What Is Your Favorite Book....

Devastator_2000

Favorite series? Hmm...

I'd recommend the first 3 Dune books (Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune), with a huge emphasis on the first one. The other 3 in the series are ok (God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune).

I'm not familiar with the Dune: House series (Atriedes, Harkonnen or I forgot...)

The Harry Potters are good too. I've the first four so far, and it is quite enjoyable.

I'm curious about two series myself:

Brian Lumley's Psycho-series (Psychomech, Psychoamok and Psychosphere). It's something about ridiculous mental powers and the Anti-Christ.

The other series is the Left Behind series. That's that huge religious fiction storyline which is still ongoing. But it has the Apocalypse....can't go wrong there!

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? - Philp K. Dick

Also, any short story by the same author.

Favorite series?  Hmm...

I'd recommend the first 3 Dune books (Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune), with a huge emphasis on the first one.  The other 3 in the series are ok (God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune). 

I'm not familiar with the Dune: House series (Atriedes, Harkonnen or I forgot...)

The Harry Potters are good too.  I've the first four so far, and it is quite enjoyable.

I'm curious about two series myself:

Brian Lumley's Psycho-series (Psychomech, Psychoamok and Psychosphere).  It's something about ridiculous mental powers and the Anti-Christ.

The other series is the Left Behind series.  That's that huge religious fiction storyline which is still ongoing.  But it has the Apocalypse....can't go wrong there!

There are two more books in the Dune series that Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson are writing.

I loved the whole Dune series, the House trilogy is pretty good too. I have not yet read the other trilogy that they are currently doing --- I'll wait until they're all out.

I liked Dune and God Emperor best with Heratics and Chapterhouse close behind.

I'm just about to finish Left Behind, but I don't think that I'll continue with that series as I've found it to be way, way, WAY too much born-again for me. Then again, I knew what I was getting into, but I thought that before I could slam it I had better read it. :)

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A Heinlein.

have you read The Cat Who Walks Through Walls?

it's basically the sequel to that book.

Heinlein is my favorite writer. I've only read one short story from him that I DIDN'T like. It was one of those earlier stories in the Waldo and Magic, Inc collection. Actually, I think it was Magic, Inc that I didn't like. Everything else by him is golden. Really.

I think my favorite thing from him is Time Enough For Love. It's all about Lazarus Long.

I've only read one short story from him that I DIDN'T like. It was one of those earlier stories in the Waldo and Magic, Inc collection. Actually, I think it was Magic, Inc that I didn't like. Everything else by him is golden. Really.

Ugh. Yes, I've had the misfortune of reading that one. It's the first short in a collection I bought last summer. I was so upset. It was a neat concept, but not 90 pages neat.

I really like He built a crooked house... which was the 2nd story in that volume, though.

Also, I have an old book, printed in 1975, collecting all of his Future History stories (excepting 3 about Lazarus, far as I know) in one volume. My buddy has gone absolutely nuts looking for a copy for himself. It's fascinating how he wrote them over the course of his whole career and in the end, they all tied in together to form one huge story.

I've only read one short story from him that I DIDN'T like.  It was one of those earlier stories in the Waldo and Magic, Inc collection.  Actually, I think it was Magic, Inc that I didn't like.  Everything else by him is golden.  Really.

Ugh. Yes, I've had the misfortune of reading that one. It's the first short in a collection I bought last summer. I was so upset. It was a neat concept, but not 90 pages neat.

I really like He built a crooked house... which was the 2nd story in that volume, though.

Also, I have an old book, printed in 1975, collecting all of his Future History stories (excepting 3 about Lazarus, far as I know) in one volume. My buddy has gone absolutely nuts looking for a copy for himself. It's fascinating how he wrote them over the course of his whole career and in the end, they all tied in together to form one huge story.

yeah, that is certainly true!!!!

I've read his entire body of work at least once, and most of the connected stories at least twice, if not more.

Is that collection of stories you mentioned called, The Past Through Tomorrow?

Also, have you heard of/seen the newly released, "For Us the Living"?

it's out in hardcover now.

There are two more books in the Dune series that Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson are writing.

I loved the whole Dune series, the House trilogy is pretty good too. I have not yet read the other trilogy that they are currently doing --- I'll wait until they're all out.

I liked Dune and God Emperor best with Heratics and Chapterhouse close behind.

I'm just about to finish Left Behind, but I don't think that I'll continue with that series as I've found it to be way, way, WAY too much born-again for me. Then again, I knew what I was getting into, but I thought that before I could slam it I had better read it. :)

Yeah, the Butlerian Jihad is out/being worked on. I'm a little curious about the fall of the thinking machines.

Way, way, way too much born again? That's a little too much for me. Maybe I'll check the first one out.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Anything that Stephen King writes is fine by me. My favorite novel so far has been "Needful Things". Great book!!

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A Heinlein.

have you read The Cat Who Walks Through Walls?

it's basically the sequel to that book.

It's also a sequel to Stranger in a Strange Land and the Lazurus Long stories. If you haven't read all of those you'll be confused or missing out on a lot of comedy.

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? - Philp K. Dick

Also, any short story by the same author.

Phillip K. Dick is a phenominal writer.