New Master Collector Newsletter

GGPiKE

My brother and I just joined Master Collector,we got some discounts on the Joecon stuff and I also believe you get some special access to areas at the Joecon reserved only for Master Collector members.

But yeah,their online catalog prices are a little too high,I'd sooner purchase them in stores...and they seem to slightly favor selling 12-inch exclusives and such over the 3-3/4ths stuff.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The target market *is* kids. Something you have to accept about every toyline you collect is that they are made for kids to buy. You're hobby is collecting kids toys.

That said, the age-range for action figures tends to fizzle around 9 or 10 now, so the target range of GIJoes is now from 6-10 year olds. If some kids stick around longer, great, but if they don't hook em at the target age, the likelihood that they'll start buying in their teens is slim to none.

As adult fans, we have to accept the product that's put out, and buy it if we like it. Repaints and store exclusives are, on the other hand, targeted at adult fans. They use the classic molds, fanboy nods like Action man, and teams like Python Patrol, to obscure characters like Short-Fuze and Zap. Two completely different toylines going here. Just buy what you like.

Its all objective. What you like may not be what I like. Just buy what you like, and you'll be happy.

Very well said.

Just saw the newsletter, pretty sweet, also shows the NF PG but it comes with the old JVC mold of Wild bill not the new mold :(

ALso shows the new jet and stuff, IT RULES!!! :)

Can anyone show us the pic with the NF Grizzly and repainted Bill?

Draven #US1#

Just noticed the new pairings this list brings about.

>>Wave 2 (February): (Note: AA means Action

Attack feature, CF means Carry Forward from a prior wave, in other

words, a re-release of the same figure in the same deco.)

Kamakura(Action Attack) vs Destro

Beachhead vs. Cobra BAT v4

Alpine vs. Swamp RAT

Hard Drive vs. Baroness

Carry Forward: Snake Eyes vs. Storm Shadow (AA)

CF: Neurotoxin vs. Razor Trooper.>>

We know that Snakes/Stormy is a carry forward because of low distribution in Wave 1. But the Neurotoxin/Razortrooper pack is *not* a carry over, it just consists of repainted troops, as an Army Builder. So the term "CF" is a loose term at best.

>>Wave 3(May):

Agent Jinx vs Cobra Slice (AA)

Sgt. Stalker vs. Firefly

Dusty vs. Zartan

Wild Bill vs. Coil Crusher (AA)

Tunnel Rat vs. Electric EEL

CF: Duke (AA) vs. Cobra Commander

CF: Snow Wolf vs. Cobra BAT v4>>

The Tunnel Rat pack that was pulled from Wave 2 to make room for Snakes/Stormy resurfaces here... but with an Electric Eel paired with Nicky Lee, instead of Cobra Slash, as originally planned. Probably because 3 AA figures in one wave would have been too much. And Shipwreck, who was originally paired with the Electri Eel, is now gone as well. I'd imagine they might come out in Wave 4, but then again, as one is a repaint, and one is a ninja, they may just be pushed back till next year.

It'll be interesting to see how this whole thing pans out. Either way, 2 BATs available in 2004 is a *good* thing for me! I *really* hope Overkill looks cool this year.

So far the most exciting news I've garnered from this is that we may be getting both the Snow Serpent (Snow Wolf) and BAT IV in the same 2 pack when Wave III comes around in May. I was already looking forward to the new Eel figure but I'm excited about this new announcement because it means that Hasbro is keeping up the momentum to release at least one troop builder pack with each new Wave this year, like they did with the new Viper and Alley-Viper. Although I'm still not sure if the new Neurotoxin figure packaged with the Razor Troopers is going to be a Cobra unique or a new trooper.

But other then that I'm dissapointed that we still haven't heard about any new Cobra vehicles and that this Ice Sabre (which really pisses me off because that's the name of a Cobra vehicle) makes the FIFTH new vehicle we've seen the Joes get, including the repainted Grizzly Tank. It seems like Hasbro can't make a single good decision without screwing up at the same time.

Ice Sabre looks alright, wish the front had wheels instead of skis. And all these JvC vehicles are so poorly armed.

I agree totally on three points here:

1) I really wish the snow cat had wheels instead of skis, it would make a great urban vehicle

2) the weapons that we've been getting lately really suck.

3) Thanos rocks! :D

It seems like Hasbro is having problems again with another two-pack,this one being Tunnel Rat/Cobra Slash.That two-pack was originally in VvV Wave 2,but I guess now it was pulled for strange reasons...maybe another case of Beach Head/Sand Viper again?

Damn I was looking forward to Tunnel Rat in wave 2. @grumpy@ But hey one less aa figure in that wave is a plus. I also cratch my head when Tunnel Rat replaces Shipwreck in the Eel pack. A Eel and Shipwreck make to much sense as a pairing I guess.

Draven #US1#

I'm going to let it go this time with the pictures but in the future please keep from posting pictures from the newsletter...

The newsletter is a service that Master Collector offers for members only who join and they lose money if the pictures are shown without membership...

I'm not trying to be an #$### about this but taking these photos and showing them here is the same as taking a ToyFare and scanning the pictures without their permission...

1) I really wish the snow cat had wheels instead of skis, it would make a great urban vehicle

That's why I want it to have wheels too. I use the current Snow Cat as an urban[/any environment] vehicle.

