Viper/infantry

T.A.P.

I remember awhile ago that people were debating which one was ranked lower. I thought a possible answer could be that they are 2 different but equal branches of the Cobra military.

What I mean is that the two groups could be like the U.S. Marines and the U.S. Infantry. Both are used as ground troops, but neither is considered higher ranking than the other. (At least, I don't think so, I may be wrong.)

The Vipers could be like the Marines. They're sent in first. That's why they have all that body armor, since they're the first ones to get shot at.

Then the there's the Cobra Infantry. They do their share of fighting and occupying, but since they usually aren't the first ones in, and Cobra doesn't have unlimited funds, they don't have all the body armor that the Vipers have.

How does that sound? (If someone already said this, then I'm sorry, I didn't see it.)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is this even an issue? The Blue shirts are the regular soldiers that they send in first and the Vipers move in Second. Remember the Movie... Did you see the Vipers jumping down from the Plane? Nope... The Blue shirts jumped with the Crimson Guard...

why is this even an issue?  The Blue shirts are the regular soldiers that they send in first and the Vipers move in Second.  Remember the Movie...  Did you see the Vipers jumping down from the Plane?  Nope...  The Blue shirts jumped with the Crimson Guard...

That was the movie though and it was corny.

I like the idea of the Vipers being more like Marines.

I always went with the Vipers being for combat only and the Troopers doing things like guarding, manning cannons and equipment, and just being the main terrorist factor in Cobra.

why is this even an issue?  The Blue shirts are the regular soldiers that they send in first and the Vipers move in Second.  Remember the Movie...  Did you see the Vipers jumping down from the Plane?  Nope...  The Blue shirts jumped with the Crimson Guard...

That was the movie though and it was corny.

I like the idea of the Vipers being more like Marines.

I always went with the Vipers being for combat only and the Troopers doing things like guarding, manning cannons and equipment, and just being the main terrorist factor in Cobra.

well... thing about it... thats your opinion and obviously Hasbro thought of the Blue shirts as the first line. Why would you send your hi-tech upgrade soldiers into battle first? @hmmm@ So your second wave would be the blue soldiers? that doesn't fit.

Blue Shirts

Viper

Crimson guard

thats how it goes....

"well... thing about it... thats your opinion and obviously Hasbro thought of the Blue shirts as the first line. Why would you send your hi-tech upgrade soldiers into battle first? So your second wave would be the blue soldiers? that doesn't fit."

Well, in World War 1, the Germans sent soldiers, called storm troopers (I think, maybe they were called trench raiders), who had body armor (like a metal plate over their chest.) in before they sent in the regular troops.

Since the first soldiers would be drawing more fire they thought they would need better protection. (That's what I get out of it anyway.)

To me, it seems like you would send the Infantry in after the Vipers, since they aren't as well protected. I would think that it would probably cost more to recruit and train someone to replace a dead Infantry man than it would to have a Viper in the hospital because his Helmet or Vest stopped a bullet from killing him.

But, they're just toys, and I just put this up as a possible solution. About the movie opening, I thought it was pretty cool.

I've got a technical question though, do you need to put the quote thing at the start and end, or just the start, or what?

I don't mean to make it sound like the Infantry are ranked higher than the Vipers. I think they have the same rank, like the Marines and the Army. I was just saying that I would send in better protected troops 1st, (Vipers) then send in Infantry.

"I think youre all making this to much of an issue. The joes always win any ways"

Good point. But wasn't there some old Marvel GI Joe comic where is said on the cover "Cobra wins!" or something? But then again, I think the Joes STILL end up winning in that issue.

If you really look at the cartoon you will notice the Viper moves in and takes the spot of the Blue shirts. The Blue Shirts are phased out of Cobra, so I would say they are below the Viper. However, if you want to say they are basically the same then I guess you could. However, you can't put the blue shirts over the Viper.

The only real soldier that had rank was the crimson Guard. They protect Serpentor, CC, Destro... the top Cobra Members.

"well... thing about it... thats your opinion and obviously Hasbro thought of the Blue shirts as the first line. Why would you send your hi-tech upgrade soldiers into battle first? So your second wave would be the blue soldiers? that doesn't fit."

Well, in World War 1, the Germans sent soldiers, called storm troopers (I think, maybe they were called trench raiders), who had body armor (like a metal plate over their chest.) in before they sent in the regular troops.

Since the first soldiers would be drawing more fire they thought they would need better protection. (That's what I get out of it anyway.)

To me, it seems like you would send the Infantry in after the Vipers, since they aren't as well protected. I would think that it would probably cost more to recruit and train someone to replace a dead Infantry man than it would to have a Viper in the hospital because his Helmet or Vest stopped a bullet from killing him.

