try out some other modern bands like The Trews, The Music, Velvet Revolver, The Hives, Billy Talent, Alexisonfire,  The Strokes, The Vines, The Darkness, or Jet.

Um...over half of the bands you listed here aren't rock, in case you don't know. Bands like The Hives, The Strokes, and The Vines are more punk than anything, and have contributed to the steady decline of any form of rock music within the mainstream, and what is "popular," and have helped push crap like N'Sync and what not into the spotlight. They have no real talent, and hide it with a simple, catchy guitar riff, and some snappy vocals. That's all they have to offer time and time again. It's fun to listen to once or twice, but doesn't have any depth to make you keep returning and listening for things you didn't hear the first 100 times you listened to it...much less have any real meaning to the lyrics, other than what's on the surface.

On a side note, Velvet Revolver had a chance, but ended up sounding more like a "Worst of STP" album...especially the lyrics/vocals. Mostly, it is Scott Weiland whining about how he's a drug addict going through withdrawals, or him jacked up on heroin and trying to make it sound as if he's throwing insightful thoughts at you. Don't get me wrong, Slash is possibly one of the best guitarists to ever grace rock, but VR is a flop overall...mostly due to Scott's poor lyrics and melodies.

On a second side note, Audioslave blows all of those groups out of the water when it comes to modern rock.

I'm not saying you'll like all of these bands, but at least check them out before you start recomending Alterbridge as "real rock". Hell, go back and listen to the greats like Hendrix, Led Zeplin, Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, Metallica, Kiss and all the others.

Who are you again? Ask anyone here who knows me, and they'll laugh at the fact that you're recommending that I go back and listen to Hendrix, Zeplin, GnR, Nirvana, Metallica and Kiss. @lol@

And just for the record, I don't like Kiss, but that's another thread.

Hendrix was a God on the guitar, who wrote insightful lyrics, and played with a passion that no one could ever emulate. No comparison, EVER.

Zeplin was extremely original, and arguments could be made that they were instrumental composers, over song writers. They had a variety of music over the years, that never sounded alike, and no label could ever be applied to...well, because all of their songs were all so different from one another.

GnR was Slash. It was always about Slash, and will always be about Slash. Granted, Axl wrote most of their songs, but Slash made them happen. Best band of the 80's, hands down.

Cobain couldn't play guitar and couldn't sing, but he was damn good at doing it, and making people like it. Plus, he was unwillingly the spokesman for an entire generation of teens full of angst and depression...for whatever reason. And if you're gonna mention Nirvana, why not mention Soundgarden or Alice in Chains? Now they knew how to write music...possibly better than Nirvana. They just didn't get the attention that Nirvana did.

Metallica is Metallica. Hammett's guitar work is the only great guitar work to maintain through nearly 3 decades, and stay great. Lars is possibly one of the best drummers the rock industry has ever seen, and James' vocals/lyrics are mindblowing. Pretty hard to find any flaws in Metallica, whether you're more into their metal side, or their post-Black album stuff.

I see traits of all of these bands/musicians in Creed and Alterbridge...even more so, now that Stapp is gone. As I said before, they're about rocks only hope of changing the course of mainstream music right now, and I'm more than willing to support it. Staind is possibly the only other band that can make this difference as well.

Don't jump into a thread and start trying to explain rock history to someone who probably knows more about it than yourself. It's bad form, and makes you look stupid.

Now those are some cats who know how to rock the guitar.

No argument there. But the fact that you think anyone from these bands:

"The Trews, The Music,...The Hives, Billy Talent, Alexisonfire, The Strokes, The Vines, The Darkness, or Jet."

...are better than Tremonti, then it just shows your lack of knowledge about what the guitar is really about.

And just so you know I'm not trying to be a dick here, just offering some suggestions to a fellow rock fan.

I'm not trying to be a dick either, but I know I am. Just don't jump into a thread, try to school me on Rock, and think I'm gonna let it slip. @wink@

Ah I forgot AC/DC, Sublime, Ramones, Sonic Youth, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the Misfits.

Dude...Sublime wasn't rock.

The Ramones were punk...and are creditted as being the founders of it.

RHCP isn't really rock either...More like a combo of funk/rock.

Ugh...nevermind.

Re-read the title of this post. Emphasis on "awesome vocals" and "rock guitar"...meaning kickass, distortion/wah-peddle saturated solos, fingerboard work that makes your head spin, and real lead guitar.

