New Baroness And Alpine Figures Reviewed

ssdsus

......as usual,,a very pinpoint review,,,,,and not to beat a dead horse,,,,,1. alpine's head is WAY to friggin small,,,i know you talked about it,but still...also and though it was alluded to,2.,,,the baroness's freakin' shoulders are HUGE!!! and she looks like sandra bulluck [or however you spell her name].....o.k,...feelin' better now.....

...Alpine is climbing mountains looking for Cobra dressed like the model on the cover of an LL Bean catalogue...

@loll@

Best quote from the whole review. @lol@

I was readin those reviews and man, you two are hard to please... I mean really be glad for what you get, good reviews though

We should be glad to be getting inferior products?

Personally, I'm withholding judgement on Wave 2 until I see it in person, though I will probably get most of them anyway.

I was readin those reviews and man, you two are hard to please... I mean really be glad for what you get, good reviews though

Personally, I'm withholding judgement on Wave 2 until I see it in person, though I will probably get most of them anyway.

I dont mind the new guys at all , Calling something inferior because of its colors or looking gay (Which i dont see) or because shoulders are slightly bigger than what you want is just being anal, Be glad there still making gijoes for us fans. There not going to make figures to fit every single persons needs. True action features and T crotches are indeed very stupid but you just gotta deal with it. Ya gotta see, when a company makes toys they make them for kids, who dont care about stuff like t crotches... True collectors like us buy these toys also and for all i know we buy them more than little kids. But companies aim for young crowds. Watch any toy commercial, in it there are little kids happily playing with the toys, Not grown men. Main Point: Be happy you get the toys

Im not trying to piss anyone off, im just trying to make a point.

I dont mind the new guys at all , Calling something inferior because of its colors or looking gay (Which i dont see) or because shoulders are slightly bigger than what you want is just being anal, Be glad there still making gijoes for us fans. There not going to make figures to fit every single persons needs. True action features and T crotches are indeed very stupid but you just gotta deal with it. Ya gotta see, when a company makes toys they make them for kids, who dont care about stuff like t crotches... True collectors like us buy these toys also and for all i know we buy them more than little kids. But companies aim for young crowds. Watch any toy commercial, in it there are little kids happily playing with the toys, Not grown men. Main Point: Be happy you get the toys

Im not trying to piss anyone off, im just trying to make a point.

Like I said, I'm reserving final judgement for when I see them in person.

I don't have a problem with the new figures either. I just think that saying the line is "for kids" is a bit of a cop-out. Meaning they don't have to put out a quality product because kids don't care. But saying something is "for kids" doesn't explain RAH. THAT was a quality product by comparison.

And, as for "getting" the toys, what does THAT mean? If they stopped we making G.I. Joe, we would just spend our money on some OTHER hobby. Are we supposed to feel "privileged" because we can buy the line or what?

I meant theyre aimed for kids, theyre toys...Im not saying I think theyre for kids, im saying companies think theyre for kids. Buisness folk are ignorant like that.

And no you shouldnt feel privileged because theyre available you should just be happy something you enjoy is being sold to you, Basically dont focus so much on somethings bad points so much, Focus on there good points, and if you beleive there is no good points your just being too anal

I meant theyre aimed for kids, theyre toys...Im not saying I think theyre for kids, im saying companies think theyre for kids. Buisness folk are ignorant like that.

And no you shouldnt feel privileged because theyre available you should just be happy something you enjoy is being sold to you, Basically dont focus so much on somethings bad points so much, Focus on there good points, and if you beleive there is no good points your just being too anal

Ah, I see your point now.

The thing is, a lot of us think the line could last a long time - if done right. If we don't focus on the bad points at all, we get a spiral downhill to crap.

The basic problem, though is that too often people complain about something and that is all. What we should be doing is giving constructive criticism.

Besides, it is more fun to complain about the bad points, if we don't take it too seriously.

The bottom line is Alphine sucks big time. He's the worst figure in year imo and yes I have seen him in person. He's going right into the custom bin when I get him. I do like the Baroness though.

Draven #US1#

I don't think Alpine is all that bad, his yellow is a little bright but it's kinda makes sense, there aren't that many moutains that Joe would be climbing that weren't in the desert or a desert-like climate, I can't really see him being an all that useful soldier to G.I Joe, when I envision him being called, I just see Snake-Eyes and a few other Joes just standing around waiting for him to be air-lifted in and then watching as he climbs a cliff-face and plants a bomb or sets up a rope for the rest of them to climb up, and then him being air-lifted out again. I am sure thats not how it would work, but thats how I see it.

