Why We Shouldn't Care About The Fate Of Tru

Crimson Twins

Save TRU?????

Huh???

Um, me thinks there's some people that don't understand a clever business move when they see it. TRU is in NO danger of going out of business. None. Zippo. Nada.

You are reading far more into this than there really is.

TRU is trying some different strategies to get out of some debts that's saddled them. If they pull it off, they will be very well placed to compete with the likes of Walmart on the same playing ground. Even if they don't "pull it off" they'll still be around for a long, long time to come.

TRU don't need no saving. Just sit back and watch them restructure and come back a roarin'.....

Me hopeth you are right ARROW. God damn, man. That's the second time you get an affirmative outta me. This is scary.

I don't have any Walmarts or Targets near me, so TRUs are my only source for Joes. If TRU folds and that, in turn, ends the RAH reissues [as well as my Joe collecting], then they can charge $15 bucks for JvC 2-packs for all I care. If Walmart starts charging more for Joes [i know I would if I was them], it'll be funny as hell when the complaints flood the boards from all the people who said TRU's prices are too expensive, that they did it to themselves and that they get all the new stuff first... blah.. blah.. blah... funny as hell, I tell ya's.

Besides, who would handle all the big city business?

Toys, on the other hand require little of that. 99% of the time, hwat you see on the catalogue or ad is the finished and true product. You do not need to feel it or measure it.

Are you kidding? Hasbro's half-assed paintjobs would make online shopping for their Joe products a disastrous experience.

Without TRU the toy market as a whole will greatly suffer. Why do you think Walmart can/will sell joes at $5. Because they are choosing to take a LOSS on that item. They may not make as much/any on some products but because they have and continue to control other market areas (remember toys are not the only items in their stores unlike TRU/ KB) and make up the difference of profit loss in those areas. Look back at just last Christmas and some of the extreamly low prices they offered on toys, electronics, and small appliances. Why do that? Because when you come in there for that item you are more likely to pick up another item that has a huge markup on it. Any speciality store like TRU does not have other areas of high mark up to make up losses. And don't kid your self Wallyworld would NEVER carry the multipack items for $20 period. If they would what happened to the Walmart multipack form last year? Why do you think that towns fight Walmart coming into town the way they do? Because they will take anybody out that is not willing to bow down to their might, which they control with the dollar.

Don't get me wrong I buy from TRU, KB, Target, and Walmart and looking at the prices there is rarely more than a $1 to $2 dollar difference on smaller items. By the time you drive all over town to 3 or 4 walmarts or pay shipping charges when ordering online you have spent that difference more than once.

Long live TRU and the exclusives!

MATT

well.. if TRU closes or stops selling Joes.. I will probably never buy a new Joe toy again..

oh wait.. Target sells the comic packs.. so I guess I would.. and the occasional KB exclusive.

I have to say, I think that TRU IS a needed place, as they do seem to care about "collectors" but they really need to start doing more discounting of dead items. If after X-mas, Walmart has stuff peg warming, they clearance it right away, and so much that it is like giving it away. I understand they probably get it cheaper than TRU, but TRU needs to budge a bit. I cant believe there are still TRU stores with "Battlefield Earth" in the building. how long ago was that movie released? I bet there will still be "van Helsing" toys on the clearance aisle in 2 years at TRU. Walmart: they are already marked down to $3, just in time for the DVD release, so they can get rid of them. Smart marketing.

Also, Dont worry about KB going under: 1. One of the big wigs used to work for Hasbro, so they are gonna do some great things, I think.

2. I plan to buy enought of the Crimson sabotage sets to keep them in business for a while!!!!!!!!!(I am exagerating, of course, but i want at least 10 of those babys!)

Me hopeth you are right ARROW. God damn, man. That's the second time you get an affirmative outta me. This is scary.

If you want to see what TRU is very likely going to do, look only so far as what Marvel did a few years back by declaring Chapter 11. Was the smartest business move that company ever did in its history and now its back in better shape than it was before.

TRU is likely going to do much the same and in much the same way.

TRU holds too large a chunk of a niche market, and Walmart, despite its agenda, cannot field sufficient floor space in its stores to compete with the scope of product TRU offers. And with the rumoured cooperations between Hasbro/Mattel?others and TRU to counteract the Walmart discounts demands, they may be able to beat Walmart at their own game.

Time will tell.

OK, I love how this is going. Now, for my straight opinion. I don't want TRU to close AT ALL. I love my local TRU. And I like knowing that WM has some real competition in something. Would the Joe line suffer if TRU went under? Yes, it would greatly. Do I think TRU is doomed, and will end up going under within my lifetime? No, not likely. I was there for a grand opening of one in Orlando when I was three years old. It still stands today some 23 years later. I will continue to buy my RAH style Joes there. I will buy the exclusives there, too. But, When I see VvV for almost $8, I'll take my happy butt to Wal-Mart. I like TRU, but I don't feel I have to support it by wasting my money. I work too hard for my dough. So, I see now that just about everyone out there loves their TRU, and would die to save it, and that Wal-Mart is the work of the Devil. But hey, I'm going to be a happy Joe collector one way or the other.

