Mouth Types

I AM SCI-FI

Which Mouth Type do you prefer? Why?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which Mouth Type do you prefer? Why?

• Mouth plate, like Optimus Prime and Soundwave.
    • Humanoid mouth, like Megatron and Ultra Magnus.
    • No mouth, like Shockwave.
    • Animal-type mouths, like Ravage.
    • Other. Please, share. (I might have missed a type).

I've always prefered the Mouth Plates that Optimus Prime and Soundwave have. Why? I just think it looks cooler. Almost Knight-esque. The Humanoid mouths never made sense to me, even when I was a kid watching the cartoon series.

Also, I'm looking for a TF site in which it seperates the Transformers, into groups, according to their mouths in their Robot forms.

***UPDATE: 12-13-2006***

I know it's been a while since this thread was started, but I was wondering if anyone now prefers the mouths that Megatron and Barricade have in the live-action movie.

Yup faceplates all the way... mouths on robots = stupid... they move up & down when they talk like ours do but I dout it actaully has anything to do with the way they talk :S

I've allways asumed that they used some kinda speaker system or something... radio transmiters... whatever... I mean they can talk back & forth to each other in car mode just fine...

I like 'em all. Faceplates are awesome but if they are put on the wrong head/body, it does affect the figure.

Humanoid is cool too, and the first mouth that comes to mind is G1 Jazz; the smirk is pretty cool.

Both no mouth and animal-mouth depends on the rest of the body. If it needs either, then great. But some are known for it (i.e. G1 Shockwave), and it just has to go with it.

I do like the grill and protruding mouths, a la BM Blastcharge and Energon Cruellock/Doom-Lock.

Ergo, it just depends on the figure.

I dig the mouth-plate the most. Not sure why. I think that its just because it doesn;t have so many facial expressions that way. These are robots.

I'm with Slup here. More robotic, plus Soundwave has one. @wub@

Plus, if you want to get technical, wouldn't the mouth-faced bots have to have a ton of small parts to make up their faces since they can create all those facial expressions? Instead of a mouthplate and speaker.

What about the grill-type mouths?  Like Bombshell, Warpath and Wheeljack have?

Like mouthplates, but they don't move when they speak.

I do like the grill and protruding mouths, a la BM Blastcharge and Energon Cruellock/Doom-Lock.

I consider the Grill Mouth Types to be a sub-part of the Mouthplate Types, and I have to agree that they are cool.

Not to go too far here, but I'm a little drunk and I was initially confused by the title of this thread. I thought we were talking Angelina Jolie vs. Angie Harmon or something. As far as toys go, I prefer the type that Prime has, with the plate on it.

• 2 years later...

I know it's been a while since this thread was started, but I was wondering if anyone now prefers the mouths that Megatron and Barricade have in the live-action movie.

I'm like others in that I don't prefer one over the other. It just becomes a characteristic that just happens to be a feature they have. But as a kid I always found the humanoid faces interesting, and I used to judge how cool a given Transformer was by how cool his face looked. (lol) Yeah...silly, I know. And the faceplate just had this great look about it. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it does invoke the power and chivalry of a knight's faceplate, and it looks so tough. I don't know. I do know that I can never envision Optimus Prime without his faceplate, and I remember being very disappointed in the Machine Wars Optimus Prime to discover that he didn't have a faceplate like the box art suggested. I was so ticked off. (lol) It just depends on the character, and their features become unique to an extent. Am I m aking any sense here?

But while we're on the subject, I also used to have a problem with the Transformers' humanoid faces being so articulate, as if they weren't made of metal. It didn't make sense to me as a kid at all. But years later, after seeing the T-1000 on Terminator 2 with his liquid metal attributes, it made me think that maybe that's how Transformers could possibly articulate with their faces like they do in the show and animated movie. (I analyze stuff too much, don't I?) (lol)

Ohh, the mouth type depends I think. Sometimes a mouth plate looks good, but it doesnt suit all TFs. I like both mouth plate and humanesque look.

But since Optimus has one Ill go with mouth plate. They look like ninja masks! B)

hard choice cuz i really like both the huminoid mouths and the mouthplate types. i would say i like them the same but if i had to choose i guess i'd go with the mouthplates

I like them all, b/c it makes them unique... but I voted for mouth plates b/c c'MON... it's OPTIMUS and SOUNDWAVE!!! :P

& wow...this thread IS old!! :P

All, it depends on the robot it's on.

The stupid question is animal mouth?? Obviously, it's gonna look good on an animal? As opposed to being on Prime or Megatron. Duh. :huh:

The UGLIEST mouth is the mouthplate and humanoid mouth combo on Optimus Primal in Beast Wars. WTF is that crap?? Either draw him with one or the other. It looks like his mouth plate is worn out, and his mouth is showing through. Kinda like an old, worn out pair of socks, that is showing a big toe. LOL @loll@