But, they're just toys, and I just put this up as a possible solution. About the movie opening, I thought it was pretty cool.

You got a good point @hmmm@

If you want to Quote just hit the quote button above the post to the right.

I've got a technical question though, do you need to put the quote thing at the start and end, or just the start, or what?

for doing something like that just hit quote once, then after your done quoting hit quote again. #US1#

I always thought of it like this:

Blue Shirt = Normal uniform for those who join Cobra. Think of it like the Klan's white sheet just to have an example. Various things can be applied to it to show what you do for Cobra or any honor given. As part of Cobra you HAVE to fight for it, so, many times they're sent into battle in these uniforms with nothing but a gun.

Vipers = Trained soliders of Cobra. Since these are actually trained men/women, they get the bullet proof vest/helmets grenades. If they excel in a certain feild, they become that type of Viper, I.E. Air/Sand/Night and so on...

If you look at Terrorist organizations, they don't really use ranks. Basically if you do a lot for the cause, you're well known and respected. If you're an average joe, you're cannon fodder. Same should be true for Cobra.

I always thought of the Vipers as being just one tiny step up from the regular Cobra soldiers.

Cobra Soldier--->Viper--->Specialized Viper (Alley-Vipers, Frag-Vipers, etc.)

Someone had the idea that they were the same thing. That is, the "blue shirt" was a kind of dress uniform or base uniform. When they went into combat, they would wear the gear as Vipers.

I too like the idea of Vipers being the equivalent of the Marines while the blue shirts are the Army.

And as for the cartoon, since when is the cartoon the defacto proof of how things are done? Crimson Guards are supposed to be undercover agents and used sparingly, so why would they parachuting into battle in the first place?

Guest gunslingercbr

if it isn't an issue, why do you feel the need to chime in on such a non-issue and attempt to pass your opinion on the non-issue as the solution to the non-issue. if it isn't an issue, then there isn't anything to talk about.

if everyone agreed, it wouldn't be an issue. but we don't agree, and that is why it is an issue. it is awfully arrogant to tell everyone who doesn't agree with you that they are wrong, you are right, Vipers are a higher rank because you say so, and thus it isn't an issue. @grumpy@

I disagree. Vipers rank lower than Infantry, and now it isn't an issue because everyone of you will rank your Cobra troops as I have stated them to be ranked. so now there isn't anything to talk about, I have settled the issue.

does that sound fair to you? @smilepunch@

sorry, I'm a bit grumpy after the final four.

if it isn't an issue, why do you feel the need to chime in on such a non-issue and attempt to pass your opinion on the non-issue as the solution to the non-issue. if it isn't an issue, then there isn't anything to talk about.

if everyone agreed, it wouldn't be an issue. but we don't agree, and that is why it is an issue. it is awfully arrogant to tell everyone who doesn't agree with you that they are wrong, you are right, Vipers are a higher rank because you say so, and thus it isn't an issue. @grumpy@

I disagree. Vipers rank lower than Infantry, and now it isn't an issue because everyone of you will rank your Cobra troops as I have stated them to be ranked. so now there isn't anything to talk about, I have settled the issue.

does that sound fair to you? @smilepunch@

sorry, I'm a bit grumpy after the final four.

you again.... as always challenging my opinions..... @hmmm@

I used the Movie as an example because Hasbro used them in that order. So who gives the final answers on gi joe? Some fools on a message board that are talking about gi joe on a saturday night? or the company that has spent Millions bringing us GI JOE for over 40 years? @smilepunch@

Blue shirts, Viper then Crimson Guard.

its the step up, you have never heard of a Rock blue shirt? Nope its Viper this and that #US1#

I win!!

Oh and about the final four.. I stopped watching after Texas lost, I hate texas so much....... @loll@

You should of seen the news

"Texas is going to win it all this year" blah blah and what happens?

TEXAS LOST!!! HAHAHAHHAHA

The reason I suggested that they could possibly have the same rank, but were 2 different fighting forces (Like Marines and the Army) was because of what the filecards say:

"If you want to get anywhere in Cobra, you have to start out as a Viper. That's the bottom of the pyramid."-The 1986 Viper Filecard

"The Cobra Infantry groups are the basic fighting group of the Cobra Organization."-The 2004 Infantry Trooper Card

The problem is that Hasbro hasn't clearly defined the answer. I think originally the Viper was the Infantry's (1982/1983 versions) replacement, but since they brought back the Infantry, it causes serious problems. There currently is no answer, people just set it up how they want, and there is plenty information to support any side of the problem. Its just how someone interperets it.

I don't think anyone was trying to force their answer onto anyone else, but let's just try to keep this from becoming a shouting match.

