"The Batman" Discussion Thread

JayC

I've seen the preview clips and I'm not really looking forward to seeing this show.  I don't like the idea of Joker looking like he walked out of an ICP cd and the fact that its called "the Batman" just doesn't sit well. 

I mean the clip I saw had Joker jumping up and down like he learned some fighting moves from Goku. And the whole Bane clip made him look out of place.  Not to mention the animation has a lot of Yu Gi Yoh, Jackie Chan Adventures vibe and I hate those shows. 

I'll catch it if I can but it won't be a priority for me.  I'd rather watch B:TAS on DVD over this.

I honestly think you will be impressed once you watch it. The Joker is really done pretty well. The only thing I think is of is Bruce Waynes nose seems a bit big.

Well my kid woke me up early so I decided to watch "The Batman" and I didn't care much for it. The whole Joker meets Goku fighting and the fact that he was jumping and clinging on to every little thing like a monkey is not the Joker I knew. Yeah he may look sadistic but I prefer Joker with goons and Harley Quinn. They could change his looks but when he starts pulling DragonBall Z move on Bats, I lost interest. Plus the dreads (yes he even admitted to Bats) still does not sit well with me.

Another thing I didn't like was how Bruce resembled Jackie Chan from the JC: Adventures. And the whole Bruce sitting at courtside with 2 busty babes is outta character. The action was too predictable and story and writing wise doesn't compare to TAS.

Its cool they want to renovate and rehype Bats for younger crowds and to hype the upcoming movie, but I won't be waking up early on Saturday to watch this. Sorry Batfans, I don't like the toys and I don't like this show either. I rather pop in the B:TAS dvds anyday over this.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disliked how they screwed with Joker and Batman's first encounter, almost every version has been pretty close to the original, but they just changed to much IMHO. It took away the personality of their relationship, and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I also dislike the lack of Gordon, and that Bats acts like such a noob three years into it, I could have accepted one year, but three seams like to much.

I liked the animation, the character designs (mostly) and the animation, I just have a problem with them screwing around with the mythos.

With that said, it's worth watching, I enjoyed it enough to Tivo it.

Ironically my 9 year old nephew hated it...and he loves Teen Titans and justice league...

I loved it, but seeing Booster Gold on JLU was better!

Seriously though, I liked it except they made Batman too...well...fun-loving. But then agian he's supposed to be young.

It felt real half-assed. I also think I have seen this before. Whoever made this show has a hard-on for Cowboy BeBop (the first person view fight with the Joker) and the Tim Burton movies. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just after Batman Animated the is just not nearly as good. I mean JL:Unlimited is kicking ass week in and week out, so this looks rather lame in comparison sadly. There are good things about it, just not enough for me to be hooked. I'll give it a few more episodes but after that, it's dead to me like Smallville if it doesn't improve. And why would B-Man poison the river with Joker's gas, uh hello ecosystem!

Keeping in mind that this is supposed to be for kids and all:

Jackie Chan would be proud that he has 2 cartoons that's for sure.

The Joker's voice....horrible. Bring back Mark Hamill.

The Jokers and Batman first encounter..sub par. For such a classic showdown, it was quite a let down.

The fight scenes...Batman jumps around wayyyy too much. And Joker's outfit, voice, fighting is just terrible.

The only cool thing was the batcave, the batwave (whatever that is) and some of the gadgets that Batman uses.

And yes...JLU is 100 times better.

I disliked how they screwed with Joker and Batman's first encounter, almost every version has been pretty close to the original, but they just changed to much IMHO. It took away the personality of their relationship, and that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don t think this was in fact their first meeting. Joker made some comment like you and I are linked, so I gather there is something more between these two than we know at this point.

I don t think this was in fact their first meeting. Joker made some comment like you and I are linked, so I gather there is something more between these two than we know at this point.

I disagree, B-Man flat out asked Joker "What are you?!?" so I think this "3rd yr." Batman is a little out of his league. (Bad JL pun)

why is there need for another Batman show? Why not try Green Lantern or another popular DC hero?

'cause Batman has a movie coming out next year ;) I hope the move is a whole lot better. <_>

I managed to set the vcr wrong; but, I think I read enough message board reviews to get the gist of it. I will try to catch next weeks to see for myself.

