Gi Joe 31 Preview Is Up

knightbymoonlight

I would appreciate you to refrain from using "gd" in your posts.

Actually he didnt say gd anywhere in his post. It was part of the topic header, not in the actual post itself.

Anyone else see the irony in Lector of all people telling someone how to conduct their behavior?

Yes!

This Issue looks great!

I have 1-19 so far because, I got a bit behind with collecting the toys...

So tom. I had my comic book store guy to save me 20-31 that he has and I am going to buy them all!

I love this comic!

This issue is going to kick ass, I can't wait. It is about freaking time they brought Falcon into the book, now if they would only release a new figure of him.

Well, I peeked and I wish I hadn't.

I'm going to be the , prehaps, lone dissenting voice here and say the art for this ( these) comics stinks.

And I know comics art.

Problem with it is the artist can draw figures okay, but his backgrounds are VERY bland and his vehicles are atrocious. The perspective on the Sand Razors is waaaaaaaaay off for the scale. And is that a NAC in the top panel??? C'mon.......

The office and plane interior are pretty cliched--the artist GUESSED at the stuff and didn't reference what a real plane of office would/could look like. Putting a ounce of design-thinking and theory into this stuff would yeild better looking pages.

GIJOE looks best when the artists can render the environments and the vehicles as well as the characters--this artists can't.

Honestly, there's been very few artists on the GIJOE book who can.

Mark Bright and Michael Golden in the Marvel run are two I can name off the top of my head.

Licensed books like this are tough, because artists have a set series of designs they need to follow, for characters and such--and thus are not always popular with artists. The end result is tripe like this.

Seriously, I think this stuff can be done better.

--Ken

I'm going to be the , prehaps, lone dissenting voice here and say the art for this ( these) comics stinks.

And I know comics art.

Problem with it is the artist can draw figures okay, but his backgrounds are VERY bland and his vehicles are atrocious. The perspective on the Sand Razors is waaaaaaaaay off for the scale. And is that a NAC in the top panel??? C'mon.......

The office and plane interior are pretty cliched--the artist GUESSED at the stuff and didn't reference what a real plane of office would/could look like. Putting a ounce of design-thinking and theory into this stuff would yeild better looking pages.

GIJOE looks best when the artists can render the environments and the vehicles as well as the characters--this artists can't.

Mark Bright and Michael Golden in the Marvel run are two I can name off the top of my head.

Licensed books like this are tough, because artists have a set series of designs they need to follow, for characters and such--and thus are not always popular with artists. The end result is tripe like this.

--Ken

Mmm. The art on most of the Joe books is fairly mediocre, I agree. Though Tim bradstreet's covers when he does them are always gorgeous. I'm really enjoying the art on Master and Apprentice though.

And I know comics art.

--Ken

why dont you send in some stuff Ken, i'd love to see your name grace the covers.

why dont you send in some stuff Ken, i'd love to see your name grace the covers.

Honestly Ryan, the workload on a book like this is brutal, and the deadlines are unforgiving and tight.

I'm not a young guy anymore and I'd take forever to get a issue done--at least to the level I'd be pleased with. The "fun" level ain't nowhere near the fatigue level.

That's the trouble with putting the money where my mouth is, it costs an awful lot just to prove that point.

Still the fannish notion appeals to me, but I have no delusions about the work.

I'll have to think on this one.

Wow this issue does look pretty awesome. I have all the issues, except for the different covers. ( 1-30 ) I can't wait to get this one, when will it arrive at the stores?

And I know comics art.

--Ken

i agree with everything you said...

as I should add, since the first comics came out....the characters seem to keep getting to look like everyone esle

I couldnt tell if the guy with the beret was Flint or falcon....untill i catched the scarf on his neck!

and the vehicals always did suck IMO

but o well!

watcha gonna do?

GOD DAMN!

Christ on a stick! This looks good. I can't wait! @firedevil@

Christ was on a stick, for everyone, and he got back up, so you all need to have a little respect, saying Gd is not cool.

Now to the issue...

Can't wait, just can't wait, art could be better, but i'm pleased enough, but arrow, i say go for it, maybe not on a regular bassis but if you got skill? use it.

>>Christ was on a stick, for everyone, and he got back up, so you all need to have a little respect, saying Gd is not cool.>>

You know what's cool? Besides ice cream, I mean. Respecting that not everyone believes the way you do, and even if they do, they may not consider it disrespectful to say what they do.

If *you* respect Jesus, then respect his preaching of tolerance, and let others say what they will, and just don't follow along.