Dude... seriously, there's more to rock than guitars and vocals, and there's a reason why it's called punk rock. I can see that you know your stuff, but i mean, you start saying that Cree.. sorry, Alterbridge is gonna actually do something important for rock? It doesn't matter if your some hardcore veteren here or not, that's just stupid, Alterbridge is no different than the pop music you say you hate so much, with the only difference being they use guitars instead of shitty pop background music. It's the watered down, sanatized for your safety christian rock like this that hurts us more than it helps us. What we need right now is a band that does something different, that takes into consideration what has come before, but blazes a sound of it's own that's never been heard before, not a rehash of a rehash of what was once a good band.

Darthjoe makes it seem like it's the second coming of Christ, when it's really just Creed with a new singer. They sound the same as they did when they were Creed, and when you listen to them, you will know what I mean.

They won't make you have an orgasm in your pants when you listen to them, but they do sound better now that Stapp is gone.

Dude... seriously, there's more to rock than guitars and vocals, and there's a reason why it's called punk rock. I can see that you know your stuff, but i mean, you start saying that Cree.. sorry, Alterbridge is gonna actually do something important for rock? It doesn't matter if your some hardcore veteren here or not, that's just stupid, Alterbridge is no different than the pop music you say you hate so much, with the only difference being they use guitars instead of shitty pop background music. It's the watered down, sanatized for your safety christian rock like this that hurts us more than it helps us. What we need right now is a band that does something different, that takes into consideration what has come before, but blazes a sound of it's own that's never been heard before, not a rehash of a rehash of what was once a good band.

Well, I'm back from my vacation...check the GD boards later on for an update on that ;)...sorry I couldn't reply sooner. :)

Anyways, like I said in the title of this thread, it's nice to see a band with a solid lead singer, and someone who can actually play the guitar, who has a chance at stepping into the spotlight.

I think a lot of you misinterpretted my intentions in this post. Once again, read before coming down on me so hard.

IMO, punk sucks, and is basically any group with a whiny singer, and guitarists that know how to play some power chords. Actually, that's not really just my opinion, that's what punk is in a nutshell. How often do you see a punk singer showing some real vocal range, or a punk guitarist going solo and ripping up the fret board? Not very often.

And, I invite you to show me the "shitty pop" music on this album. I hate pop with a passion, and know quite a bit about music, yet like this. <_<

Im defiantly going to look into this band after what youve said Joe, but I find it hard to belive the guys got a range anything near Cornell. Its gonna take same convincing. @lol@

Well...I may have been stretching the truth a little bit @wink@ @lol@, but this guy does have some serious vocal range. Just listen to the first few tracks off the album, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Darthjoe makes it seem like it's the second coming of Christ, when it's really just Creed with a new singer. They sound the same as they did when they were Creed, and when you listen to them, you will know what I mean.

Let me ask you this, Dustin: How many did was Tremonti allowed to show off his guitar skills with Creed? How many times did he solo? Now, compare it to this new album. You could tell he knew how to play the guitar by listening to Creed's albums, but just gave hints of how good he was...with this album, he proves just how good he is, and it's very welcomed to see a very good guitar player, who is able to make it into mainstream music, and be able to show us what he has.

Sure, they basically have the same sound, because Tremonti wrote the music for Creed, with Stapp writing a lot of the lyrics, but Alterbridge is not a Creed clone due to the fact that Tremonti brings a whole new flavor by writing the lyrics, taking his liberties on the guitar (in soloing, and leading), and they have a singer with some actual range...not the Eddie Vedder-like Stapp.

They won't make you have an orgasm in your pants when you listen to them, but they do sound better now that Stapp is gone.

Exactly.

And if you would read what I'm saying, that's exactly the point I'm trying to get across, along with the fact that there is actual guitar playing on this album.

I would guess that a lot of you arguing with me about this don't play the guitar or sing, and don't really understand what I'm trying to say here. :(

I would guess that a lot of you arguing with me about this don't play the guitar or sing, and don't really understand what I'm trying to say here. :(

No, I understand exactly what you're saying. It's nice that Tremonti is able to show off some of his spectacular guitar playing now that the uber control freak Stapp is gone, but I digress. It's still Creed, but with a better singer and guitar solos.

Much like how Velvet Revolver is just Guns N' Roses with the voice of STP.

Maybe it's just me, though. =/

Anyone who likes Creed is a disgrace to rock. End of story.

