Lars Didn't Play Donnington Download Fest.

Tank-Girl

Slayer's Dave Lombardo and Slipknot's Joey Jordison stood in for the absent Lars Ulrich - the rumours are flying as to what exactly happened. Reports range from the band c-founder being hospitalised, to being on a plane that was diverted due to a medical emergency to the allegation that he was to drunk to play.

No official statement has yet been made.

LAUNCH Radio Networks

Metallica (news - web sites) drummer Lars Ulrich has reportedly been hospitalized in Zurich, Switzerland, with an undisclosed ailment, forcing him to miss the band's performance Sunday (June 6) at the Download Festival in England. Slipknot's Joey Jordison and Slayer's Dave Lombardo filled in for Ulrich, literally at the last minute, as Metallica reportedly sought volunteers from other bands backstage. No other information was available at press time about Ulrich's condition.

According to reports online, Metallica arrived onstage a half hour late. Frontman James Hetfield, guitarist Kirk Hammett, and bassist Robert Trujillo came to the front of the stage, where Hetfield announced, "Unfortunately our drummer, Lars, is in the hospital. We don't know what's wrong, but we wish him all the best. Some friends of ours are gonna help us out, so we're going to make rock history tonight!"

Lombardo performed the first two songs of the band's abbreviated, 11-song set, with Jordison taking over on the third number of the show.

Ulrich's longtime drum tech, Flemming, stepped in for song number six, "Fade To Black," before Jordison came back for the rest of the set, delivering what Virtual Festival called a "truly legendary performance." Although plans were initially made for several other drummers to join the band onstage, Jordison never left from the seventh song onward.

Metallica set list from the Download Festival:

"Battery" w/ Dave Lombardo from Slayer

"The Four Horsemen" w/ Dave Lombardo from Slayer

"For Whom The Bell Tolls" w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

"Creeping Death" w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

"Seek And Destroy" w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

"Fade To Black" w/ Flemming (Lars' Drum Tech)

"Wherever I May Roam" w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

"Last Caress" w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

"Sad But True" w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

"Nothing Else Matters" w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

"Enter Sandman" w/ Joey Jordison from Slipknot

AWWWW!

Hope he is ok.

Can't wait to hear download on the radio tonight.

I lost a lot of respect for Lars and Metallica after they started suing everybody. Its one thing to sue cause someone has done them harm and cause them too lose money but come on, most of their lawsuits have been over petty things except for napster I guess but still.

Maybe I should sue them for putting out crappy records over the last 10 years.

I lost a lot of respect for Lars and Metallica after they started suing everybody. Its one thing to sue cause someone has done them harm and cause them too lose money but come on, most of their lawsuits have been over petty things except for napster I guess but still.

Maybe I should sue them for putting out crappy records over the last 10 years.

I don't care about who they sued and what for, I like their music. For you to say that they have put out crappy records for the past ten years is unbelievable!

Axl rose is a d**k and yet people including me love gnr. So what that metallica sue (and might i add that it was all lars and not the others) i'm not interested in the business side of bands i'm their for the music and also in metallicas case the band members. Load and reload have never sounded better. I too hated them when they were realeased but today they sound awesome. They were to advanced for their time. St.anger whoever is great when watching the dvd or seeing/hearing live but the album changes for me depending on what mood im in. Still better than most the trash coming out today. Metallica are awesome, every band have bad songs, albums, eras etc

Official word from Lars on metallica.com via a video clipping is that during the flight to England he suffered with exhaustion and i presume had a attack for half an hour. He decided it would be best to get it checked out so went to hospital. Lars hasn't missed a gig in 23 years. Here's to Lars' health @drink@

For you to say that they have put out crappy records for the past ten years is unbelievable!

Ever since the Black Album Metallica has gone down hill. Not only do I feel like this but a lot of old school Metallica fans feel the same way. The magic that they had (w/Cliff) during the early 80's when I started listening to them is no longer there.

Load and ReLoad both stunk, S&M stunk, the cheap imitation of Garage Days was garbage, and St. Anger is by far the worse. So to me, in those last albums since Black has been released is total crap. If you like them fine, I'm not putting you down for liking it.

Me personally, the musicianship that Metallica had up to And Justice for All is no longer there. Its all been radio friendly Rock and Roll. What metal Metallica had, died after ...And Justice for All.

But again these are just my opinions and it shouldnt matter anyway. You like them fine, I don't.

Wow, poor lars, I hope he's alright!!! Take care man!!!

I love lars, He's been my inspiration for drumming since the first day I picked up a pair of drum sticks 8 years ago. I got his back till the day I die!

metallic is the greatest metal band of all times. St. Anger wasn't the greatest album, but that's what ya get when they made most of the album without James and a real bass player @loll@ Its still got some good riffs, and their next album will be back on track, I gaurantee ;)

I like the new stuff just as much as the old stuff. Its different, but the music quality is still there. heck, I can'teven play most of the new stuff on the guitar, mean while I can play almost all the main riffs and a couple solo's from their old stuff.

Metallica Forever!!!! @notworthy@

Wow, poor lars, I hope he's alright!!! Take care man!!!

I love lars, He's been my inspiration for drumming since the first day I picked up a pair of drum sticks 8 years ago. I got his back till the day I die!

metallic is the greatest metal band of all times. St. Anger wasn't the greatest album, but that's what ya get when they made most of the album without James and a real bass player @loll@ Its still got some good riffs, and their next album will be back on track, I gaurantee ;)

I like the new stuff just as much as the old stuff. Its different, but the music quality is still there. heck, I can'teven play most of the new stuff on the guitar, mean while I can play almost all the main riffs and a couple solo's from their old stuff.

Metallica Forever!!!! @notworthy@

Metallica rock!

Cool CD!!!

As Matt said, I really do think that they are to advanced for their time. In a couple of years the St.Anger album will be like the load and reload albums are today - sound brilliant.

If i had a choice of kea,rtl,mop,ajfa or m,l,r,s i'd definatly pick the first 4 although i love all metallica albums. Sometimes load reload and st.anger don't sound that great but just lately i have had days where the first 4 don't sound that great. Garage inc was good and at the same time i thought could have been a lot better. S+M is brilliant including -human and no leaf clover. I disappear for mission impossible 2 was ok but not true metallica. One thing i like about metallica songs is that they suit every mood as each album is different. Metallica forever! Nearlly ever rock fan likes at least one metallica song.

METALLICA IS AMAZING!! I love all of their albums. @band@ I went to see them in Roanoke, VA in April, and it was the best day of my life. Can't wait to see them in DC in Oct.!!! @band@ And Lars is fine, but he scared me for a couple of days there. Glad to see him back!! ROCK ON LARS!!! @band@

I saw them in Hamilton, I think 1996? or 94, I can't remember, it was sometime around there, after the load album came out. They are an amazing band!! their performance is always awesome. Unlike many bands, they can play and sing perfectly just like their albums, unlike some craptatistic bands. coughourladypeacecough... I'd never go see them live.

Lars is my Hero @firedevil@

larsja_2.jpg

YAY for Metallica! @peace@

I'll never forget the time me and Sith went to see them at Milton Keynes superbowl 1999. I was ill with sun-stroke but i loved every minute of what i saw.

It is true CD, they can play brilliantly live.

I love One live with all the fireworks and stuff. It's amazing.

Another good thing about metallica is that they play for 2 1/2 hours. Well worth the ticket money!

I keep having real wierd things happening to me today. It was five years ago to the day when we went to milton keynes! I didn't know when i posted earlier.

I wish we could go back to that day deb it was great! I want to see metallica again so much!