I don't mind the Baroness being blue if it had been made in a darker blue than what thy're using now. Also, I don't know what sculptor is responsible for it, but it's getting annoying that every character with a tail or hair has that hair sticking way back from the body as if she's wearing some sort of invisible jacket that's causing it.

Alpine...ugg.....they took one of my favorite classics and totaly ruined it.

I don't think Alpine is all that bad, his yellow is a little bright but it's kinda makes sense, there aren't that many moutains that Joe would be climbing that weren't in the desert or a desert-like climate

What would make you say that? The original Alpine was dressed to climb mountains in a cold climate, why is Joe now restricted to the desert? And even if he's climbing a mountain in the desert, shouldn't he be dressed as a soldier? No soldier would be caught dead dressed like the new Alpine (correction: he'd soon be dead because he'd be such a bright yellow target).

And just for the record, we are not hard to please. It's just that the new line has been getting worse and worse. I don't think we all need to be thankful just because Hasbro is releasing a toy. They are putting the toy out to make money, you spend money on it, therefor you should have an idea of what you like or don't like. And if they continue the way they are going, eventually they might lose enough collectors to actually hurt the overall sales of the line.

Louis

Wow... I am really surprised that so many people hate Alpine. I actually like him. No he is not very militaristic but that doesn't bother me at all. I Kinda see him as a civilian with some military training that happens to be employed by the Joe team to be used on special missions. The figure is really not that bad IMO.

Yeah, I sort of agree. Alpine is not the greatest figure of the new line, particularly not standing next to the V1 Alpine, but I'll find some use for him.

That said, these new Joe figures grow more and more distant from being Joe figures everytime I look at them. They've got the Joe name, the Joe characters, but somehow they're become disconnected. It almost like they're a completely different toyline except with minor similarities.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just trying to numb myself against the pain. :unsure:

They've got the Joe name, the Joe characters, but somehow they're become disconnected. It almost like they're a completely different toyline except with minor similarities.

Exactly. I don't know what is so hard to get about this. JvC/VvV is NOT the same toyline as RAH. All of you that keep comparing RAH to the new stuff need to realize this. Yeah yeah "not the quality Hasbro is capable of" bla bla bla.

Pay attention. Toys are not as important to kids these days as they were in our childhood years.

Do you remember Christmas in 2nd or 3rd grade when every 8, 9, or 10 year old on the block got nothing but GI joes. Everyone had Joes. Even some of the girls. These days kids barely touch action figures. It is all video games and yugio cards.

Back in the day, Joes were of higher quality because hasbro could spend more money on them because they knew they could make money off them. I would be interested to see Joes sales today comparied to Joes sales in the 80's.

And don't say that if they made them better quality, kids would buy more... cause that is not true. Little Billy could care less if Duke's plactic quality is not as hard as... wait. That's right. Little Billy has nothing to compare it to. He has never even heard of RAH.

And for that matter Little Billy goes out to the Toy store looks in the action figure aisle, and sees all kinds of toys. Spider man (Billy just watched the movie last week), Power Rangers (that he watches every day after school) Transformers (that he watches right after power Rangers). Billy has no idea what GI Joe is. He has no idea that Snake eyes cannot speak, or that he is in love with Scarlet. No clue about any of the characters! Little Billy has no reason to buy Gi Joes. He knows spiderman and the blue power ranger. If I were a kid I would want a toy I knew something about.

And yes... here is where everyone jumps in and says "Well hasbro needs to put out a new cartoon." I agree BUT the fact of the matter is there is no new cartoon and that does not look to change anythime soon. And even if there was a good new high quality cartoon, Gijoe migh still not sell. Look at MOTU.

But more than likley little Billy is not even going to go into the action figure aisle at all. He will spend his trip to TRU in the Video game department looking for the latest sequal of .

Anyway, my point is JvC/VvV will never be what RAH was. A high quality cash cow for hasbro. Therefor the new joes will never have the dollars dumped into it that Rah did.

What about the collectors you say? Well hasbro does seem to care... a little bit. They have put out several RAH repaints. But I garentee you that they do not make nearly as much money on the 6 packs (the infantry set may be an exception) as they do on VvV. Wether we like it or not we are not hasbros main focus. Maybe we should be, but we are not and no matter how much we would like it, Hasbro is not going to try to please us on every thing we want, heck proabably not even most or even half of what we want. They are going to do the bare minimum for collectors and we just need to accept it.

Would GI Joe die again with out the collectors to support it? Yes proably but I guess Hasbro doesn't see that.

I am not saying you shouldn't be pissed or whatever. Face it guys. RAH is gone. I will and you should remember it fondly but accept that it is gone. JvC and VvV is what is here now. No it is not perfect or even close to the quality of RAH but you are comparing Apples to Oranges.

