"The Batman" Discussion Thread

JayC

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dunno what the show is missing,,,but i like it still...its just missing the old spark but im growin into it

Yeah, it's weird like that. The first episode completely turned me off to the idea, but the second one was better than the first...

It /might/ be working its way uphill. Maybe. The jury's still out for me, I'll say that much.

WTF?

Maybe I can buy that the joker knows kung fu and can street fight like a damn monkey in a monkey knife fight, but the penguin? Jumping around like he know ninjitsu? Doing that rapid jumping kick like yoshi when you press downwards and attack in the air? For those of you who haven't seen it, imagine a short fat man busting out the moves like he is goku. Imagine him pull out a light saber whip and totally kick batman's ass. I have a sinking feeling that every character in this show knows CTHD (crouching tiger, hidden dragon) style martial arts, and that the ventrouliquest will use the crouching lotus style to defeat batman.

so what are we calling this batman then? the yu-gi-oh dragon-ball style batman?

I still call it "Batman: Evolution"

not bad. I also like Jackie Wayne Adventures

After seeing this morning's episode, it actually looked like a hybrid of the two; 'Evolution' Bruce vs the Penguin's 'JKA' assistants.

I like the voice for Alfred; even though, it not quite the same 'universe', it gave it some familiarity imo.

I hope (Detective?) Gordon does show up at some point; he's sorely missed, imo. I wouldn't mind seeing a few 'easter eggs' for long-time fans; maybe an appearance by atty. Harvey Dent, a circus poster feat. the "Flying Graysons' in the background. Not something actually involved in the story; just something thrown in (like the animator names mentioned earlier.)

I've definately seen worse. <_>

WTF?

Maybe I can buy that the joker knows kung fu and can street fight like a damn monkey in a monkey knife fight, but the penguin? Jumping around like he know ninjitsu? Doing that rapid jumping kick like yoshi when you press downwards and attack in the air? For those of you who haven't seen it, imagine a short fat man busting out the moves like he is goku. Imagine him pull out a light saber whip and totally kick batman's ass. I have a sinking feeling that every character in this show knows CTHD (crouching tiger, hidden dragon) style martial arts, and that the ventrouliquest will use the crouching lotus style to defeat batman.

You know, it's funny you mention that...because in the comics, Penguin /does/ know martial arts. He became a diligent student after being tormented in school by bullies (it was in one of those Batman origin one-shot issues...it had stories revolving around the Penguin, Riddler, and Two-Face). In fact, he's supposed to be a pretty agile fellow, kinda like the Kingpin (a person whom you've never see coming).

The Joker, on the other hand, was supposed to have been a failed comedian. At most, he'd know how to throw a few punches and kicks. Maybe.

those easter eggs would be cool to see...after careful evaluation i do notice somewhat a resemblence of this Batmobile to the Bat-Tank in the new movie...its not exact but has some hints of familiarty

WTF?

Maybe I can buy that the joker knows kung fu and can street fight like a  damn monkey in a monkey knife fight, but the penguin? Jumping around like he know ninjitsu? Doing that rapid jumping kick like yoshi when you press downwards and attack in the air? For those of you who haven't seen it, imagine a short fat man busting out the moves like he is goku. Imagine him pull out a light saber whip and totally kick batman's ass. I have a sinking feeling that every character in this show knows CTHD (crouching tiger, hidden dragon) style martial arts, and that the ventrouliquest will use the crouching lotus style to defeat batman.

You know, it's funny you mention that...because in the comics, Penguin /does/ know martial arts. He became a diligent student after being tormented in school by bullies (it was in one of those Batman origin one-shot issues...it had stories revolving around the Penguin, Riddler, and Two-Face). In fact, he's supposed to be a pretty agile fellow, kinda like the Kingpin (a person whom you've never see coming).

The Joker, on the other hand, was supposed to have been a failed comedian. At most, he'd know how to throw a few punches and kicks. Maybe.

For Real? Damn, the truth is stranger than fiction.

WTF?

Maybe I can buy that the joker knows kung fu and can street fight like a  damn monkey in a monkey knife fight, but the penguin? Jumping around like he know ninjitsu? Doing that rapid jumping kick like yoshi when you press downwards and attack in the air? For those of you who haven't seen it, imagine a short fat man busting out the moves like he is goku. Imagine him pull out a light saber whip and totally kick batman's ass. I have a sinking feeling that every character in this show knows CTHD (crouching tiger, hidden dragon) style martial arts, and that the ventrouliquest will use the crouching lotus style to defeat batman.

For Real? Damn, the truth is stranger than fiction.

Seriously. I was pretty surprised when I saw that in print, myself. You definitely wouldn't know it to look at him, eh? @bomb@

i dunno what the show is missing,,,but i like it still...its just missing the old spark but im growin into it

Yeah, it's weird like that. The first episode completely turned me off to the idea, but the second one was better than the first..

I agree, the second episode is quite an improvement. that whole joker thing was awful. I hope I can forget about it and look forward to better stories.

