G.i. Joe May Get It's Own Japanese Anime

Mekk Z

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, I love how these so called insiders are taking credit for news released in a general PR back 8/10.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/t...2.html&lp=ja_en

Hey an official press release is even better when trying to confirm it. Thanks.

Judging by that press release, it'll be a combo of cel animation and CG, like TF Energon is right now.

First I'll believe it when I see it. Second HELL NO! I don't want Jap I Joe. No offense to any Jap TNIers. I just don't like anime at all.

Draven

No offense to any Jap TNIers? The fact that you used the term "jap" already is an insult. Even if you didnt' mean it as an insult, you and anyone else who used this term should not have, as being Japanese, I find it insulting and VERY inappropriate.

Look, Jap being offensive is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard, it's a simple and obvious abbreviation, if you've been online for more then then a week, then you've seen hundreds of similer abbreviations, he didn't call you a gook, for God's sake, he called you a Jap, you're an over-sensitive moron for being offended by it, even if you took offense to it because it was widely used during WW2, half a dozen posts above, this, it was suggested that they should have used several more Nukes on Japan, so instead of throwing a hissy fit about what Draven said, maybe you should have replied to that, although, judging by your tantrum, I am sure you would of just made a fool of yourself.

It is considered offensive by Japanese because it's an insult WW2 US soldiers would use against the civilians int he US while hauling them off to US detainment centers for being Japanese.

Some of you are starting to get on the racially offensive side towards the Japanese over this. Please quit it. I didn't hear anyone gripe when Hasbro had it's CGI cartoons made in Canada, or was that OK because Canadians are not Japs?

This question is for Mekk Z, and really should have been asked sooner:

What has GONZO done that makes them so "qualified" in your opinion, to take on GIJOE?

Have they done something recognizable that can veiwed over here?

I'd like to see what they have done to assess their work on my own.

I'm curious, because I've done work ( Wing Commander Academy) that ended up at Japanese studios like Mad House, who handled the stuff with skill and aplomb and really lent something to it. If GONZO is something like Mad House, their take on GIJOE could be  kind of interesting.

GONZO has done a huge number of Anime series, most of which have become extremely popular in Japan and America. One of their best traits is their ability to combine CGI effects and cell shaded characters in an animated feature, but without it looking cheesy like Transformers: Energon or SD Gundam.

For a list of stuff they've done that I would recommend, all of which would end this arguement in a heartbeat, the top titles being:

Hellsing

Vandread

Full Metal Panic

Yukikaze

Blue Submarine No.6

SaiKano

All titles I highly recommend and most of which includes military themed stories and animation designs. Plus the scripts and storylines of these individual series, while a couple might be more slanted towards humor in some parts, blows most Western animated screenplays out of the water. GONZO is currently active in producing Japanese Anime series for other American comic/toy properties, including an Anime adaptation of "Witchblade". Get your hands on at least a couple of these series and then you'll see why I was jumping for joy when I heard Hasbro was doing this.

Some of you are starting to get on the racially offensive side towards the Japanese over this. Please quit it. I didn't hear anyone gripe when Hasbro had it's CGI cartoons made in Canada, or was that OK because Canadians are not Japs?

We're Americans! We do whatever we want! *Fires a gun randomly into the air*

@smilepunch@

How long has GONZO been around--the PR seems to say its been going since 2000--not a lot of time to have produced so much.

Just curious.

I didn't hear anyone gripe when Hasbro had it's CGI cartoons made in Canada, or was that OK because Canadians are not Japs?

Only Hasbro product CGI cartoon I know having been made in Canada was the second Action Man series by Mainframe Entertainment( who's now doing a lot of CGI Mattel projects: Barbie and Hot Wheels). Very few posters here have expressed any interest in that series--and certainly no gripes. Just so that you know, the two GIJOE CGI cartoons were done by ReelFX, which is based in the USA--I think in the southern states.

And yes, there's been some unwarranted comments made--its not needed.

thanks arrow for keeping us straight.

