Theme After Venom

Marthor

So, we've seen what HASBRO seems to want to do....

Spytroops with Gear and Sound Attack

Venom with DNA and Action Attack

After 2 waves of Venom, I'm ready to move on to the next theme...

So, the purpose of this thread is to come up with a GOOD Theme and a GOOD gimmick.

I personally find this a really hard task because my preference is simply ARAH theme and no gimmicks which I think not only works, but is the true soul of GI Joe.

But not to give up so easily here's my first stab at a THEME and a GIMMICK...

Theme: TOP SECRET GUARDS (...or maybe "SECRET SENTINELS")

Gimmick: An unintrusive chip inside the figure or perhaps as a backpack accessory that can be recognized by a BASE, CHECK POINT or VEHICLE. The bulky sound box would be inside of the base and would say, "Admission Granted" for specific Joes or sound an alarm for COBRAs with the Chip...

It could even be a "battle stand" that looks like an ID CARD and has a foot peg for the figure to stand on.

The core figures to produce would be of the security guard kind...like MUTT and LAW, but also you could create some new Characters with a Security Theme and maybe a JOE Scientist that invented the new weapon.

The playsets to produce would be a new TOP SECRET weapon/vehicle to "Guard". A security base to store the weapon.

You could also create stuff on the COBRA side like Dr. Mindbenders lab or Destro's MARS Weapon Facility....with COBRA Guards and the same type of CHIP gimmick.

This is still a rough idea (that I just now made up), but it has a military theme which is "good" like spytroops was with spy gear. I think TOP SECRET GUARDS fits with Good symmetry with GI Joe. Much better than Venom, which does not have a military symmetry with GI Joe.

Any other ideas??

Be creative!!!! :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about...

GI Joe: Battle Corp with weapon attack!!! or

GI Joe: Special Mission or

GI Joe: Special Force or

GI Joe: Battlemaster or

GI Joe: Armor vs Fang or

GI Joe: Battle Troop or

GI Joe: Shield vs Fang or

GI Joe: Battle Force or

GI Joe: DefCon or

GI Joe: Secret File or

GI Joe: Wolf Pack or

GI Joe: Turtle Power

Another one...

THEME: BASIC TRAINING

GIMMICK: Earn rank and skills for your GI Joe character.

This idea is a little more complex and perhaps involves use of HASBRO's Website.

Core Characters:

Trainers and Trainees

Beachhead, Sgt Slaughter (or a replcement name) as Trainers.

Trainees are new characters wearing a rather plain green uniform similar to 1982 designs.

The playsets are cool Training Playsets like a workout gym, rifle range, obstical course, etc.

Basically, you go to the website and play like a "Rifle Game" to qualify in a weapon. Now you can print out a cirtificate and give your trainee figure that weapon as an accesory.

The cirtificates or perhaps merit badges or medals would be various things that you "earn" by playing the games.

But you can updgrade your trainee figure with the appropraite gear. (the gear can be sold in various ways)

-tent making with a Bivouac Gear for your trainee action figure

-navigation with a "map/compass/binoculars" gear for "you" and your little trainee action figure

-first aid with medical gear

Earn Several MOS for your character too...

Then there's COBRAs side with Big Boa and COBRA INFANTRY and training playsets like Cobra Commander's famous ARENA OF SPORT with a gladiator/wrestling atmosphere...other figures to produce could be various "fighters" for the arena. @duel@@

Again, military theme and good gimmicks that don't get in the way

This is a good thread, although I doubt Hasbro would take any suggestions outright, it may give them an idea of what we're thinking. I know the themes are for the kids, not the collectors, but if a theme isn't too intrusive, we can all be happy.

Looking back at those themes, SA ruined a lot of cool weapons, but, in retrospect, wasn't very intrusive, and by now I've armed everyone. I just wish they'd always included an alternate weapon. The whole weapons thing has improved, though.

ST: THis ruined a couple figs, noteably Lady Jaye, but mostly it was kind of fun, and even though I have a big bag of armor I never use, I do like snap on accessories very, very much.

AA: Well, this was just a disaster. The VvV thing is allright, if a little sci-fi, but can be ignored, since the figs don't look like monsters or anything. But AA, well, I've heard talk that all those figs will come out without the AA, but, we'll see. Most of the VvV figs are as ugly as a mud fence anyhow, so good riddance.

