Ebay Problems

RJBrian

OK, here is the deal. Several weeks ago I won two custom G. I. Joe figure from someone on eBay. After I won them I noticed that on the last few items that the eBayer sold he had been left negative feedback. They said that he would not respond to e-mails and they did not receive the items that they had won from him. So I decided that before I sent him the payment I would e-mail him and find out what the deal is, I mean I didn't want him to screw me like he did the other eBayers. I sent him four e-mail over the coarse of three weeks giving him the chance to respond On the last e-mail I sent (which I send on Monday) I told him that if I didn't get a response by Friday I would leave him negative feedback. I heard nothing from him so yesterday I left him negative feedback on both items saying that he would not respond to e-mails.

Now here is the kicker, when I logged back on eBay this morning the guy had the nerve to leave me negative feedback. He said that he sent me an invoice and that he never received payment. I sent him another e-mail asking him what the deal is this morning but I haven't heard anything from him yet.

I have never had this problem before, I have never had any negative feedback and I would like to have it removed somehow. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what I should do about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

There's the chance that your email (and the emails of a lot of other people) got caught up in his spam filter. There's way too many email spam filters on the net these days and most of them are badly configurated so when someone looks like he's ignoring you, he probably doesn't even have a clue that you wrote to him in the first place. I always try to contact the person via another email just to play it safe.

Though by the looks of what you're saying here, he's probably trying to rip off people on eBay so... you did the right thing but unfortunately retaliatory feedback on eBay is rampant and bound to happen... that's why they came up (well, I guess that's the real reason they came up with this) with mutual feedback removal. Basically you fill a form on eBay requesting that both of your bad feedback be removed, and if the other guy agree to it, both are removed (even though the comments stay, they will not count toward your total). I personnaly think this is a bunch of ***** and I would NEVER remove a bad feedback I left just to have the retaliatory bad I got out of it removed (I don't have a 100% rating, and I don't care... I use the eBay feedback system for what it was intented in the first place, and I do follow up comments on the bad feedback I receive for being an honest eBayer), but if you really want to have that neg removed, it will be the only way (and guess what, he probably left retaliatory bad feedback just so you can fill this form in 5 days and have his own bad feedback from you removed from his record)...

Yeah you did the right thing by not paying since he would not respond to emails. It's so easy to start ripping people off on ebay so you gotta call 'em on it at the first sign of a scam. Email filters are no excuse IMO.

The seller was probably looking for a higher price for the customs and ignored your emails so he could resell the items but as soon as you gave him negatives then he said to himself... Screw this guy... I'll negative him back...

It happens all the time...

^ Tom, don't you think that is a little drastic.

Anyway, he finally responded after the fifth e-mail. In my last e-mail I told him that I would still like to buy the figures and if there was anyway that he change the feedback. Here is his response, read it and tell me what you think......

I will be happy to send you the figures if you decide to send the payment.  Once payment is recieved, I will be happy to reverse my feedback as long as you are willing to do the same. The past feed back issue on part should have been asked about prior to bidding if it was a concern of yours.  You bid and won the items.  I sent you an invoice, you were legally obligated to pay and did not.  Once again the feedback issue should have been asked about BEFORE you decided to bid.  I have not had access to my computer fore a while and could not get my mail other wise I would have responded.  You can not bid and win an auction and then decide to be leary about it.  I combunicated by sending an invoice and held up my end of the auction process.  The ball is now in your court.

What he did was called a retalitory feedback and that is against Ebay's rules technically. SO e-mail ebay and maybe they will fix your problem! They did for me once. Good luck!

Draven #US1#

well, the guy does have a point about asking questions before you bid. but, he still shouldn't have left negative because you did. although he does have a valid excuse in that he did not receive payment. so, he's painted a pretty picture from his end that eBay will probably be more likely to listen to. i'd go ahead and pay for the customs and reverse all this negativity.

can't we all just be happy? eBay is such a wonderful place for so many interesting people to share the love they have for others. or something like that.

