Did It Ever Bother You That....

MegaForce

It all began when Transformers was created by mixing already existing toys from different Japanese toy lines into one franchise with its own TV show, making a line of toys that varied a lot in scale. It was marketing genius, of course.. TFs became massively popular and the line even did well in Japan despite the fact that the toys had been seen already. A legendary toy franchise was born that endures today.

But in my opinion a row of loose TFs on a shelf (which is how I collect and display my toys) often look awkward and mismatched with different looks and sizes. And dioramas (which I like to make with other toys) would look really strange with some figures matched with each other. Even as a kid I noticed that TFs varied a lot in looks and quality. I still wanted them, of course.. but I chose Joes and many other toys over TFs and I think scale compatibility (and the accessory/vehicle possibilities it opens up) was one of the factors.

It's just an opinion of mine, but hey, that's what message boards are for. Did it bother you guys any?

The size of the robots themselves never really bothered me - in general the bases and gestalts were bigger than any of the others so I was happy!

It was when you get the Alt Modes, and Soundwave is the same size as Optimus' Truck, that things were questionable! Mind you, most of the G1 stuff apart from Megs and Soundwave was pretty in scale...it's at least nice that collections such as the Autobot cars and the Decepticon jets were all the same scale as each other :)

The size of the robots themselves never really bothered me - in general the bases and gestalts were bigger than any of the others so I was happy!

It was when you get the Alt Modes, and Soundwave is the same size as Optimus' Truck, that things were questionable!  Mind you, most of the G1 stuff apart from Megs and Soundwave was pretty in scale...it's at least nice that collections such as the Autobot cars and the Decepticon jets were all the same scale as each other :)

The Autobot cars aren't even in scale with each other (compare Tracks and Prowl/Smokescreen/Bluestreak, for instance).

The jets aren't ANYWHERE close to being in scale with the cars. They'd need to be four times as long as the Datsuns to be in scale. (280Z is about 14.5 feet long, an F-15 is just under 64 feet long).

---

Yeah, scale's bothered me for a while. If you go back far enough, assuming the posts are still there, you'll find that I said a few times that my dream TF line would have in-scale, real world vehicles... and then, Alternators came. :)

As an adult collector, it doesn't bother me at all. In my mind, it's like you are displaying pieces from different lines or something.

BUT...as a kid it drove me insane! I wanted the Stunticons to be as big as the Autobot cars, and I wanted the Aerialbots to be as big as the Seeker jets! The combiner robots should have been huge next to the others. But I was a weird, perfectionist kid though when it came to toys... (lol)

Yeah, it did always really bug me. This is one reason I pretty much only collect Alternators and WSTs/Micromasters and cities/bases (I knbow the scale in the latter are off as well, but when they're that small it's not as big of deal).

Interesting aside: in my "universe", Metroplex and Energon Megatron are the same size....

Yeah, it did always really bug me. This is one reason I pretty much only collect Alternators and WSTs/Micromasters and cities/bases (I knbow the scale in the latter are off as well, but when they're that small it's not as big of deal).

Interesting aside: in my "universe", Metroplex and Energon Megatron are the same size....

so is Metroplex real small or is Megatron real big?

It was when you get the Alt Modes, and Soundwave is the same size as Optimus' Truck, that things were questionable! Mind you, most of the G1 stuff apart from Megs and Soundwave was pretty in scale...it's at least nice that collections such as the Autobot cars and the Decepticon jets were all the same scale as each other :)

What I meant was that all the Autobot cars were in scale with each other, and the Decepticon jets were all in scale with each other, not that the cars were in scale with the jets :-p

Mind you, you do have Jazz being close to the same length as Inferno and Grapple, which is a bit odd!

It's this reason though that I like the WST, as they look pretty good when posed with the bases and Unicron :)

It's this reason though that I like the WST, as they look pretty good when posed with the bases and Unicron :)

That's a great idea...scale problem solved!!

the minicons were never in scale with one another. how is a bike the size of a jet?

The solution to all this is to just imagine that if you have a car and a jet the same size, that the jet is just further away and therefore smaller .. easy ;-)

the minicons were never in scale with one another. how is a bike the size of a jet?

The solution to all this is to just imagine that if you have a car and a jet the same size, that the jet is just further away and therefore smaller .. easy ;-)

Or the minicon cars are autobots and in scale with G1 jets :)

It all began when Transformers was created by mixing already existing toys from different Japanese toy lines into one franchise with its own TV show, making a line of toys that varied a lot in scale. It was marketing genius, of course.. TFs became massively popular and the line even did well in Japan despite the fact that the toys had been seen already. A legendary toy franchise was born that endures today.

But in my opinion a row of loose TFs on a shelf (which is how I collect and display my toys) often look awkward and mismatched with different looks and sizes. And dioramas (which I like to make with other toys) would look really strange with some figures matched with each other. Even as a kid I noticed that TFs varied a lot in looks and quality. I still wanted them, of course.. but I chose Joes and many other toys over TFs and I think scale compatibility (and the accessory/vehicle possibilities it opens up) was one of the factors.

It's just an opinion of mine, but hey, that's what message boards are for. Did it bother you guys any?

To answer your post, YES.

That is why I collect "certain" Transformers. I started again when Masterpiece Convoy came out. The Armada Jets, the Alternators, and some of the Energon toys have made scale, but the rest do not.

I would, however like to collect re-issue Insecticons. These fit into any scale, IF they ever get re-issued.

Never bothered me, but some times when I think one of them needed to be bigger or smaller, it would, but I guess it's fine, because...

I have never opened one!

Never opened one, ever?? Jeez, have you ever even -transformed- a Transformer?

It has always bothered me.

The combiners are the biggest pain in my arse. I really wish the individual robots were in scale with the rest of the G1 TF's.

Same goes for bases. They should all be way bigger.

some did some didn't. the scale of Blaster + motormaster bugged me (how can his feet be the same size as prime's chest, yet he's smaller?) but generally it was ok... inferno's arms being visable in alt mode bugged me though ;)