Gi Joe Film News

Dr. Hannibal Lector

Screenwriter Talks G.I. Joe

March 15, 2004 - IGN FilmForce's recent plug of ToyFare Magazine's interview with G.I. Joe producer Lorenzo DiBonaventura prompted a lot of feedback, including an item from none other than Joe screenwriter Michael Gordon.

Gordon assured us that the "G.I. Joe movie is based on the 80's Joe characters. (Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Destro, Baroness, Storm Shadow, Cobra, etc.) Period." In other words, there will be no Joes based on the classic 1960s characters, as DiBonaventura – whom Gordon praised as "a master producer" – seemed to suggest.

The screenwriter and self-proclaimed "Joe fanatic" also told us a tiny bit more about the film's sole new Joe character, Rex, who DiBonaventura said would be a major character. "Rex is just a first name (which actually came from Hasbro)," Gordon advised FilmForce. "Much like Duke is really Conrad, Scarlett is really Shana, etc. Rex will have a Joe handle just like every other character."

Gordon promises fans that "the G.I. Joe movie will ROCK!" and will be "chock full of blistering adventure, heart pounding heroism, high tech weapons and vehicles, and more crazy ninja action than you can handle." Sounds good!

Well, so far I think IMO, that the story that I am hearing now, is alot better than the ones we have been hearing, thanks for letting us know man.

I'm still unsure of this "live action" film thing! i'll go see it of course but i'm just not sure if its a good thing or not?

TM

well TM, ol' buddy , im sure this is gonna suck royally!

I mean, it already sounds sooo hollywood that Im waiting to see Ben Affleck and Matt Damon in it....I have big fears....I dont think Live action will work...

G.I.Joe is like LOTR....its to big of scale to capture...unless you get PJ to do it since hes a movie pioneer.....

oh well., well you get it'

It just blows my mind how quick people are to dismiss something. The movie is several months away from production and already everyone seems to hate it. As long as they don't "revamp" the toyline to match the movie I'll be cool...unless the movie is great in which case I'll want movie toys. But seriously guys, just wait and see how things shape up in the coming months before you start not liking it. Some people set thier standards way too high.

A note to the worried, DiBonaventura is also involved with the Hellblazer movie being shot right now. That project is notorious for straying from the source material, so Joe fans have a right to be worried about the GI Joe movie.

I would love to see a live action G. I. Joe movie, I just hope that they don't screw G. I. Joe up. I guess that we will just have to wait and see.

I have no problem with the movie being live action, as long as they get decent actors. And honestly, special effects all look good these days so that's another worry laid to rest.

The only problem I see so far is the actual story. Reading Toyfare's preview, it's going to focus on Duke as the main character and Duke's conflict with some "made for the movie loser" named Rex.

GI Joe is a team dang it!!!

Make about 2~3 small teams consisting of the fan favored Joes and have them working toward the common goal of stopping Cobra's plan. How hard is that? There should not be a single main character to focus on!

I honestly can't see much coming out of this thing if it ever see's the light of day. Cobra is not something you can easily translate into real life. I think it will either come out to corney or they will end up making Cobra look to much like Al Qaeda or something. GIJoe to be good has to balance that very thin line between reality and fantasy and its hard enough to do it in a cartoon or comic but a live-action thing doesn't seem to likely. I don't know maybe I just keep having flashbacks to those horid live-action comercials they used to do for the toys.

In terms of movie-making chain of command, from what I can tell, the producer out-ranks the writer. Additionally writers can be brought in to make revisions. The producers represent the groups financing movies so they generally have finally say in everything. The producer is probably more reliable than the writer, generally.

I would just like to know how some of you can condemn this movie before it even begins production. Folks, we're over a year away from even thinking about a release date. I have heard summer 2005, but I believe fall/winter 2005/2006 if not later since the TF movie isn't due til December 2006. How can you possibly say "this movie will royally suck" when practically nothing has been told about it?

What has Gi Joe become if something that is 14-18 months at least from release is being condemned already? Don't get me wrong, everyone has a right to think what they wish, but it is just staggering that people are already condemning this movie.

I have never been so disappointed with this fandom before. I refuse to stay in something that has gone this far downhill. I'm done with Gi Joe. Period.

Well I base my reaction on that I don't think something like GIJoe or Transformers for that matter will translate well into a good live-action movie. I certainly could end up being wrong but that is what my first reaction is. How could you not form some kind of opnion after hearing news about it? Im not really sure what there is to be disapointed in. Its just an opnion.

I would just like to know how some of you can condemn this movie before it even begins production. Folks, we're over a year away from even thinking about a release date. I have heard summer 2005, but I believe fall/winter 2005/2006 if not later since the TF movie isn't due til December 2006. How can you possibly say "this movie will royally suck" when practically nothing has been told about it?

What has Gi Joe become if something that is 14-18 months at least from release is being condemned already? Don't get me wrong, everyone has a right to think what they wish, but it is just staggering that people are already condemning this movie.

I have never been so disappointed with this fandom before. I refuse to stay in something that has gone this far downhill. I'm done with Gi Joe. Period.

@loll@

im with jayC i keep thinking of those commercials too! i have to say done right it could be an awsome movie though! but done wrong it will be a nightmare! anyboby remember streetfighter? WOO did that stink! how about judge dread,tank girl or the incredible hulk...proves even with a ton of bread holly wood can F'up a good thing! i hope its good i really do im just concerned about the effects of a bad movie on the toy line is all! of course the toys are pretty bad right now sooo maybe just maybe a movie will make them better? who know's????