F*ck walmart. All they have is the same old Sh*t and i can say that about all of them from here to Roanoake VA because i have checked them all in between, same ol joes same ol layout same ol sh*t. Tru carrys more than just old joes they also happen to carry BBI and Ultimate soldier toys, if they close the doors where o where will we get our blackhawks and little birds? I happen to like other military toys to go along with joes.

and besides we already lost one toy store, if tru goes thats just another business out of the way for the corporate conglomerates. ( did i mention i hated those. im quite sure i did )

Also for kids at heart like myself i used to dream of bringin my kid into the same store i used to go to as a kid, hell i used to go just to relax and surround myself with the fondest memories of my youth, KB,& Roses then Radio shack at christmas then on to santa.

now its go to walmart see the same sh*t you see all year. and go home. joy joy.

yeesh.

OK, I love how this is going. Now, for my straight opinion. I don't want TRU to close AT ALL. I love my local TRU. And I like knowing that WM has some real competition in something. Would the Joe line suffer if TRU went under? Yes, it would greatly. Do I think TRU is doomed, and will end up going under within my lifetime? No, not likely. I was there for a grand opening of one in Orlando when I was three years old. It still stands today some 23 years later. I will continue to buy my RAH style Joes there. I will buy the exclusives there, too. But, When I see VvV for almost $8, I'll take my happy butt to Wal-Mart. I like TRU, but I don't feel I have to support it by wasting my money. I work too hard for my dough. So, I see now that just about everyone out there loves their TRU, and would die to save it, and that Wal-Mart is the work of the Devil. But hey, I'm going to be a happy Joe collector one way or the other.

I totally agree with you Crimson Twins...

However to add...all you guys act like WM is so evil....Like TRU wasn't back with they first opened up...All the small toy store got eaten up, even major department stores like Sears, Mervyn's, Woolworth, JC Penny and so on....I know most of us were young...but were are the tears for them...TRU slammed them with their huge selections, and lower prices...just like WM is doing to them.....Now it 20+ years later and now a TRU is faced with a bigger monster....lets see what happens...

Personally I like TRU, but I just wished they had better stock and cheaper prices like they used to...

SO, everyone is up in arms saying we gotta save TRU, and don't buy your joes at Wal-Mart, and all that other stuff. Well, hate me if you want, but I think we should just let TRU die. Really, you think if TRU was gone, Hasbro would just stop making the figures that are 'TRU exclusives?' NO, they'd just sell them at Wal-Mart. AND, except when TRU has a sale, their prices are higher than the norm. I'll gladly buy Joes for $5 at Wal-Mart instead of 2-3 bucks more at TRU. Then, there's the people that say if TRU goes down, Wal-Mart won't have competition in the toy market and they could charge whatever they wanted. That's just ridiculous on a couple accounts. One, they don't have any competition in the toy market right now. That's why TRU is doing so badly anyway. Two, if you charge an outrageous amount for a product, people will not buy it. I don't care how 'exclusive' it is. So, in closing, if TRU dies, I will not be there to mourn it. I will be at Wal-Mart on that day buying up more $5 Joes. @firedevil@

I really do like TRU, I'm just playing the role of Devil's advocate in this by stating the other side. But really, I wouldn't be too hurt if TRU died.

Sorry dude, but your statement only helps to show your ignorance to economics. When competition disappears almost always prices go up. Wal-mart currently sells their toys at discounted prices to get parents into their stores where they hope they will buy other items when they are getting toys for their kids.

So really be careful what you wish for.

I agree with what all of you are saying, but I would like to see toys r us stay opened because it is the nearest toy store to my house. Target is next but it is still pretty far.

I have to be the dissenter here, while I like TRU, they NEED to SERIOUSLY get a grip!!! WHen I walk into tru and see ROW upon ROW of wave 1 transformers and joes being restocked over and over again, I cant help but be frustrated.

Then with a set that was DESTINED to be popular (the cobra 6 pack) it ONLY shipped tp actual TRUs, Geoffries; which is ALL that is in san antonio, didnt get them so I was forced to pay more on ebay.

I have no loyalty to tru, it is simply a cold faceless corpartion, just like walmart, not the warm fuzzy mom and pop candy store you guys make it out to be.

To put it simply, as a collector I want what I want NOW, not 4 or 5 months from now and I get it from whomever has it. While I wouldnt mind paying a couple bucks more IF they got things in a timely manner, I simply AM NOT going to wait for them to get stock and pay more for it if I can get it right now from walmart or target.

If TRU is so in touch with collectors WHY are they still restocking wave 1.5 alternators?

WHY is the only joe item I can consistently find are wave 1 crap?

WHY are most of their stores turning into GEOFFRIES and eleminating up to 70% of their toy space for OVERPRICED tru brand baby and kid clothes and accessories which could NEVER compete with walmart/target?

