G.i. Joe Ahead Of It's Time?

Crimson Twins

i got to looking at a bunch of the joe figures on yojoe.com today, and got to thinking. for a line that's hit the 20 year mark, the figures really don't look dated. if the line had been released today, i think it would still be considered modern warfare type stuff. i'm not talking so much about the original 13. but about everything from 85-86 on up works pretty well even for today. i know JvC has been trying to update the looks of a lot of figures, but most of the new versions look like they tried too hard. like the Viper for instance. the original looks great. even for today. the new one looks like they're trying hard to make it look futuristic.

that was just my opinion. anyone else think the same, or otherwise?

#US1#

The line was originaly designed to look like how the US Military might look 20 years in the future.

Really now!! I never heard that before... I also never got the impression that GI Joes were ever originally marketed as being "Soldiers of the Future." Still, that's very cool. And yes, as we all know... they still rule. @bounce@

hey dont forget the Battleforce 2000 vehicles came out in 87. the US military should be having BF2000 type vehicles now since we're a few yrs into the 2000s

yeah you have a good point- and heck we might have some of those vehicles and we just have not scene them. Government conspiracy. @lol@

yeah you have a good point- and heck we might have some of those vehicles and we just have not scene them. Government conspiracy. @lol@

Osama: Oh my very very good god! They're turning into a fortress now! >_<

Tom

yeah you have a good point- and heck we might have some of those vehicles and we just have not scene them.  Government conspiracy. @lol@

Osama: Oh my very very good god! They're turning into a fortress now! >_<

Tom

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@

Good one!!!!

I Don't know where that "20 years into the future" thing came from. Are you sure about that, DA? G.I. Joe was ALWAYS marketed as "Modern military action figures"

Tom

I'm sure I read that somewhere yes. I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think I read this in the little GI Joe book I won from the 1985 sticker contest (the one where you had to spell the word "GI JOE"). I think at least a version of this book was also available at retail at some point too. The book had the first 2 Marvel comic episodes, the filecards of most figures from 1982-1985, an article on how the toys are designed (included preliminary drawings of Zartan, the Rattler, and I believe the Water Moccasin), and an interview with Larry Hama, amoung other things.