"The Batman" Discussion Thread

JayC

Each of these versions are unique unto themselves, but they all contribute to the Batman mythos. That doesn't make any of theseversions less valid. I believe that this new series will really hit its stride, especially when more villains and familiar faces are introduced later this season and into the 2nd.

Familiar faces? The ones we have now you have NO idea who they are....Bane looks like he could be a Fantastic Four villain...NOT BANE THOUGH....

I dread their take on Ventriloquist...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to this series for one reason: It might actually give villians like Hugo Strange and Firefly legitimacy in the Batman rogue's gallery.

It wasn't until the Timm series that villians like Poison Ivy, Two-Face, and Ra's Al Ghul ever made it onto my radar. Some kid may find himself, in ten years, loving parts of Batman *I've* never heard of because of old villians that are being put in front of them in this new series.

i like straight edge's point, and totally agree...

BUT while it might give time to some characters, if the first episode is any indication, other characters are being "de-legitimized". All these characters go through changes, but tie-died straight jacket, shoe-less, ape-like martial artist "joker" is too far from the core. But it is very close to what I imagine a group of burnt out Tv exec.s might come up with in a board meeting on how to jazz up some new cartoon...which happens to be based on batman.

(also hugo strange was in an episode of BTAS, as was Firefly who also appeared on the Justice League show)

Why do we hate it? pretty simple... Jeff Matsuda, old x-men artist who was a Joe Mad rip off took care of the design, and its like a bad imitation of Japanese anime... if you want to do a cool batman anime, TAKE A GOOD JAPANESE TEAM DANG IT !!! not some B rate designer who went to do cartoons because the guys is a hack.

And Joe Mad has gone so far... talk about a hack that can't cut it. What's the last project that he's done? ON TIME?

Personally, I like Matsuda's take on these characters. Give it a chance folks. The first few episodes of BTAS weren't exactly classics either.

I enjoyed it. I agree about the first meeting between Joker ad Batman could have been a bit better, but I will continue to watch the show. Mark Hamill did an excellent job with Joker, but I still enjoy the new voice for Joker.

When is the next wave of figures coming out and is there a confirmed list of what is included in it?

Toonzone just whines about anything that doesn't come from their "Great Almighty Timm". Bruce Timm's stuff was fresh and exciting and is still going after 12 years. C'mon, so many of you are not willing to give it a chance. I know, for a fact, that the Joker will "evolve" closer and closer to the character that we know. The characters are designed differently but, at their core, they are the same villains we've known for years.

I've been collecting Batman stuff for over twenty years and I'm loving this show. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, just keep an open mind.

I knew Firefly made one appearance in the New Batman Adventures, in the episode where the kids recounted *their* versions of Batman, then got stuck in a movie theater while the real deal took on FF.

But I've never seen the episode with Hugo Strange. Thank the DVD-gods, I'll see it someday.

Also, Firefly is getting a toy in the *second wave*! We never even got a Firefly figure for the New Batman Adventures.

I guess I'm making the leap of logic that if those two, and guys like Clockmaster, are being thrown into the first episodes of the first season, they will have a much more prominent role in the overall storyline, if the show lasts. It's obvious the writers want to use the villians that weren't overplayed in the last series, to keep things fresh, and so they're not revamping *everyone* to make the show stand out from it's predeccessor. Notice how Firefly isn't much of a revamp?

But cool info, nonetheless. I hope I'll catch this show soon. But I work Saturdays, and I threw out my last VCR years ago.

Toonzone just whines about anything that doesn't come from their "Great Almighty Timm". Bruce Timm's stuff was fresh and exciting and is still going after 12 years. C'mon, so many of you are not willing to give it a chance. I know, for a fact, that the Joker will "evolve" closer and closer to the character that we know. The characters are designed differently but, at their core, they are the same villains we've known for years.

I've been collecting Batman stuff for over twenty years and I'm loving this show. Everybody's entitled to their opinion, just keep an open mind.

Thank you man i couldnt have said it better myself...my only complaint is it was too short...i think its a good new spin on things...of course i love the Timm style of things as do we all but hey if you dont like it dont frickin watch it...and Matt Green i know im supposed to stay impartial to topics now but stop being an idiot...

When is the next wave of figures coming out and is there a confirmed list of what is included in it?

There are 2 villains slated for series 2. You can read about series 2 at Legions of Gotham in the Latest Toy News forum.

http://legionsofgotham.proboards2.com/inde...&num=1095145952

Series 3 will come out in 2005 and include 2 villains in that wave also. I think Mattel is doing the right thing with their waves on this series!

