Ideas For A New Series?

KamenDreda

Okay... I will take Brian Langlois' advice and rather than focus my energies on hoping for the cancellation of enterprise, I will focus on hoping for a new series.

I personally feel that Star Trek is about the advancement of human kind so I would not want to see any more series based in a time frame before the last episode of Voyager. There are a couple of options I could go for.

Option 1 -

It has been what...3 years since the end of Voyager? I think a new series should start up real time after the events of the last episode of voyager. With all the technilogical advancements that could be developed from Voyager's research (Slipstream technology, Nanoprobes, the shuttle craft from the future's oblative hull armor, borg technology) it would be a new universe for starfleet. The ability to cross the Galaxy in a matter of months would make the galaxy a much smaller place. It would be interesting to see the ENTIRE galaxy fleshed out.

I think because of the cooperation between the alpha quadrant superpowers during the Dominion war, the Federation, the Klingon Empire, and the Romulan Empire would form a new Alliance and combine in to a very large confederation.

The basis for the series could be a New class of ship built jointly with the federation, klingons and romulans, goes about exploring new areas of the Galaxy never befor visited.

Option 2 -

Go several decades (or even centuries) in to the future.... like the jump from classic to TNG. All the players would be the same but maybe many things are not like they used to be. Maybe the Cardassian Union has rebuilt and is now completly friendly with its neighbors. Maybe the Klingons are no longer warriors but a peaceful gentle race. Maybe the Vulcans and Romulans have finally reunited and are now a feirce deadly enemy. Maybe the Federation is no more and a group of Section 31 left overs are trying to regain the glory that was once the Federation. I don't know... just some ideas.

This could be a Mirror Universe type place. Maybe a crew from the current time line (Voyager's) is hurtled in to the future and everything is completly not what anyone would have hoped. The purpose of the show could be the ship's crew trying (in vain) to find a way back to their "present time frame" to fix the mistakes.

Just a thought

What do you think?

Personally, I would like to see a series set in the movie era. A small cruiser protecting an outlying region, or doing espionage against the Klingons (play up the Cold War feel of the Federation-Klingon relations during the films).

I also like the idea of setting it in the future where things are a lot different (perhaps a split Federation after a coup).

Either way, I feel that Star Trek needs a healthy break before a new project is done (think of the time lag between the end of the original series and the first film, and the several years it took to make TNG)

I would like to see a series based in the original movie era as well. The style and designs don't seem as boring as all of the later ones. Make it an Excellcior class ship, and call it the Excaliber. Make this ship and crew Special Ops, or SEALs, and make it hard hitting action.

In this time period, the Federation and the Klingons have just made peace, but we know full well not all Klingons care about peace treadies. The possibilities are endless.

I guess I am in the minority then. About not going BACKWARDS in time. I have to admit, the Classic MOVIE uniforms were proabably the coolest but I have no desire to see a series set in that time frame.

Man! All these ideas are great!

I always wanted a show about the U.S.S. Titan which has Riker! :)

Also the Sulu on Excelsior would be great!

Also the Sulu on Excelsior would be great two because Riker was in Command in the Excelsior for some time!

Riker was in command of the Excelsior???

I would not want to see another series.

Star Trek is very stale as a franchise and its not doing well because of that.

If it came down to it, I'd like to see a few 3-6 episode minseries, set in the Star Trek Universe--but NOT staying on any one cast or premise.

An example might be a a team sent to explore the Guardian of Forever and stumbling on something nasty therein.

Or a political intrique thing, or perhaps revisiting Gary Seven in some way.

I'd like to see stuff outisde of the main Trek themes, or at least different takes on them.

For example....a wrecked Federation storyline.....where the mystery of who did it and where all the people went is the main thrust. The underlying tones of distant hope and promise can remain, but different avenues yet unexplored can be tackled.

Voyager put the kibosh on a grand story idea of mine from years ago--a deliberate Federation mission to circumnavigate the Galaxy in a multi-generational starship--a big loop de loop.

The ship encounter storylines have been exhausted--they are all variations on tired themes.