WHAT the hell is that useless "activity/party" center? does anybody EVER have their childs party there? I sure dont think so, because I NEVER see anyone

WHY did I NEVER see reissue optimus or rodimus major? The only reason I have prime is because my gf lucked into one the exact second they were opening a case.

I dont get you guys love for tru, while I dont wish them to go outta business I dont feel any sympathy for them either. When they start clearancing some stuff I will maybe think they care about collectors

Heres a clue TRU: YOU ARE A TOY STORE!! GET SOME NEW FIGS!!! walmart and targets stocking is spotty at best, they wouldnt be able to compete with consistent restocks

TRU does have alot of older stock not moving BUT a main reason for that is WalMart undercuts TRU's prices. It's a double edge sword for TRU. If they don't get rid of old stock, through clearance, new stock doesn't make it to the shelves. TV toys (which is what we are interested in) have a small margin of profit, if they take heavy clearance on these they will lose lots of money.

This is what happened last Christmas time when Walmart undercut ALL retailers by sometimes half. It caused product to not move and in turn those other retailers didn't reorder product. We are still feeling the effects with spotty to no distribution of new merchandise.

I'm not saying WalMart is evil. But given the choice I would PREFER to shop at TRU. Actually, I prefer to shop with the nice sponsors that make this and other toy sites possible.

And just to be fair, if I remember correctly a few years a go TRU was in trouble for trying to price fix new product. I believe they also tried to get the major toy companies to purposefully deliver hot/new product them first before their main competition at the time, KB Toys and FAO Schwarts. We know where those two companies are at now.

Just food for thought.

It all comes down to business. Whatever happens, there will still be GI Joe, and we will continue to buy them. We might be saying 'I remember when two packs were only such n such", but that's the business goes. I'll shop anywhere that has what I want when I want it, and at the lowest price. I have no LOYALTY to any store. If they fail, it's not my fault. My measly dollar here or there isn't going to save anyone. So, I'm looking out for my interest. Sue me. I think I should be able to buy what I want anywhere without having someone try to make me feel guilty for not supporting the 'other guys.' Screw em. Let them win me over with good deals, and I'll be there. Not because of a sob story. 'Boo Hoo, Wal-Mart's kicking our butt. You should buy from us to help us out. Fight the man.' i'm sick of it. Bottom line for me: Best price gets my dollar.

TRU does have alot of older stock not moving BUT a main reason for that is WalMart undercuts TRU's prices.  It's a double edge sword for TRU.  If they don't get rid of old stock, through clearance, new stock doesn't make it to the shelves.  TV toys (which is what we are interested in) have a small margin of profit, if they take heavy clearance on these they will lose lots of money.

I say they just have to clearance the old and non-exclusive [to a degree] stuff. Depending on the mark-up, if you've made your profit already, and the stuff is just sitting there in a warehouse or idlely in a store, then that is not only a waste of space, but a waste of money as well. Because in an given store of any business, if you have a section dedicated to product that is not moving, then it is a waste of money. Floor/display space is valuable.

When something is hot, sell it like crazy. When it starts to die down, sell it off gradually at lower and lower prices. That way, your not the one without a chair when the music stops. I don't know how this can work for big business like TRU, but for small business, it's a better way to go.

Whoever gets them in first gets my Joe dollars. Which is usually on on-line retailer. They don't have to wait for them to go through multiple warehouses and then wait for a certain week of the year to reset the aisle. And have them sit on a pallett for a few nights before they eventually get opened.

TRU does have alot of older stock not moving BUT a main reason for that is WalMart undercuts TRU's prices.  It's a double edge sword for TRU.  If they don't get rid of old stock, through clearance, new stock doesn't make it to the shelves.  TV toys (which is what we are interested in) have a small margin of profit, if they take heavy clearance on these they will lose lots of money.

I say they just have to clearance the old and non-exclusive [to a degree] stuff. Depending on the mark-up, if you've made your profit already, and the stuff is just sitting there in a warehouse or idlely in a store, then that is not only a waste of space, but a waste of money as well. Because in an given store of any business, if you have a section dedicated to product that is not moving, then it is a waste of money. Floor/display space is valuable.

When something is hot, sell it like crazy. When it starts to die down, sell it off gradually at lower and lower prices. That way, your not the one without a chair when the music stops. I don't know how this can work for big business like TRU, but for small business, it's a better way to go.

I noticed Target seems especially good at this. They don't waste a lot of time before they clearance out their toy stuff. That little value pack with the Night Force Recondo was down to $4 only after about a month. And when the holidays were over they marked down all of the 12" SE SS two packs with the DVD. How could I resist at $5 a piece. I had to buy two. (And return them to Wal-Mart at $20 a piece) TRU seems to be trying to clear their stock out now by clearancing the Wave 1 VvV stuff along with some of their exclusives. But on a whole, it seems to take them forever to clearance anything out.

#US1#