Now, for a new theme, I think Marthor's idea of a hidden chip is great, a la the Simpson figures... IF they can hids the chip without a big back pack or something stupid.

Ideally, I'd like them to do what was done with Phantom Menace... lets call it "Talking Dog Tags". Figures come with a dog tag that reads on a reader (sold seperately) or in vehicle and playsets that says stuff and makes sounds. Kids get their bells and whistles (or, should I say, Wal-Mart does), and we can throw them in the Spy Gear bag.

#US1#

THEME: BOUNTY HUNTERS

Gimmick: Detection Chip like a "metal" detector.

Have your mom or your friend hide the COBRA bad guy action figure somewhere in the house. The detector chip is in the "battlestand" with a foot peg...or in a backpack.

You go around the house with your "detector" and try to find the bad guy. Capture him and take him to JAIL!

You and your friend could each hide a figure and whoever finds him first wins...

This would require some sort of good detector system that would actually work!

Produce Dreadnoks who stole a bag of money (the chip is in the money bag)

All sorts of BOUNTY HUNTER role playing action, but the figures to produce would be regular Joes and COBRAs.

Only certain characters like "Ghost Bear" could be a COBRA Hunter and "Spirit" could be a GI Joe tracker...etc.

The playset would be a "Prison Station".

Again, military theme with gimmicks that don't get in the way.

i really like that trainee idea alot only they could expand on it a little still with the 2pack idea you get 2 joes in a pack one trainer the other a trainee, the trainer being a core character and the trainee being a nobody with a white T shirt and camo pants (kinda like the trainee's in issue 82 of the old marvel run of gijoe?) only my idea lets the "kid" customize his character more say they include a little sheet of rub on letters with some premade code names on it and some just letters this way the kid can make up his own codename or use his own name!and rub it on the shirt, then they could do a thing on gijoe.com that lets them make and print out there filecard the same size and style as the one that come with the regular joes! this would be a great way to bring kids to there site and interact with the toys more!

the trainee figure would come in a couple different styles black,white,asian and hispanic (maybe a female in there too?)with differnt facail hair styles as well (painted on to save money of course!) then

cobra would work the same way only there figures would be helmeted and all one solid color (blue maybe?) and a cobra logo you coud stick on or maybe an accessory with the cobra logo you could put on them when they finished there training? maybe the figures could come with a spring loaded weapon and some cardboard targets as "training" or maybe each trainee would come with a piece to an obstac;le course i dont know but i think this idea just plain out rocks to bad hasbro didnt let the collectors help em' out when there ideas they pay for suck ass!

TM

Guest gunslingercbr

Theme: Leave'em Where They Belong, or also known as Let the Line Die Already

Story: Cobra's (or Hasbro's) attempt to make G.I. JOE so lame and stupid finally succeeds, by producing figures so awful that not even Night Creeper wants them, and thus they are left on the pegs Where They Belong.

Finally catering to MOC collectors, this truly a revolutionary concept by Hasbro has created a playability with these toys that can be done not only while still carded, since they are so bad they aren't worth opening, but also where it's playability is executed at the store, where they are meant to stay, since they aren't worth buying, thus saving collectors tons of money.

Theme: Atlantis Rising

Gimmick: Character's get camouflage when submerged in water. Also, water blasting weapons that can be clipped on to vehicles, held by figures, or used by the child on it's own. Use of Hasbro's own Super Soaker technology.

Characters would come with various modified oxygen masks to allow them to combat underwater. Some would have the color change feature, while others would be packaged with a small Super Soaker-like weapon. These weapons could be attached to vehicles or play sets to add more fire power. Would also allow fans to 'not' include them. One could also use a fast food tie-in during the summer for kids to pick up 'extra' water shooting weapons. Perhaps four water shooting weapons and four bagged figures(no weapons).

The story would be that Cobra has undergone construction on various underwater facilities to help in it's goal of world conquest. Using an ancient method discovered by Atlantians to use water as energy, they've constructed weapons and propulsion devices for their assault against G.I. Joe. Thankfully an ex-Viper Mercer has come to G.I. Joe with this technology, allowing them to combat this evil head on.

