Detroit Pistons Take The Nba Championship!

Outsiders

Detroit 100, LA Lakers 87

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Motown is Titletown. The descendants of the Bad Boys made sure of it with a stunning upset that was really no contest at all.

Without a superstar among them and without being given much of a chance, the Detroit Pistons humiliated the Los Angeles Lakers 100-87 Tuesday night in Game 5 of the NBA finals for their first title in 14 years.

The Pistons were at their very best in the clincher, defeating the Lakers in every facet of the game. It was both methodical and shocking the way they pulled ahead and pulled away for one of the biggest surprises in NBA finals history.

Ben Wallace took a big step toward becoming a superstar with a 18-point, 22-rebound effort that helped Detroit become the first Eastern Conference team to win the title since the Michael Jordan-led Chicago Bulls in 1998.

Equally important was 14 points from Chauncey Billups, the best guard on the floor throughout the series, 21 from Richard Hamilton and 17 from Tayshaun Prince.

It was so lopsided that Lakers owner Jerry Buss, carrying his jacket and accompanied by an entourage, headed for the exit before the third quarter was over. By the time the last timeout rolled around, fans were already being urged to keep their celebrations under control.

As the final buzzer sounded and confetti began dropping, Pistons coach Larry Brown stoically walked to midcourt and received an affectionate handshake and warm smile from Lakers coach Phil Jackson and a hug from Kobe Bryant.

Great minds think alike OS. @loll@

Simply awesome to see Detroit destroy the Lakers tonight. LA were waving the white flags in the third quarter. Haven't been this excited about the NBA since the Bulls and Jordan.

Congrats Pistons.

YES!!!!! I enjoyed this game so much watching the Pistons thrash the Lakers....Even when Darko played at the end amused me - the kid needs some work with his free throws....

Otherwise, I'm so glad Detroit won - they were clearly the better team throughout this series and deserved to win :) Congrats :)

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!

The look on the faces of all the Lakers looking dumbfounded and beat were just great.

Congrats to da Pistons!!!!

...Haven't been this excited about the NBA since the Bulls and Jordan...

Me too! :)

Man, it's so great to see the Laker's get dominated like this. @lol@ Detroit deserved it, as they played, and presented themselves as champions throughout this short series.

I do have to give credit to Fisher, as it seemed he was the only Laker who stayed on the floor, congratulating the Pistons, and talking to the press. The rest of the Lakers are poor losers...

What I really loved is how in this game, and in game 4, Kobe kept trying to be the hero, and come up with big shots, but couldn't do $h*t against Detroit's defense. The best set of possessions were in the thrid quarter, where Kobe forced up a shot from outside, missed, grabbed his own rebound, missed, and then fouled the Pistons as they pushed the ball down the floor. Then, on the next LA possession, Kobe forced up another bad shot, and missed again. @lol@ He needed to be knocked down a notch or two, and I think this series probably knocked him completely off the totem pole. @wink@

Big Ben was awesome in this game, as he seemed to come up with every rebound and loose ball. Prince was the smooth criminal he's been throughout this series, and Hamilton and Billups played a great game as well. I can't get enough of the Pistons right now. @wink@

I am so happy! The Lakers thought they could just waltz into the Finals and beat the lesser East team, but obviously Detroit was so pumped for winning, they ultimately did. They really deserved it though, since nearly all the Pistons put up great numbers consistently each night.

oh man.. the Lakers are like the most overrated team ever!

That was like a 5 game sweep! Detroit outplayed them in every game!

But what still pisses me off is all the jerks on ESPN and ABC saying that the Lakers were making themselves lose.. What about Detroit was just a much better team?

oh man.. the Lakers are like the most overrated team ever!

That was like a 5 game sweep! Detroit outplayed them in every game!

But what still pisses me off is all the jerks on ESPN and ABC saying that the Lakers were making themselves lose.. What about Detroit was just a much better team?

Hey CLAMMY :)

Actually, Doc Rivers said the Pistons were the better team and the way they were playing, they'd be beatin' the Lakers nine more times if the series was that long because they were clearly the better team :)

Kobe for all his talent and great game, has a lot to learn....making his teammates better and not trying to be a hero game in and game out....

@bounce@ @bananna@ @bananna@ @bananna@ @bananna@ @bananna@ @bananna@ @bananna@ @bananna@ @bananna@ @bananna@ @bananna@

Happy days happy days

"oh man.. the Lakers are like the most overrated team ever!"

I could'nt agree more. cant understand why everyone jumps on the wagon. Gonna suck for them when Kobe bolts for Memphis. If hes not thrown in jail that is.

The problem with the Lakers is exactly that - they're way overrated and unless Shaq takes a paycut as well as Kobe in the event that he somehow stays, the Lakers will continue to struggle.

I noticed the Lakers, Shaq in particular, like to blame each other - they're not a team - they're a bunch of egotistic individuals - Payton whines because he's not the focal point...Karl chasing his NBA title...Kobe taking too many shots.....Shaq wanting the ball more often....Phil and his contract...the list goes on and on...

The Lakers won their 3 titles because they played together as a team and their egos were not so over the top...

I'm glad the Lakers in all likelihood will be broken up - I can't stand Shaq and I hope someone puts him in his place....

Maybe the Kings will step up and take the title next year :)