I Hate Ninjas

nov316

Ok when I first got into GI Joe, my favorite characters were Stalker and Snake-eyes. Because they were Badd A$$ Special Forces Mutha ____ers.

They were the toughest SOB in my Joeverse.

Ok so Snake-eyes had some ninja training, so what. Hasbro should down play the ninja thing and go with the commando part of Snake-eyes. To me they are kinda of spitting on the whole US Military by focusing on the whole ninja part of Snake-eyes.

Storm Shadow was the ninja in the whole GI Joe universe. They dont need a but load of ninjas running around.

This just one of my opinions. What do you guys thinks. Lets hear it TNI brothas!

Your right, too many ninjas running around, Snake Eyes, cool- Storm Shadow, cool and some others too, but HASBRO needs to stop hangin' on to the whole ninja thing.....It was cool then and HASBRO thanks for the new Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow but do not over due it please.....

I never thought about it but you're right. Ninja's have nothing to do with army figures. They should make it SnakeEyes the Silent Soldier.

well, to contradict many of your statements including yours spike there were many members of the army who were black belts, mostly special opps. Now you could call snake eyes one of these guys with a little bit of oriental training. Also most ninjas such as night creepers and satan guys werent part of the military. But with night creepers, in the comics, they were more gun based, or at least according to a few episodes I read recently. But I do have to agree that Ninjas that are throwing stars and doging bullets have no place in the military.

The whole "ninja" thing really kicked in with Ninja Turtles and Powers Rangers. Ninja's were the thing in early 90's, but have no since faded. Hasbro can't seem to grasp that. It's been about 16 since they made a Snake Eyes that was more close to the commando aspect (and even the 89' version was pushing it.). They seem to market Scarlett as a ninja now too. Why?

My knowledge of GI Joe is limited, but i'd thought i'd throw my opinion on this.

Ninja's do have a place in GI Joe, just not on the battlefield. There's a difference between a soldier who has a black belt and a ninja. Ninja's are trainned and hired for assassination and sabotage. Also it's not uncommon for them to work as units.

With that said, guys who are ninja's, like Stormshadow a great, but they should be used accordingly. Having them in the front lines doesn't make sense at all.

The comics over-emphasized the ninjas--the toys haven't really gone too overboard.

That said, Snake-Eyes fits, as does Stormshadow...I can accept the Red Ninjas/NightCreepers as COBRA baddies,but that's it.

Kamakura, Budo, Quick Kick, Nunchuk and Billy......all the rest of them could dry up and blow away and I would not miss them.

I'd rather see more "real-life"-like "ninja"-suited ( a actual term) commando/ CT/ seige-breaker types. Beachhead is actually kitted out like what the real guys would wear.

Technically Big Ben could be one of these were he re-kitted in CT gear 'a la the famous Princess Gate incident. it was suprising that the first SAS Joe was in regular soldiering gear rather than a CT get-up anyway.

The idea of ninjas hopping all arond with swords and stuff--well, it just makes the whole thing more fanciful for the kids. I can live with it, but I don't entirely like it.

--Ken

I never thought about it but you're right. Ninja's have nothing to do with army figures. They should make it SnakeEyes the Silent Soldier.

well, to contradict many of your statements including yours spike there were many members of the army who were black belts, mostly special opps. Now you could call snake eyes one of these guys with a little bit of oriental training. Also most ninjas such as night creepers and satan guys werent part of the military. But with night creepers, in the comics, they were more gun based, or at least according to a few episodes I read recently. But I do have to agree that Ninjas that are throwing stars and doging bullets have no place in the military.

Well, like teruo313 said, there is a difference between somebody trained in martial arts and a ninja. Ninjas have that mystical, almost supernatural aspect to them. Just knowing martial arts doesn't mean one knows all that.

Excluding the Ninja Force era [in the comics], SE was mainly a commando [in the rest of the comic], blowing away Cobra scum by the dozen. If the toys don't reflect that all that much [ninja aspect], then I don't see what the problem is.

As far as Duke having "ninja action"... is it more the the result of the ninja theme gone overboard, or the idiotic mandatory inclusion of gimmicks in today's Joe toys?

There are only 14 ninjas in the G.I. Joe universe.

I would count Storm Shadow, Slice, Dice, T'Jbang, Nunchuk (original),

Dojo, Zartan, Night Creeper Leader, Night Creeper, Red Ninja, T'Gin-Zu, Jinx, Kamakura and Snake-Eyes.

This, of course, based on the interpretations of their file cards.

Anybody else (including the later incarnations of Nunchuk) are just martial artists and NOT ninjas.

Problem is, ANYBODY that knows martial arts is AUTOMATICALLY a "ninja." This would include Quick Kick, Scarlet, Duke, Bushido, Banzai, Ninja-Viper, Torpedo, Firefly, Lady Jaye, Ice Viper, Budo, Capt. Grid-Iron, Spirit and Razorclaw.