Oh yeah... and to relate this to the topic at hand. I think your reviews are a bit harsh because you compare them to their RAH counter parts. If Alpine had never existed in RAH and you got this new character in VvV I don't think you would have given him such a harsh review.

Okay... I am done... you may flame me now. Damn... don't know what got into me... I never have that much to say!

Very well said, Karmen. I agree with all of it actually. @wink@

I guess the fact that JvC/RAH are basically two different toylines, is why I've been going to ebay for my Joe fix, and haven't even been toy hunting in a long time. I'm just not interested in the new stuff anymore...

That also explains why the existance of a cartoon can further help contribute to the success of the new JvC line.Hasbro is doing a fine job marketing GI Joe on TV...I see Joe toy commercials as much as I do Transformer commercials or just about any other toyline.However,what Transformers has going for it is a long-standing run since the 80's and consistant cartoon shows that also helped endorse the products.

JvC is doing well...it would be gone by now if it hadn't been...but it CAN do better.Aside from the usual improvements that we collectors rave about (Personally,to me...I think the main factor Hasbro has to improve on is the paint schemes),if Hasbro wants to let this new generation of Joe fans (and perhaps more potential Joe fans) know about GI Joe...and find out about GI Joe...they need a new cartoon show.

How did kids first discover Yu-Gi-Oh?The cartoon...

Transformers?The cartoon...

You feed the kids the cartoon since today's youth is glued to the screen and that'll make them desire the product because they can finally relate and understand the characters.They can understand that Snake Eyes is a silent,cool ninja...they can understand that Cobra Commander is a raving madman,etc. and that was part of the appeal of the earlier RAH line...aside from the cool figures and your own games,you could see you heroes in action on TV as well.

The action figure industry and cartoons on television go hand-in-hand.Kids see the TV,they see the product/cartoon,they like,they want,they urge parents to buy.

Very well said, Karmen. I agree with all of it actually. @wink@

Wow... DarthJoe and I actually see eye to eye on something. Will wonders never cease! @smilepunch@

i here ya, KamenDreda,,,most of what you said [and you said a lot...lol] makes sense to me as well.....though i always will prefer the RAH,,i still collect some of the new stuff,,,and i like to bust on the 'features' i dislike,,whether it be RAH or the VsV.

....personally i like ssdsus's reviews...most of the time thier funny and i agree with much of what they say....but even if i didn't..i wouldn't let it influence my decisions regarding this hobby....

....personally i like ssdsus's reviews...most of the time thier funny and i agree with much of what they say....but even if i didn't..i wouldn't let it influence my decisions regarding this hobby....

Thanks, rich. I can't imagine that reading our reviews would sway someone one way or the other, they are just our opinion's after all.

But anyway, my gripes about the new toys stand. I know they are made for kids and it will never be as good as the old ones, blah blah. But there is no excuse for some of the stuff they are putting out there, and they can do better IMO. Still, I support this line and I love Joe, so go figure.

Louis

...Still, I support this line and I love Joe, so go figure...

And I love you too, even though I know nothing about you aside from your reviews. @wink@ @smilepunch@ @lol@

Wow... DarthJoe and I actually see eye to eye on something. Will wonders never cease! @smilepunch@

I know! I'm just as shocked as you. @wink@ @smilepunch@

I am not saying you shouldn't be pissed or whatever. Face it guys. RAH is gone. I will and you should remember it fondly but accept that it is gone. JvC and VvV is what is here now. No it is not perfect or even close to the quality of RAH but you are comparing Apples to Oranges.

Oh yeah... and to relate this to the topic at hand. I think your reviews are a bit harsh because you compare them to their RAH counter parts. If Alpine had never existed in RAH and you got this new character in VvV I don't think you would have given him such a harsh review.

I generally agree with your post and agree that we are spending too much time comparing JvC versions to RAH versions of the same character.

If Alpine had not been RAH, THIS version probably wouldn't have gotten as bad a review as you ascribe (me thinks you believe this is a real bad review), but I think he WOULD have gotten a bad one regardless. Look how many people complain about Hard Drive, for example.

If the internet had been as prevelent then as it is today, would we be complaining about RAH as much as we doJvC? Probably (look at the thread about "worst RAH driver").

Even though RAH is gone and we have to accept it, that doesn't mean we won't continue to use it as a reference/guide for what we expect for the line. For those of us that grew up with RAH, we can't help but do that.

Also, something we have to remember, RAH had a LOT of losers (again, look at the "worst RAH driver" thread) also.

Regardless of whether we are compring JvC to RAH, as you said, the line isn't perfect.