PS, Billy Talent, Velvet Revolver, Hives, Killers, etc etc are great bands, despite their difference from classic rock. It was wrong of RandomHero to pack them into rock, as I would classify them as New Wave. That is probably the main point towards them, is that they're not trying to be like Hendrix, Zeppelin, Yardbirds, etc because its been done. I have to stop listening to classic bands sometimes, because you hear it all before, and its not often that it changes or that theres something you've missed (aside: there are a lot of bands that you can listen like this, especially Megadeth). Also, if you would listen to Kiss, and you are a fan of rock, then you should also be a fan of Kiss. You whine about guitar riffs and great singing, and then you say you don't like Kiss. Well you poor uneducated and ignorant soul, Kiss rules, and they rock harder than any band on the planet. The only band to have more gold records than them is the Beatles, and they don't count as rock, as I elaborate in the next paragraph.

PS, I hate bands that fall into rock, but aren't rock. Now, I don't mean punk or new wave stuff like what I mentioned at the start of this post, because I love both those genres, not so much punk, but I love the Ramones and a bunch of others. What I really mean are bands like the Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Dylan(I loved the Travelling Willburys tho), Janis Joplin, and other garbage. I can't express how much I despise the Beatles. I mean, who wants to sit down to a rock song, and get a wussy cry song. Too bad Lennon was the only Beatle to be shot.

Now, its harsh to say that I hate the Beatles, I know, however, there are exceptions to the rule. Anything by Wings, because Paul learned how to rock, and stop being a suck rocker in the Beatles. Also, George Harrison was a brilliant writer, and drastically underused in the Beatles. His influences with Clapton are the major example of this. (I love anything by Cream). Ringo can go to hell.

PPS, I just schooled you on rock. Oh and Sublime, the Trews, Kirk Hammet all suck ass.

Also, if you would listen to Kiss, and you are a fan of rock, then you should also be a fan of Kiss. You whine about guitar riffs and great singing, and then you say you don't like Kiss.

You know I've listened to rock all my life and IMO I think Kiss (next to the beatles) is the most overrated band. I find nothing impressive in their music, Frehleys guitar work and Gene at best is a mediocre bass player. I'd like to see Gene pull of some of the licks that John Myung or Robert Trujillo (Suicidal era) does or have Frehley imitate a Kerry King/Alex Skolnik solo. I highly doubt Gene and Frehley can play anything more than a few bars and power chords and average solos.

The sad thing about Kiss is that they've become greedy and do all they can to live off the "Kiss" name (at least Paul and Gene is). Nowadays, Kiss is nothing more than a commercial band with actors.

Well you poor uneducated and ignorant soul, Kiss rules, and they rock harder than any band on the planet.

No offense but nice way of being a newb on this board by calling a fellow board member an "uneducated and ignorant soul" for voicing his opinion on liking Alter Bridge. I'm really sure you'll make lots of friends on this board, but then again, thats probably not your intentions.

PPS, I just schooled you on rock.

No you didn't. You just gave Darthjoe your opinion on what "rock" is. Theres a difference.

And btw Welcome to the Boards.

No, I understand exactly what you're saying. It's nice that Tremonti is able to show off some of his spectacular guitar playing now that the uber control freak Stapp is gone, but I digress. It's still Creed, but with a better singer and guitar solos.

Much like how Velvet Revolver is just Guns N' Roses with the voice of STP.

Maybe it's just me, though. =/

Yeah...You're right, Dustin.

I still love this band though, now that Stapp is gone, and still dislike Velvet Revolver due to Weiland's poor writing abilities. Like I said before, most of VR's songs make me feel like I'm a heroin addict going through withdrawals, or like I just shot up. @wink@

Either way, the point of this post was to try to support GOOD guitar playing, and an awesome front man, of which I've been shown that no one here is interested in seeing...and would rather have mainstream music be comprised of crappy boy bands, and slutty singers, who don't even write their own music...which is a shame. :(

Anyone who likes Creed is a disgrace to rock. End of story.

Well, I loved "My Own Prison," especially the song itself...slightly enjoyed "Human Clay"...and disliked "Weathered," save a few tracks.

Overall, I'd say I liked Creed as a band, but didn't enjoy Stapp's vocals, or the majority of his lyrics...mainly because he sounded too much like Eddy Vedder with a Christian edge...which just didn't work out too well in the end.

That still doesn't change the fact that Tremonti is a great guitar player/song writer, or that Kennedy is an awesome singer. I can appreciate both of them for their efforts...just as well as I can appreciate Creed for what they were worth.