I prefered the max steel toon over the last action man.

here is an intersting thought, are they making this change becouse of us, or becouse they were unhappy with the vvv movie? i mean if they think it sucks y'know we are gonna be pissed lol.

thanks arrow for keeping us straight.

I prefered the max steel toon over the last action man.

here is an intersting thought, are they making this change becouse of us, or becouse they were unhappy with the vvv movie? i mean if they think it sucks y'know we are gonna be pissed lol.

This is what I'm wondering about too.

I have to think that the response to the CGI stuff has only been humdrum, and mayhaps the thinking is that anime is so much more popular and in tune with the kids, so the shift to anime is a attempt to get more interest in GIJOE.

Could be a smart move regardless.

Only Hasbro product CGI cartoon I know having been made in Canada was the second Action Man series by Mainframe Entertainment( who's now doing a lot of CGI Mattel projects: Barbie and Hot Wheels). Very few posters here have expressed any interest in that series--and certainly no gripes. Just so that you know, the two GIJOE CGI cartoons were done by ReelFX, which is based in the USA--I think in the southern states.

You forgot the Mainframe TF BW/BM series.

Beast Wars and Beast Machines was absolutely the most obvious (and best) choice for CGI animation. Traditional pen and ink animation is nice, but nothing makes a robot quite as nice as that 3-D style!

I love CGI animation - I think it looks great, and is an innovative art style. I will always give something that's done by computers a chance - and I own several CGI films and series, such as Roughnecks: Starship Troopers and War Planets.

I would prefer CGI over traditional animation in almost all scenarios, but I am hesitant in regards to G.I. Joe. With the world as it is nowadays, I'm afraid of some wise-ass animator sneaking in some upside-down American flags or other insulting references in the background...

BUT THAT'S JUST ME, PEOPLE.

Tom

Did the last Joe CGI movie even have the American flag in it? I don't remember.

As far as CGI goes, relax. According to the press release Jay C posted, it'll be a blend of CGI and cel animation.

I think they had one on the tank they rode around in, but it was really just a red, white and blue banner.

Because you know, it's offensive to be proud of stuff nowadays. @lol@

Tom

Do not assume that because it is being done by an Anime company that the show will have an "anime style" to it. Almost all cartoons are animated overseas in Korea and Japan. I agree that "Anime G.I. Joe" would be a travesty, but I would think that since this will be taylor made ofr US Audiences that it will have an American Style. Don't overreact until we see some pictures. Personally, I could go for something like Batman The Animated Series, which is kind of anime-like, yet also very American looking. We'll just have to wait and see.

Did the last Joe CGI movie even have the American flag in it? I don't remember.

As far as CGI goes, relax. According to the press release Jay C posted, it'll be a blend of CGI and cel animation.

I think they had one on the tank they rode around in, but it was really just a red, white and blue banner.

Because you know, it's offensive to be proud of stuff nowadays. @lol@

Tom

really...

all they had was a spytroops flag, bah!

Did you guys know riot cops got in trouble for wearing american flag bandanas under their helmets (for comfort) when supressing a liberal riot?

i 'm too lazy to go look up an article lol

anyways... I wouldn't like batman style either, i prefer more realistic for joe, and i fear cgi's style may be the best we were gonna get. Even the toys are looking more cartoony now.

I will not make a judgement until I see some images first, I am glad HASBRO is still pursuing animation with GI JOE. I am wondering however why they are not continuing with reelFX, perhaps they are trying to being the cartoon back during the weekends?

How long has GONZO been around--the PR seems to say its been going since 2000--not a lot of time to have produced so much.

Just curious.

Well that's another advantage Japanese Anime studios and basically cel-shaded 2D animation has over CGI. Unlike Reel FX, it doesn't take a YEAR for them to make an 80 minute long CGI flick. While some of you might be thinking, "Well they mix cel and CGI animation so maybe it would take them as long", the amount of CGI they do use in most of their Anime series, even the shorter 12 episode series, usually runs over 80 mins.

