Superman 204

pogoman

I got this book today and I felt that it didn't deliver like Batman 608 did. I guess I like how Lee draws Batman better than Superman.

The writing was also a bit...confusing(?) Batman was such a brisk, yet direct read. However this is still the first issue so we'll see..

I didn't like Azzarello's take on Batman, I hope he does a better job with Superman.

I saw it, flipped through it , and passed. Picked up GI Joe reloaded #2 and Star Wars empire though ^_^

I got the new Flash, Transformers 4 and the new Batman (Judd Winick takes over)

Transformers...the art is amazing.

The new Batman: wayyyyyyy better than Azarello and Risso's run.

The Flash: great read.

man I wish I still read comics like I used to. I used to read almost all DC titles, then one day I had so many boxes full of comics that I got tires of seeing them all and tossed them all in the garbage. you guys would get mad at me if I told ya exactly how many comics I tossed and some of the stuff that was in the boxes. I still get an urge to buy them from time to time when I see a bitchin cover. lately I have been buying Superman/Batman for reasons unknown even to me. @hmmm@ I still haven't read the last 3 issues, I just get them, bag n board em and they sit on my bookcase.

Blast! I also forgot when this was coming out. I meant to reserve it; but, I forgot. I'll have to keep my eyes open at the book store (or wait for the tpb :-/) I used to be on top of these types of things; now, I feel so out of the loop.

• 2 weeks later...

It was okay. I like the current Superman/Batman storyline more at the moment, but I'll give it a few more issues before I pass judgement.

Personally, I liked the start to this new run of Superman quite a bit. It was solid. I'm not entirely sure it's enough to get me to stick with it all the way through, but it's enough to get me to pick up the next issue and see where it goes.

Between this, Secret Identity, Red Son and Birthright, I've been checking out a fair bit of Superman lately. Surprising, given that I've never been a fan of the character, really.

Somebody must be doing something right over at the DC offices. ;)

I finally picked up #204 tonight, did anything happen in the issue(s) before that I might need to know about, or did it jump right in as is? Obviously, I don't follow the book that much, and I was just curious what (if anything) led up to this issue.

Thanks. :) @supes@

I finally picked up #204 tonight, did anything happen in the issue(s) before that I might need to know about, or did it jump right in as is? Obviously, I don't follow the book that much, and I was just curious what (if anything) led up to this issue.

Thanks. :) @supes@

Nah, you're all set. Azzarello and Lee and telling a self-contained, twelve issue story.

Thanks NMX,

I assumed (/hoped) that was the case; just wanted to double check. Now, i just hope I can get all 12 issues. <_>

If getting the issues is a problem, DC will more than likely do the same hardcover/trade paperback collections afterwards that they did/are doing for Lee's Batman run.

This story is pretty dry so far. I do like the art though. I never follow Supes so someone is going to have to help me out here. This "vanishing" or whatever its called where the people disappear...wasn't mentioned in previous issues...just this arc?

This is a brand new story. So if you picked up 204 and 205 then you are as clueless and confused as everyone else out there.

The art is nice, but so was Thundercats and the story reeked like poop on a hot sidewalk.

Batman/Superman is much better IMO so far.

I've read just the Batman title for a very long time, but over

the last year or so I have branched out into other DC titles. Over

the weekend I was buying a ton of DC backissues and as an

incentive the shop owner gave me Superman 204 and 205.

While the art is very nice, I'm not digging the story at all.

Personally I think my problem might be that I'm just not a

Superman fan, however I do really enjoy the Superman/Batman

book. I don't think I'm gonna stick with the whole arc, however

if does turn out to be good there is always a trade format.

Achates, this Jim Lee run on superman is lame. period.

You will find some awesome superman stories by Jeph Loeb and McGuiness on their Superman/Batman run. Check them out, they are much better than this Azzarello run.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up and read part 3 (note: I didn't buy it) and that sh*t sucked once again. The villian was a stupid doomsday/authority rip off. The art...yeah, but who cares!

Jim Lee is aware of the fan feedback, on a recent interview he said things will pick up later on. Damn Jim, by when? part 10?

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a real disappointment so far. I've loved Jim Lee since the X-men days, but I think Azzarello is writing such crap that even Lee can't save it.

It's been a real disappointment so far. I've loved Jim Lee since the X-men days, but I think Azzarello is writing such crap that even Lee can't save it.

Oh, yeah - I was anticipating this so much that I picked up Superman 203 (which had a Jim Lee sketch book preview). It was part 6 of a 6 issue stint that Michael Turner and Talent Caldwell did in TWO MONTHS! Anyway, the art was so beautiful that I picked up the rest (Action Comics #812, Adventures of Superman #625, Superman #202, Action Comics #813, and Adventures of Superman #626) and the story and art blew me away. It was the best stuff I've read in a long while (and I've never collected Superman before this). So for Lee/Azarello to be following this makes it that much more glaringly bad.

I agree.

The Caldwell run (Turner's covers) was great and the art had a nice pace along with the writing.

Too bad for Lee, he was having such a great comeback with batman. Hopefully the Hush 2 reunion of Loeb and Lee will not be that far away.