As Joe teams go off to take on the three separate Cobra bases, they learn if they can really trust Mercer and also, the deadly secret of why Atlantis no longer exists...

Wave 1 Figures: Mercer, Cobra Commander(Battle Suit), Wet Suit(O-ring), Moray(O-ring, V.1 paint), Undertow(New sculpt), Fins(New Joe), Viper/Cobra Officer/Neo-Viper(Water relative paint app.), and Tripwire.

Carded Vehicles: New Devilfish with Shipwreck(Shipwreck's head on a wetsuit like body) and Altered Gun Station(Cobra style) with Metal-Head.

Base: Re-painted Tactical Platform in Cobra style packaged with Moray(O-ring painted like BTR version.)

Deluxe Vehicles: New Piranha with re-painted C.L.A.W.S. and altered Sky SHARC with kit bashed Deep Six.

Wave 2 Figures: Snow Job, Eel(Ice clear parts), Blowtorch(Original paint app.), Moray(O-ring, V.3 paint), Dee-Jay, Major Bludd, Lifeline, and Aurora(Female Cobra Artic expert.).

Carded Vehicles: Flight Pod with Snow Serpent and Inflatable Raft of some sort with Tracker.

Deluxe Vehicles: Re-painted Snow Cat into Python Patrol colors with Python Patrol Snow Serpent and S.L.A.M.(New design, with artic paint app.) with kit bashed Bazooka.

Ultra-Deluxe Vehicle: Ice Crusher, a large Joe boat with a blow on the front to break though ice. Plow would be the place to clip on various Super Soaker-like water guns. This would be the Unicron to mini-con of the Joe world. Packaged with new Keel Haul.

Last wave would be a marsh themed wave, and include Snake Eyes, Firefly, and some ‘Noks. Too tired to think up the a whole set up right now. Think you get the idea though.

i think this idea just plain out rocks to bad hasbro didnt  let the collectors help em' out when there ideas they pay for suck ass!

True. It's only taking us a few minutes to come up with a couple good ideas. All Hasbro has done lately w/AA is rehash old ideas that didn't even work the first time....and they've received a lot of feedback on it yet still proceed?!!

I like your 2-pack idea a lot!!

It would be trainer and trainee like an "Apprentice".

I could picture Stormshadow with a new Ninja Apprentice Trainee 2-pack.

Beachhead with a new Joe Recruit.

Ace with a new Pilot Character.

Etc.

While the "trainee" idea is kinda cool, I thought Hasbro was not going to do "greenshirt" Joes which is essentially what this would be. The only way this would really work is if they made a "greenshirt" body and put on the heads of various Joes instead of just "generic" nobody figures.

I think they should perhaps redo the Spy Troops gear, but not AS spy gear. Barrel Roll's equipment would be good as just regular armor, for example. Maybe it could be done as second Battle Force 2000.

One thing I liked about the old cartoon is they way they were able to accomodate the different characters/environments. When Serpentor was created, for example, they had the aquatic guys (Wet-Suit, Deep Six, etc.) going underwater to stop Cobra from getting Alexander the Great's DNA. Or Iceberg and Frostbite with the Oktober Guard in Russia, etc.

Maybe a theme like that. Where Cobra is scowering the globe for something (fallen satellites, ancient magic ala Raiders of the Lost Ark, or Energon). We have waves with environmental themes. We get 4 waves a year, right? So the first wave could be all snow oriented. Iceberg vs Snow Serpent, Snow Job vs Ice Viper, etc. Then the next wave all aquatic. Wet Suit vs Eel, Torpedo vs Moray, etc.

Maybe 2 vehicles per theme.

When the Metal Gear Solid figures came out, each one came with a piece that, when ALL of them were collected, one could create the Metal Gear figure. Perhaps that could be a part?

Theme: Atlantis Rising

Gimmick: Character's get camouflage when submerged in water. Also, water blasting weapons that can be clipped on to vehicles, held by figures, or used by the child on it's own. Use of Hasbro's own Super Soaker technology.