And, yeah, the art on GIJoe has sucked since day one. ;)

Personally, I'm more into a cartoony style, like Joe Madureierieiruierieira (however the hell you spell his name), from the Onslaught days of X-Men.

It was bubble, overly simplified, but it *felt* like a comic. Sometimes I get the feeling like the GIJoe comic is supposed to be stills from a live action movie, rotoscoped into artwork. it's not atrocious, but it's certainly not where my tastes lie. I like Ultimate Spiderman, because the character, for the most part, look like comic book characters, and not the closest god damn thing to real as possible.

Now, let the wars begin ;)

To me, style has only one relevance, and that is appeal.

Appeal is defined in comics art as a combination of linework, shapes, forms and design theories working in concert to make a image that looks engaging to the eye.

The gamut of appeal runs from H.R. Giger to Floyd Gottfreson(sp) and then some.

With GIJOE I care less about appeal than I do good drawing, at least.

The environments and vehicles/props are a big part of delivering the punch of the comic--in this case, its part of the storytelling.

My near life-long studies of comics and cartoon art reveal that authenticating REAL objects helps draw the reader into the story and makes things more believable.

Superman can fight Godzilla in the midst of NYC, and it can work, IF NYC is drawn convincingly. The story can be hugely epic if REAL locations are meshed with fantasy situations. The Ultimates is a excellent example of this at work.

For GIJOE, this means a couple of slightly different things.

The "cool" factor of GIJOE isn't in the "reality" of the locations, but in its own mythology. That mythology includes the toy elements in a big way.

because so many of the toys have a realistic near-world look to them, drawing them as "real-world" objects is the key.

Michael Golden (mentioned before) knew this and did it in the GIJOE yearbook #2--IMO, the BEST drawn GIJOE story ever done.

By authenticating those toys as real objects, and drawing weapons correctly, it aids the convincingness of the story--in this case to fit the imagination/play pattern of a kid handling the toys.

This is the linchpin in drawing GIJOE, IMO.

If the story takes place in....Budapest, for example......drawing part of Budapest as it really is is critical too, but NOT as critical as drawing the vehicles and gear featured with the characters because those are the key identifiers with the audience.

Its about the proper window dressing. Standard comics are about people, but war comics are about the hardware AND the people.

Take a peek at Joe Kubert's Sgt Rock--the drawings of Sherman tanks and personal gear is spot on.

This is because Kubert knows his subject.

The guys drawing GIJOE, for the most part, appear to know jack-spit about Spec War.

Case in point: the early Image stories with StormShadow infiltrating the base. The Joes have got him cornered in the mess hall, and they enter-- WITH WEAPONS HELD LOW!!! They know there's a bad guy in the room, yet they all waltz in, and NONE of them has their weapon at least shouldered.

What........the........fook???

Add to it that there will be 11 different looks for a M-16A2 in the SAME issue--and when troops like the Joes would be using M-4's at least.

The claim is that GIJOE is realistic, but its ANYTHING but. There's a opportunity in that case to show the Joe entering the room, weapons at ready and "cutting the pie" ( if you read a bit of Spec War tactics you'll know what that is) clearing their zones until they either spot StormShadow or he drops down from the ceiling on them, and thus showing something MORE authentic and believable.

More believablity=better story. Better story==better comic.

The guys drawing the book ( Image title, at least) seem to be trying for those nice looking pages, rather than really good/clear storytelling.

And its not like info on this stuff is hard to find.

Storytelling ain't easy, btw. ( and it sure as hell ain't dead, Thank you Mr. Liefeld) it requires thinking and research and a LOT more work on a licensed book.

Imagine, if you will a Star Wars , or Star Trek comic where they IGNORE the designs for the ships and locations?? They draw everything as if it were outa the 50's instead of the detailed look the two are known for.

Kinda plummets the whole appeal of the comic, right?

This is the key problem with a book like GIJOE.

I don't care who draws the thing, or what their style is ( cartoony or realistic) as long as they address the needs of a title like this properly.

>>Christ was on a stick, for everyone, and he got back up, so you all need to have a little respect, saying Gd is not cool.>>

You know what's cool? Besides ice cream, I mean. Respecting that not everyone believes the way you do, and even if they do, they may not consider it disrespectful to say what they do.

If *you* respect Jesus, then respect his preaching of tolerance, and let others say what they will, and just don't follow along.