I'd rather there be some big story affecting something we already know--Earth Falling to some mysterious foe or somesuch and the rest of the Federation having to deal with that.

There are stories, but , IMO, they'd need a different approach.

Also the Sulu on Excelsior would be great two because Riker was in Command in the Excelsior for some time!

Riker was in command of the Excelsior???

O, my bad! @grumpy@

I was going to say something else about a show that would be cool with Riker in it but I put it wrong! No Riker was never in command of the Excelsior!

Sorry about that guys! :wacko:

O hey and KamenDreda, the idea about Continuing where Voyager left off is a really great idea!

I would love to see a show like that!

How about a Trek series set in a far future time where a mysterious enemy race more powerful than even the Borg sets it's sights to destroy the United Federation of Planets. World by world, starbase by starbase the dark enemy strikes until it is all brought to Earth. Earth becomes one of the casualties by being blown to smithereens. The Federation is completely shattered. The show could focus on one lone remaining Federation starship and it's crew as they search for the few remaining remenants of the Federation in hope to band together and find a way to defeat this dark enemy race before they make conquest of the galaxy and the entire universe.

I just like the idea of a Starfleet vessel and it's crew out by themselves not knowing if the Federation truly still exists or not and they would only have themselves to depend on. By this future time Starfleet could have established star fighter squadrons much more efficent than shuttle craft in battle . For some reason I have always wanted to see star fighter battles in a Trek show. Those battles are way better than seeing slow moving shuttles take on enemy ships. I guess I've seen too much Star Wars and classic Battle Star Galactica.

How about a Trek series set in a far future time where a mysterious enemy race more powerful than even the Borg  sets it's sights to destroy the United Federation of Planets.      World by world, starbase by starbase the dark enemy strikes until it is all brought to Earth.      Earth becomes one of the casualties by being blown to smithereens.          The Federation is completely shattered.          The show could focus on one lone remaining Federation starship and it's crew as they search for the few remaining remenants of the Federation in hope to band together and  find a way to defeat this dark enemy race before they make conquest of the galaxy and the entire universe.

I just like the idea of a Starfleet vessel and it's crew out by themselves not knowing if the Federation truly still exists or not and they would only have themselves to depend on.              By this future time Starfleet could have established star fighter squadrons  much more efficent than shuttle craft in battle .            For some reason I have always wanted to see star fighter battles in a Trek show.    Those battles are way better than seeing slow moving shuttles  take on enemy ships.    I guess I've seen too much Star Wars and classic Battle Star Galactica.

Hey Hordak! That is a great idea!

It can be an enemy that no other species knew or ever heard about!

Cool Show that would make! :)

How about a Trek series set in a far future time where a mysterious enemy race more powerful than even the Borg   sets it's sights to destroy the United Federation of Planets.      World by world, starbase by starbase the dark enemy strikes until it is all brought to Earth.       Earth becomes one of the casualties by being blown to smithereens.           The Federation is completely shattered.           The show could focus on one lone remaining Federation starship and it's crew as they search for the few remaining remenants of the Federation in hope to band together and  find a way to defeat this dark enemy race before they make conquest of the galaxy and the entire universe.

I just like the idea of a Starfleet vessel and it's crew out by themselves not knowing if the Federation truly still exists or not and they would only have themselves to depend on.              By this future time Starfleet could have established star fighter squadrons  much more efficent than shuttle craft in battle .            For some reason I have always wanted to see star fighter battles in a Trek show.     Those battles are way better than seeing slow moving shuttles  take on enemy ships.    I guess I've seen too much Star Wars and classic Battle Star Galactica.

Hey Hordak! That is a great idea!

It can be an enemy that no other species knew or ever heard about!

Cool Show that would make! :)

Not to crap in anyone's cornflakes, but isn't that pretty much the premise of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda? 1 lone ship trying to rebuild the great alliance or something?

You must mean the Commonwealth. If I recall right I think Captain Hunt and the crew of the Andromeda have already helped bring back factions of the Commonwealth. That show is focusing more on the Abyss and the Route of Ages, a gateway to multiple universes, more now.

