Storing Your Joes

cobrasaboteur

As a collector, storing hundreds of Gi joes has always been a problem. Ive tried baggies, stands, display cases, and some other really strange ways. I finally bought 4 plastic boxes with 60 drawers each at wal mart for 11.99 each. these were meant to be used to store scress, nets, etc. now my figures are displayed in a morgue like style, and can be accessed very easily with their weapons . I was just wondering effective ways collectors stored their joes. Unfortunately, vehicle storage will always be a problem.

yojoe!!!!!!!

Very good question, especially since alot of us are dealing with that after coming back from the con. I do the exact same thing you do except I also got some bait and tackle clear boxes from Walmart about 2 years ago. They came three to a pack for 5 bucks a a pop. Each box holds 12 figures. U can also rearrange the boxes for figures with more parts such as the v2 artic Stalker. I also bought some carry mate tubs about the size of shoeboxe from Target and store all my JVC and Venom troops in those. For my weapons and stuff I store those in the shoebox totes as well. Lastly for my army builders from the two previous lines I mentioned I bought the biggest carrymate clear tub I could and just went to town.

Do the tackle boxes fit the joes in every compartment? I've looked into that but i have found that most of the spaces have been too thin or not long enough. if they dont fit in every space, weapons could still be stored there. also, does any body know how long golobulus is???

I store mine on a shelf, all standing around like a group picture. Cobra on one side, Joes on the other.

I display some of mine to, but all the stuff coming out I am going to need some more shelves!

Yeah, the Star Wars rectangular cases work very well, but the large Darth vader and C-3P0 cases do not hold the figures securely, and you can not store weapons in them. I never see the 80s Joe cases around though, only on eBay, and they're usually pretty expensive.

What i don't have displayed on a shelf i either have stored in a couple of fishing tackle boxes or i put each individual figure along with the accessories and file card in ziploc snack size storage bags and then into big rubbermaid totes.

I was actually looking at wholesalecases.com the other day trying to decide which cases I wanted to buy to hold all my Joes. (Currently they're in the small Ziploc bags.) After I get enough cases, I plan to buy some small plastic bins from Bed Bath & Beyond (I love discounts due to friends being employees) to hold them all. I plan to keep all of my RAH under my bed, and my JvC will be randomly displayed. Con sets fall under the JvC catagory, since I have two of each set, the first stays in the box, and the second gets displayed.

On a side note: I found out that my two TF Frostbites are one of each version. :)

-Kevin

i have a bunch of the twevle inch JOE FOOTLOCKERS..........stuffed to the gills

some clear smaller storage containers and few large and just yesterday i also went and got a MULTIPLE DRAWER STORAGE CONTAINER....like for screws bolts and minor small stuff , i put guns body parts and stands in it .....it is great........my vehicles ......fortunatly i have a large finished basement .....i have a room only for joes and customizing .......but the MADDNESS HAS SPREAD IN TO THE REST OF THE BASEMENT TOO!!!!!!!!

I play with my JOES too much to have them all sealed up in STAR CASES OR BAGGIES............I GUESS IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW MANY YOU HAVE AND HOW MUCH ROOM YOU HAVE

DOC

Hey Cobra Sabatour how large are those Wally World drawer thingies you picked up? I really need a good storage area for my Joe's. As of right now they are all crammed together in a rubbermaid box I am way to organized for that and it is starting to bug me...just outta curiosity how many figures does everyone have? I know I am gonna sound like Charlie from Wonkas Chocolate factory when I say this but I have about 80...all Joe vs. Cobra line too. Just 80 well I can't do that...LOL...anywho.

Hey Cobra Sabatour how large are those Wally World drawer thingies you picked up? I really need a good storage area for my Joe's. As of right now they are all crammed together in a rubbermaid box I am way to organized for that and it is starting to bug me...just outta curiosity how many figures does everyone have? I know I am gonna sound like Charlie from Wonkas Chocolate factory when I say this but I have about 80...all Joe vs. Cobra line too. Just 80 well I can't do that...LOL...anywho.

They hold like 60 figures each, and they fit perfectly. Like i said, you can get them at wal mart for about 12.oo each, and I have set up on a mantle in my living room four of them. 4 cases hold every figure from 1982 to mid 1990. They are like mini drawers, but the handle of the drawers prevent you from seeing the figures, so when i got them i flipped the cases backwards to be able to identify the figures. if you buy them you will know what im talkin about. it makes for a very impressive display, and is very efficient too.

