Question, How Come Everyone Hates Rob Liefeld?

HachiGO

• 2 weeks later...

the reason I personally don't like Quietly is because of his rendering of the human anatomy namely faces is ...wierd? there's just something about the way he draws faces that I don't like.

• 4 weeks later...

You know something, at one time Liefield (1993) made more money than all of us on this board combined. Yeah his art isn't the greatest, but whos is. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it wasn't for Liefield we wouldn't have Cable. I don't think he owns the copy write to Cable, but I think he gets royalities. And royalities are big ask George Lucas.

You know something, at one time Liefield (1993) made more money than all of us on this board combined. Yeah his art isn't the greatest, but whos is. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it wasn't for Liefield we wouldn't have Cable. I don't think he owns the copy write to Cable, but I think he gets royalities. And royalities are big ask George Lucas.

Well, if money was the only measure of talent the guy would be bigger than da Vinci ever was--but, thankfully, there are other yardsticks for talent.

Lefield, IMO, comes up a few feet short on a lot of them.

Royalties CAN be big, but they can also be piddling as well.

If Lefield created Cable as part of a work-for-hire deal, he would likely not see a dime in royalties from his creation--it depends soley on the contract that was negotiated at the time.

Can't draw feet and covers half the body with capes...

I used to have this site showing all the images that Liefeld copied over the years... Cable was based off of Roadblock from GI Joe...

That's interesting. Didn't know he copied off other characters.

I was more of a fan of Jim Lee and McFarlane; but, I liked some of Liefelds's work. I always had a problem with his ankles and wrists which were always way too thin, imo. I also didn't care for his redesign of Captain America in "Heroes Reborn".

I agree with Bespin refugee, I didn't care for his Avengers stuff either. I heard he was dubbed as the "Dennis Rodman of Comics".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is that a real pic that he drew??? It's not photoshopped at all??? If not, then that is the worst pic I have ever seen, but I really don't think he did that. At least not that exagerated of a pic. I know he can't draw feet and his poses all look the same, but he is a bit better than that aint he???

Liefield does own the rights to Deadpool, Cable, and X-Force, somehow he was able to make that call back then. His book was hot, and it was going to sell, so somehow he was able to retain control of those chracters. Which is why he fought Marvel over them. And which is why they created those other books to replace Deadpool, Cable, and X-Force. They had to change them.

And agreed, now that Liefield is back in some form they were able to use them again!!!

I have heard that he is a royal prick, and full of himself. I mean who wouldn't be, how old was he when he signed on with Marvel and had his own comic???? I still remember his Levi's 501 commercial!!!! He was the sh!t, and he knew it. He was able to write pretty much his own ticket at Marvel!!!

I am NOT a Liefield fan at all, but most people (especially in the 90's) LOVED his art. I'm not kidding. In those few issues of X-Force he actually drew, the letters pages are full of people pining over his art #WTF# ! I think people buy his product b/c his characters are unique. X-Force was the shizz in the day b/c of characters like Deadpool, Cable, and Domino. At that time, you really didn't see alot of gun toting mutants, so there was a market for him. I just hope he leaves again and Fabian takes over all his writing duties.... with Mark Brooks drawing of course.

I am NOT a Liefield fan at all, but most people (especially in the 90's) LOVED his art. I'm not kidding. In those few issues of X-Force he actually drew, the letters pages are full of people pining over his art #WTF# ! I think people buy his product b/c his characters are unique. X-Force was the shizz in the day b/c of characters like Deadpool, Cable, and Domino. At that time, you really didn't see alot of gun toting mutants, so there was a market for him. I just hope he leaves again and Fabian takes over all his writing duties.... with Mark Brooks drawing of course.

yeah i remember people liking his work. i'm just curious if those same people are thrwing rocks at him today.

I know I'm just going to get cusssed at, but I'm a Liefeld Supporter. Always have been, always will be. Sure not all of his stuff is great, but no ones is. If I like him and you hate him that's fine. Now to answer som eof the questions I've seen raised as best I can.

The reason I see that He still gets as much work and hype is that almost everyone knows who he is. Have a wel known name in an industry can get things done. Whether you love him or hate him you'll read an article about him.

He doesn't own the rights to anything at Marvel, but if Deadpool, Cable or X-force (and I believe any of the characters that were created there in ie Domino, Shatterstar. etc) have a book he does get royalties if the book sells in excess of a certain numbers (believed to be in the 60k plus region since when the deal was struck everything sold 100k even crap books). So Rob's getting work based on merit.

And I'll end with this, if Rob is such a hack then why do so many poeple want to work with him? Jeph Loeb and Mark Millar love the guy and they're two of the biggest names in comics.