Sadly Ebay will take his side every time, even if he's flat-out stealing money from people. Ebay doesn't care. I'd just write it off as a bad experience since that's really all you can do. Ebay's rules don't favor the buyer at all.

No matter what the other says, eBay cannot, and will not, do anything about a bad feedback (even if it is retaliatory) unless the feedback involves them or refer to any personal information (something like "Eric Swanson is a scammer" would be ground for removal, but "This seller is a scammer" would not... "eBay is investigating this guy" could get removed with a complaint to them, "authorities are checking in on this guy" would not...). There's no rule about retaliatory feedback, to them it's impossible to prove anyway that the feedback is retaliatory... so that's why they came up with the thing I was talking about in my first message, the mutual neg withdrawal form (basically encouraging retaliatory feedback!!).

If the seller is actually implying that he could reverse his feedback, he's full of ****! It's IMPOSSIBLE ! Even by contacting eBay they will not reverse his feedback! Once again their rules are clear on this and the only case where they will do it is if the guy tell them that he gave the bad feedback to the wrong guy, and he tells them to which guy he was supposed to leave the neg (and do so)... then eBay will "consider" feedback reversion after they investigate.

Again, your only chance at having this neg marked off your feedback is their new mutual feedback removal form, it can be completed 5 days after both feedbacks are left and both users must agree to it. And there's a limit of 1 or 2 per month I think...

I have over 500+ rating on eBay and I'm a member since almost day one... (1996 I think..?). Believe me, I've seen the beautiful, the bad, the good and the ugly up there...

Anyway, he finally responded after the fifth e-mail. In my last e-mail I told him that I would still like to buy the figures and if there was anyway that he change the feedback. Here is his response, read it and tell me what you think......

I will be happy to send you the figures if you decide to send the payment.  Once payment is recieved, I will be happy to reverse my feedback as long as you are willing to do the same. The past feed back issue on part should have been asked about prior to bidding if it was a concern of yours.  You bid and won the items.  I sent you an invoice, you were legally obligated to pay and did not.  Once again the feedback issue should have been asked about BEFORE you decided to bid.  I have not had access to my computer fore a while and could not get my mail other wise I would have responded.  You can not bid and win an auction and then decide to be leary about it.   I combunicated by sending an invoice and held up my end of the auction process.  The ball is now in your court.

i wouldn't send the dude a dime! @grumpy@

like Roy said, i'd just charge it to the game and chalk it up to a bad experiance. it is possible to change feedback but the seller would have to pay for it which most likely he won't.

i would reply to his negative feed back and try to explain the situation as best i could with the little space you are given and note that the guy is the one with the history of negative feedback.

Guest DavAnthony

This guys sounds like a prick. I wouldn't send him any money at all. If you like the custom work he did. As another customizer if they will make these figures for you. You can go to Joecustoms.com or post here and you'll probably be able to find someone who will make them for you. Based on what you've said this guy doesn't deserve your money.

You can also post on this board and others a "Bad ebay seller thread". This alerst people to stay away from this guy. I believe that www.ringofcollectors.com also has threads based on bad ebay sellers.

Hope this helps

Dave

Anyway, he finally responded after the fifth e-mail.  In my last e-mail I told him that I would still like to buy the figures and if there was anyway that he change the feedback.  Here is his response, read it and tell me what you think......

I will be happy to send you the figures if you decide to send the payment.  Once payment is recieved, I will be happy to reverse my feedback as long as you are willing to do the same. The past feed back issue on part should have been asked about prior to bidding if it was a concern of yours.  You bid and won the items.  I sent you an invoice, you were legally obligated to pay and did not.  Once again the feedback issue should have been asked about BEFORE you decided to bid.  I have not had access to my computer fore a while and could not get my mail other wise I would have responded.  You can not bid and win an auction and then decide to be leary about it.   I combunicated by sending an invoice and held up my end of the auction process.  The ball is now in your court.

i wouldn't send the dude a dime! @grumpy@

like Roy said, i'd just charge it to the game and chalk it up to a bad experiance. it is possible to change feedback but the seller would have to pay for it which most likely he won't.

i would reply to his negative feed back and try to explain the situation as best i could with the little space you are given and note that the guy is the one with the history of negative feedback.

