G1 Episode Reveiw Of The Week

Rodimus Primal

Our episode this week brings us to the first adventure that can be watched all its own at any time: Divide and Conquer. It starts off with an ammunitions plant that Chip is working at. Oddly the Decepticons come to drain its energy(from a place that makes weapons:ODD). Optimus Prime comes to the rescue and gets badly damaged before the rest of the team gets there. Then during repairs, Laserbeak sneaks in and attempts to extinquish his Laser Core(known in later series as "Spark"). A small team of Autobots goes to Cybertron to get the part Optimus needs. They get attacked by generic seekers with Acid Rain. Chip tells them they need courage. The Decepticons then go to eliminate the team still on Earth. The Autobots are outnumbered and almost gets slagged. The small team of bots comes in on time and the repairs can now be made on Optimus Prime. The Decepticons are loosing energy but are winning. Megatron challenges anyone to battle him. Optimus takes him on. Already weakened, Megatron looses the fight and the Decepticons retreat. To quick for a happy ending...

Oddities to point out:

-Laserbeak finally goes by his tech spec. He's a coward but MUST listen to Megatron's commands.

-Rhino fouls up the seekers more than usual again and Skywarp is colored like Starscream DURING his warps.

-Daiclone Ironhide makes an appearance. Obviously a miscoloring again.

-A fourth warrior that looks like Refelctor is sent to Cybertron. He is frightened to go across the Space Bridge.

-The make mention of the "old gang" on Cybertron. Besides what was already seen, this means there are plenty still living and fighting on Cybertron.

-Megatron transforms into gun mode and is in Starscream's hands. The next scene with Screamer has him firing with his arm cannons.

-Although this episode is written BEFORE the idea of the Matrix was in an Autobots chest, we see Prime's insides without the relic in his chest.

-The acid rain had NO effect on Chip. Strange, it should burn his skin.

The Prime/Seekers fight was pretty cool, though why didn't Soundwave get involved.

And then theres the fact that apparently Chip has VIP access to any plant with a computer.

Also the its going to explode, Prime stands in front of it....don't worry I'll shield you, but dont' try to get further away from the explosion.

And yeah chip should have been screaming worse then the Autobots.

While a flawed episode it was pretty good and had plenty of fight scenes in it that were worth watching.

oops, I messed up the order. the first one is suppose to be skywarp, but in the 3rd pic he turns out to be thundercracker, even though thundercracker is standing next to him.. self..

second pic has two starscreams, and two viewscopes :P

third pic is black ironhide :)

This episode was my most memorable as it was the first one I owned on VHS... ahhh I remember that stupid yellow (FHS was it?) video written in crayon before the episode began... and the cover had Starscream standing ontop of Prime saying something like "Prime is finished"... it looked like he punched him out.

This episode was one of the very best. Prime was shown to be super heroic and sacrificial to himself, and yet powerful as he tried to take on three seekers alone.

"Heat Seeking Missles Seek Heat"

I love that line... I think I say it at least once a week....

...great episode.... good times.

I owned three on VHS. Transport to oblivion, roll for it, and this one. I watched them over and over. The tape hasn't broke yet.

Also in that last pic CD put up, The cars are HUGE! Look at them next to Shockwave. I liked the other seekers.

I forget, is this the one where Optimus transforms REALLY SLOW? If so, I always liked that. Also Huffer carrying Prime's Trailer was a nice touch. I wish they made the toys like that.

This episode was my most memorable as it was the first one I owned on VHS... ahhh I remember that stupid yellow (FHS was it?) video written in crayon before the episode began... and the cover had Starscream standing ontop of Prime saying something like "Prime is finished"... it looked like he punched him out.

This episode was one of the very best. Prime was shown to be super heroic and sacrificial to himself, and yet powerful as he tried to take on three seekers alone.

"Heat Seeking Missles Seek Heat"

I love that line... I think I say it at least once a week....

...great episode.... good times.

Actually it was FHE. Family Home Entertainment.

I love that Heat seeking missle line too.

Ironhide really takes charge here. Peter Cullen almost made Ironhide sound like Optimus. Huffer did not carry his trailer in this ep. Ironhide, Trailbreaker, and Ratcher TOW him trailer and all.

The seeker battle in this ep is truly awesome. However, as seems usual for G1, animation qualities seem to vary without.

While I’m not up on my voice actor stuff, doesn’t Megs voice actor eventually change? It sounds really scratchy here; also Screamer’s voice doesn’t have its “echo” when he talks to Megs and the Autobots arrive…sounds funny!

Spike just said, “Nuts to that!”…ha, hilarious! and “Just like Sherlock Holmes with floppy disks” Ugh.

Even better, there’s no frickin’ way Prime could survive the damage caused by Laserbeak. That was one hell of an explosion!

Nice touch when Reflector gets shot and “folds into” himself!

Extra seekers…is one Sunstorm or just another generic?

Chip is still a dork.

Yeah Spike, take that huge gun…great job man! Does he seriously think he can do some damage (let alone carry) a gun bigger than him? Ha, ha.

Overall, I’m not too impressed with this episode, and I think it’s the weakest one thus far. Maybe about 1 and ½ out of 4; whereas the previous batch were either 3 ½ or 4 each. I guess ol’ Skyfire’s up next in “Fire in the Sky”!

The seeker battle in this ep is truly awesome. However, as seems usual for G1, animation qualities seem to vary without.

While I’m not up on my voice actor stuff, doesn’t Megs voice actor eventually change? It sounds really scratchy here; also Screamer’s voice doesn’t have its “echo” when he talks to Megs and the Autobots arrive…sounds funny!

Spike just said, “Nuts to that!”…ha, hilarious! and “Just like Sherlock Holmes with floppy disks” Ugh.

Even better, there’s no frickin’ way Prime could survive the damage caused by Laserbeak. That was one hell of an explosion!

Nice touch when Reflector gets shot and “folds into” himself!

Extra seekers…is one Sunstorm or just another generic?

Chip is still a dork.

Yeah Spike, take that huge gun…great job man! Does he seriously think he can do some damage (let alone carry) a gun bigger than him? Ha, ha.

Overall, I’m not too impressed with this episode, and I think it’s the weakest one thus far. Maybe about 1 and ½ out of 4; whereas the previous batch were either 3 ½ or 4 each. I guess ol’ Skyfire’s up next in “Fire in the Sky”!

Naw. The voices didn't change. Its really up to the director to what the voices end up sounding like. I agree that Prime should have been dead after Laserbeak's final attack, but it would have been stupid to kill a leader so early in a cartoon series. No that's not Sunstorm, its just a generic seeker.

What about when Reflector is loaded into the cruiser with the energon cubes to be sent to Cybertron. Which ever one of the seekers loads refers to him as just a warrior as if he is not even needed with his other two counterparts for their camera transformation.

If you notice he's like a fourth Reflector part that isn't actually important. That's why he doesn't have Reflector's voice.

This episode has a promising plot and story, but the execution does kinda suck. I like the idea behind it; Prime taking on the Seekers, the trip back to Cybertron, etc. But everyone's right - Prime should've died, Chip should've died, the animators (as almost always) confused the Seekers in the shot... just seemed to be a very spotty episode. Shockwave was like a hubcap on a tractor in trying to stop the Autobots, too - maybe I'm just jaded from the Marvel and DW comics, but I always perceived Shockwave to be just as big a threat as Megatron; his only flaw being a lack of personality to lead.