To me, Snake Eyes was never really a Ninja until the 3rd version. But I didn't really care for that one. The best one, the one with the Wolf from '85 seemed more covert special-op to me more than anything. Hell, his sword isn't very ninja like. I like that one because it has cool shape to it. So yeah, Storm Shadow is all we need man. Those guys kind of grew up together, so they are cool with the Ninja thing. And by the way, I don't mind Budo being in the Joeverse much, since a samurai is kinda neat.

Dojo, Zartan, Night Creeper Leader, Night Creeper, Red Ninja, T'Gin-Zu, Jinx, Kamakura and Snake-Eyes.

Anybody else (including the later incarnations of Nunchuk) are just martial artists and NOT ninjas.

Problem is, ANYBODY that knows martial arts is AUTOMATICALLY a "ninja." This would include Quick Kick, Scarlet, Duke, Bushido, Banzai, Ninja-Viper, Torpedo, Firefly, Lady Jaye, Ice Viper, Budo, Capt. Grid-Iron, Spirit and Razorclaw.

you wouldn't consider the "Ninja vipers" to be ninjas? i dunno about that...

and if zartan's a ninja, i would have to think firefly was too. firefly had some pretty extensive arashikage training, didn't he?

personally, ninjas don't bother me too much. snake eyes and storm shadow are two of my favorites, and i think the others can go a little overboard, but i don't really mind them.

Problem is, ANYBODY that knows martial arts is AUTOMATICALLY a "ninja."  This would include Quick Kick, Scarlet, Duke, Bushido, Banzai, Ninja-Viper, Torpedo, Firefly, Lady Jaye, Ice Viper, Budo, Capt. Grid-Iron, Spirit and Razorclaw.

you wouldn't consider the "Ninja vipers" to be ninjas? i dunno about that...

and if zartan's a ninja, i would have to think firefly was too. firefly had some pretty extensive arashikage training, didn't he?

personally, ninjas don't bother me too much. snake eyes and storm shadow are two of my favorites, and i think the others can go a little overboard, but i don't really mind them.

I was going by the filecards only. In the comic, Firefly had more extensive knowledge, but that wasn't played out in the file cards. For the same reason I did not include all the Ninja Force members.

Same goes for the Ninja-Viper. From the filecards, I did not get the impression they were "true" ninjas. Just Cobra personel who had extensive martial arts training and called "ninjas." Which illustrates my point.

I don't really have a problem with ninjas either, other than as I said how practically anyone with martial arts ability is considered one.

haha, i looooves me some muthafunkin' ninjas... :P

Dieselboy you would luv muthafunkin ninjas, those are the fruity ones right? lol

How your ninja training in the PI going. Send me a PM later my brotha.

This is how I feel about the whole thing:

Snake-eyes= Commando

Stormshadow= Ninja

Firefly= Sabator

Just one ninja and the other two just plain bad assessssss.

And thats how it should be.

Do you know that Serpentor is also a Ninja?? When he was made in the comics, he got all the traits and knowledge of the people used. Well Stormshadow was used, so that means Serpentor is a ninja. HEHEHEHHEHE

But it also means that Stormy has all the same skills and knowledge Serpentor has. Think about that.

The realy kick in the head for me was when Hama decided that Firefly was a ninja too. That made me so mad and it was only a few more issues before I put the comic down.

It's amazing just how far Hasdro can allow this property to stray from what the fans like. I don't know that many people that bought into the ninja force idea. The figures from that period are the only ones that I don't own and never plan on owning.

The realy kick in the head for me was when Hama decided that Firefly was a ninja too. That made me so mad and it was only a few more issues before I put the comic down.

It's amazing just how far Hasdro can allow this property to stray from what the fans like. I don't know that many people that bought into the ninja force idea. The figures from that period are the only ones that I don't own and never plan on owning.

Ninja Force MIGHT have worked if not for the AA crap. They DID bring back Slice.

I dont see what the big deal is. 1) I like the ninjas, and 2) if you dont then dont buy them (if this is about the figures). There are plenty of other figures out there. If you're talking about the plethora of ninjas coming out in these recent lines then yeah there are a lot but there are still way more non-ninjas out there.

Finally these are toys not meant to be reality so who cares if there are ninjas in an army? If it was meant to be realistic they would all be wearing similar uniforms and people definately wouldnt be able to wear football jerseys in combat. I thought the selling point of GI Joe was all these people from different walks of life with different specialties coming together to fight Cobra, wouldnt it make sense some of these were "ninjas." It especially makes sense for cobra to employ ninjas. A terrorist organization and assassins go hand in hand. I think most of the "ninjas" are on the Cobra side anyway.