I'm with you on that one, I would not send him a dime either- I would of rather received negative feedback then luck out on sending him $$$$$ (he was probably trying to rip you off).

I will be happy to send you the figures if you decide to send the payment.  Once payment is recieved, I will be happy to reverse my feedback as long as you are willing to do the same. The past feed back issue on part should have been asked about prior to bidding if it was a concern of yours.  You bid and won the items.  I sent you an invoice, you were legally obligated to pay and did not.  Once again the feedback issue should have been asked about BEFORE you decided to bid.  I have not had access to my computer fore a while and could not get my mail other wise I would have responded.  You can not bid and win an auction and then decide to be leary about it.  I combunicated by sending an invoice and held up my end of the auction process.  The ball is now in your court.

What a t00l!

There is a new feature that rolled out not too long ago called Mutual Feedback Withdrawl:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/withdr...w-feedback.html

This "allows members to withdraw feedback for a transaction if both members are able to agree on a resolution. Withdrawn feedback is not counted in the feedback score or ratings, but remains in the list of comments."

Fill out the form and request it...maybe you will get lucky!! :) Good luck!!

If the seller is actually implying that he could reverse his feedback, he's full of ****! It's IMPOSSIBLE ! Even by contacting eBay they will not reverse his feedback! Once again their rules are clear on this and the only case where they will do it is if the guy tell them that he gave the bad feedback to the wrong guy, and he tells them to which guy he was supposed to leave the neg (and do so)... then eBay will "consider" feedback reversion after they investigate.

See above post

See above post

?

Let me just say something along the same line... see above post. I already told about the mutual feedback removal form in the second post of the thread, and I already told that it was impossible to have a bad feedback removed unless it directly involves eBay in a negative manner, involve personal information (name, email, phone number...) or a commitment from the poster to post another bad feedback to another eBayer telling eBay the first one was an error.

No matter what you say, it's impossible to have a bad feedback litteraly removed unless it meets those criterias... even with this mutual feedback withdrawal, it's not removed completely, it's just that it won't count toward your feedback rating (You'll get that -1 removed, the comment WILL stay...).

Anyway... it looks like there's a bit too much of eBay experts around here...

No matter what you say, it's impossible to have a bad feedback litteraly removed unless it meets those criterias... even with this mutual feedback withdrawal, it's not removed completely, it's just that it won't count toward your feedback rating (You'll get that -1 removed, the comment WILL stay...).

Anyway... it looks like there's a bit too much of eBay experts around here...

Agreed. Sounds like he was worried about his feedback percentage. I think people care more about thier percentages anyways. Usually bad feedback just gets lost in all the positives. Mutual Feedback withdrawl seems like an easier road to go through than mediation through Square Trade or contacting eBay directly.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions guys, I might try out the 'Mutual Feedback Withdrawl' thing if I don't here back for him shortly. I send him another e-mail replying to his last e-mail and I haven't heard back form him yet. He has an AOL address and I can check the status and tell when he opens my sent e-mails and so far he hasn't even opened it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update......

I have decided not to worry bout trying to get the guy to reverse the feed back sine other people need to know that he doesn't respond to e-mail. So I just replied to his feedback saying that the reason that I never sent the payment is because he wouldn't respond to my e-mails. I also decided not to but the figures from him, told him that he could keep them and do what ever he wanted to do with them. I'm kind of hopping the he'll stick them up his ass, but that might be too much to ask. :D

Thanks again for all of your concerns.