Would It Still Be Fun To Collect Joes If ...

Crimson Twins

If you had no limit on the amount of money you could spend? I thought it would be cool to get one of my friends out here involved in Joe. Well, he's one of those guys that tries to spend enough money to get you to like him. Well, he's gone out and bought almost $300 worth of figures in the last week. He has no spending limit because he has no family. I got a wife and three kids back home, so I'm lucky to have any money to spend on Joes. Especially over here. But, when I can get something, it means a lot to me. That got me to thinking, if I could just buy everything, would it be fun anymore? There would be no thrill of finding a good deal. Or saving up to get that coveted piece you've wanted for so long, and then finally bringing it home. I just think he's trying to go overboard so that he'll get the attention that I was getting for having Joe stuff out here. It bothers me. Mostly because I know when we get back, he'll probably yard sale them all, or throw them up on eBay.

#US1#

Hard to say. I've never HAD that possibility and I don't really for see it BEING possible before the Joe line ends.

Not being a completists makes a difference too. In fact, now that I have acquired a Terror Drome (cost me $150), there are only a few RAH figures and vehicles I'm still looking for (such as Rip Cord and Nitro Viper). Some auctions can pretty high and even if I had the money, I doubt *I* would go that high. I started bidding on a MOC Night Force Falcon/Sneak Peek set for $1 which ended up selling for $110!

All that is left is the new stuff that hasn't come out yet, but it tends to be spread out enough to not have to worry TOO much about having the money to get it.

Now, I just have to figure out how I'm going to pay for that Terror Drome...

I would never want that much, as it stands now i don't want any in the past, and i don't want to army build much any more, and i've only been getting 3-4 packs a wave as of late (vvv) so who knows, i'll always collect joe, but i do it very sparingly or just in comic/toon form.

Not being a completists makes a difference too. In fact, now that I have acquired a Terror Drome (cost me $150), there are only a few RAH figures and vehicles I'm still looking for (such as Rip Cord and Nitro Viper).

That's the way I am. I also don't collect every last one and only collect the ones I like, and there aren't many left for me. Maybe $200 worth of vintage figures and another $200 worth of vintage vehicles, and I'm done.

Its a good question, but my philosophy has always been to buy figures I really really like. Unlimited money wouldnt change that, a huge collection say of every figure ever made for me is not an objective nor an ideal, why? because many if not most figures are not desirable. So all you end up with is a huge collection of crap. I beleive its much better to have a smaller collection that represents your own unique taste.

hmmm...that's a very intresting question.. @hmmm@

i'm not by far rich but i do okay, and with no kids or wife i probably have a bigger budget of what i can spend on toys then the average adult here. i admit i probably don't enjoy (but still love) my toys as much as i use to do when i was a kid because i buy whole entire waves at once and i don't really "savor" every figure individualy like when i was a kid. you know how it was, you get that one or two figures a month and you study every detail until you know that figure up and down. i don't really do that anymore, i buy figures, give them a good look over, mess around with them, and then put them away and go months without looking at them again.

My dream is when i get old and retire i'm going to finaly sit down and play with all my toys i've ignored all over the years :D

See, im kinda a completist-to a certain extent. My range is 82-90, and im trying to get every figure in that line-like 40 more to go. Night Force/ Sky Patrol and all that stuff is so expensive i was wondering whether or not to collect them, (also case space) but today i picked up a night force shockwave at a flea market for 50 cents. @smile@ looks like I'll have to make that space. To answer the question- even if i had unlimited money, i would still feel guilty spending that amount of money on toys- like i do now if i buy expensive stuff. Its much more fun to wait for that awesome buy. I got my two terror dromes at flea markets for 25 a piece(ones complete).