The idea I mentioned would be completely different. The crew of the lone Starfleet ship would be fighting against just one evil race even more powerful than themselves and their ship. In Andromeda that ship is practically invulnerable. Usually in anything Trek the ships aren't that powerful.

I want a show where Thomas Riker escapes from the Cardassian camp, Steals Admiral Jelico's private transport and cruises the galaxy as a crusading Anti-Hero, righting the wrongs the Prime Directive won't touch. He's out to prove his worth to Starfleet, his brother and himself.

Okay, here's a Trek-centric stroy that I've had in my back-pocket for years now.

Its steeped in Star Trek lore so you have to know the show from waaay back, but it also can address other things.

I conceived this as a game story for the old FASA Star Trek RPG board game.

Years ago--during TOS, a entity known as Sargon had a run-in with Kirk and co.. The entity and his pals vanished off into the beyond, but they did so on good terms.

A line in scripts says they have knowledge and technological wisdom that "could make warp drive engines the size of walnuts".

Before Sargon departs, he blows the Enterprise a "little kiss"--deposits some very interesting info into the ships computer.

The info, stays they, unknown until the refitjust before ST: TMP--where its discovered.

But its scares the begeezus outa Starfleet.

Amongst it is a set of schematics to "grow" a Starship. Something alive.

Strfleet doesn't like the idea of self-aware starships flitting around( just yet), so they create a special "area 51" for this project, and others like it.

Its called Section 31.

So, even as far back as ST:TMP there was this secret sub-unit doing ( back then) clandestine research.

And one day perhaps in the Next Gen years, someone looks closely at the plans, .......a little too closely, and the data acts like a virus and "breaks out" of its computer program "holding cell".

The virus makes its way into a variety of gear and starts to build this living ship.

And it does.

Now the story steps back to TOS--for two things:

One is a grand mystery and another is a fellow name of Gary Seven.

The grand mystery is this:

Earth.

Huh?

Wait a minute, not just our earth, but the "other" Earths.

Yea, the OTHER Earths.

The planet of the Coms and the Yangs, Miri's world....and another one that starts the ball rolling on this mystery.

The whole line about "parallel development" is a red-herring--something told to quiet the inquisitive.

Take a map of the Galaxy.

Put our Earth at the six o clock spot.

But the other two mentioned at the same radial distance from galactic centre and then at the 7 and 5 o clock positions.

On a whim a mission is sent to where the 4 and 8 o clock positions are and......you guessed it.......Earth-type worlds with the same continental configuration--exact duplicates.

Thus the mystery........ what up with this?

The folks from Gary Seven's world are involved--turns out they are investigating this too--its what their whole mission has always been about. Why is Earth so important in the scheme of things.

And it relates, they've learned, somehow, to the Great Barrier that surround our entire Galaxy.

One day, say just after the latest Trek movie--that barrier vanishes in a effect that EVERYONE in the galaxy sees. Its an event on a scale never before seen in the memory of any world.

Its gets noticed and things that get noticed get attention applied to them.

Flash forward to 3 years after the latest Trek whatever and Starfleet is going to get to the bottom of this mystery. The people from Gary Seven's world have partially revealed themselves and they are helping spearhead this mission with this "living" starship that's been held under wraps for god-knows-how-long-now.

The catch here is, the ship PICKS its crew--and some of the folks that get on it don't want to be there-- and a few are brought along that the ship objects to.

Add to it that there's some gnawing urgency about why the barrier collapsed and that it used to keep something out. Or something in.

A pity we'll never seen anything like this.

Ah, who am I kidding, its probably a GOOD thing we never will.

--Ken

Awsome idea arrow, but that would make a great novel, or miniseries, i'm not sure about a series though, or even in star trek, too drasticly changing the world.

Andromeda was the way to go, and that direction might still ulitmately be the best.

Riker on titan as the federation collopses or as they get a brand new engine and explore everything.

Academy is a good idea as well

whatever happens, i think we need to go into the future with the series, but we need at least a 5 year break, and a familiar face to start of a new series.