An Idea I Have To Help Get Kids Into Comics

TommyGoth

I dont know whats happened in his life but he's become one irratiable guy.

I noticed that too Pat.

- its worse than a girl with PMS.

alright, on a lighter note, I went to my comic book shop and they gave me 50 FCBD books so I can give to kids for halloween! not bad. He said to come back next week for more if needed.

It appears that this thread is falling into personal attacks rather than a discussion of the issue. I'm sure that if NMX of Jay saw some of these comments that it'll probably get locked and we'll get chastized. Let's be adult about this and we can talk about the issues at hand.

Indeed. Simmer down, children, before daddy becomes irritated. @wink@

There's a lovely topic to be discussed here, so let's try to stick with it, eh?

As for my thoughts on the topic...

Giving out free comics on Halloween is a spiffy idea. But why just then? I've always got an assortment of comics lying around - usually titles that I checked out and just couldn't get into. That happens to all of us, I'm sure. But a comic you're not into might have the potential to be another person's favorite title, so pass along those that are of no use to you. Even if they did cost you a few bucks, well, it's not like they're doing any good in the darker corner of your collection.

Don't wait for Halloween - do it before the next issues of those titles come out, and before previous issues disappear from the rack. Give people a chance to follow up on it if they check out a freebie and decide it's worth paying money for more.

With people like me, there's also the factor that I'm constantly converting parts of my collection to TPB and HC format. I've got complete runs that I may or may not be able to sell for a decent price (some titles, as good as they are, just don't move at high prices). So rather than sell or scrap those comics, hang on to them - they make perfect reading copies that can be loaned out to friends, so that they can see not only the titles you're digging, but the titles you're digging enough to have bought TWICE.

That said, if a visitor to my home ever asks me if they can check out something from my bookshelf, I'm probably never going to say no. If they had enough curiosity to want to check something out, then I'm turning away a potential new reader.

Anywho, I'm likely rambling at this point, so I'm going to wrap this up. My point is that while the thought of giving out comics at Halloween is a great one, and certainly as noble an effort as any, one should keep in mind that comics activism is more than a once-a-year gig. @wink@

Cheers folks, and behave.

I won't stoop to personal attacks. If someone else is, I guess their arguement needs to be a bit stronger.

I live and breathe and work in the cartoon business, if its not comics, its animation, if not those its some part of them, related or whatever.

Accusing me of not having passion for this stuff is a farce--my resume alone puts it to the lie. I can tell some of those who are rankling at my words what this is all about............you are in denial. You don't want to hear the doomsaying...........and unfortunately I am the one saying doom.

Total reality check, but no-one wants the reality.

Y'think I get my rocks off pondering the end of print comics? Get real.

I laid out info for people to chew on..........almost no-one bites.

Too bitter a pill I guess.

Hey, the info is there for people to look at, to check out for themselves.

It'd take the same amount of effort to check it out as it would to hand out free comics to some kid.

Maybe those who don't like what I say are just too plain lazy to give as good as they get.

And as for handing stuff out, I've sat on my porch and drawn stuff for kids on the spot in years past. Talk about free...........pfffft.

You don't win fans with research; you win fans with your passion of the genre.

Genres don't die; they fade and come back, fade and come back.

Print is never going to die, it will grow smaller, but it will never die. No genre of art has ever 'died'.

You can spew numbers, drop names, and list your job resume all you want. At the end of the day it's all bitchin' and still no physical action. Band-Aid? Yes. Still better then doing NOTHING.

Well, if you wanna sit on the curb and wait with me for silent movies and westerns to come back and make a big showing again, I'll be glad for the company.

I'm not seeing many black and white films made, and 2D animation is taking its bumps right now ( though the jury is still very out on that one)--almost no-one makes cartoons that are cel-painted these days, its almost all digital colour.

And variety shows on TV don't last all that long anymore. Ed Sullivan, Lawrence Welk and Truth or Consequences lasted for YEARS.

Cave painting isn't happen too terribly much these days ( replaced or evolved into "tagging", no doubt) and sculpting ornate filligree on churches is pretty much swapped with bland noveau crown molding these days.

Heck, I don't know of anyone doing matte-painting in effects any more and motion-control is a rare thing--but those are crafts and not genres per se.

There are quite a few artistic genres that are, for all intents and purposes, dead.