Lector, if your gonna leave gijoe do it cause you dont like gijoe,dont do it cause you dont like its fans! thats just silly? one day we'll look back on this and say "remember when we fighting about all that stuff! haha they were good times!" stick it out man, things always, always get rough with new stuff and new things can anyone say removal of the 0-ring!! it always gets better! hey you may not like me,i may not like you... we all have stuff to say and it all has value, really makes things lively in here dont it! ;)

TM

You're one of the millionth people to "quit" due to the fanbase...

First: Lame excuse.

Second: Wouldn't you quitting G.I.Joe be counter to what you want?

-Kevin

the way i see it, i would rather have a real action gijoe movie made than not at all... i haven't posted here much but i have been around reading a lot of forums and most of the forums always had a topic about "what if a live action gijoe movie was ever made" . now we are getting what we want. TM, don't get me wrong, but the movies that you mentioned (street fighter, hulk etc) were crappy.....agreed (actually i did enjoy street fighter :wub: ) but haven't there been good superhero and action comic movies too. spiderman has done really good, LOTR and harry potter are doing extremely well.. (hey these are all fantasy movies). we all crib about spy troops the movie but don't you think atleast hasbro took a step forward for gijoe by making that movie? even the sunbrow and dic cartoons had lame plotlines in them.

as for me i can hardly wait for the movie to release or atleast more information regarding the movie as in the final list of gijoe characters that would be involved in the movie.

and why are even thinking about the movie not being good? i am sure i will like the movie coz its Gi joe.

the way i see it, i would rather have a real action gijoe movie made than not at all... i haven't posted here much but i have been around reading a lot of forums and most of the forums always had a topic about "what if a live action gijoe movie was ever made" . now we are getting what we want. TM, don't get me wrong, but the movies that you mentioned (street fighter, hulk etc) were crappy.....agreed (actually i did enjoy street fighter :wub: ) but haven't there been good superhero and action comic movies too. spiderman has done really good, LOTR and harry potter are doing extremely well.. (hey these are all fantasy movies). we all crib about spy troops the movie but don't you think atleast hasbro took a step forward for gijoe by making that movie? even the sunbrow and dic cartoons had lame plotlines in them.

as for me i can hardly wait for the movie to release or atleast more information regarding the movie as in the final list of gijoe characters that would be involved in the movie.

and why are even thinking about the movie not being good? i am sure i will like the movie coz its Gi joe.

i agree with ya, spiderman was excellent and i loved all the superman movies as well.. and X-men was pretty good..but my thinking was they (movie makers?) make things crap more then they make em' good! but i think gijoe has a 50/50 shot at being okay? like you said it's gijoe! i would prefer they made it based off the 12'' line.....let them guys worry about it ;)

i dont wanna get too far off topic but.. it seems to me that the 3 3/4 inch line gets handed the worst of everything...like it doesnt count, like hasbro could care less about what happens with it, like it doesnt have history that deserves better then it gets? thats all.

but whatever happens we'll have plenty to talk about!

TM

I've always had reservations for a hollywood made movie of G.I. Joe. The one major concern was that they're famous for making compromises. "Oh is this politically correct"; "will I offend this group?"; "will i offend that group?"; "is this movie racial/gender balanced so everyone will be 'happy'?" @rolleye@

Also, expecting a great hollywood movie involving US military is like going to Las Vegas and expecting to actually win money. True there have been some awesome military movies (like We Were Soldiers, Saving Private Ryan, etc.), but more often than not when they show our military (especially in fictional movies) it's not for positive reasons. They're the antagonists, involved in a scandal, betrayal, 'the guys who are trying to kill or prevent you from reaching your goal', or just plain buffoons.

Yep I can't wait to see Sean Penn as Beachhead.........But seriously, I truly WANT hollywood to prove me wrong. And I think eveyone who also has reservations about the movie also WANTS to be proven wrong. I really hope they actually make a quality movie without the BS and showing GIJoe as REAL AMERICAN HEROES.

My initial response to the GI Joe movie is that it will suck. But I'd love to be proven wrong. Personally, I want GI Joe to be much bigger than it is and I understand that their trying to cater toward the kids. If the Comic book had as many adult readers such as Spider-man than we would probably get a movie geared toward us. Unfortunatly thats not true, I expect the movie to be made more for the kids than anything else. But trust me, I want to be proven wrong. I'm not passing judgemnet, I'm just stating me current opinion.

I must also say that anyone that feels they need to quit being a GI Joe fan just because they don't like what a couple of other fans think, never belonged among adult collectors in the first place. Grow up.

I expect the movie to be made more for the kids than anything else.

Unfortunately, "made for kids" has been used too many times to cover up as an excuse for being poor.

The Movie Pirates of the Carribean had a good story, good acting, good action, good humor, good special effects...the total package.

...and kids loved it too!

Well well well, seems we have a big debate going on here...lol. Hmm.. I'd have to say I'm not real sure about a live action movie. I'm not condeming the movie because rest asure I'll be one of the first in line to watch it, but they do have some big shoes to fill. Thats just my 2 cents though. I beleave that I'll wait till later on when it comes out and I watch it to draw a final conclusion.