-saboteur

I've just recently considered stopping collecting anything non-vintage and just concentrating on the old stuff; like cobrasaboteur, I'd like to have a complete collection of stuff from '82 to '90 or '91. And I would no means have to have every single thing made, just what I think is the best and my absolute favorites. And I'm not going back on the new stuff really. It's just that lately I'm not finding myself enjoying the newer stuff as much, and that to me ultimately it's just a reminder of what Joe USED to be and what I enjoyed about the old stuff. I don't know. It's been a few months since I've flip-flopped on my loyalties, so I guess this sentiment is probably past due... (lol)

But if money was no object, I'd buy every vintage figure and vehicle MOC/MISB that I could find that I wanted, and be very, very happy. Yeah, the hunts fun, but re-building my old collection, and actually taking care of it this time around and enoying the fact that I have it again is the goal. So yes, it would be even more fun for me.

Yeah, this guy will probably just eBay all this stuff when he gets back. He's basically buying it all up to get attention. Like "look at me, I just bought more than you. And that was only one store. Wait till I really start shopping." My other friends hate this guy. I was, and still am, the Joe guy around here. They know he's pretty much biting on me for the attention, and I can tell when he gets to talking about it. I don't know how people can collect stuff without a true love for it. I mean, even scalpers have a reason to buy stuff. They want to raise the prices, and make their profit. This guy will probably flea market or eBay this stuff out, and make back about 25% of what he spent. It would be nice for me to buy a 84 Storm Shadow MOC, but hey I can't drop that kind of loop. He's buying one, and the idiot wants to open it!!! It's just frustrating, and this is turning into a rant. Sorry.

Yeah, this guy will probably just eBay all this stuff when he gets back. He's basically buying it all up to get attention. Like "look at me, I just bought more than you. And that was only one store. Wait till I really start shopping." My other friends hate this guy. I was, and still am, the Joe guy around here. They know he's pretty much biting on me for the attention, and I can tell when he gets to talking about it. I don't know how people can collect stuff without a true love for it. I mean, even scalpers have a reason to buy stuff. They want to raise the prices, and make their profit. This guy will probably flea market or eBay this stuff out, and make back about 25% of what he spent. It would be nice for me to buy a 84 Storm Shadow MOC, but hey I can't drop that kind of loop. He's buying one, and the idiot wants to open it!!! It's just frustrating, and this is turning into a rant. Sorry.

Man, I hate people like that. Buying stuff just to be cool or whatever. I had a couple of friends in high school that had a kind of unspoken buying war, and it was really pathetic.

The one kid was loaded. His parents owned a Chinese restaurant, he worked--he had money. My other friend--he got some inheritance money from a dead uncle or something like that. He went out and spent it all. Like a couple of grand. What was it on? Freakin' RC cars. As far as I know, RC cars really don't have any sort of lasting value besides just racing them and tuning them up, and these things were so ridiculously fast, the two dummies could hardly control them. But these two dumb asses just kept dumping money into these stupid little racing cars. Lame.

One thing I guess you can look forward to though is the day when this guy realizes he never really wanted this Joe stuff in the first place. And when the great epipahny comes, you'll be there to make him a nice lowball offer for the whole lot. And he'll probably sell it, just to be rid of his guilt.

You know, I think the real question is--once you have unlimited spending to buy all the stuff you want--where are you going to put it?

And would you really get to enjoy it? There's plenty of people out there who simply buy stuff, cram it in a box, and move on to the next item up for hunt. They never enjoy the thing beyond the opening of the package. It's kind of sad.

I think the pace Hasbro puts this stuff out has a lot to do with it. As Chazz said, you don't really have time to enjoy each figure because you're so busy looking for the next one. Lately, I've been trying to devote some time each day to just going to my toys and enjoying them any way I can be that by organizing them, posing them, or actually...playing with them. It's been working out pretty well.

So no, I wouldn't want all the money in the world to buy this stuff. It would only enable me to drive around from store to store even more, and take time away from the stuff I already have.

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes in the process of building your collection, you lose sight of the things you already have. Sometimes, i go on buying sprees, and will just Continuously purchase items that i may or may not need, and i always have to slow myself down to appreciate the collection that i've worked so hard to develop. Its good to take a rest from the buying once and a while in my opinion. At least 'til you find more space, that is. @firedevil@

-saboteur