Does Anyone Know What J Scott Campbell Is Up To???

Darthmaul33

Being an artist myself, I always like to follow certain artists in order to gain inspiration. But, one certain artist that always puzzles me is Scott Campbell...where is he and what is he up to? Anyone know???

He's exclusive to DC for the next while, last I heard (it was announced at one of the last few big conventions). I forget how long the contract was said to be for, but since these deals usually go for at least a couple of years, I'd assume he's still with them. That said, he hasn't actually produced any work for them since signing. It's been said that he would sooner or later be doing something for their Wildstorm imprint (perhaps developing a series, rumor has it).

The last mainstream work he actually did (to the best of knowledge) are those covers for Amazing Spider-Man a while back. Though his Danger Girl series is still in circulation and likely doing well on the collected market, so it's not like he needs to work all that hard right now, I guess.

Anywho, that's everything I've got on Campbell for the time being.

Thanks for the info! It's weird but, how in the hell is he able to survive by not being consistent it seems as an artist??? I am sure he just does large commissions and lives off of them. From what I have also heard, is that he has a kid now, and so that has been keeping him busy.

how in the hell is he able to survive by not being consistent it seems as an artist?

Well, he was a part of the "party years" at Image, when pretty much everybody in all of the company's various studios was taking home a rather large chunk of change. Campbell was the artist responsible for making Gen13 a runaway success, and I'm sure he was well compensated for his work. If he was let in on Wildstorm's liscensing of Gen13 (action figures, an animated movie, etc) then he would have made even more.

Danger Girl was quite the success as well, and that was all Campbell's. So for this one the liscensing profits are his and are very likely still strong today.

Combine all of that with the fact that Campbell still does commission work and it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he barely needed to work at all anymore.

And we're still not even including whatever he might be making on his exclusive DC deal.

Of course, this is all just speculation on my part now. He could be dirt poor for all I know.

You are right. If he were dirt poor though, I think he'd be doing a more steady run on a series, know what I mean? But like you said, since he is doing stuff here and there, maybe he is being well compensated. His days back in IMAGE were great, and so was his Danger Girl stuff. Hey, do you remember that team he came up with in that Wildstorm book that came out like 9-10 years ago?

Hey, do you remember that team he came up with in that Wildstorm book that came out like 9-10 years ago?

Which one? Wildstorm put out so many generic team books that they start to blur into eachother.

Wildcats eventually (with the second and third volumes) evolved into my favorite title.

Stormwatch became a standard setting work in the superhero market after Ellis took over, leading to The Authority, which set the standard yet again.

Other than that, I haven't retained all that much memory of the early Wildstorm universe.

I read somewhere he was doing a Danger Girl one shot (inside art, not just covers)

Hadn't read that, but returning to his old Cliffhanger book would count as doing something for Wildstorm. So hey, maybe.

• 2 weeks later...