G1 Timeline

Opticon

Ok, I been watching S1 of the G1 toon over the past few days, and some timeline issues have come to mind.

So lets see....The autobots and decepticons leave cybertron, crash on earth, and 4 million years pass by. There was no time travel involved here (at least to the best of my knowledge), so are we supposed to assume that within 4 million years of cybertron history that nothing has changed? Shockwave just waited 4 million years guarding cybertron in hopes that megatron would someday come back? Wheeljack's lab is still in the exact state he left it in?

I know its a cartoon made for kids, who probably would never notice this, but come on.

Or have i just missed the boat completey?

It's never really cleared up, but Dreamwave took a stab at that missing era of time saying that there was a Great Shut Down for a large portion of that time... after all, they do state within the first like ten minutes of the first episode that Cybertron is in the danger zone as far as energy reserves are concerned.

In the comic, Shockwave comes back online and rebuilds Cybertron blah blah see G1 Vol 2.

In the Cartoon it is assumed sort of the same. That shockwave kinda kept himself in suspension while Megatron was away and 4 million years later when Megatron attempted to communicate with Cybertron it kinda turned Shockwave back on, who since that time did some Space Bridge research and what not...

Repowering Cyberton with Energon is one of Megatrons key goals in Season One... once it is repowered he will take it over, and then (somehow) the Universe.

That's my stab at your question at least...

It's a cartoon made for kids back in the 80s, that's really the only explanation there is. I mean, c'mon - half the time they couldn't even get the right voice to match the bot talking!

DW's comic interpretation is much more plausible - a great shutdown for much of that 4 million years to conserve energy.

Well before that Dreamwave explanation, and the one I gave ya above, back in the day when I was little watching the show (during it's G2 era with that stupid cube) I actually thought about it and thought it'd have been cool if the war had always been going on. I mean, we don't know how long 4 million years is to the Transformers... it could be an insignificant amount of time... Megatron could be a Trillion years old and there War could've been going on since the dawn of time. It could honestly be whatever you want it to be... it's a giant blank page in official G1 history... write it yourself if you want.

The 'Great Shutdown' doesn't make sense to me. Cybertronians are not bound to Cybertron ... if Cybertron shuts itself down to conserve energy, the Autobots and Decepticons wouldn't be effected by it. They could just leave the planet, like in the last issues of the Marvel series.

But I agree with some folks who said the idea of Shockwave keeping watch for Megatron while he took a four million year long snooze is totally unbelievable.

Tom

The 'Great Shutdown' doesn't make sense to me. Cybertronians are not bound to Cybertron ... if Cybertron shuts itself down to conserve energy, the Autobots and Decepticons wouldn't be effected by it. They could just leave the planet, like in the last issues of the Marvel series.

But I agree with some folks who said the idea of Shockwave keeping watch for Megatron while he took a four million year long snooze is totally unbelievable.

Tom

True but I look at it as they shut down so as not to die while parties were in search of energon. They could leave, true, but imagine if the earth had to evacuate. To get everyone off is near impossible. (I know TF arent as plentiful as humans), but it is the best explanation than a 4 million year war in which no one died or aged.

I'll bet the war was continuously going on during that 4 million year time span. If a Great Shutdown happened(ala DW) and the bots were affected by it, I don't beleive it would completely stop the fighting. By 1984 Cybertron was really low on power, and I bet SHockwave never stopped trying to communicate with Megatron. It only seems logical.