Who Influenced Your Musical Tastes???

Darthmaul33

For me it has to be my siblings, and cousins who dig classic rock. That's all I pretty much dig. Don't get me wrong, there are other genres that I like, but this is for me the main one.

How about you???

One of my best friends I have known since grade primary, all the way back, and we have been tight since.

He has a brother 2 years older so he kind of came hand in hand when hanging out with my friend. I got into music in grade 6 with stuff like OLP and Matthew Good Band, which somehow later progressed into Heavy Metal, via Chris (friends older brother). He got into it, made me listen to it whenever I was over, now I listen to it.

My bro who started listening to Heavy Metal when he was 7, so I listen to most of the 80's hair bands still. Then my grandparents who listened to a lot of country and blue grass. Now I have a bestfriend who has introduced me to the new bands of today. So all in all it's friends and family that influenced my music tastes.

My mum and dad.I have to thank my mum and dad for getting me into rock music. I went to a led zeppelin gig when my mum was pregnant with me! The first time I took Sith home, my parents were listening to carcass, he was shocked! If it wasn't for rock music, me and sith would of never met.

I never had any friends that liked rock music.My older brother is as into rock as what i am, but we both differ in what style/bands we like. My younger brother and sister have grown up, they now like rock music to after years of persuasion!

My mum and dad.I have to thank my mum and dad for getting me into rock music. I went to a led zeppelin gig when my mum was pregnant with me! The first time I took Sith home, my parents were listening to carcass, he was shocked! If it wasn't for rock music, me and sith would of never met.

I never had any friends that liked rock music.My older brother is as into rock as what i am, but we both differ in what style/bands we like. My younger brother and sister have grown up, they now like rock music to after years of persuasion!

Your parents were listening to Carcass!?!?!

Oh my god, that would be crazy.

The day I find my parents listening to No Love Lost, will probably be the same day the cat starts barking.

But if your parents are fans, that has to be easily the coolest thing ever, being able to carry an intelligent conversation of influencial metal with your parents.

I wouldn't say that they were fans of carcass, they just like their music. But otherwise, yeah its pretty weird my folks liking the same music.:)

Well im going to have to thank my dad for this one. Really i have to thank him for my life, no i dont mean if it wasnt for him my mum would have not got pregnant, i mean because of my dad getting me into rock music i met debgreb. One day my dad passed me alice coopers poison tape (i think he was sick of hearing kylie minogue, jason donavon and new kids on the block) and since the first listen i was hooked. He let me listen to some iron maiden on his headphones and i got into them a big way and my mum,dad and uncle took me to see them when i was 9 years old. (anthrax supported). A few years went by and i got into other bands from my dad but then i branched out a little bit and found bands for myself or from what others had told me about.(Like anthrax, finally saw the talent unlike when i was 9, megadeth, skid row etc etc) But all in all metallica are my favorite band. because of them i played the guitar and because of that i was in a so called rock band and met debgreb :) Deb got me into/more into cradle of filth, deftones, whitesnake, led zep, tool, lenny kravitz, green day, nirvana and a bit of nin and then because of the club we used to go to together i got into/more into other bands like rage against the machine, coal chamber etc. So a big thanks to my dad and to deb! I'll never stop liking rock/metal music. At the minute im getting heavier and heavier but i still listen to all types of rock. One minute its skid row and ac/dc then its dimmu borgir and soilwork.

I can't think of anyone who influenced my musical tastes. I just listen to what I want to listen to. Sometimes its rock, sometimes its pop rock, sometimes its talk radio, sometimes I even listen to a little symphony if I feel like it.

I can't think of anyone who influenced my musical tastes.

I'm the same for the most part, but I will say my best friend did a little. Mostly it depends on what type of mood I'm in as to what type of music I want to listen to. In the 80's it was a lot of the hair bands and pop rock, then some punk mixed in, then in the 90's it was rap, and metal. Now it's a mixture.

I agree friends influence music tastes. As for getting into bands etc debs brother has got me into some new bands.

I agree friends influence music tastes. As for getting into bands etc debs brother has got me into some new bands.

It's funny, but the only band that my friend really introduced me to that I really dig is U2, but the rest of the stuff he digs, is stuff I can't really get into. But he does listen to good bands, it's just not my taste.

Are you Debgreb's neighbor or something???

Not to sound like a smart ass, but listening to new music influenced my music tastes. Chuck Berry kicked off my old school rock, Radiohead changed the way I listen music in general, Elvis made me realize how powerful Gospel is, the list goes on and on. :)

My co-workers mostly, when I was about 13 they showed me the world of Rock, well Alternative type Rock, and got me away from that dreadful pop dribble.

As for the classics I like, my Uncle and Dad contributed there.

Are you Debgreb's neighbor or something???

ha ha err yeah something like that. I'm not sure what you americans call it but we call it marriage. only joking mate. Yeah we are married with 2 kids. Its great being into the same music.

AS for influences, i cant remember who it was but i recommended the band THE HAUNTED here in the tni music club and someone pm'd me thanking me for introducing them as he and his mate now love them.

Growing up in the early 80'2, my neighbors were african american, and their teenage son use to babysit me, and also his bedroom was right next to mine, so when I would be taking my nap or he was watching me, he would be blasting Run-Dmc, The Get Fresh Crew, Kurtis Blow, all of that classic rap, I think that's the reason I listened to rap and bought records at such an early age. I've always had a soft spot for old school rap. #US1#

My parents had a lot of tapes and listened to a lot of 'oldies' ('50's and 60's) stations, and I still enjoy listening to that type of music. They only had one Beatles album (Rock and Roll Vol. 2?); so, that didn't really 'take off' until I listened to some of their albums at a neieghbor's house. I can also thank my parents for my appreciation of John Wiliams, since I got the SW soundtracks as presents.

I was introduced to "Wierd Al" by a friend at school; and that has also continued to this day. :)

My brother was my huge influence in the musical world. He was one of those punks that were wreaking havoc in '94 with Green Day at that awesome concert people still talk about. All of his music choices were given down to me and I branced onto more and more things after that. Some bands to name are Green Day, Danzig, Misfits, Iron Maiden, Fugazi, Faith No More, Rancid, Pennywise, NOFX. The only band I listen too on that list much since then are The Misfits.

@pun@