Characters would come with various modified oxygen masks to allow them to combat underwater. Some would have the color change feature, while others would be packaged with a small Super Soaker-like weapon. These weapons could be attached to vehicles or play sets to add more fire power. Would also allow fans to 'not' include them. One could also use a fast food tie-in during the summer for kids to pick up 'extra' water shooting weapons. Perhaps four water shooting weapons and four bagged figures(no weapons).

The story would be that Cobra has undergone construction on various underwater facilities to help in it's goal of world conquest. Using an ancient method discovered by Atlantians to use water as energy, they've constructed weapons and propulsion devices for their assault against G.I. Joe. Thankfully an ex-Viper Mercer has come to G.I. Joe with this technology, allowing them to combat this evil head on.

As Joe teams go off to take on the three separate Cobra bases, they learn if they can really trust Mercer and also, the deadly secret of why Atlantis no longer exists...

Wave 1 Figures: Mercer, Cobra Commander(Battle Suit), Wet Suit(O-ring), Moray(O-ring, V.1 paint), Undertow(New sculpt), Fins(New Joe), Viper/Cobra Officer/Neo-Viper(Water relative paint app.), and Tripwire.

Carded Vehicles: New Devilfish with Shipwreck(Shipwreck's head on a wetsuit like body) and Altered Gun Station(Cobra style) with Metal-Head.

Base: Re-painted Tactical Platform in Cobra style packaged with Moray(O-ring painted like BTR version.)

Deluxe Vehicles: New Piranha with re-painted C.L.A.W.S. and altered Sky SHARC with kit bashed Deep Six.

Wave 2 Figures: Snow Job, Eel(Ice clear parts), Blowtorch(Original paint app.), Moray(O-ring, V.3 paint), Dee-Jay, Major Bludd, Lifeline, and Aurora(Female Cobra Artic expert.).

Carded Vehicles: Flight Pod with Snow Serpent and Inflatable Raft of some sort with Tracker.

Deluxe Vehicles: Re-painted Snow Cat into Python Patrol colors with Python Patrol Snow Serpent and S.L.A.M.(New design, with artic paint app.) with kit bashed Bazooka.

Ultra-Deluxe Vehicle: Ice Crusher, a large Joe boat with a blow on the front to break though ice. Plow would be the place to clip on various Super Soaker-like water guns. This would be the Unicron to mini-con of the Joe world. Packaged with new Keel Haul.

Last wave would be a marsh themed wave, and include Snake Eyes, Firefly, and some ‘Noks. Too tired to think up the a whole set up right now. Think you get the idea though.

They did that with the Eco-Warriors back in the 90s. It wasn't that popular, but then Joe was on the decline anyway, so who knows, maybe it would work again?

i think this idea just plain out rocks to bad hasbro didnt  let the collectors help em' out when there ideas they pay for suck ass!

True. It's only taking us a few minutes to come up with a couple good ideas.All Hasbro has done lately is rehash old ideas that didn't even work the first time....and they've received a lot of feedback on it yet still proceed?!!

Please don't believe in so heavily that "because it sounds cool on a message board that it will be hugely successful for Hasbro"

I'm not saying that no good ideas come from collectors, but to assume that we can turn straw into gold with our ideas is not as easy as it sounds.

I thought Hasbro was not going to do "greenshirt" Joes which is essentially what this would be.

These ideas are all flexible.

The "trainees" could be new Characters and not quite so generic like a greenshirt.

Snake Eyes w/Kamakura

Stormshadow w/Vypra

Ace w/Barrel Roll

...they could still have a "greenshirt" /Steel Brigade type figure where you name it yourself and roleplay as the new trainee for just the one character.

Beachhead w/Trainee Figure

Instead of trying to make all the ethnicities, they just need to put a helmet and longsleeves so the trainee figure could be anybody.

What about a cross over theme?

Joe and TFs or Power Rangers or something?

I mean, imagine Energon Snow Cat the same size as a Joe Snowcat? Or the Conquest transforming like a Decepticon seeker.

2-packs could be a Joe and a specialized Autobot that becomes armor or a weapon (same for Cobras and Decepticons).

And, of course, the vehicles as described above. Snow Cat with Ice Viper (seeing as he's a Decepticon) or Frostbite if they leave it as a Joe vehicle. Transforming Conquest with Strato-Viper.