Most of the Anime sites where I read this news are stating the contract is for an OAV, which stands for Original Animated Video(For those not in the know.). That would mean a single production and not a series. Though a series of OAVs are always a possibility.

Just curious.

Well that's another advantage Japanese Anime studios and basically cel-shaded 2D animation has over CGI. Unlike Reel FX, it doesn't take a YEAR for them to make an 80 minute long CGI flick. While some of you might be thinking, "Well they mix cel and CGI animation so maybe it would take them as long", the amount of CGI they do use in most of their Anime series, even the shorter 12 episode series, usually runs over 80 mins.

Huh?????

It doesn't take them a year??

Come again??

I dunno exactly what processes Japanese studios use, but I do know that a animated feature of around 60-90 minutes long DOES indeed take about a year ( or MORE)to produce, pre-prod, animate, and post-prod. I doubt these guys can turn out good product in less time than that.

I'm working on a 90 minute feature right now and we've storyboarded the whole thing in 3 months, half the time it usually takes. The release date for the project is next year so its about 14 months total production time--that for a purely CGI product.

GONZO will very likely be using DIP and traditional hand-drawing scanned into something like USAnimation, then having the CGI elements inserted.

Otherwise its likely something with Maya, creating a awful effect like the faux 2D Mainframe "MTV" Spiderman series.

Either way, its gonna take some time.

So much for a real AMERICAN hero.  last thing i want is some bad dubbing and LJ laughing in that hideous laugh that all anime chicks have.

How many anime have you actually SEEN? They dont ALL laugh like that. You cant make sweeping generalizations

Sure there are common conventions like large eyes and speed lines, but by no means are such things universal. Watch your average Bugs Bunny or Hanna Barbara cartoon and tell me there ARENT common elements used as well (Eye-pops, Jaw-drops, walking on air untill looking down) Anime is no more guilty of characteristic eccentricities than animation from ANY country.

The characters can STILL be Americans even if a Japanese company is making it. A small number of them feature American characters and/or an American setting.

- Gunsmith Cats (American characters in Chicago)

- Miami Guns (Set in Miami Florida)

- City Humter (Prominent supporting characters from America)

- Big O (Distinctly American named Hero)

- Kaleido Star (Set in America with American supporting castmembers)

- Ai Yori Aoshi (Features strong American supporting cast member)

So the notion that a cartoon made in Japan cant be about American characters is not only wrong, but outright ##$%$#ED.

Anime is every bit just as valid a form of animation as CGI or anything done in America. Give me genuinely character driven comedy like Azumanga Daioh over badly drawn pap like Spongebob or Dai Guard over Ed, Edd and Eddie, who cant even get TONGUE COLOR right.

If anime is so bad it wouldnt have a worldwide following thats growing everyday. It offers a wide variety of genres to almost any taste imaginable and is a multi-million dollar industry.

And Gonzo is hands down one of the GREATEST animation studios on Earth, Theyve given us true gems of animated fiction like "Last Exile" "Van Dread" is what Star Trek: Voyager SHOULD have been. Chilling Gothic Horror like "Hellsing". "Blue Submarine" was featured on Toonami a year or two ago and blew most CN fare out of the water with its trailblazing mix of CGI, cel animation and story depth about what it means to be human.

If you think a good straightforward action series cannot be had in anime then check out Samurai Champloo, from the makers of Cowboy Bebop, which was also a damn good show

If for the Eater of Every Jockstrap wasnt talking out of his ass as ususl and Gonzo IS making the show then I guar-an-damn-well-tee you its gonna blow ANY previous Joe cartoon out of the water. And after veiwing "Spy Troops: The hour of TV programming minus commercials that we're calling a movie for poops and giggles" and seeing such animated gold such as Joes turning into whales and children and Junkyard parachuting from days gone by, Ill happily take my chances with an animation company from a country that DOESNT view animation

primarily as a vehicle to sell toys

Id have to agree with everything that doc says. GIJoe would be great being turned into an anime.

Huh?????

It doesn't take them a year??

