Have Reissues Halted You Collecting At All???

Starscream49

They have a little for me. Take for example Artfire, I dont have him, but I want him. Im not going to pay around $400 just to have him reissued 3 months late ahla Stepper.

Now Im glad to get the reissues but it at the same time I have to be super cautious or lokk for super deals before I buy.

Gotta agree with you there. I bought the Insecticons off e-bay and like a week later we found out they were being reissued. I paid more for them then the reissue costs. There are a few figs I want to get, but want to wait to get them in case they are reissued.

But this hasn't slowed my collecting :P

I switched my focus away from G1 and put it to other lines.

I already had most of the orginals that I wanted to get, if I like the figure I want a nice vintage figure and not a reissue. If I buy vintage now though its with a eye to a custom most of the time or something that won't be reissued. I think the only figure left that I'd get even with the threat of it being alot cheaper as a reissue is Diaclone Swoop.

Not really - in fact, I'd say they increased my collecting because some of the prices of sealed originals actually fell on e-bay. Take Jazz for instance - I can get one in the $200's now whereas before he was reissued, you'd have to shell out a pretty penny for one....

I like having an original set of the Dinos, but I put them off because I do think they'll get reissued and when they do, watch a whole bunch of sealed originals flood the market - meaning better deals for us buyers :)

I'd only buy loose figures if there really cheap so basicly just off fleamarkets & what not... I would only shell out for misb items that you know you reallly want... misb never drops down in price that much even with a reissuse out there ;)

& hey... if anything you buy a misb origianl then the reissuse if it comes out... & open it & have some fun :D MISB & minty loose look great on display next to each other

For me the reissues have made it possible to purchase all the characters I loved as a kid but never had. Also to have brand new, shiny minty fresh versions of said characters to boot! It has however, made it hard to determin which toys are not going to be reissued, etc. I now think, especially with Predaking coming, that any reissue is possible. I have not bought any vintage toys in quite a while, but am leaning towards buying Sunstreaker. I so want one, but I know the second I get him....wham reissue time. It makes it hard to wait also, but if it saves hundreds of dollars, its worth it. However if I happen to hit the lottery, I don't care, I'm buying that Sunstreaker damnit!

Most originals are WAAAAAYYYYY out of my price range (except maybe the minibots). So the reissues give me the chance to pick up G1 figures.

On the plus side, since the reissues tend to shelfwarm for some time (the only ones no longer available are Prime, Magnus, Hot Rod and Starscream), I can pick them up at a more leisurely pace.

The reissues are what got me into collecting TFs in the first place. The originals are just too expensive for me right now, in the condition I want anyway. I say bring 'em on!

True - the reissues also got me started - but then I wanted the originals of thones that hadn't been reissued yet...Go figure...

I started collecting originals, about 3-4 years ago, and we started having the first reissues about that time, with 50-60 being the lowest you'd see a reissue, with a few small exceptions. That basically kept me collecting the originals, though I preferred reissues(I had a Starscream reissue) as I'd rather have a shiny new one.

I took about a year off of collecting thanks to being poor, and when I started looking around again the first six Takara Collection reissues were out, and the first three waves of Hasbro were out. Basically, I wouldn't have started collecting again if it hadn't been for cheaper reissues. I started with Hasbro reissues, first buying Bluestreak, and kind of mixed feelings over a black gun and missles that were not original, but looked great on him. I later bought Jazz, and was angered by the black gun and black enlarged missle. They didn't look great in my opinion, and the big missle really bothered me. About this time I noticed that the Seeker Jets had ridiculous missles and I totally abandoned Hasbro.

As of right now, I have a reissue of every figure that Hasbro and Takara have released in the two current lines, Takara's Collection and Hasbro's Commemorative series. I have the compete set of Takara reissues, and I have Bluestreak, Red Alert, Hoist, Grapple, Hot Rod, Rodimus Prime, Thundercracker, Skywarp and Thrust of Commemorative series, and I have older Japanese reissues of God Ginrai and Ultra Magnus(as well as older reissues of Sixshot and Starscream in the original toy colors).

I don't have a problem paying $35 for Japanese reissues. Hasbro lowering the prices to "Reasonable" does nothing for me.

Takara's stuff overall has been well done...Hasbro isn't so bad, but the missile sizes and lack of pipes on Prime and Magnus wree a little disturbing to start out with....

Good topic!

I would say that it hasn't had a huge effect on my collecting. I still buy all the G1s I can for good prices.

But it has had some effect. I've been looking for a 100% complete/mint Thundercracker for some time at a good price. Thanks to the reissues, I have one now and the price was fine. Getting all the seekers 100% mint and complete (without paying an arm & a leg) for me looks like a reality now.

Thank you Has/Tak!