Under Rated Vs. Over Rated

Crimson Twins

We all know there's about roughly ... oh ... a billion Joes characters out there. I just wanted to see where you thought some of them would fall in the categories of over and under rated. This could be figures, comics, or even the cartoon. mine are:

OVER RATED:

Snake Eyes, Duke, Mercer, Storm Shadow, Chuckles, Firefly (sorry TOM), SGT Slaughter, Hawk

I'll post more as I think of them.

UNDER RATED:

Copperhead, Covergirl, Low Light, Destro (long debate I won't go into here), Cesspool, Big Boa, Wild Weasel

Again, I'll post more as they come to me

#US1#

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I like Mercer, but, while I agree that he is overrated, I also think that he is under-used. People either treat him as a god or a nobody. I think we just need to find some middle ground there.

Other than that, my other favorites include Shipwreck (whom I would say is pretty adequate in his rating), Falcon (underrated) and Taurus (totally underrated and ignored).

Those are the favorites that come to mind immediately, but I also miss guys like Muskrat, Freefall, Gnawgahyde, Recoil, and even Sky Patrol. I don't think they ever got the coverage that they deserve.

Overrated: Baroness, Crimson Twins, Flint, Firefly, Dusty, Zartan, and Duke (Don't get me wrong, I love each of these characters. I just think they are overused and done to death as toys.)

Underrated: Mercer, Outback, Repeater, the '91(?) Cobra Commander- the one with the red mask, Spirit, Major Bludd, Wet-Suit, Hard-Ball, Battleforce 2000, and Lt. Falcon.

Interrogator never had a chance to really be AWESOME. He would have been, but it just wasn't meant to be. He's my favorite under-rated character.

Cesspool would be next. I definitely think Cobra would be involved in bio-chem weapons research (If thinly veiled as 'eco-terror') and Cesspool was their man. A shame that purple 'damage' shows up more often than not on him @lol@

Here comes a scary one ... Crystal Ball. I always liked him, and found him no more eccentric than Dr. Mindbender or Darklon. To me, he was an advisor, and a strategist.

Vipers. Vipers seem to be so inefficient when it comes to repelling the Joes, let alone defeating them totally. None of them ever show a bit of tactical skill or street smarts, and end up getting blasted most of the time. I'm sure they'd be a bit more effective in real life.

Well, there IS Skymate... @haha@

As for over-rated, I think I'd go with Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes (the entire Arashikage storyline, really) General Hawk and the Crimson Guard. They're not all that elite, really.

Tom

Overappreciated and overproduced-Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes, Mercer (again....people treat him like a god. He's crap), BATS, Viper v1 (I love em though), Zaranna, Zanya, Billy (blech), Claymore, Hit N Run

Underappreciated-Airtight, Barbecue (fanboys love him but don't about him....make him already Hasbro!) Techno Vipers, Night Vipers (the 2 coolest Vipers BTW), Fast Draw, Flash, Copperhead, Zandar

Hit N Run? When has ever been used, let alone overappreciated? I mean, with the exception of a few dio-stories, I'm guessing, I don't think he's ever gotten press. I totally have to disagree with that one.

I've always been a big fan of Sgt. Slaughter, but for sometime now it's been cool to think that he sucks.

I think Snake Eyes and Scarlett are way overrated. I do like them, but damn can we get someone in a romance with Cover Girl? Possibly Shipwreck.

UNDERATED:NIGHTCREEPERS VR1,SPEARHEAD, PATHFINDER, RAMPART

RECONDO VR1, MUSKRAT, CROCMASTER, A.V.A.C.,BULLHORN (ONE OF MY FAVS), IS FOOTLOOSE DEAD?, PSYCHE-OUT VR1, LOVE HIM TOO, REPEATER

CRIMSON GUARD IMMORTAL VR1, DESERT SCORPION (A REAL FAV THERE)

WHERE'S SHOCKWAVE, T.A.R.G.A.T.S., HIT&RUN (ANOTHER FAV),ANNIHILATORS, CROSSHAIR, BURNOUT, TORPEDO,LOW-LIGHT,RED STAR, BIG BEN, STALKER IS REALLY UNDERATED, SHOULDN'T HE HAVE DUKES PLACE OR SOMETHING, ROCK&ROLL, OUTBACK VR1, LEATHERNECK VR1,SALVO (ANOTHER FAV), DODGER, AMBUSH, HEAVY DUTY, GRUNT, FAST DRAW, STRETCHER, LAW&ORDER, LIGHTFOOT, RECOIL, RED DOG, RIP CORD, TRACKER, HYDRO VIPERS, UNDERTOW, LAMPREYS, W.O.R.M.S., RANGE VIPERS, FRAG VIPERS,

HEAT VIPERS, FAST BLAST VIPERS, NIGHT VIPERS, STRATO VIPERS AND VAPORS, I'D LIKE TO SEE MORE OF THAT GHOST BEAR, AT LEAST WITHOUT THE ORANGE, HARDBALL, AND SUREFIRE

AND THE OVERATED ARE ALREADY GETTING ENUFF PRESS.

