I Met C-3po And Darth Vader In The Same Day!!

Devilbat

My brother and I attended the Adventurecon this past Saturday at the Knoxville Expo Center, and David Prowse and Anthony Daniels were there. It wasn't the first time I had attended, and it wasn't the first time a saw any celebrities up close and personal, but it was the first time I actually took the time to meet them and get any pics/autographs. My brother bought a Star Wars Tales comic with Vader on the cover to have David Prowse sign, and I took their picture together. I initially wasn't necessarily interested in getting any pictures taken with anyone or getting anything signed, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that these guys are icons and personally played a role literally in cementing alot of great childhood memories. They were/are actually physically part of the Star Wars magic, and for me to pass up an opportunity to get an autograph or my picture made with one of them...well, I'd probably regret it for the rest of my life. So after I took my brother's picture and came to my profound conclusion, I promptly lined up to see Anthony Daniels. It was funny to see that he would occaisionally leave his table to take pictures and/or have his picture made with some of the costumed attendees there that day; he genuinely seemed to enjoy his attendance there and the convention. And although I know alot if not most celebrities do enjoy the conventions, I've heard some stories about those who necessarliy didn't. And that's unfortunate both for them and admiring fans. But anyway, I kept eyeing the photographs of C-3PO and Anthony Daniels along the table leading up to him, and I was always hesitant to shell out the money for a picture to be signed by a celebrity, but I just thought what the heck; I may never have this opportunity again. What's twenty-five dollars for a picture I'll always be able to look back on in the awe that I met someone this famous? So I bought a glossy 8x10(?) of C-3PO against a blue backdrop to have signed. I finally made my way up to Mr. Daniels, which suprisingly wasn't a very long wait like I had expected, and he was very gracious and friendly. I told him my name, and then as he signed my C-3PO photograph during a brief uncomfortable silence, after searching my brain for something great or interesting to say to this man that only exhisted before in my conciousness as a character on the screen or a voice that I emulated when I played with a C-3PO figure as a child (lol), I mumbled, "I've been a huge fan for a long time, Mr. Daniels.", or something similarly lame, and he replied, "Wonderful. Which of the films are your favorite?" I thought to myself, like a huge Star Wars geek, "Anthony Daniels is initiating a conversation with me?? Wow!!" . And I replied, "Well, actually Attack of the Clones and The Empire Strikes Back are probably my two favorites." And he replied, "Interesting; they draw alot of parallels between each other and both set up the films to follow very well." Then I had my picture taken with him, and as I did with Mr. Prowse, I told him it was a great pleasure to meet him.

I just came back from that convention electrified. Sure, looking back I thought of so many questions for the man that I didn't think to ask, but I have a great signed picture and photo made with a very gracious man that will invoke even greater memories than he already had with his role in Star Wars. Eventually I'd like to get a MOMC Escape from Tantive IV (?) Saga C-3PO to be mounted in a shadow box along with my signatured picture and photo I had made with Mr. Daniels. It'll be probably my most prized collection piece.

P.S. My brother and I came to the realization, for what it's worth, that Vader had been his first vintage figure as a kid, and mine had been C-3PO. Our dad had taken us to town one early Saturday morning, and those were the two figures we bought; our first Star Wars figures ever, and some twent-plus years later, we never dreamed we'd meet the men responsible for these roles respectivley. He had his picture taken with Vader, and I had mine taken with C-3PO. We didn't plan it that way. Honest! (lol)

I met Anthony Daniels back in 2001 at Dragon Con before Episode 2 came out.Very nice guy.

I met David Prowes back in 1995 and 1997 at Dragon Con.An Ok guy.Kind of rude.

Jeremy Bullock back in 1997 Dragon con.Very cool guy.

Billy Dee Williams at the Star Wars celebration in Indy he Didn't talk much.

The woman who play Arrua Singat Dragon Con.A very good looking babe.very nice.

That was my Star Wars celeb experense.

DragonCon '96(?) was my first 'real' convention. I went, expecting Mark Hamill, Dave Prowse and a better selection of toys; imagine my surprise when I discovered Jeremy Bullock was there. I think I had brought POTF2 Luke and Vader; then I went looking for a POTF2 Fett and got in line asap ;). When I was younger, I met Adam West at an auto show; but,this time I was fully able to appreciate meeting my favorite 'charaters' While in line, I was able to check out some 'behind the masks' group photos, replica helmets, and stand-ups. Before I knew it, it was over, but, I have the signed fig and a photo to remind me. While I also got to met Prowse, Steve Sansweet (who both spoke before hand), and Richard Hatch (Battlestar Galctica), the 'surprise' apparance of "Boba Fett" will always stand out.

Unfortunately, I missed out on Hamill, who was apparently only there to promote Wing Commander, and according to rumor, wasn't allowed to sign any SW items. :(

I do envy you though, DB, I would love to see any of the live/voice SW actors <_>

Hey I know your feeling.I went to Dragoncon back in 1996 as well.There was a lot of miscommuntication with that in my opinion.I see a kid with a Star Wars Comic Book with a bunch of signatures on it.I think I see Mark Hamill Atugraph on it.I asked the kid's father how he got the autograph.I think he slipped it in while mark was signing the Wingcommander stuff.I went to the 1997 dragoncon and I was waiting in line to get Jeremy Bullocks autograph and I stuck up a conversation with a guy waiting in line.He told me he was able to get Mark Hamills Autograph on some star wars stuff as well.There was a lot of BS with the Wincommander only stuff.