Chase Figs -- Why?

GranSazer

I've been collecting toys for a long time (probably longer than some folks round these parts have been breathing). One of the more recent developments in the hobby that completely baffles me is the concept of the chase figure. Why are some figures intentionally short packed by the manufacturer? Take Arcee, for example. What does Hasbro gain by limiting her to one per case? They don't charge more for her "rarity". The customer pays the exact same price for her as for another TF of her size. They make no more or less by packing her one per case or two per case. She's no more detailed than Insecticon (another short packed fig), Divebomb, and other basics, so I doubt there's more work on the manufacturing side. How do they profit by forcing the collector to make multiple trips to stores? Do they expect us to buy another figure in the series as a replacement when we find none of the chase figs on the pegs? "Hmmm, no Arcee. I'll buy another Signal Flare instead!" I just don't get it. Why do chase figs exist? Why not ship figures in equal ratios?

They are pressured into it by retailers. This causes us to more frequent their stores looking for the rarer figures. In doing so, they are hoping we purchase something else whether it be a different toy, candy bar, socks, etc....

They are pressured into by retailers. This cause us to more frequent their stores looking for the rarer figures. In doing so, they are hoping we purchase something else.

Wha? SS49, you know how small the number of collectors there are in comparison to the number of toys bought for children.. with that in mind, that doesn't make much sense.

They are pressured into by retailers. This cause us to more frequent their stores looking for the rarer figures. In doing so, they are hoping we purchase something else.

Wha? SS49, you know how small the number of collectors there are in comparison to the number of toys bought for children.. with that in mind, that doesn't make much sense.

Maybe not, but that is the reason. Thats why we have Chase figures, short packs, and exclusives. Drum up more or exclusive business.

Arcee is not a chase figure.. she's shipping 2 per case as it is.

The only thing that could be considered chases for Transformers are exclusives.

She may not be a chase figure now at two per case, but she damn well was during the initial shipment. Show of hands: how many here are STILL looking for an Arcee? Not a chase, huh? Maybe not as you define "chase", but when I have to go to WM every day of the week to find a fig that I'm searching for, I call that a "chase". What would you call Signal Flare? I was lucky to get there as they were stocking the pegs and grabbed her and Insecticon. There are a lot out there who haven't been so lucky yet.

Maybe not, but that is the reason. Thats why we have Chase figures, short packs, and exclusives. Drum up more or exclusive business.

Except that Hasbro does not make TF chases, except for exclusives.

Gran - Arcee is NOT a chase. A chase figure would not be shipping in the next wave. Arcee will. Arcee was shortpacked in the initial release. Big difference.

I have three Arcee's :D

Anyhoo, she's really not that difficult to get ditto with Insecticon. I too was under the impression of only one per case, but if someone pulled two then maybe that's the ratio.

Insecticon is a shortpack?  I seen 5 when I got arcee.

And you didn't buy them for me ? Damn you... :P

And the next one, or two I see, depending on how much cash I got, are MINE Grady!

Hasbro does short pack figures for the collecters market I'm sure but why I have no idea... I dislike chases because normaly THERE REALLY COOL FIGURES! & then I get jacked & never get them LOL!

Japans/takara is the ultimate evil when it comes to chases there out right rat bastards! Crud... I did it now! Now the next reissuse I buy is gona come with a missing part!

They are pressured into it by retailers. This causes us to more frequent their stores looking for the rarer figures. In doing so, they are hoping we purchase something else whether it be a different toy, candy bar, socks, etc....

Never works on me. When I don't see what I want, I don't spend money on something I don't want to make up for it.

Why do chase figs exist? Why not ship figures in equal ratios?

Sorry, I feel like making a smart@$$ comment...

To make you ask questions!

Why do chase figs exist? Why not ship figures in equal ratios?

Sorry, I feel like making a smart@$$ comment...

To make you ask questions!

Smarta$$ is good. ;)

(sigh)

Something like the Marvel Legends chases, I understand. Doombot is different (kinda like Synch), so there's a bit of fun in finding him. Makes it almost worth the hunt. Shortpacked figs, however, just plain suck.

Never works on me. When I don't see what I want, I don't spend money on something I don't want to make up for it.

Im with you, usually I just walk right out. But every now and then I will buy something I need and that store got my cash instead of a different one.

I dont think the plan is to make you buy thing you dont want to make up for it. I think its to capitalize on the impulse buy. Candy, soda, magizine.

How do Shortpacked figures suck more than chases ? Short packs are a lot easier to get....

If you're at the right place at the right time. I've found three Doombots and an unmasked Wolverine so far, but the time I snagged Arcee and Insecticon was the first and ONLY time I've seen them. Maybe it's the area in which I live, but I hit Wal-Mart and Target every freakin' day and I've yet to see another Arcee.

Arcee is not a "chase" figue in the same sense as ML chase figures. Hasbro merely shortpacked her in order to get her out to retail as soon as possible.

Most of the newest cases being shipped should include 2 Arcees, and she should be shipping until early fall, and will probably get a repaint before all is said and done in Energon.

Bear in mind that there are many TF collectors, fans, and kids buying toys and Arcee being as unique as she is, is highly sought after, and it doesn't help when most stores I go to over order the older cases and then wait until clearing out toys before ordering more.

If you can't find Arcee, it is probably because the store simply has a lot of older stock on the shelves.