Is There Any Way To Fix

Pimp Masta Dee

My friend copied a CD for me recently but he wrote something on it in pen and it scratched through. I'm so mad because now it skips like crazy! Is there any way to fix a scratched CD? I know there's probably no way to fix it at all, but I figured I'd ask. If anyone knows any way to at least make it play better, let me know. Thanks.

Sometimes you can take a yellow highlighter marker and very lightly go over the scratch and once it dries, sometimes it will keep it from skipping.

Why would anyone write on a CD with a pen? :(

Exactly what I said. I asked him why he didn't use a marker and he said, "I couldn't find it." @grumpy@

Ouch. There are cd repaird kits, but if it's a gouge (which yours sounds like it is!) there's no chance for it to play normal again. Sorry!

I didn't think there was a way to repair it, just figured I'd ask.

Sometimes you can take a yellow highlighter marker and very lightly go over the scratch and once it dries, sometimes it will keep it from skipping.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it out. I mean, the CD is messed up anyway, so I don't see how that would make it any worse! @loll@

Spend $30 bucks on a skipdoctor, it's worth it, I've fix 30-40 very scratched cd's with it, worked like a charm!!!1

I would get one of those, but unfortunately I don't have 30 bucks. @loll@

But thanks anyway.

By the way, the highlighter thing didn't work. Oh well, just another CD in the trash can.

This is yet another reason why I hate burned CDs!

By the way, the highlighter thing didn't work. Oh well, just another CD in the trash can.

The same place I put the last 3 Michael Jackson Cd's @loll@ .

Ooh, you're crafty. @hmmm@

Actually, the last three were pale in comparison to the others. Damn, for someone who isn't a fan, you're a good guesser! @loll@

And my dad said we could get a SkipDr., so I think I'll just get the manual version. McFly, How long does it take to clear up scratches like mine?

Because I'm in a giving mood...

http://www.btinternet.com/~zturner/index.htm

Note: Your CD was scratched with a pen? That sounds like the scratch is on the label side... is it? If that's the case there's usually nothing that can be done.

Well, he stupidly wrote in pen on the label side. Funny thing is, it wasn't scratched at on the label side. There was just writing. He said he didn't even press down that hard. But the letters went through the damn CD and came out as backwards, scratched versions of themselves on the other side. I also seriously doubt that this can be fixed, as it's obviously more than just a surface scratch.

The same place I put the last 3 Michael Jackson Cd's @loll@ .

Ooh, you're crafty. @hmmm@

Actually, the last three were pale in comparison to the others. Damn, for someone who isn't a fan, you're a good guesser! @loll@

And my dad said we could get a SkipDr., so I think I'll just get the manual version. McFly, How long does it take to clear up scratches like mine?

Around a minute or so, and it's just as good as the automatic version. BTW, I like all of MJ's music up until '87, but it was all downhill from there.

Note: Your CD was scratched with a pen? That sounds like the scratch is on the label side... is it? If that's the case there's usually nothing that can be done.

Well, he stupidly wrote in pen on the label side. Funny thing is, it wasn't scratched at on the label side. There was just writing. He said he didn't even press down that hard. But the letters went through the damn CD and came out as backwards, scratched versions of themselves on the other side. I also seriously doubt that this can be fixed, as it's obviously more than just a surface scratch.

I want to see a pix or scan of this CD cause there is no one in hell you can press and scratch a CD that hard to make it mark all the way through and not crack it...

I want to see a pix or scan of this CD cause there is no one in hell you can press and scratch a CD that hard to make it mark all the way through and not crack it...

Hey man, I'm telling you that's what happened! He wrote on the label side of the CD, but somehow there was backwards writing that matched the writing on the front. Funny thing is, it didn't create a crack through the CD, just scratches. And the scratches are pressed in, rather than raised. It's one messed up case of scratches.

And my scanner isn't working right now. I'll post a pic once I fix the damn thing.

• 2 weeks later...

if its a burned cd why dont you just reburn it???

Yea, why not burn another cd off? At least it was a copy and not an original!

I don't understand how the hell it could go through like that and not of cracked it. @hmmm@ He must of used some force to do that to it.

Yea, why not burn another cd off? At least it was a copy and not an original!

I don't understand how the hell it could go through like that and not of cracked it. @hmmm@ He must of used some force to do that to it.

I can't re-burn one because my friend went away, so I was trying to fix it. And I finally figured out how he made the scratches!

When he wrote one the CD, it scratched through the label and the part with the music on it. But it didn't go all the way through the protective casing that holds that part. This explains why I couldn't feel the scratches, and couldn't see through them. It only went through one side of the CD, and made the scratches BEHIND the plastic of the underside. So the scratches are inside the CD itself, making them unrepairable in any way.

Am i the only one being thick? I still don't understand. @grumpy@ Must be a real cheap cd for it to do that or your friend lied and put loads of pressure onto it when he wrote on it.

Oh well, serves yourself right for not buying original cd's!! @loll@ @smilepunch@

Am i the only one being thick? I still don't understand. @grumpy@ Must be a real cheap cd for it to do that or your friend lied and put loads of pressure onto it when he wrote on it.

Oh well, serves yourself right for not buying original cd's!! @loll@ @smilepunch@

I do buy original CDs, but he burned a copy in case he needed one and just gave it to me.