Does that make me a disgrace to rock? Enjoying good, if not the best guitar playing we've heard from any new, mainstream rock guitarist in the last decade? I would say not. And if you can't see that...then I feel sorry for you. :(

PS, Billy Talent, Velvet Revolver, Hives, Killers, etc etc are great bands, despite their difference from classic rock.

...or the fact that they just suck. @lol@

That is probably the main point towards them, is that they're not trying to be like Hendrix, Zeppelin, Yardbirds, etc because its been done.

And it is unfortunate that they don't know how to write music that both appeals to the masses, while at the same time being creative, original, mindblowing, instrumental, and awing. @wink@

I have to stop listening to classic bands sometimes, because you hear it all before, and its not often that it changes or that theres something you've missed (aside: there are a lot of bands that you can listen like this, especially Megadeth).

Wait...what in the H-E-Double-hockey sticks are you talking about?

I can listen to many of the old school bands, including Floyd, Led, Hendrix,...not so new bands like Van Halen, GnR, Metallica, and 90's grunge like AIC, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Silverchair, and still catch little riffs, awkward time signatures, vocal's that stun me (be it ranges that no man should be able to hit, or singing that no untrained voice should be able to accomplish), guitar solos that still escape my accomplishments on the guitar, drum beats that are out of the ordinary, etc, etc. I never tire of the classic/not so classic artists that made a name for themselves by being the best at what they do. :)

Also, if you would listen to Kiss, and you are a fan of rock, then you should also be a fan of Kiss.

@lol@

Kiss is to rock, what Britney Spears is to Pop, IMO. That sounds harsh, but they were pop-rock at it's best, to be truthful.

You whine about guitar riffs and great singing, and then you say you don't like Kiss.

Wait, wait, wait...when did you ever hear Simmons hit a note like Cornell? Simmons wasn't a great singer...just like Cobain wasn't. The only difference was that Cobain wrote lyrics that sounded deep, even though they weren't, to tell the truth. Simmons sang crap like, "I wanna rock and roll all night." :rolleyes: Sure, kiss had a good lead guitarist, but Frehley did nothing that most accomplished guitar players cant' do. Now, compare that to what Hendrix did...or even what guitarists like Kim Thayil/Jerry Cantrell did while having their guitars tuned into strange tunings.

All in all, if you like pop-rock, I can understand why you like Kiss, and I don't look down on you for it, but Kiss is far from being the epitome of what rock was, is, or will be about.

Point aside, I still think Kiss sucks. @wink@

PS, I hate bands that fall into rock, but aren't rock. Now, I don't mean punk or new wave stuff like what I mentioned at the start of this post, because I love both those genres, not so much punk, but I love the Ramones and a bunch of others. What I really mean are bands like the Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Dylan(I loved the Travelling Willburys tho), Janis Joplin, and other garbage. I can't express how much I despise the Beatles. I mean, who wants to sit down to a rock song, and get a wussy cry song. Too bad Lennon was the only Beatle to be shot.

Now, its harsh to say that I hate the Beatles, I know, however, there are exceptions to the rule. Anything by Wings, because Paul learned how to rock, and stop being a suck rocker in the Beatles. Also, George Harrison was a brilliant writer, and drastically underused in the Beatles. His influences with Clapton are the major example of this. (I love anything by Cream). Ringo can go to hell.

PPS, I just schooled you on rock. Oh and Sublime, the Trews, Kirk Hammet all suck ass.

Oh, you did, huh? @lol@

Well, as much as I hate to admit it myself, I would say Joplin, and especially the Beatles made rock what it is today. Without the Beatles, many of the bands we heard during the 80's and early 90's wouldn't have had any influences to draw from. Just where in the heck do you think progressive rock/80's rock/90's grunge/heavy metal/etc/etc/etc came from. I guarantee, many of the bands from these genres would credit the Beatles as having some direct/indirect influence on them. Like it or not, the Beatles were a stepping stone in rock history...so, I guess you really don't know all that much about rock. @wink@

I just noticed this too...

What I really mean are bands like the Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Dylan(I loved the Travelling Willburys tho), Janis Joplin, and other garbage.

Dude...if you knew anything about rock, you wouldn't be saying Dylan sucked. He was an aweful vocalist, but he wrote a lot of songs that became rock hits. He paved the way for rock, just as much as the Beatles did...just more on the down low.