Yeah, it's weird like that. The first episode completely turned me off to the idea, but the second one was better than the first..

I agree, the second episode is quite an improvement. that whole joker thing was awful. I hope I can forget about it and look forward to better stories.

And better characterizations...and better character designs...etc.

While I'm trying to remain optimistic, I have a bad feeling about Freeze and Bane. Something about their character designs just doesn't work. I mean, yeah, Freeze is obsessed with ice and all. But should he really look like he has a head covered in the stuff? And Bane...huge? Yes. Red? Um...

Then again, the New Batman Adventures thing with Freeze wasn't much better (Body deterioration? Good plot point, bad execution). So...who knows. In the long run, if the character acts at least reasonably the way they're supposed to act (as Penguin did), then I won't have a problem with them.

I think that its a ok show, but honestly when you've achieved animation perfection theres really no where to go but down.

That and the major problem I have with prequel stuff is that when you compare it to the shows that were done at later points (and yes I know that The Batman and BTAS aren't of the same Batman) you have that why did Batman have all this cool stuff when he was younger and downgraded when he was older.

I thought that the Penguin episode was fine, but I would prefer the villians having fire arms over being hand to hand experts.

I disliked how they screwed with Joker and Batman's first encounter, almost every version has been pretty close to the original, but they just changed to much IMHO. It took away the personality of their relationship, and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I also dislike the lack of Gordon, and that Bats acts like such a noob three years into it, I could have accepted one year, but three seams like to much.

I liked the animation, the character designs (mostly) and the animation, I just have a problem with them screwing around with the mythos.

With that said, it's worth watching, I enjoyed it enough to Tivo it.

Ironically my 9 year old nephew hated it...and he loves Teen Titans and justice league...

dont know if this was mentioned, but jokers next appereance, he has a traditional suit :D

I thought the cop in the flashback was gordon too.

this is the best episode so far. batman meets his match, but doesnt quit, and he manages to come out ahead.

also the first time i remember seeing any kind of hint at his motives (flashback).

the flashback was my favorite part of this episode! and Gordon will be in season 2

Now, see, I had a slight problem with this episode. But, first, the positives.

The flashback with Bruce in the police station was spot-on. It added depth to the episode and to Batman's character; plus, the way they did it was perfect (that fevered dream-state that one is in as they lose conciousness).

I also liked the fact that they gave a bit more insight into Alfred's relationship with Bruce, as well as Batman's ingenuity (the giant bat-suit). This episode also gave the audience an insight into Batman's determination, which is key.

The bad?

Bane. The costume design was better than I expected, and his red skin even worked out well (it adds to the idea that Venom is a hyper-steroid). However, I fear that Bane might have been /too/ large; indeed, it reminds me of the current portrayals of Mr. Hyde in movies and comics (a huge, ape-like brute as opposed to a human-sized psychopath). Granted, Bane is supposed to look pumped-up when he injects Venom into his system, but he was never able to hold Batmans whole torso in one hand. It was as if King Kong had been fighting Batman.

And then there's the question of his characterization. Bane, I'm sorry to say, did not seem all that smart in this episode; in fact, it seemed as though he relied only on his brawn as opposed to both his brawn and ingenuity. Not only that, but Bane never struck me as the type of person to commit petty theft unless it fit into some greater scheme of his.

So, while the episode falls inbetween those that I've seen (Penguin's being the best and Joker's being the worst thus far IMO), it still wasn't a rightfully proper portrayal of the Batman mythos (or of Bane in particular; his episode from BtAS remains the superior portrayal thus far).

Just my 2 cents.

Oh I'm sure that's the main reason they gave Bruce the Bat armor, so they can make a toy out of it later on. I enjoyed this episode the best out of the 3 aired so far but I felt they made Bane too huge & too dumb! He also use to be hispanic, now I don't know what he is!

As for the style, well...yeah. Its basicly par for the course of contemporary Anime-influenced kid's cartoons. This episode in particular considering the scale of bain to bats...and the fact that he's bright red...

but i think that of the three villians so far on this show, bain was the best in terms of characterization. he may not have had too much time for conspiring and showing off his intellegnce, but at least he wasnt like "BAIN SMASH!!!"

also, i liked how he said that if bats beat him, he could take his mask (and later tried to take bat's robot-mask) which is very much inkeeping with a mexican masked wrestler/luchadore

I generally liked Bane. I thought that the costume with the seams that easily came apart when he grew was pretty ingenious. However, the fact that he grew to about 15 feet tall and his skin changed color was a little too Hulkish for me. The outfit rocked though.

I didn't really like his voice... his accent was inconsistent over the course of the episode. Anyone else notice that he sounded American in the beginning, sort of British towards the end, and the only time he sounded remotely Hispanic was where he shouted, "The fight for your LIFE!" ?

By the way, I missed the Penguin episode on Saturday, so I watched it yesterday. I gotta say, that's my least favorite Penguin ever. He was just so freakin' ANNOYING!