Of course, it might kinda depend upon which interpretation of Transformers is used.

True. It's only taking us a few minutes to come up with a couple good ideas.All Hasbro has done lately is rehash old ideas that didn't even work the first time....and they've received a lot of feedback on it yet still proceed?!!

Please don't believe in so heavily that "because it sounds cool on a message board that it will be hugely successful for Hasbro"

I'm not saying that no good ideas come from collectors, but to assume that we can turn straw into gold with our ideas is not as easy as it sounds.

Of course not, but where else we gonna start but with a bunch of ideas?

I thought Hasbro was not going to do "greenshirt" Joes which is essentially what this would be.

These ideas are all flexible.

The "trainees" could be new Characters and not quite so generic like a greenshirt.

Snake Eyes w/Kamakura

Stormshadow w/Vypra

Ace w/Barrel Roll

...they could still have a "greenshirt" /Steel Brigade type figure where you name it yourself and roleplay as the new trainee for just the one character.

Beachhead w/Trainee Figure

Instead of trying to make all the ethnicities, they just need to put a helmet and longsleeves so the trainee figure could be anybody.

Ah, I see it now. Not too bad an idea.

While the "trainee" idea is kinda cool, I thought Hasbro was not going to do "greenshirt" Joes which is essentially what this would be. The only way this would really work is if they made a "greenshirt" body and put on the heads of various Joes instead of just "generic" nobody figures.

oop's your right! a way around that could be this idea..... it's not a green shirt, he comes with a filecard as gijoe trainee #1 file name :rex crandle, blah blah blah and something added in that would say he has yet to recieve his codename until he completes his training with beach head, that the kid or collector has to put him through? then he would come with a specialty weapon and a helmet or mask of some sort and a vest like crosshairs (something along those lines to make him a "joe" when he's done training and he comes with the sheet of premade code names anyway.

another interesting aspect would be the collector hunting aspect as in i found trainee #3 with goatee but i need trainee #3 with the blonde hair? collectors,customizers and completists would be forced to buy multiply packs and hasbro make all kinds of bread!!!

TM

Here's what I would like to see.

Theme: G.I. Joe Bio-Tech

Story: Cobra plans to destroy the world with Toxic Chemicals.

Gimmick: Firing Water Cannons and Snap On Color Changing Armor.

Wave 1:

Duke (Armor) vs. Destro (Water Cannon)

Scarlet (Water Cannon) vs. Sludge Viper (Armor)

Air Tight (Armor) vs. Toxo-Viper (Water Cannon)

Snake Eyes (Water Cannon) vs. Cobra Commander (Armor)

Vehicles:

Cobra Toxo-HISS w/Toxo-Viper

G.I. Joe Eco-Chopper w/Wild Bill

Wave 2:

Flint (Water Cannon) vs. Cesspool (Armor)

Ozone (Armor) vs. Toxo-Zombie (Water Cannon)

Storm Shadow (Water Cannon) vs. Cobra Bio-Ninja (Armor)

Lifeline (Armor) vs. Baroness (Water Cannon)

Wave 3:

Firewall (Armor) vs. Bio-Viper (Water Cannon)

Falcon (Water Cannon) vs. Toxo-Viper (Armor)

Low-Light (Armor) vs. Blackout (Water Cannon)

Heavy Duty (Water Cannon) vs. Toxo-Tech (Armor)

Playset:

Dr. Mindbender Bio Lab w/Dr. Mindbender

G.I. Joe Headquarters w/General Hawk

True,True! just fun to come up with ideas about it though! since we dont see hasbro turning anything in to gold lately! seems to me there turning good ideas into sh!t!! ;)

TM

Here's what I would like to see.

Theme: G.I. Joe Bio-Tech

Story: Cobra plans to destroy the world with Toxic Chemicals.

Gimmick: Firing Water Cannons and Snap On Color Changing Armor.

