Who Were The Godfathers Of Modern Metal???

Darthmaul33

Well, I was listening to my Led Zeppelin's "How the West Was Won" CD, and listening to it made me realize how important they were in inspiring millions to rock! But, I also remembered Sabbath for having the brutal riffs. Who's on your list for starting metal???

To me the following bands/artists contributed to bring metal to the masses:

The Original Metal Bands:

Black Sabbath (first true metal band)

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

The following are all bands I grew up with and feel are a big part of how metal music is shaped today:

TestAmenT (the founding fathers of the Bay Area thrash bands. Chuck is God!)

Anthrax

Slayer

Metallica (nowadays #yuk@# )

Megadeth

Mercyful Fate

Venom

Exodus (Paul Baloff RIP)

Death Angel

Death

Cannibal Corpse (birth of real death/gore metal)

Fear Factory (first to start the electronic metal fusion)

Sepultura (the original grinders)

Biohazard (the first true NYC band to mix hardcore w/rap)

Gwar (Slipknot can't compare to GWAR)

Recent bands that continue to spread metal madness:

Lamb of God

Hatebreed

As I Lay Dying

Slipknot

Chimaira

Killswitch Engage

Unearth

Meshuggah

In Flames

the Haunted

Black Dahlia Murder

IMO these are bands that still stand as metals finest. Some tend to say that real metal belongs to the Doom, Black, Celtic or Norse Metal bands but since I'm not a big fan of dudes dressing themselves to look like the Crow I'm not gonna include them.

@peace@ @peace@ @peace@

Classic- Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden.

Thrash- Slayer, Pantera

Death- Death.

Black- Venom

As for my personal favourites and who started me.

Sepultura

Iron Maiden

Sabbath

Venom

Immortal

Cryptopsy

Pantera

Slayer

Tons more, but those are really the leading bands in my list.

I have to go with you on this one Darthmaul33, with led zep. Both parents were/are into them big time so i kind of had to like em.

Well I am a zeppelin fan, and I would say they paved the way for most modern and famous metal/rock bands. But I wouldn't say they influenced metal too too greatly. A lot of metal inspiration came from more underground ideas and bands, but Zeppelin are still the gods of rock.

I agree led zep kick ass but for full on metal it has to be toni iommi with his cool heavy black sabbath riffs.

Steve harris with his iron maiden bass. anthrax,testament, slayer and metallica kicked off the thrash, with help from megadeth later on. nirvana set off the grunge and dimebag darrell set of the heavy D tuned sludge core with the walk riff followed by biohazards hardcore rap style. cradle of filth reset the death and i dont want to talk about nu metal.