(1) Omega Prime Vs. (8) G1 Starscream

TheCasualOblivion

BEST TRANSFORMER EVER #45  

30 members have voted

1. 1. BEST TRANSFORMER EVER #45

• Omega Prime
    • G1 Starscream

Omega Prime seems vulnerable. It lost a surprising amount of votes to Spy Streak in round 1, it doesn't really have a vehicle mode, and RiD Optimus Prime lost badly this round to G1 Soundwave. We have another absolutely beloved G1 character here in Starscream, though not quite the toy Soundwave is. Especially with all the reissuing, all of the different versions to collect these days in ghost, anime, original, Hasbro, Black, Robotmasters, and my personal favorite, Takara DW Starscream with Megatron Gun could make Starscream an interesting opponent for what has to be the marquee figure of Robots in Disguise.

Recap of round 1: (1) Omega Prime over (16) Spy Streak in a somewhat weak 24-10 victory over a Machine Wars figure, (8) G1 Starscream over (9) BW Rampage in a 25-13 win over one of the very best Beast Wars figures.

Here are some pics:

Omega Prime

omegaprime1.jpg

more: http://unicron.us/tf2001/toypics/ultramagnus.htm

Starscream

starscream03.jpg

more: http://tfkenkon.com/collection/part5/act103/index.php

the full bracket can be viewed here:

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?tid=...d=64868&tclass=

the next three matches up until the end of round 2 are:

(4) Energon Landmine vs. (5) God Ginrai

(3) Devastator vs. (6) Tigerhawk

(2) Predaking vs. (7) Alternators Sideswipe

Starscream was the true star of the orignal cartoon. He was one of my favorite Transformers as a kid and my favorite of the seekers even before I saw the cartoon. I had my choice of buying any of the three when I was 8 years old and they were brand new and the show hadn't come out yet, and I chose Starscream because I liked it best. Then 2003 comes along and Takara Collection Starscream in anime deco with a MEGATRON GUN STARSCREAM CAN HOLD!! I'm just in heaven.

***added after original post:

Just thought I'd add this. I really like the Jet mode on Starscream. I remember when I picked up my pre-dreamwave Takara reissue 2 years ago, and holding the jet in my hand. It is just the perfect size, and it looks right, and is just the right weight to feel good held in your hand. Jet mode is IMHO what truly makes Starscream a great figure

Sorry RiD fans, my choice is made.

Even outnumbered two to one, Screamer still comes out on top. Individually, RiD Prime and Ultra Magnus are excellent and complex figures and, when combined, are a hell of a force to be reckoned with, but they still pale in comparison to IMO one of the best TFs ever. Starscream's design is just superb in all respects.

... and of course I feel that Omega Prime shouldn't be here because one of the figures was listed on his own.

It is sort of a lopsided challenge, I agree, but it only goes to show how popular Starscream is, I guess. Hard to beat the Screamer. My guess is that he'll make it all the way to the final round.

Wow, no love for RiD here, not in this poll, not in this contest. Only one RiD toy is going to round 3, and thats a Gen 2 repaint. I would have expected this to be the signature figure of RiD, guess not.

Well, there's a lot of love for G1 here I guess. Not from me though - I voted Omega Prime. RiD is/was, IMO, the exactly perfect update to the G1 style. (Speaking strictly on the new molds, of course.) Alternators take that place now, but given the size and cost, they could never be the flagship line like RiD was. I love the G1 seekers for what they were, but compared to something so much more articulated and loaded w/ additional play value like Omega Prime, I really don't understand how lopsided this contest is.