Seriously, if you're gonna come on here spouting this crap about how great Kiss is, and how insignificant the Beatles and Bob Dylan are to rock...you need to go read up on your rock history. Neither are really my choice of music, but I can appreciate them for what they were, and recognize that they knew how to write great music.

Oh and Sublime, the Trews, Kirk Hammet all suck ass.

Hammett sucks a$$? @lol@ I suppose Santana, Satriani, Van Morrison, etc are some of the worst guitar players in history, too? @loll@ Even though many of these guitarists tastes in music differ from my own, I can still recognize greatness when I see it. Anyone who knows anything about guitars, rock, or music will tell you that Hammett is possibly one of the best guitarists to ever step on the rock stage...like Metallica or not.

Once again, if you're gonna come talk this $h*t, take it to someone who doesn't know what you're talking about...your point will be taken more seriously. You just made yourself look like a fool to anyone who knows anything about music.

Velvet Revolver did NOT flop...the album has sold about 2 million records...Slither and Fall to pieces both have had big success as singles both on radio and mtv/vh1, which is saying something considering they aren't the typical radio friendly singles...Many critics out there has said it is the best album of the year thus far...

I bought Alter Bridge because I do like the single, I also like Track 7 but beyond that the album was mediocre, in my opinion.

Velvet Revolver did NOT flop...the album has sold about 2 million records...Slither and Fall to pieces both have had big success as singles both on radio and mtv/vh1, which is saying something considering they aren't the typical radio friendly singles...Many critics out there has said it is the best album of the year thus far...

I bought Alter Bridge because I do like the single, I also like Track 7 but beyond that the album was mediocre, in my opinion.

Man...don't get me wrong...I like Slash and Weiland...but, IMO, it didn't work out so well. Slash is probably one of the top ten best RnR guitarists in the last 20 years, and Weiland is awesome, when he's singing other people's songs. The biggest detraction is Weiland's poor lyric writing abilities. Look at his solo album from about five years ago...it was a disaster. He lacks any concept of what makes for good, insightful lyrics, outside of what his heroin-addicted mind can muster up.

As an example, what in the hell is this crap?:

Somebody raped my tapeworm abortion

Come on motherfuckers and deliver the cow

What you get is a crash course to be a man

But a man is a destination never known

Sometimes dressed up like a red hot lady in pumps

Don't think she can get enough

Always feel like she's runnin on a hamster wheel

Getting high, crashing cars and makin mistakes

Keepin her face packed with cocaine

Her face is numb your faith is gone

Seriously, #WTF#. Who in the hell does this connect with? Not me. I would guess that it would mean something to me if I was on a lot of drugs (probably not even then), but other than that, most of his lyrics make the attempt at trying to sound deep, while having no real meaning.

And truthfully, 2 million records is quite a few, but not a lot. And out of those 2 million, how many do you think were sold purely out of curiosity of a merge between GnR and STP, or by diehard GnR/STP fans? I would doubt very many were actually sold due to the fact that someone heard one of their songs on the radio, and thought it was good.

I guess my point is, Velvet Revolver doesn't stand a chance at pushing guitar based/(slightly) vocal based rock back into the mainstream...Alterbridge does. That's been my whole point throughout this thread.

While I do see some of your points, I really can't bring myself to think Weiland is a poor lyricist. I will say sometimes he goes into these...tangents...where maybe he thinks other people will understand his inuendos, and they come across as nonsense.

I wasn't a big fan of his solo album, except for track 2 (Barbarella). Had he stuck to that nice harmonic sound throughout the whole album it could have been real good...

Anyway, I always loved STP and feel most of those albums are lyrically tight (perhaps with the exception of Tiny Music)

As for the tracks you quoted, I do agree to a point. Neither of those are my favorite on the album, I tend to prefer Weiland in slower stuff like "Fall to Pieces", "Loving the Alien" and no harder then say "Slither" or "Dirty Little Thing"

Ten years ago, saying 2 million albums sold isn't much would be true. However, in recent years, selling 2 million is about the equivalent of about 7 or 8 back then! If you've noticed, no matter how popular a song becomes, it seems like (because of downloading, etc.) you really don't see albums sell in huge numbers anymore.

An example, Hoobastank. While I'm not personally a huge fan, I noticed that despite their song "The Reason" getting an astronomical amount of airplay their album has yet to reach 1 million. Even pop superstars like Britney are hard pressed to break 4 million anymore.

Something I forgot to mention about Alter Bridge. I LOVE this guy's voice and I think he's wasting his potential with the type of songs he is currently doing.