As for over-rated, I think I'd go with Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes (the entire Arashikage storyline, really) General Hawk and the Crimson Guard. They're not all that elite, really.

defiantely! i love SE and SS but i think we know WAAAAY too much about there background then we should.

under rated:

night creeper leader...he's the leader of his own ninja clan but you never hear anything about him. his figure kicks azz besides the bright orange. if he had a darker paint scheme i'd probably like him as much as i do storm shadow.

recondo...i so much hated that he came back to JVC as an 18 yearold kid. i always thought of recondo as a man with almost two decades of experiance in the jungle not the punk kid JVC made him look like.

taurus and red dog yep...the other two renegades. red dog was just as hardcore as mercer, don't know why he never came back.

taurus was pretty cool as well, i'd love to see a renegade reunion. #US1#

You know who else never got any attention that I felt really deserved it?

HEADMAN.

That's right. You heard me. I said Headman.

He's like Serpentor. You mention his name, and people either love him or cringe at the thought of his existence.

But I love him SO much. In my world, he's one of the most important villians. Drug pushers are devious, evil people, and this 1930s mobster pimp certainly fits the bill.

If Cobra was real, they would appreciate people like Headman. Anyone who could disrupt the flow of society - the Dreadnoks, for example - were of use to Cobra. They can't go out and spark up their own revolutionary riots, but with Dreadnoks and Headman wearing down the country with violence and poison... it all serves their purpose.

Tom

I like Headman too. Give him the grenade launcher that came with Range Viper and you have a new school Tommy gun. It's pretty sweet to have him hanging off the back of a HISS making 20's style gangster comments toward the Joes and blasting grenades at the grille on a VAMP.

Yup.

However, I love the gold machine gun he comes with. It reminds me of alot of these contemporary 'gangsters' who feel the flashier or expensive their weapon is, the better it performs.

Also, giving him General Hawk v.2 rifle works too, as it's sort of tommy gun lookin'.

Tom

I never had the first version of Headman so I never got the gold gun, but it does look cool. I like the yellow suite from the 2002 version. As a matter of fact I think he came with the gun I was talking about so I didn't give him the one from Range Viper.

I never had the first version of Headman so I never got the gold gun, but it does look cool. I like the yellow suite from the 2002 version. As a matter of fact I think he came with the gun I was talking about so I didn't give him the one from Range Viper.

Still, I certainly agree with you.

Even in orange, Headman rules. it's like "That's right. It's orange suit, bitch. I like it like that!" and then the Headhunters ans Stormtroopers flock around him, and everyone doesn't say anything to him about his fashion sense.

Tom

great topic and all i have to say is that SHIPWRECK is the greatest gi joe of all time.......

ninjas' overtated

airtight and spirit are underated i think.............

We all know there's about roughly ... oh ... a billion Joes characters out there. I just wanted to see where you thought some of them would fall in the categories of over and under rated. This could be figures, comics, or even the cartoon. mine are:

OVER RATED:

Snake Eyes, Duke, Mercer, Storm Shadow, Chuckles, Firefly (sorry TOM), SGT Slaughter, Hawk

I'll post more as I think of them.

UNDER RATED:

Copperhead, Covergirl, Low Light, Destro (long debate I won't go into here), Cesspool, Big Boa, Wild Weasel

Again, I'll post more as they come to me

#US1#

Chuckles was overrated? Must be from the comic right? He was never used in the cartoon and he never even got any LINES in the movie.

In my Joe-Verse, Headman had a pivotal role in Cobra's return a few years ago. He ran drug cartells to get money and gave it to Extensive to invest After awhile they had the money to go "public" again.

Yeah, i think Chuckles is over rated. especially in the movie. true he had no lines, but the guy THREW a missle at a hiss, and started a helicopter with his bare hands. not to mention, he hung on to said helicopter while it was flying, and still managed somehow to fire his weapon. Then, when the helicopter crashed (with Chuckles still hanging on OUTSIDE of it), he walks away without a scratch. that was just the movie.

Nearly every dio story i read nowadays has him in there somehow. he's the guy going under deep cover as a crimson guard or viper. he's the guy that tries to get close to Cobra Commander to find out what his next evil plot was. i understand he was the token 'undercover guy.' but come on! i see him as more of the guy that would work the streets under cover trying to hear if Cobra was preparing for something big, or trying to recruit new soldiers for an up coming battle. if it's so easy to get someone in to Cobra headquarters just by putting on a CG outfit, then why doesn't the whole Joe team do that, and obliterate the Cobras once and for all?

When Overlord (another one of my favs) "killed" Chuckles, a small grin crossed my face. I'm sure he'll be back soon because of all the fan boys that like him. I'll just have to wait till they kill him again.

Road Pig all the way dude! He was HUGE. I never really pictured him as a Dreadnok. He was more of an enforcer. I had found some helmet from another toyline that fit over his head perfectly. He looked like something out of Road Warrior. I wouldn't mind using him as sort of the Champion Fighter in Cobra Commander's arena of 'sport.'