Come again??

I dunno exactly what processes Japanese studios use, but I do know that a animated feature of around 60-90 minutes long DOES indeed take about a year ( or MORE)to produce, pre-prod, animate, and post-prod. I doubt these guys can turn out good product in less time than that.

I'm working on a 90 minute feature right now and we've storyboarded the whole thing in 3 months, half the time it usually takes. The release date for the project is next year so its about 14 months total production time--that for a purely CGI product.

GONZO will very likely be using DIP and traditional hand-drawing scanned into something like USAnimation, then having the CGI elements inserted.

Otherwise its likely something with Maya, creating a awful effect like the faux 2D Mainframe "MTV" Spiderman series.

Either way, its gonna take some time.

Yeah but their not going to use all CGI so the time it will take to turn out one of these OAV's won't take a year like Spytroops or VvV, meaning getting new installments of G.I. Joe animation will become more freqeunt then ONCE a year. And I don't know whether or not it's because they have a bigger studio, budget, or simply a more demanding market but GONZO has put out around 20 or so Anime titles, many with gargantuam amounts of CGI since 1999 to now, so I'm not sure what it is their doing that your studio's not, but you may want to look into it.

Let me ask you a question. If the studio you were working for right that is doing the CGI project, only used CGI on say scenes involving vehicluar battles, large outside landscapes, and maybe a couple other things and then used traditional cel shaded drawings on character centered scenes would that cut down the time needed for production even if it meant an increase slightly in budget?

I know what you mean by the low quality of MTV's Spider-Man series, but you should still wait until you actually SEE one of GONZO's series before you start making that distinction. I really think you'll be surprised.

MekkZ--

I don't think you understand....

Even with a large crew, a 60-90 minute feature is STILL going to take about a year to 14 months to complete.

The process of scripting, pre-prod design, storyboarding, layout, voice-track, animation, DIP, post-prod sound and editing..........its not something that can be rushed without compromising the quality of the product.

Animated projects have almost a natural life-span in terms of their production.

Cramming the schedule into a smaller time frame means things like directorinal, oversight gets compromised. There's no time to pencil-test the animation, the sheet-timing becomes pure guess-work--there's no "tweak-time"--and I doubt you can understand what I just wrote.

GONZO might be hotstuff, but unless they are the elite of the elite ( which I doubt) its very doubtful they'd take a foreign project, devote their utmost energy to it and do this with a minimal budget.

Truth be told, I'd bet my entire toy collection this project is being done for a LOW budget--because advertising bucks are so costly these days--throwing out a anime product is smart marketing, but throwing out huge bucks to get anime product isn't. Nobody plays the game that way and there's sound reasons why.

Me thinks you are give this GONZO studio far more credit that it deserves-- I doubt they'll be the Second Coming of GIJOE with their OVA.

If indeed the schedule is ramped up to within a year--say 9 months--then this project isn't going to be something to really salivate over.

Sorry, but I've been in the animation biz for almost 20 years, I know the processes very well......it takes time to make this stuff well. Cartoons longer than 22 minute "half hours" made in six months or less usually look like shite. 60 to 90 minute features take a year at least to crank out.

Yea, I'm raining on the parade again. I haven't seen anything in Anime in the past decade that says to me that GONZO, or any other studio can deliver a product that is "better" than CGI, or traditional Western animation. More adult , yes, more detailed..to a degree, yes..........but better? That's left to taste.

Anime is a stylized gimmick trend that currently has the fancy of youthful audiences here in North America. From that standpoint an anime GIJOE cartoons is move savvy move, but IMO, that's all it is.

If you are frothing at the prospect of something more sophisticated--I'd say keep dreaming. Hasbro's trend with GIJOE is pretty clear to track--its a tame kid-oriented military fantasy--making it edgier or more adult isn't gonna happen.

In the end though , if it attracts more kids (thus buyers) to GIJOE product and means more GIJOE toys coming for us all, then its a good thing.

But the new cartoon being something that'll knock our collective socks off???

I say nyet.