3)  Thanos rocks!  :D

Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet, rocks. ;)

I like what hasbro is doing this year, my only gripe is now we keep getting the same characters over and over again, I've lost count on just how many versions of snake eyes there are, I remember during the first arah line (82-98) there were some repeated joes and cobras, but come on, the line has so much more to offer, so far the only jvc major bludd comes with python patrol and he's just a repainted zap sonic fighter with a battle corps bludd head, Hasbro needs to step up to the plate and give us, The real collectors the royal treatment. I want to see scrap-iron, major bludd, the "other" dreadnoks (torch, buzzer,monkey wrench, thrasher, road-pig,nawgahyde, zandar). And joes, ha, where's mutt or an opened chested gung-ho (I know there's been gung ho versions, but come on he's a delta force brute). I want the good ol days, huge playsets (aircraft carriers, terror dromes, the works) hasbro is getting better with vehicles, the raptor is great, so's the ice sabre, I see possibilities with these, even bazooka is getting a 12 inch version with his classic jersey, so why is his smaller figure just another delta force army building tool? I'll tell you why, We as collectors must call 1800 327 8264 and be heard, e-mail hasbr.com and voice our protest of what they are doing to our beloved toyline and make a line in the sand, the line must be drawn HERE!!!!!!!!!! Yo-Joe!!!!

vvv201.jpg

Look kids!! It's Hank Williams, Jr. vs. Sock-Muppet Viper!! WOO HOO!! (lol)

Heh, heh...these pics actually don't look as bad as I thought from earlier pics, so I'm optimistic...for now. (lol)

The thing that has me excited, that no one else mentioned who has the newsletter is the listing for the "Spirit Iron Knife" 12 inch figure. CAn a 3 3/4 inch one be far behind?

yes it can...like an orange football Bazooka, a very, very long time

Photos have done the rounds recently of a new O-ring Storm Shadow figure: Essentailly a it was an O-Ring version of the JvC Wave 1 sculpt like Cobra Commander, CLAWS and the Neo-Viper got. Looked pretty good, not as decorative as the refit of the AA version some people thought we'd be getting, but a more practical looking outfit.

I'll have to agree with some of the others on this. They took a guy with a mustache and called him Bazooka! I don't hate the figure but it isn't Bazooka without the Jersey (just like Leatherneck is not Leatherneck without his original outfit). The Zartan figure will either be a no-name dreadnok or Zandar. I never hated the last version of Zartan we got. And I know it was kind of lame but I thought Hasbro was on the right track with the masks that Zartan got in the last wave. Kind of disappoints me to think they dropped the whole idea.

I'll have to agree with some of the others on this. They took a guy with a mustache and called him Bazooka! I don't hate the figure but it isn't Bazooka without the Jersey (just like Leatherneck is not Leatherneck without his original outfit). The Zartan figure will either be a no-name dreadnok

Nah I really like the more uniformed look, and really the only difference is the shirt: the rest of his gear is very similar.

I'm really nbot a fan of the uniform makes the character idea

I never hated the last version of Zartan we got.

I didn't much like it: mainly because of the large and bare chest: only putting on half their clothes has been something that has plaged too many Joe and Cobra figures IMO

Personally I think its good that Zartan's now got a different looking outfit that isn't a 70's Punk throwback...

And I know it was kind of lame but I thought Hasbro was on the right track with the masks that Zartan got in the last wave. Kind of disappoints me to think they dropped the whole idea.

It was a nice idea, but I think disguise fig's work better when there're more like the CG agent faces, ie the figure is based on the disguise, not the characters "primary" look, actually that commen applies to all of Spy Troops: if they'd treated that more like they treat Action Attack Now it would have had much more scope to actaully be any good as a theme.

I like what hasbro is doing this year, my only gripe is now we keep getting the same characters over and over again, I've lost count on just how many versions of snake eyes there are, I remember during the first arah line (82-98) there were some repeated joes and cobras, but come on, the line has so much more to offer, so far the only jvc major bludd comes with python patrol and he's just a repainted zap sonic fighter with a battle corps bludd head, Hasbro needs to step up to the plate and give us, The real collectors the royal treatment. I want to see scrap-iron, major bludd, the "other" dreadnoks (torch, buzzer,monkey wrench, thrasher, road-pig,nawgahyde, zandar). And joes, ha, where's mutt or an opened chested gung-ho (I know there's been gung ho versions, but come on he's a delta force brute). I want the good ol days, huge playsets (aircraft carriers, terror dromes, the works) hasbro is getting better with vehicles, the raptor is great, so's the ice sabre, I see possibilities with these, even bazooka is getting a 12 inch version with his classic jersey, so why is his smaller figure just another delta force army building tool? I'll tell you why, We as collectors must call 1800 327 8264 and be heard, e-mail hasbr.com and voice our protest of what they are doing to our beloved toyline and make a line in the sand, the line must be drawn HERE!!!!!!!!!! Yo-Joe!!!!

But keep in mind at the round table last year the creative team commented "we are always going to see the common figures, your snake eye's, duke's, cobra commanders etc......" but they also informed us there will always be new characters coming out as well. This is exactly what has happened this far and I do not see them changing at all in the near future.

I will agree again that is just not BAzooka imo. But i'm super excited to finally see Spirit is coming officially, even if its 12ch form. That means the 3 3/4 version that was rumored can't be far behind. And if the 12 version looks classic in design I may just break down and buy him. Spirit is just a fav of mine.

Draven #US1#