Marvel Comic Book Dvds...

NMX

Today while raiding the electronics section at Walmart to stock up on blank cds and digicam goodies, I came across something I'd never seen before... Marvel Comic Book DVDs. I'm almost positive that I just missed the boat on these, because they're dated 2003 and the issues they offer aren't so recent... but maybe they were just slow to hit the Canadian market, or maybe I just never noticed them. But still, this was a first for me.

They had Ultimates 1-6 on one, Ultimate Elektra and Daredevil 1-4 on another, and a third with six Hulk issues (it said issues 1-6, but I think they meant the first six issues of what's-his-face's extended run - the one that made the book "hot" again for a while). I picked up Ultimates, since the other two DVDs didn't do much for me, and I'd been waiting to read Ultimates anyway due to its lateness.

The thing was actually pretty cool. It's like the DotComics from Marvel's website, basically cycling through the panels with some minor animation and cinematic effects. There were voice-overs on this, though, which weren't nearly as corny as I'd have expected (well, Banner got corny when in Hulk mode, but I don't envy anybody that has to voice a monster in a serious fashion). Overall, I enjoyed it, and it made for a very good way to showcase Millar's story and, of course, Hitch's art.

According to an ad inside the case, there are apparently a couple more of these other than the three I saw today at Walmart. Origin 1-6 and Daredevil 1-8 (the Smith/Quesada arc) seem to be out there as well. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Smith/Quesada Daredevil one.

At $20 a pop (Canadian, my guess would be that these would run about $12 to 15 US), it's no more expensive than picking up a tpb for one of the same arcs, and it's presented in a format that might be more appealing to kids who aren't into collecting comics of the typical paper variety.

Anywho, has anyone else seen these and/or checked them out? Are they new or did I just fall into a timewarp? Thoughts?

And hell, while I'm tossing out questions, does anybody happen to know if there are any more of these planned? I wouldn't mind getting the second half of the first "season" of Ultimates if it's something they'll be doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the Smith/Quesada Daredevil one yesterday.

It was good, though I'm not sure it translated to the screen as well as The Ultimates did (granted, Millar and Hitch intended for their series to carry a more cinematic quality). The eight issues that made up the Daredevil arc made for a just a bit too much viewing time - I got bored and had to watch it in two sittings. Six issues (which The Ultimates arc was) made for a more ideal length.

Like The Ultimates one, though, Daredevil was enjoyable. I'm still not sure that this is a format I could get into on a regular basis, but it's been fun to check out, and the potential for attracting new "readers" to comic books who normally might not be interested speaks for itself.

They ARE selling too (around here at least), as every display I've seen for these has been down to its last few copies each time I've gone looking. The several Ultimate X-Men dvds appear to be the most popular, as they're never in stock. Daredevil was hard to find as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a bunch of these a few months back at TRU, they had them marked down from $13.99 to $4.99. I have all of them but the Ultimate DD one, I haven't been able to find it yet. They are pretty awesome and I hope that they will make more of them in the future.

BTW, click here to see the tread that I made about these in the Marver Thread back when I first found them.