Building A Custom Base

T.A.P.

when i built my castle ...i used 3/4 inch ply wood for the outer walls

and 1/2 inch for the floors and other walls--and i used 1/2 inch by 1/2

hobby wood to reinforce them

reason for 3/4 inch......if you screw it together anything smaller it will split the wood

DOC

......the problem painting with any wood is the grain showing through....you can try sanding the mess out of it..or i've put a skim coat of joint compound on it,,,then lightly sanding......

How did you get around that problem DOCHOLIDAY56?

......the problem painting with any wood is the grain showing through....you can try sanding the mess out of it..or i've put a skim coat of joint compound on it,,,then lightly sanding......

How did you get around that problem DOCHOLIDAY56?

textured paint .....i used the STONE SPRAY PAINT.......it gave the effect of stone for the castle.......it runs 8 dollars a can ------i used about 15 cans on my castle

im also goig back this winter and adding blocks of wood for each wall basically going to give it the effect that it is a brick wall

it will be time consumming though. i figure i need to add about 1800

seperate blocks of wood

you can always add some kind of texture ...........it really depens on what type of base your building and what you want it to look like

I mean how far do you want to push it and how much time and money do you want to put in to it.....

mine took my about 45 days from start to finish.........i was self employed and worked at home

so the hoursi put into it i cannot even begin to guess

but over all i had planned it out for about 12 months before i even began to build it--------lots of drawing and lots of card board mock ups too!!!!

there were a few times i actually thought of stuff as i went ....

but the planning on paper and the mock ups are what really helped me

any more questions ...please feel free to ask

P.M. ME so were not boring everyone else with this......LOL

DOC

FOAMCORE BOARDS

Go to any arts & crafts supply store. Very easy to cut and work with! ^_^

Go with what VH said.

Foamcore is great and you can buy lots of it from any hobby shop for cheap (I think a big sheet of plain white at 1/4" thickness goes for $2.50 or something like that at stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby).

Just make sure to buy a few spare exacto blades and some light sand paper with it. And take your time.

Foamcore takes spray paint nicely and if you don't want to get into spray painting foamcore does come in several colors. Plus it's a lot lighter than plywood.

Use a decent glue with it such as Liquid Nails or something along those lines--something that works well with porous materials.

But if you're just looking for something you can play with, beat up and throw out, then cardboard boxes are outstanding. The problem with cardboard is how the edges are corrugated and how they fray. Have fun!

If you don't want to use plywood due to the rough surface, you could use MDF (medium density fiber) board. It has a smooth surface and you don't have to worry about splitting. A light sanding and it's ready for painting. Just don't get it soaking wet or it'll swell. You could also use LPM (low pressure melamine) board. You can buy this at Lowe's or Home Depot. It comes in 3/4" board with a standard white finish, and is fairly inexpensive.

.i made a castle out of pine...i cut all the 'blocks'..aged them and painted them ...the inner walls are 'smoothed' out with joint compound and then sanded....if you want TAP..i'll e-mail you some pic's of it...before and after...i would put it on here but i don't know how.....i'm currently working on a 'complex....sort of a g.i. joe doll house [for lack of a better discription...]