Roller-sentient?

Destro

In one ep of the g1 cartoon, prime "talks" to roller (roller speaks like a minicon, but there was some kind of communication there), and later on in the same episode, in a cave-in, iirc, roller is trapped and prime is very concerned about his/its safety.

So my question is, do you think roller is a sentient being? Also, is there anything else in the toon or comic to confirm or deny this?

Maybe, going on his speech patterns, he's an ancestor of minicons...it'd be an interesting tie-in.

Roller talks by playing back sampled R2D2-sounds ;0)

According to his bio in the Marvel-comics, Prime is a trinity: his conciousness is present in the cab, trailer and Roller at the same time.

In the cartoon (MTMTE parts 2 and 3), Roller appears to be sentient. Those episodes contain lots of stuff that was contradicted in later episodes though:

- Grapple being called Hauler;

- the Decepticons suddenly having an army of seekers on Earth instead of just three;

- Autobots being able to fly in robot-mode;

- Transformers needing air to survive (see Hounds diving-mask);

- Autobots making horrible car/driving-related puns in every other sentence

Roller was only in MTME 2 and 3 as far as I remember, so you could say that Roller is concious in the cartoon (as nothing proving the opposite was ever shown).

Cheers,

HN.

I was thinking that the other day - I've started diplaying the little guys u get with bases in my collection, rather than leaving them tucked away - and I couldn't decide if roller was worthy enough to leave the trailor (itself, tucked away behind metroplex lol)

Roller came off as a above-average drone, but you have to remember one thing - these are robots.

To them, a drone is what a dog would be to us. Obedient, simple creatures that you keep around for whatever reason. Roller was Prime's useful pet, or something... like a greyhound.

Tom

Roller talks by playing back sampled R2D2-sounds ;0)

According to his bio in the Marvel-comics, Prime is a trinity: his conciousness is present in the cab, trailer and Roller at the same time.

In the cartoon (MTMTE parts 2 and 3), Roller appears to be sentient. Those episodes contain lots of stuff that was contradicted in later episodes though:

- the Decepticons suddenly having an army of seekers on Earth instead of just three;

Roller was only in MTME 2 and 3 as far as I remember, so you could say that Roller is concious in the cartoon (as nothing proving the opposite was ever shown).

Cheers,

HN.

I'm pretty sure that Hauler was not meant to be Grapple. Grapple didn't come around until season 2, so I'm fairly certain Hauler was just a drone or something, maybe even a piece of equiptment.

Grapple and Hauler are two seperate characters. There are distinct differences in their apearances in modes.

They could have contacted cybertron and had troops come by, They might have had other drones/generic guys still left in the ark that awoke later on, maybe they built the "strike force" later on... who knows...

Autobots CAN fly... just not to the extremes/heights that Decepticons can acomplish...

What makes you think he needs to breathe? Remember, they are in and unkown world, They might have never even come by water before, maybe he was taking proper precautions in an unkown territory?

Hows that contradicted? Theres been dozens of crappy corny jokes made in that 80s show...

They could have contacted cybertron and had troops come by, They might have had other drones/generic guys still left in the ark that awoke later on, maybe they built the "strike force" later on... who knows...

As the spacebridge wasn't invented until later in the series, it's unlikely the other seekers 'just came over'.

The other seekers were only seen in MTME, not again after that (bar some animation errors, but those don't count). So did they just dissapear? Were they the first TF's to be killed off?

Grapple and Hauler are two seperate characters. There are distinct differences in their apearances in modes.

We only saw Hauler in crane-mode, and only the front at that. He looked identical to Grapple. In the cartoon, Hauler is yellow, not green as the toy would be 20 years later on. The Hauler-character wasn't an official TF until e-hobby released him as an exclusive in 2003.

Even though Grapple didn't appear 'again' until season 2, the toy was out for years as a Diaclone and i'm pretty sure Hasbro was already planning the next wave of toys by then. Your explanation of him being a 'tool' or a drone is possible. But then why name him?

Autobots CAN fly... just not to the extremes/heights that Decepticons can acomplish...

Are you sure Autobots can fly? I know Powerglide and the Airealbots can, but they didn't appear until later on either. The Autobots didn't fly again until season 3 i think. Prime even needed a jetpack to fly.

Hows [making car-jokes] contradicted? Theres been dozens of crappy corny jokes made in that 80s show...

True, but not to the extend as in MTME! I mean, it's horrible lol. Especially Prime. He wouldn't have been taking as seriously as he is now if the jokes had been in every episide after MTME.

What makes you think he needs to breathe? Remember, they are in and unkown world, They might have never even come by water before, maybe he was taking proper precautions in an unkown territory?

That sounds plausible. I'll give you that one :P

Cheers,

HN.

As the spacebridge wasn't invented until later in the series, it's unlikely the other seekers 'just came over'.

The other seekers were only seen in MTME, not again after that (bar some animation errors, but those don't count). So did they just dissapear? Were they the first TF's to be killed off?

We only saw Hauler in crane-mode, and only the front at that. He looked identical to Grapple. In the cartoon, Hauler is yellow, not green as the toy would be 20 years later on. The Hauler-character wasn't an official TF until e-hobby released him as an exclusive in 2003.

Even though Grapple didn't appear 'again' until season 2, the toy was out for years as a Diaclone and i'm pretty sure Hasbro was already planning the next wave of toys by then. Your explanation of him being a 'tool' or a drone is possible. But then why name him?

Are you sure Autobots can fly? I know Powerglide and the Airealbots can, but they didn't appear until later on either. The Autobots didn't fly again until season 3 i think. Prime even needed a jetpack to fly.

Hows [making car-jokes] contradicted? Theres been dozens of crappy corny jokes made in that 80s show...

True, but not to the extend as in MTME! I mean, it's horrible lol. Especially Prime. He wouldn't have been taking as seriously as he is now if the jokes had been in every episide after MTME.

That sounds plausible. I'll give you that one :P

Cheers,

HN.

Who knows, maybe the decepticons built the new drones from parts on the ark... maybe they programmed the ark to "explore itself for parts"? I don't know, nobody does, but who cares, they're just friggen drones, nobody cares about them! @smilepunch@

I need sleep so I'm not going to look for pics now, but if you compare vehicle modes of hauler from MTMTE and grpple from...crap WTF was? It was the episode with the plane jackers... whatever the vehiclemodes are from what we see of hauler, different. Hauler apears in robot mode as well in two time slots-MTMTE in the ark/saving hound, the movie I beleive firing at decepticons. His robot mode is diferent and so are their truck/crane modes... and the ehobby exclusive... yeah it's different, but the color isn't the only thing, so is the vehicle/bot appearance...

Like I said! autobots can fly to a cerain extent. compare the heights from the first battle when they were at the oil rig, and the final one when they were in the Con shuttle leaving the atmosphere to go to cybertron. Which is higher? even when SS and IH when flying they weren't as high as the part where the cons find the sowaway mirage. God I'm tired...

still.. I mean car jokes are jokes.. there still plenty of jokes unrelated to cars... cars were just one kind... or soemthing.. TIRED!

GOD I AM FREAKING TIRED! @loll@ lol good night...AWW CRAP ITS MORNING!