If you are planning on buying more figures then you can leave spaces in the cases that you can fill in later.

-the saboteur

ps- does anyone know how long golobulus is?

I just keep mine in ziplock baggies in a box for now. Right now I have a bunch of TFs on display and am planning on moving so everything is staying packed up. @grumpy@

As for Golobulus, I'm not entirely sure, but I believe his is about twice the length of a regular RAH figure or about 9 inches.

cobrala.jpg

cool, thanx for the pic. and yeah, storage is going to be a big problem for that guy. if he is a guy. i might have to take him apart. he has an o- ring right? unfortunately, my RAH collection is missing golobulus. thanx again guys. genocide viper- do you think you'll get the cases?

cool, thanx for the pic. and yeah, storage is going to be a big problem for that guy. if he is a guy. i might have to take him apart. he has an o- ring right? unfortunately, my RAH collection is missing golobulus. thanx again guys. genocide viper- do you think you'll get the cases?

Well, depends on how big the bin is. The tail IS flexible, just not very flexible. Or, if the bins are long enough, you could combine 2 of them to fit him (cut out the divider or something).

I use Plano 3700 model tackle box trays. They stack easily and have modular panels to creat 12 chambers that can hold about three figures each.

For Golobulous you can remove the panel seperating two vertical chambers to make one twice as long chamber for him. You can also keep Nemesis Enforcer and the Guard in the same chamber as well. Crystal Ball too since the original Impel card series said he was from it too. There'd be enough chambers to store Eco-Warriors, (including Outback v3, Snowstorm v1, Airtight and the original Toxo-Viper) and Megamarines, including both RAH Mindbender's, as he was listed as the Megamonsters commander. (Except the huge Mega Monsters.) plus the Dino-Hunters and Sky Commandoes.

Very versatile and highly reccomended. Check you fishing supplies stores.

I dont know if you guys know what im talkin about. these cases are not like tackle boxes. they are semi large cubes that hold around 60 equally sized HARD PLASTIC SHELVES that are used to store joes. Take a peek at what i mean. this site will give you an idea, but these cases come in many shelfe sizes, and quantities. http://www.action-electronics.com/akromils.htm write back what you think.

Yeah I am gonna go get some storage bins...finally...just got back from the comic shop with issue #31, when I hit up Wally world I am gonna pick up some Valor vs Venom 2 packs and some one of these bad boys for my Joe's...thanx alot for the info and pics on the boxes man...everyone cross your fingers that my Wally World got Series 3 so I can add to my tiny collection...im off.

I have most of mine stored in those red "GI JOE" storage cases that they used to sell back in '84. They have like 24 compartments for figures and weapons.

hey maul, i have a couple of those too. i have two of the g.i. joe ones, and one generic one the same size (the black one), and another generic one of a different size (to the left).

misc_0061a.jpg

but, they're empty now. all my old joes are either individually sorted in ziplock bags, or still unsorted in plastic bags.

i need to organize all my vintage fiures soon. as for my current collection (rahc, gvc and everything else since then), they're all sorted in individual ziplock bags among ten 3 gallon rubbermaid bins.

misc_0037a.jpg

there's a way i sort them in the boxes, but a little long to explain. but, for a quick example it goes like first box is all the gvc and up g.i. joe characters, then all rahc g.i. joe characters, then cobra command and individual cobra characters, then cobra army builders (these take up two of the bins), and so on like that.

that's the same way i sort all my figures. in ziplock bags. but, with all my other figures (6" and miscellaneous), i have fourteen 18 gallon rubbermaid bins for my current collections (i have a lot more of everything else than just g.i. joe).

diesel

I put my extra Joe's in a tool box as well one of those plastic ones with individual drawers. My other loose Joe's and vechiles are scattered around my room. Since I came back from the con I've rearranged everything in my room so once I'm done with my figures I'll be taking pics of it and putting them up here. My RAH figures though (mainly v1 figures) I have on a seperate display shelf. Also, I'm fixing a cabinet to put all my bust's and mini-statues in so I'll hopefully have that done when I take pics of my figures