Wave 1:

Duke (Armor) vs. Destro (Water Cannon)

Scarlet (Water Cannon) vs. Sludge Viper (Armor)

Air Tight (Armor) vs. Toxo-Viper (Water Cannon)

Snake Eyes (Water Cannon) vs. Cobra Commander (Armor)

Vehicles:

Cobra Toxo-HISS w/Toxo-Viper

G.I. Joe Eco-Chopper w/Wild Bill

Wave 2:

Flint (Water Cannon) vs. Cesspool (Armor)

Ozone (Armor) vs. Toxo-Zombie (Water Cannon)

Storm Shadow (Water Cannon) vs. Cobra Bio-Ninja (Armor)

Lifeline (Armor) vs. Baroness (Water Cannon)

Wave 3:

Firewall (Armor) vs. Bio-Viper (Water Cannon)

Falcon (Water Cannon) vs. Toxo-Viper (Armor)

Low-Light (Armor) vs. Blackout (Water Cannon)

Heavy Duty (Water Cannon) vs. Toxo-Tech (Armor)

Playset:

Dr. Mindbender Bio Lab w/Dr. Mindbender

G.I. Joe Headquarters w/General Hawk

So, you basically want to see Eco-Warriors again?

I think the themes from the 80s could work if done better. Some of the garrish and ugly paint schemes, for example have been improved recently (such as the B.A.T. A.P.C.).

Even if they just reuse some of the old molds, as long as they do better coloring and give more realistic equipment, it might work.

Characteristics of a GOOD Theme:

- Military Compatible (GI Joe vs COBRA)

- Not too geographically restrictive (ie space, water or polar oriented)

- Not "too" sci-fi

Characteristics of a GOOD gimmick:

- not too expensive

- removable

- doesn't affect the core articulation or appearance of the figures or vehicles (like several recent examples... a big handle, a button on Duke's behind, Stormshadow AA, or Kamakura AA)

THEME: COBRA CIVIL WAR: Rise of the COIL

GIMMICK: All the Cobra figures come with a COBRA sticker on them.

You put your finger on the sticker and it changes to identify them as a COIL defector or loyal COBRA troop. OR a color changing paint on the COBRA Symbol, or a "ID chip", etc.

Yes, this is a little rehash from those old Transformer's Stickers to identify Autobots/Decepticons.

However, like MOTU transitions to Snake Men and then the HORDE...

so, the COIL is the heir to COBRA.

...An obvious and easy to predict successful idea. An idea that's already long been out there!!!

I think the next theme will revolve around serpentor. After seeing that they couldnt turn a joe into a cobra leader ( Hawk into Venimus Maximus) they decide to make one from scratch. This could go along with pesatyel`s idea, and have the theme run through out the year. Each wave could be themed so that Cobra is going after a different part of Serpentors DNA, and you would have themed figures and vehicles to go along with it. Also each wave would have a figure, with a small playset like base, that would have the coffin that they were going after. A water theme, a jungle theme, Dessert and arctic. Then in a 5th wave, You get Serpentor, and and some more basic Joe characters.

Wave 1: Dusty/ Sand Viper, Road Block/ Dessert Scorpion, Flint/Major Bludd, Repeater/Metal Head, Sand Viper/ Dessert Scorpion, Lady Jay/ crypt

Wave 2: Deep Six/ EEL, Chief Torpedo/ Undertow, Shipwreck/ Moray, Depth Charge/ Hydro Viper, Hydro Viper/ EEL, CrossHairs/ tomb

Wave 3: Frostbite/ Snow Serpent, Ice Berg/ Snow Wolf, Diana/ Ice Viper, Snow Serpent/ Ice Viper, Duke/Destro, Kwin/ crypt

Wave 4: Recondo/Night Viper, Spirit/Viper, OutBack/Firefly, Pathfinder/ Zandar, Night Viper/ Viper, Page Adams/ Tomb

wave 5: Hawk/ Serpentor, Snake eyes/ Cobra Commander, Duke/ Dr. Mindbender, Hi Tech/ Techno Viper, Crimson Guard/ Viper, failed serpentor( monsterous figure)/ with growing tank

Each wave would include 2 small, and 2 large vehicles. Each with an exclusive figure. It looks like thats what Hasbro is doing now. As the listed 2 packs with vehicle drivers already realesed have been removed. And there would be one big playset, soemthing along the lines of the terror drome. Only something new. Aslo with each wave there would be a 3 pack of repainted previously released figures, with a dvd cartoon explaining the story for that wave, and why the Joes are always losing.