The Playing With Toys Topic

MegaForce

Maybe it's a bit taboo with 'collectors' but I find it an interesting topic. How did you play with your toys?

From many people I hear they reenacted TV episodes and storylines with their figures, like acting out TF the Movie with their TFs. I never did things like this, a reason being I never had more than 5 or so toys from popular lines and mine were typically not the star characters.

What did I do? In order of which I remember doing the most (and I have a good memory of these things):

1. Building. I had a lot of Lego and Construx and would build many vehicles, fortresses, et cetera. It was always a good time consuming challenge to make do with the pieces I had. I particulalrly treasured Lego hinge-pieces for making robot mechs.

2. BIG WARS. Here I'd use the terrain of my house to set up massive battles involving all toys and scales, drafted from the toybox to different sides. These would involve everything from Joes to G.U.T.S. to Battle Beasts to MOTU to platsic army men to MUSCLE to Robotech (I had an Excalibur and I remember making that bad-ass mech a particular force on the battlefield). One battle I recall had it's only survivor be a plastic grey horse from a farm animal toy set.

Related to the "big wars" but much more formal were the dioramas I'd set up for my Mega Force, such as in a big tray with sand and stones for desert warfare or the neat detailed battlefield I made from a green-felt on hard board table covering type thing and trimmed fake plastic plants for trees, along with a a painted blue river.

3. Fighting Tournaments. Based upon either boxing-type or prowrestling type rules with KO counts and 123 pins, I'd clash figures in structured tournaments until there was a champion. I'd even lay out the figures in pairings to remeber how I had the battles set up. Either these would be a mixed-line class that would involve TMNT, MOTU, WWF, and other similar size figures (and the ruggedness of their construction and high-personality looks of their appearance suited them well for wrestling-type fighting) or, I'd have tournaments with smaller-scale toys that I had a lot of . Battle Beasts, and huge 64-man MUSCLE tourneys.

Sometimes when i see my box of MUSCLE I'll fight 'em a little. And everytime I buy a new Mega Force piece I have to line up the armies on my floor.

I have to choose the number 3 . I did it with all the figures I have, and this included, bootlegs, G.I Joe scales, 5" scale and so on. Even a Barbie was in my little Royal Rumble, LOL @loll@

JOhnny

I don't play with my toys anymore. But, when I did it was huge battles, wrestling, baseball and football. I would also re-enact scenes from movies or make up my own stories.

Now I take them out of the package, marvel over them, and place them on the shelf next to their brothers and sisters.

When I had my Joes,I use to play football with them. At least this way,Captain Grid-Iron finally had a use. (just make sure the Joes or Cobras don't fumble his 'footballs'.)

I used to make my Joes Wrestle. I would keep stats on them too.

1. I used to make my own episodes of my favorite shows.

2. I rarely had big wars, but I did make up my own characters with certain figures and didn't care of the scale.

3. When I went over my cousin's house, we'd have our different action figures have tournaments on his WWF playset. We rarely actually used any of his wrestling toys and I've never been a wrestling fan so I didn't have any. We'd have The Hulk face He-Man and stuff like that.

Today, most of my toy playing involves taking pictures and making stories with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to make huge battles and storylines for my figures. I didn't like to mix collections , I liked to play with figures in the same scale so I never mixed toylines.

As a matter of fact there was only one that I mixed ,it was TMNT with Toxic Crusaiders but that was because they were in the same scale and look like the same line. #US1#

But I did make my own stories, that was really cool. I even gave powers to some figures in the case of MOTU, that were never seen in the toon.

Oh boy... those were the days!! ##1#

i remember if i was acting out like a car crash type thing with my cobra jeeps etc i'd almost view it from different angles as if i was a camera and repeat the crash. sounds weird dont it but cool as a kid.

As for the reinacting films, episodes etc i did that sometimes especially with star wars. i normally stuck with my favorite figures and made up things with them. i dont play with figures now. just display them. even displaying them has taken a back seat. :( too busy with other things.

As a matter of fact there was only one that I mixed ,it was TMNT with Toxic Crusaiders but that was because they were in the same scale and look like the same line. #US1#

You're so right about that! My friend had about the entire line of Toxic Crusaders and for sure I played with those in the same "wrestling league" as our TMNT.

And I'm surprised I didn't get the idea to play football with my action figures like some of you, since I was a HUGE football fan as a kid, and still am.

I'd use them to roleplay with my buddies. We'd make up our own stories and everything.

Now I like to display them. They stand on my dresser and act out fight scenes or other things. Thing is, I have so many that they won't all FIT on my dresser, so usually it's some kind of theme so that I don't use all of them. The last one was Spidey et al and the X-Men vs. the Brotherhood of Mutants and the baddies of New Yawk. Funny thing is, there were about as many Spidey villains as X-Men, and about as many X-Villains as Spidey and co. (Punisher, Daredevil, Elektra, Ben Reilly, etc.). Something's DEFINITELY wrong there.

i remember if i was acting out like a car crash type thing with my cobra jeeps etc i'd almost view it from different angles as if i was a camera and repeat the crash. sounds weird dont it but cool as a kid.

As for the reinacting films, episodes etc i did that sometimes especially with star wars. i normally stuck with my favorite figures and made up things with them. i dont play with figures now. just display them. even displaying them has taken a back seat. :( too busy with other things.

Crap. I did the same thing you did with Hot Wheels and Matchbox vehicles. Except I would most often use The Road Warrior film as my starting point. But with action figures, I'd do invasion type attacks with a showdown using one of my more popular figures.

Edited by Darthmaul33

I had mainly Marvel toys as a kid. Also Ninja Turtles.

Basically all I did when I played was create my own storylines. I would continue the same storyline each time I played, and new situations would come up, however I would always acknowledge past storylines, incidents, encounters, etc. Most of my new storylines came in when I bought a new figure. I had to introduce a new character to my Marvel world, or TMNT world. It was almost like I was creating a TV show I guess. So much fun though.

I tried to play with my toys about a year, ago and it ended when I had them start talking to each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Crap. I did the same thing you did with Hot Wheels and Matchbox vehicles. Except I would most often use The Road Warrior film as my starting point. But with action figures, I'd do invasion type attacks with a showdown using one of my more popular figures.

Great minds think alike!!! :)

I always wanted bigger armies of stormtroopers or cobra soldiers. It's weird how normally one man is able to defeat the massive armies. But as a kid its great, miss them days! Sometimes id make the evil side win. The evil side always looked cooler or had beter weapons/crafts. No matter what toyline.

Everyone should play with their toys! Thats what they are for otherwise give em to someone who will.

i had tmnt, star wars and a bunch of random other figures. wasnt really into the whole collecting aspect back then, except for star wars. i remember only buying cobra, instead of gi joe. the good guys were just too boring for me. i mostly made giant forts out of lincon logs, so that in the end everything will just blow up and crash.

now i just do what Horde Trooper does and keep a bunch of figures around my comp. pose them and stuff.

I think I've done all 3 you listed too :) I still play with mine! Nothing to be ashamed of! THey are so enjoyable! Forget about the packages!

• 4 weeks later...

All i do is keep them boxed away, display very very few and sell them on ebay. I'm thinking of getting rid of the lot. Everything. I can't bring myself to do it yet though.