Question, How Come Everyone Hates Rob Liefeld?

HachiGO

I think alot of the backlash in general was against reloaded and how it seems like a step back for most X books

He's a poor artist, who makes excuses for his failings of talent and doesn't make any effort to correct them.

He talks big, walks little in the direction he talks and generally comes across as an idiot.

Example: when pinned on the matter of his ever taking life-drawing he danced around it for a very long time before admitting he never took life-drawing more than a couple of classes/sessions ( life-drawing or studying of the human form through drawing takes months to yars to become competent at it--a "couple of classes" would never cut it) and revealed what many already guessed: he learned to draw from comics.

Why is this is a problem boils down to his "learning" anatomy from another artist's interpretation of anatomy, rather than from the actual source: live models. This means his work features all the in-bred mistakes and flaws that a interpretation can have--like a copy of a copy.

A genuinely talented artist knows enough to go to the source subject to learn properly.

He's prone to bone-headed remarks, the most famous being "storytelling is dead". Without storytelling technique, you don't have a story...........all you have is dissassociated images with no connection from one ot the next. The mark of an ingrate that is.

That he can and has sold comics should impress me, but it doesn't, because anyone who actually likes his stuff doesn't demonstrate much taste anyway.

I'd have more respect for the guy and what passes for his talent if he imporoved it.

I was more of a fan of Jim Lee and McFarlane; but, I liked some of Liefelds's work. I always had a problem with his ankles and wrists which were always way too thin, imo. I also didn't care for his redesign of Captain America in "Heroes Reborn".

Well, if everyone hates Liefeld, than why is he still working in the industry, and why do his books sell? Someone post some pics of his "shoddy" work, because I kinda feel I'm only hearing one side of this story. Someone thought he was a good enough artist to have him draw some major characters. And I thought art was a natural talent, either you have it or you don't. I bet a lot of artists became great artists without taking years of life anatomy classes.

I'm just bored with his work.

I read the first issue of the new X-Force book and I swear I have seen every single picture before in one of the other books.

At least once in every book he has a girl on one knee in front of a guy. In X-Force #1 it was Domino and Cable. I've seen that same picture a dozen times before, they were just wearing something different evertime.

He seems to have about 50 drawings that he just reuses over and over and over.

Why does everyone have something on an eye? Scares, patches, tattos or paint.

Everyone has some kind of pouch on them.

Other than that he is OK.

Someone post some pics of his "shoddy" work, because I kinda feel I'm only hearing one side of this story.

You rang?

liefeld_cap.gif

Ugghh, that's horrible. The case has been rested, why is this guy still working on comics? I wouldn't even let him look through the dollar bin at a comic book shop!!

he still works in marvel cuz he owns the rights to cable and deadpool so marvel cant produce them as they are without his permission. thus his drawing the covers to the book. i think his art sucks and hes piss poor at keeping his characters looking the same. cable esspecially. one issue he looks like hes supposed to. scars on left and glowing on right (from our prospective) next issue its switches to scars on right and glowing left, and then scars and glowing on the same eye, usually within 3 issues of each other!!! c'mon what the hell!!! for proof read cable 70-75. and now his new x-force book doesnt even have the famous scar its just one line down his face.

he still works in marvel cuz he owns the rights to cable and deadpool so marvel cant produce them as they are without his permission. thus his drawing the covers to the book. i think his art sucks and hes piss poor at keeping his characters looking the same. cable esspecially. one issue he looks like hes supposed to. scars on left and glowing on right (from our prospective) next issue its switches to scars on right and glowing left, and then scars and glowing on the same eye, usually within 3 issues of each other!!! c'mon what the hell!!! for proof read cable 70-75. and now his new x-force book doesnt even have the famous scar its just one line down his face.

I have my doubts that Liefeld owns anything of Cable or Deadpool. He created those characters while working at Marvel. Marvel doesn't do creator-owned material within its core universe. I think you'll find that he either created those characters under a standard Marvel "Work for Hire" contract that included no ownership, or that Marvel bought the characters from him the moment they decided to give the okay to use them in New Mutants/X-Force. Either way, Marvel owns the characters.

Well, if everyone hates Liefeld, than why is he still working in the industry, and why do his books sell? Someone post some pics of his "shoddy" work, because I kinda feel I'm only hearing one side of this story. Someone thought he was a good enough artist to have him draw some major characters. And I thought art was a natural talent, either you have it or you don't. I bet a lot of artists became great artists without taking years of life anatomy classes.

Art isn't a natural talent, its a practised one.

Years of study (self-study, or scholar work), tons of sweat and dedication can make one competent in art. It takes a lot of time to be skilled at drawing the human form well and accurately, and then being able to exaggerate it for comics.

I sweat this stuff and I've been drawing for about 37 years now, the past 20+ years at a professional level and earning $$ at it--its not easy.

Liefeld is a hack artist, pure and simple. he talks big but really, when it comes down to it his art fails a lot of technical disciplines and standards.

The proof is in his very work.

Yes, he's sold comics ( a credit to him, but a damning indictment of the folks that buy and LIKE his stuff--they have no taste) and he was allowed to do so because he got in during one of the booms in the biz, when talent was literally being pulled in off the street and handles a pencil.

His failings come in many forms, the most notable being his handling of the human figure.

I see his mistakes in the work of my students all the time and the solution for them is the same as for him--to draw from the genuine article--rather than from comics.

He parrots other artists anatomy mistakes, rather than studying the true forms on his own--the image in this thread of Captain America is very telling.

If the drawing had been done right, Cap would not possess a bust-line that'd put Dolly Parton to shame, and he'd have a collar bone, deltoids and other anatomy to boot. Yea, Leifeld's sold comics, but he cannot draw woth beans--I'd give him more credit if he ever showed signs of actually working at his craft.

If the drawing had been done right, Cap would not possess a bust-line that'd put Dolly Parton to shame, and he'd have a collar bone, deltoids and other anatomy to boot.

@loll@ That's the first thing I noticed. If I saw this Cap on the rack, I would pass by it so fast, I'd look like The Flash.

Liefeld is okay as an artist in my book. He's not the greatest, but I've seen worse. He is kind of a jerk though so I hear.

Anyway, he actually does have some rights to Cable and the X-Force characters. That's what spurred on the change a few years back to "Agent X," "Soldier-X," and "X-Statix" (From Deadpool, Cable, and X-Force respectively). I don't know all the details, but getting Liefeld back is what enabled Marvel to use these names again.

okay we know why everyone hates liefeld now lets get onto who hates frank quietly????

Frank Quietly's art style I dig quite a bit. He's good with the hyper-detail/realism thing and that appeals to me. His habit of dropping the ball on deadlines irritates me though. Indeed, his inability to keep up with the New X-Men schedule almost ruined that title for me (I wasn't digging any of the fill-in artists, except for Ethan Van Sciver). He's just not made for monthly work, it would seem - even when he does get a head start.

But keep him on limited series, original graphic novels and other formats where the complete product is finished before release, and I'll quite happily pay to see his work.

Frank Quietly is waaaay better an artist in my book.

In fact, the artist I dig right now are:

George Perez

Frank Quietly

Jock (draws The Losers)

Darwyn Cook

Evan Van Sciver

Scott Kolins

Brian Hitch

some Jim Lee stuff

Tom Grummett (sp?)

John Cassaday

Don Figueroa

Ed Rizzo (from 100 Bullets, I think that's his name)

and

Tom Raney