Infantry= early Cobra Cobra Commander and a few guys to start trouble.

Crimson Guard= SS type unit/Cia/government infiltration/ M.P./ Finance/

(for those that think CG's are these high and mighty troops on their file card they are ranked at only E-4 equ.)

Viper=Cobra renaissance age money to spread around. Blue shirts still remain for non combat soldier.

To throw a monkeywrech into things in 98 they came out with somthing called a Cobra trooper.

I always felt that Cobra should have a 8 to 12 man face team that was somthing along the lines of Gi joe it self. If they had have done that back in the day their names would be LEGENDERY at this point

I remember awhile ago that people were debating which one was ranked lower. I thought a possible answer could be that they are 2 different but equal branches of the Cobra military.

What I mean is that the two groups could be like the U.S. Marines and the U.S. Infantry. Both are used as ground troops, but neither is considered higher ranking than the other. (At least, I don't think so, I may be wrong.)

The Vipers could be like the Marines. They're sent in first. That's why they have all that body armor, since they're the first ones to get shot at.

Then the there's the Cobra Infantry. They do their share of fighting and occupying, but since they usually aren't the first ones in, and Cobra doesn't have unlimited funds, they don't have all the body armor that the Vipers have.

How does that sound? (If someone already said this, then I'm sorry, I didn't see it.)

Yeah, that's what always made sense to me too. I use the armored troops for front line combat and the blue shirts are more for guard duty -one's offense the other primarily defense.

There's alot of things in the cartoons that don't make that much sense that I don't incorporate - such as the Patriot Grizzly blasting a tunnel through a mountain while charging through the new tunnel - weird.

As I see it, the only problem is whether or not a person plays with them or not. If one doesn't play with them, does it REALLY matter what the "ranks" are?

But if one DOES play with them, couldn't you just decide for your own world what the ranks are?

Guest gunslingercbr
I used the Movie as an example because Hasbro used them in that order.  So who gives the final answers on gi joe?  Some fools on a message board that are talking about gi joe on a saturday night?  or the company that has spent Millions bringing us GI JOE for over 40 years? @smilepunch@

you're absolutely right, the company that has brought us G.I. Joe has the final say so. and if you want to go back to 1986 when the movie came out and the Viper's were released, Hasbro clearly states on the Viper filecard that "If you want to get anywhere in Cobra, you have to start out as a Viper. That's the bottome of the pyramid..."

so according to your own argument which defends the word of Hasbro, which backs up my stance that Vipers rank below the Cobra Trooper (who are now called Infantryman), I win. as I always do. @smilepunch@

Does a tank crew outrank a chopper crew or an infantry squad? No... I see each type of Cobra trooper as fulfilling a specific military purpose.

Sure, some Army units have more prestige than others (like the Rangers or other special ops units), but this doesn't mean that one outranks another.

I see Vipers/Neo-Vipers as Cobra's Special Ops, while the Infantry Troopers are just that, the regular, unspecialized infantry.

I've been toying with the idea of creating an orgchart for Cobra (especially after FINALLY finding the Infantry Packs at TRU), as my collecting is geared primarily towards creating functional, logically comprised units for Cobra.

These resources have been really helpful:

Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad

Mechanized Infantry Platoon and Squad (BRADLEY)

I've been toying with the idea of creating an orgchart for Cobra (especially after FINALLY finding the Infantry Packs at TRU), as my collecting is geared primarily towards creating functional, logically comprised units for Cobra.

Yeah, if you make a ranking chart for Cobra, then post it. I'd be interested in it, and probably some other people would.

And while we're on the subject of military information/history, there is this great site that is a giant encyclopedia of the various weaponry (Tanks, planes, ships, guns) used by each side in WWII. If anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll post it.

I've always thought of the Vipers as Marines, Blue Shirts as Army, Strato-Vipers as Air Force, Eels as Navy Seals, etc.

i like vipers more but to me they are the lowest, theres so many kinds of them and you never see a viper officer. the blue shirst to me are everywhere, you see them as normal town folks and guards and eploring crews, they do everything. vipers or the army for cobra, their sole purpose is to fight. an officer or trooper could be someone that sits on reserve and only fights when summoned,

To me, the Cobra Infantry are the bottom of the barrel; and the Vipers are like the US Army's Rangers, the elite infantrymen.

And like our real-life Rangers, they could eventually move on to the Special Operations groups (like Delta Force or Special Forces) or aviation corp.... which for Cobra, could be the Alley-Vipers, Range-Vipers, and Gyro-Vipers and so on.

If they choose to stay in the Cobra Infantry battalion, they eventually become something like senior NCOs (IE Cobra Officer).

I don't know... whatever....