I don't think Jesus preached taking God's name in vain, on a Sunday no less..... @firedevil@

You know what's cool?  Besides ice cream, I mean.  Respecting that not everyone believes the way you do, and even if they do, they may not consider it disrespectful to say what they do.

I don't think Jesus preached taking God's name in vain, on a Sunday no less..... @firedevil@

I will not force anyone to beleive the way I do, i know Christ died for me, but he gave us all free will, iwon't force you, neither will God.

Now what i won't tell is let you use my king's name in vain. It's respect, i don't mock Ali, Zeus, wiccans, whatever.

I am humble, not a doormat, i am tolerant, not complacent.

To me, style has only one relevance, and that is appeal.

Appeal is defined in comics art as a combination of linework, shapes, forms and design theories working in concert to make a image that looks engaging to the eye.

The gamut of appeal runs from H.R. Giger to Floyd Gottfreson(sp) and then some.

With GIJOE I care less about appeal than I do good drawing, at least.

The environments and vehicles/props are a big part of delivering the punch of the comic--in this case, its part of the storytelling.

My near life-long studies of comics and cartoon art reveal that authenticating REAL objects helps draw the reader into the story and makes things more believable.

Superman can fight Godzilla in the midst of NYC, and it can work, IF NYC is drawn convincingly. The story can be hugely epic if REAL locations are meshed with fantasy situations. The Ultimates is a excellent example of this at work.

For GIJOE, this means a couple of slightly different things.

The "cool" factor of GIJOE isn't in the "reality" of the locations, but in its own mythology. That mythology includes the toy elements in a big way.

because so many of the toys have a realistic near-world look to them, drawing them as "real-world" objects is the key.

Michael Golden (mentioned before) knew this and did it in the GIJOE yearbook #2--IMO, the BEST drawn GIJOE story ever done.

By authenticating those toys as real objects, and drawing weapons correctly, it aids the convincingness of the story--in this case to fit the imagination/play pattern of a kid handling the toys.

This is the linchpin in drawing GIJOE, IMO.

If the story takes place in....Budapest, for example......drawing part of Budapest as it really is is critical too, but NOT as critical as drawing the vehicles and gear featured with the characters because those are the key identifiers with the audience.

Its about the proper window dressing. Standard comics are about people, but war comics are about the hardware AND the people.

Take a peek at Joe Kubert's Sgt Rock--the drawings of Sherman tanks and personal gear is spot on.

This is because Kubert knows his subject.

The guys drawing GIJOE, for the most part, appear to know jack-spit about Spec War.

Case in point: the early Image stories with StormShadow infiltrating the base. The Joes have got him cornered in the mess hall, and they enter-- WITH WEAPONS HELD LOW!!! They know there's a bad guy in the room, yet they all waltz in, and NONE of them has their weapon at least shouldered.

What........the........fook???

Add to it that there will be 11 different looks for a M-16A2 in the SAME issue--and when troops like the Joes would be using M-4's at least.

The claim is that GIJOE is realistic, but its ANYTHING but. There's a opportunity in that case to show the Joe entering the room, weapons at ready and "cutting the pie" ( if you read a bit of Spec War tactics you'll know what that is) clearing their zones until they either spot StormShadow or he drops down from the ceiling on them, and thus showing something MORE authentic and believable.

More believablity=better story. Better story==better comic.

The guys drawing the book ( Image title, at least) seem to be trying for those nice looking pages, rather than really good/clear storytelling.

And its not like info on this stuff is hard to find.

Storytelling ain't easy, btw. ( and it sure as hell ain't dead, Thank you Mr. Liefeld) it requires thinking and research and a LOT more work on a licensed book.

Imagine, if you will a Star Wars , or Star Trek comic where they IGNORE the designs for the ships and locations?? They draw everything as if it were outa the 50's instead of the detailed look the two are known for.

Kinda plummets the whole appeal of the comic, right?

This is the key problem with a book like GIJOE.

I don't care who draws the thing, or what their style is ( cartoony or realistic) as long as they address the needs of a title like this properly.

Ah, thank you Ken! You said pretty much what I feel! When I talked to Mark Bright when he was working on the original Joe comic, he said Larry Hama would send him books, blueprints, pictures, ect on all types of weapons and vehicles that were being used in that issue. The one where Snake Eyes parachutes out of the stealth bomber, Mark said Larry sent him a huge photo book on the bomber and marked the pages that Larry thought he would need! That is what is missing from the Joe Comic right now.

Michael Richards

Bulletman Big B

All Hail DOB!!!