G1 Episode Review Of The Week

Rodimus Primal

Now that the Ultimate Doom story arc is over, its time for cleanup. ANd that's exactly how this episode starts. After all the destruction caused in the wake of Cybertron being in Earth's orbit, the Autobots take the time to repair the Earth. The Decepticons are doing the same thing with their own base. In the midst of arguing, Megatron returns to break up the fighting. His first order of business is finding Dr Acheville, but he left with Starscream. Laserbeak reports that they are headed for the good doctor's lab. The Decepticons then leave to head there. THe Autobots get Teletran-1 operational again to find Megatron in the air doing something. Optimus Prime orders the Autobots to pursue. Starscream arrives at the doctors lab and connects a timer to Acheville's Exponetial Generator that will make the Earth explode in 8 hours. He then takes Dr. Acheville to Cybertron. MEgatron tries to stop the Autobots only to slow them down. When Starscream arrives on Cybertron he tells Shockwave to stop attempting to contact Megatron and Dr Acheville gets some "shock therapy." In another attempt to doom the Autobots, Megatron leads them into a trap of quicksand and then heads for the lab. Ironhide gets them free with super cool nitrogen. THey then head for Acheville's lab. Megatron arrives only to gaze at the generator. THe Autobots arrive and duke it out. Optimus and MEgatron battle inside the lab until Shockwave finally contacts Megs. He tells him of the timer, and Optimus and MEgs look for it. Megs finds it and destroys it and then proceeds to take the generator. Starscream worried about why the Earth didn't explode leaves Cybertron to find out why. Optimus and MEgs realize the generator is going to explode and blast it into the sky. It hits Starscream, who crashes on Earth, only to have MEgatron waiting for him. The Autobots then go home.

It didn't realize how simple the plot was until re-watching it now. At least we to see the aftermath of Ultimate Doom.

Some tidbits to point out:

-While the Autobots are repairing the Earth, Gears is miscolored as Brawn while handing Brawn a piece of slab.

-When Megatron returns and talks about Dr. Acheville, Thundercracker is talking, but its coming from Skywarp.

-When the Decepticons are in the good doctor's lab, Skywarp is talking but its coming from THundercracker.

-Starscream should have been destroyed if the exponential generator exploded near him. But its a kids cartoon.

-For the first time we see Optimus use Megatron in gun mode-the real highlight of the episode.

The one thing that surprised me with this episode was how much a wimp Shockwave was. He could of transformed into his gun cannon and blew away Starscream for being disloyal. But he wimped out by a single laser blast by him. @grumpy@

This was the episode that got me liking Starscream. What he did to Dr.A would never make it into today's cartoons. Diabolical mutualation definatly raises red flags nowadays.

Favorite line: Rumble"You and what army, you nazi turkey!" @loll@

...Did he seriously say Nazi Turkey? LOL @loll@

Another thing about this episode , this is the last we see of Dr.A. Starscream did a doozy of a operation on him, but then what? Is he still alive on Cybertron. Does Shockwave run over and kick him when things get frustrating. I wonder. @hmmm@

He becomes Shockwave's kicking toy. LOL. We never see him again, but it does make you wonder. I also noticed he was stuck in a wheelchair. Being we never see him again, I think he dies from lack of food and water.

I really liked this episode, and I liked it much better than the previous 3-parter. My favorite part has to be the beginning with the decepticons fighting amongst themselves. That's a great scene1 And Frenzy makes and appearance. Also, you can't beat Dr. Acheville's password for his secret lab! Just one question: When the autobots play Laserbeak in Jazz, how do they know where the Lab is.

I think overall this episdoe is worthwhile for 2 reasons:

1) Optimus uses Megs in gun mode

2) G1 + a 4 episode continuity is a good (and rare) thing

I wasn't a fan of this ep too much as a follow-up to the Ultimate Doom - it wasn't horrendous, but it could have been better. I'm glad we never saw Dr. Archevil after because he annoyed me so much

• 18 years later...