There will be more major villains coming in Season 2.

It looks like The Batman is adhering to Post-Crisis continuity. In the Secret Files and Origins of the Bat-Villains (after No Man's Land), they list a timeline of villains first appearances. Two villains already listed for this season, Cluemaster and Firefly, both encountered batman in his third year of crimefighting. The Batman series takes place in his third year of crimefighting. I just thought that this was an interesting coincidence.

I liked this show. Now I've got a reason to get up before 3 PM on Saturdays!

Anyway, I don't think that the classic formula of the Batman legend has been IMPROVED, but it hasn't been WORSENED either. It's just a different take. Someone before remarked that it was the Batman version of X-Men: Evolution, and I'm thinking it's kind of like an "Ultimate Batman".

I kinda like Joker actually being able to fend for himself, hold his own in a hand-to-foot fight. The fact that he hopped around and clung to things like a monkey, I thought, added to the somewhat ridiculous, somewhat creepy lunacy of him. However, I think he'd have looked creepier without the funny-colored straight jacket... a normal one would have done it for me.

Anyway... I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

I knew Firefly made one appearance in the New Batman Adventures, in the episode where the kids recounted *their* versions of Batman, then got stuck in a movie theater while the real deal took on FF.

But I've never seen the episode with Hugo Strange. Thank the DVD-gods, I'll see it someday.

Also, Firefly is getting a toy in the *second wave*! We never even got a Firefly figure for the New Batman Adventures.

I guess I'm making the leap of logic that if those two, and guys like Clockmaster, are being thrown into the first episodes of the first season, they will have a much more prominent role in the overall storyline, if the show lasts. It's obvious the writers want to use the villians that weren't overplayed in the last series, to keep things fresh, and so they're not revamping *everyone* to make the show stand out from it's predeccessor. Notice how Firefly isn't much of a revamp?

But cool info, nonetheless. I hope I'll catch this show soon. But I work Saturdays, and I threw out my last VCR years ago.

He made 2 he was in the "Legend of the Dark Knight" episode you mentioned and he was also in an episode called "Torch Song".

As for the new cartoon I liked it for the most part. I loved the animation and feel of the show. The only real problem I had with the show was the dialog as I feel Bruce/Bats should have been more dark brooding character.

PJ

The only real problem I had with the show was the dialog as I feel Bruce/Bats should have been more dark brooding character.

Bear in mind, though, it's early in the game. He hasn't had quite so much tragedy in his life to harden him as the modern Bats we know. However, he was a LEETLE too easygoing of a guy, I'll grant you that. But at this stage, he can't be TOO dark. Not yet.

i agree but yet dissagree...the death of his parents in front of his own eyes would be if you asked me traumatic at its best...i dont think he has seen Gotham get as bad with the super criminals to be as hardened

The only real problem I had with the show was the dialog as I feel Bruce/Bats should have been more dark brooding character.

Bear in mind, though, it's early in the game. He hasn't had quite so much tragedy in his life to harden him as the modern Bats we know. However, he was a LEETLE too easygoing of a guy, I'll grant you that. But at this stage, he can't be TOO dark. Not yet.

No, I think he should still be darker as the tragedy of his parents murder would still be there. I personally felt he was too cheerful. Still I really liked the cartoon.

PJ

The Joker for some reason,reminds me of Beast from X-Men. As to Bruce,I don't like his voice that much. Bruce looks to be about his early 20's yet his voice makes him sound like a teen. The animation style reminds me too much of Jackie Chan,which I believe has been brought up already. I half expected Alfred to sound like Uncle from JCA. Is Jim Gordon suppose to be showing up? Yeah,I know he's not the commish but he should still be around. I'll give it a *** out of *****. (note,those are suppsoe to be stars.)

Hmm.

After seeing the second episode, I've got mixed feelings about the show.

While I wouldn't call it a "bad" show, I wouldn't call it the evolutionary next step in the Batman mythos, either. Indeed, it seems as though many of the changes were made...well, just to change things.

Even though this is the case, I think many of you will find the second episode to be better than the first. While this is somewhat of a new take on the Penguin, he still comes off as at-least Penguin-like (unlike the Joker, who seems more like the Gangster Prankster from the ill-fated Sci-Fi Channel "Black Scorpion" series...if you haven't seen it, consider yourself lucky).

I don't know. It seems too "updated" and "hip-hop" for my tastes. Again, though, the second episode is better than the first...but still not as great as can be expected.