Wow..so many people not wanting to give it a chance. That saddens me. I think that this is a great re-inventing of the Batman mythos for a whole new generation. I feel people (myself included) have been spoiled by the legacy of the Bruce Timm style Batman Universe.

But, unlike some, I'm giving this show a chance. It's a pilot after all, so the episodes will get better as time rolls on.

Bring On The Batman!!! This series is gonna kick a** and take names.

Why do we hate it? pretty simple... Jeff Matsuda, old x-men artist who was a Joe Mad rip off took care of the design, and its like a bad imitation of Japanese anime... if you want to do a cool batman anime, TAKE A GOOD JAPANESE TEAM DANG IT !!! not some B rate designer who went to do cartoons because the guys is a hack.

I feel people (myself included) have been spoiled by the legacy of the Bruce Timm style Batman Universe.

Its not about being spoiled, but about these guys setting the bar high on terms of quality and animation. Things are supposed to get better, and obviously on the new batman show, that's not the case.

Take the JLU cartoon for example, a clear way to see that things can get much better.

I didn't get a chance to catch it, but I shall try next week. I'm also willing to give it a few episodes at least until I make up my mind about it. However, I think that to a younger audience, that aren't "spoiled" (as Thunder put it) by the old B:TAS and that don't really know Batman's storied history, well, I think that they'll really dig this reinventing, or re-envisioning, whatever you want to call it. We'll see though. Only time (and the ratings) will tell if this show succeeds.

As for the JLU, I'm not so sure it's all that great. I miss the hour long format and I'm not all that pleased with the characterization for the new Justice Leaguers either. However, I don't mean to completely knock it. It is a good show. I think that Justice League was better, though. However, it lacked what the JLU now gives us, and that's the entire DC universe. Tit for tat I guess.

Good points. My point is, that Batman has been re-invented for television and/or movies for each and every generation. In the 60's we had Batman on TV, Adam West's portrayal was campy and over the top, but it was fun. The 1970's saw the SuperFriends and an animated show that had Bat-Mite of all things. The late 80's/ early 90's saw Batman arrive on the big screen. The 1990's saw the emergence of Bruce Timm's Batman, a style and universe that has withstood the test of time, even today with JLU. Now, Batman is being re-invented for a new generation.

Each of these versions are unique unto themselves, but they all contribute to the Batman mythos. That doesn't make any of theseversions less valid. I believe that this new series will really hit its stride, especially when more villains and familiar faces are introduced later this season and into the 2nd.

From the beginning it was clear that this was going to be a different kind of Batman. It's unlike anything we've ever seen before. I don't get all the complaining. If you don't like it, don't watch it, but come off that elitist attitude. Some of us actually like it and like the new take. We understand that just because this cartoon is a little different that it doesn't ruin the Batman legacy. He's in 3 different toylines, countless comics, and two cartoons. They can't all be the same or that would be boring. I think alot of people just need to grow up and stop being such fanboys about everything.

I agree TommyGoth, this new series is awesome, I loved every second of it, and this Joker is the best version yet!!! When he landed in the water next to Batman, and didn't try to attack him or anything, that is exactly what I pictured the Joker's personality would have him do!! It's hard to explain, but I think this cartoon nailed what the Joker character is really all about. Instant Classic. I like this much better than BTAS. Best Batman cartoon ever.

Good stuff guys, and once again, Thunder, I agree. You made a really good point about each generation having their version of Batman. It's like the new versions of Transformers/GIJoe/etc. You just can't please everybody, especially all the fans, which is sad. But, from the clips I've seen of it, I'm really digging this new take on the Caped Crusader.

i'm hoping that the portrayal of other villains is closer to the mark. This version of the joker is so off the mark on every level that they should have just kept going and made him into "the creeper" or something.

I keep trying not to be a sour grapes fan-boy about this kind of thing, but the Bruce Timm DC animated universe is of such a high grade that not much will ever be able to live up to it.

hey guys what made the joka go crazy or mental or whatever?

so what are we calling this batman then? the yu-gi-oh dragon-ball style batman?

I still call it "Batman: Evolution"*

*Like I said, I still haven't seen it; this was my first impression after seeing the Bruce Wayne design, not intended as a 'put-down' ;)